Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,508 members, 7,770,288 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:40 AM

Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat (40665 Views)

Poll: What would you rather buy? NOTE: Both cost the same amount!

PS3 Slim: 77% (7 votes)
PS3 Fat: 22% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

PS3 Slim Console For Sale With 10games + 4 Pads (SOLD) / Ps3 Slim 120gb Price In Lagos / Connecting Ps3 Slim To Internet Thru Mtn Fastlink-any Ideas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by utotomi50(m): 8:41pm On Feb 17, 2010
The PS3 fat actually looks better than the ps3 slim and actually has more features than the ps3 slim. Check out youtube for ps3 slim and fat comparisons.

Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by kosovo(m): 11:37pm On Feb 20, 2010
nope. you got it all wrong,  The Fat PS3 seen there was the first model that was stacked with numerous features, but due to price effect, Sony had to review the components and removed most of the components not needed by gamers, newer Fat model is exactly the same with the PS3 slim, except that the Slim has only one OS, but a new firmware update would totally remove the Linux OS from the Fat Ps3, This is a measure to end the PS3 hack saga
Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by Nobody: 11:46pm On Feb 20, 2010
I prefer the slim smiley
Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by utotomi50(m): 11:48pm On Feb 20, 2010
In the US, both the PS3 Slim and PS3 Fat sell for the same price $299. But in Nigeria, the PS3 Slim is more expensive. I like the PS3 Fat because it looks shinny and doesn't scratch easily while they removed the shinny effect from the ps3 slim.
Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by Nobody: 11:57pm On Feb 20, 2010
utotomi50:

In the US, both the PS3 Slim and PS3 Fat sell for the same price $299. But in Nigeria, the PS3 Slim is more expensive. I like the PS3 Fat because it looks shinny and doesn't scratch easily while they removed the shinny effect from the ps3 slim.
Wouldn't the fact that it's shiny make it easier to scratch?

1 Like

Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by utotomi50(m): 11:58pm On Feb 20, 2010
no the casing of the old PS3 fat is made of Vinyl. (ALmost impossible to scratch). They took this feature off the PS3 SLim.

Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by Nobody: 12:03am On Feb 21, 2010
utotomi50:

no the casing of the old PS3 fat is made of Vinyl. (ALmost impossible to scratch). They took this feature off the PS3 SLim.
Oh ok, thankyou. Yes, i know smiley
Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by utotomi50(m): 12:07am On Feb 21, 2010
Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by PrinceA3: 2:06am On Feb 26, 2010
All,

I need resellers for PS3 Slim style. Selling at N60k if you will be introducing other buyers. All brand new and sealed.

Princemill03@yahoo.com
Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by kosovo(m): 11:24pm On Mar 02, 2010
The fat is no longer in production, The slim is way better as it has a 45nm chipset and does not consume power. Comparing a pree 2oo7 tech and 2oo9 tech is obviously ridiculous,
Sony just acquired Media Molecules , Developers of Little Big planet
Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by utotomi50(m): 11:32pm On Mar 02, 2010
yeah I know, I'm just wandering why both sell for the same price of $299.
Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by utotomi50(m): 11:35pm On Mar 02, 2010
Anyways, as a game fan I also care about how my ps3 looks, I think the fat ps3 looks better than the slim one. I went to walmart and had the choice of buying a 250 GB PS3 slim or fat and they were both going for the same price. I obviously bought the fat ps3 cause it looks better.

(ANOTHER BIG DISADVANTAGE OF THE PS3 SLIM IS)

It is not backward compatible, so it cannot play ps2 cds, unlike the fat ps3.
Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by kosovo(m): 11:53pm On Mar 02, 2010
utotomi50:

Anyways, as a game fan I also care about how my ps3 looks, I think the fat ps3 looks better than the slim one. I went to walmart and had the choice of buying a 250 GB PS3 slim or fat and they were both going for the same price. I obviously bought the fat ps3 cause it looks better.

