Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,595 members, 7,801,713 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:55 PM

Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) (57324 Views)

Lady Died During Sex Romp With Boyfriend Who Took Drugs In Kwara / If My Girlfriend Died During Abortion What Would Happen To Me? / Nigerians Must Prepare For Possible Ebola Outbreak - Toyin Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by cristianisraeli: 9:58am On Aug 20, 2017
RIP Nurse Justina Ejelonu. A young vibrant nurse who died while pregnant. You might not get the recognition you deserve but we remember you always.

RIP Dr. Adadevoh
RIP every Dr, Nurse and every other person who lost their lives as a result of the Ebola outbreak.
You were heroes and we appreciate you.

copied words above from HaneefahRN

I never contacted his fluids. I checked his vitals, helped him with his food (he was too weak)…..I basically touched where his hands touched and dats d only contact. not directly with his fluids. @ a stage, he yanked off his infusion and we had blood everywhere on his bed…..but d ward maids took care of that and changed his linens with great precaution. Every patient is treated as high risk ….if it were airborne, by now wahala for dey. i still thank God. Friends, up to our uniforms and all linens were burnt off. We are on surveillance and off work till 11th. Our samples v long bn taken by WHO n so far we v been fine.
Ms. Ejelonu's last Facebook post

How Many Of us Remembered That Yesterday Was Another Year Gone by since we lost Nurse Justina Ejelonu. Nurse Justina Ejelonu attended to Patrick Sawyer, a Liberian-American Ebola carrier who brought the disease to Nigeria, she passed away in a quarantine facility in Lagos after contacting the dreaded disease from him.

Until her death, the outspoken nurse, who worked at the B Ward – a male ward which was referred to as Ebola Ward – of the Yaba Mainland General Hospital, was at the center of a campaign to get the