(ANOTHER BIG DISADVANTAGE OF THE PS3 SLIM IS)

It is not backward compatible, so it cannot play ps2 cds, unlike the fat ps3.

i am sorry only the original 60 GB PS3 and the 80 GB  PS3 MGS4 BUNDLE is/was backward compartable,

No other PS3 is backward compatible,  cheesy grin
It was removed to save cost.
and i have never heard of 250GB PLAYSTATION 3 FAT, the highest GB for the FAT was 160GB.
except you bought a 60 GB PS3 that was upgraded to 250 GB and certainly not by Sony. I guess it's a used PS3 fat,

FAT MODELS
PLAYSTATION 3 20GB----- NO Backward compartible emulator and/or chipset
PLAYSTATION 3 40 GB----- NO Backward compartible emulator and/or chipset
PLAYSTATION 3 60 GB---- ORIGINAL/first model, 4 usb port, card reader, B/C.
PLAYSTATION 8 80 GB ----- NO Backward compartible emulator and/or chipset/
BC made availabe for limited MGS4 Bundle.
PLAYSTATION 3 160 GB ---- NO Backward compartible emulator and/or chipset

SLIM MODELS
PS3 120 GB---- NO Backward compartible emulator and/or chipset
PS3 250 GB---- NO Backward compartible emulator and/or chipset

1 Like

Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by ritchboy(m): 6:22pm On Mar 04, 2010
Kosovo
u dont need to hyperventilate. Your friend is simply telling you the fat model looks better than the slim, which is very true, especially in it's vertical orientation.
Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by kosovo(m): 4:43am On Mar 05, 2010
ritchboy:

Kosovo
u dont need to hyperventilate. Your friend is simply telling you the fat model looks better than the slim, which is very true, especially in it's vertical orientation.
grin cheesy
Yes, But the Fat wass too heavy and too Big, GUSH!
Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by utotomi50(m): 4:45am On Mar 05, 2010
i don't think a ps3 is meant to be carried around like a laptop Kosovo! So what if its heavy! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin
Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by utotomi50(m): 4:58am On Mar 05, 2010
You decide which looks better:

Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by Bawss1(m): 2:58pm On Mar 24, 2011
^^ I think the Slim PS3 looks better.
Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by opskie: 7:51am On Apr 17, 2011

1 Like

Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by Chuckdee(m): 7:30pm On Apr 18, 2011
opskie:

U guys dont know what ure talking about, why wuld u think that a fat ps3 is better than the slim?? have u guys ever heard about the dreaded "Yellow Led Of Death" which is a fault thats mostly due to the ps3 overheating (the RSX & Cell Processor chips), this is an issue most fat ps3 users worldwide including me have experienced.
Fat PS3s consumes more power, generates more heat, noisy fan at times, and weight feels like a bag of cement when u carry it, asides from the glossy case finish, touch sensitive buttons & maybe vertical postioning i dont see nothing else special with the fat.
The slim is much better in design, lighter, consumes less power supply, generates less heat, has a super silent fan and is less likely to get a ylod.
Obviously the slim ps3 is a newer technology so what dyu expect? sony definitely have had to correct most faults the fat ps3 had.
The only users that can really say the enjoyed using fat are the ones that were lucky to get the more durable launch models which had 4usb ports+card reader slots, easy wi-fi and Backwards Compatibility, asides that nothing else, i dont even need the backward compatibility cos i still have my ps2 slim good and ever ready to play at any time.
Y'all may not know this too maybe cos u dont need or use the feature: Slim Ps3 also came with an extra added feature of supporting Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS HD Hi-Res Audio, & DTS-HD Master Audio which is outputted when u use hdmi cable connection for audio output for your blu-ray movie playback & Game audio, this gives you the most original sound/mindblowing sound effect experience shocked cool, (these are latest digital sound techcnology codecs capabilities) all which the fat PS3s dont have, so what are u telling me?
I bought a 40gb fat ps3 in 2008, i took very good care of it (still looks very brand new right now), played it less cos there was never really much free time for me, at the end it Yloded around late 2010 and i can even count the few numbers of games id played on it so far. i spent thousands of bucks tryin to fix the ylod all to no avail, and fyi repairing the ylod fault is a temporary solution as it comes back again, so ure left with no choice other than to sell the console and buy somtn else.
I still have my fat ps3 sleepin in its package right now and ive gone ahead to buy a slim 320gb move bundle, which we know doesnt have the glossy finish, cant stand on its side, and just simple touch buttons, but abegii forget all the glossy whatever, i just need somtn tht works fyne.
So as it is PS3 slim is alot cooler than u can imagine, jorrr oo. grin shocked shocked cool

Guy, the OP is actually talking about looks and his opinion is shared with alot of users. You derailed in most of your ranting (just like your other post about the effect of PS3 JB in 9ja shocked). The points I bolded isnt much of a point cos its quite true the HDMI chip on previous generations of the PS3 didn't support bitstream output of the new(ish) high def codecs like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. As such, the PS3 had to decode it internally before sending it over to your receiver via LPCM. A process that could garble the lossless audio depending on your setup. Even though the vast majority of people will never notice the difference (or even care)!
Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by opskie: 7:40am On Apr 19, 2011
Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by Chuckdee(m): 8:26am On Apr 19, 2011
^^^
I quite agree, you are very much entitled to your opinion. wink
Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by swankylay(m): 2:34pm On Oct 15, 2014
This really helped. My fat ps3 yloded of recent after few months of purchase. Not even ready to repair again after d first atuempt that lasted for just 10mins of gameplay. Wanna buy new but this time the slim. Does it ylod too N is it cooler n stronger than d fat? By stronger I mean long lasting wt no or little component(factory) faults

quote author=opskie post=8145644]U guys dont know what ure talking about, why wuld u think that a fat ps3 is better than the slim?? have u guys ever heard about the dreaded "Yellow Led Of Death" which is a fault thats mostly due to the ps3 overheating (the RSX & Cell Processor chips), this is an issue most fat ps3 users worldwide including me have experienced.
Fat PS3s consumes more power, generates more heat, noisy fan at times, and weight feels like a bag of cement when u carry it, asides from the glossy case finish, touch sensitive buttons & maybe vertical postioning i dont see nothing else special with the fat.
The slim is much better in design, lighter, consumes less power supply, generates less heat, has a super silent fan and is less likely to get a ylod.
Obviously the slim ps3 is a newer technology so what dyu expect? sony definitely have had to correct most faults the fat ps3 had.
The only users that can really say the enjoyed using fat are the ones that were lucky to get the more durable launch models which had 4usb ports+card reader slots, easy wi-fi and Backwards Compatibility, asides that nothing else, i dont even need the backward compatibility cos i still have my ps2 slim good and ever ready to play at any time.
Y'all may not know this too maybe cos u dont need or use the feature: Slim Ps3 also came with an extra added feature of supporting Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS HD Hi-Res Audio, & DTS-HD Master Audio which is outputted when u use hdmi cable connection for audio output for your blu-ray movie playback & Game audio, this gives you the most original sound/mindblowing sound effect experience shocked cool, (these are latest digital sound techcnology codecs capabilities) all which the fat PS3s dont have, so what are u telling me?
I bought a 40gb fat ps3 in 2008, i took very good care of it (still looks very brand new right now), played it less cos there was never really much free time for me, at the end it Yloded around late 2010 and i can even count the few numbers of games id played on it so far. i spent thousands of bucks tryin to fix the ylod all to no avail, and fyi repairing the ylod fault is a temporary solution as it comes back again, so ure left with no choice other than to sell the console and buy somtn else.
I still have my fat ps3 sleepin in its package right now and ive gone ahead to buy a slim 320gb move bundle, which we know doesnt have the glossy finish, cant stand on its side, and just simple touch buttons, but abegii forget all the glossy whatever, i just need somtn tht works fyne.
So as it is PS3 slim is alot cooler than u can imagine, jorrr oo. grin shocked shocked cool
[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by skywalker240(m): 7:37am On Jan 21, 2019
The fat looks premium and versatile (the 60gb model though. As it can play both ps1 and ps2 games), the only problem with it is the yellow light of death. Thats unfixable.
Re: Ps3 Slim Vs Ps3 Fat by Jekkyy(m): 2:46pm On May 09, 2020
Can anyone give a Candid opinion between Fat and slim Ps 3

(1) (Reply)

Pes 2020 Ppsspp Iso File Download Link {english} / Nigeria Is Not Included In FIFA14 Even After Winning Afcon 2013 / Pc Pes 2013 Keeps Crashing To Desktop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.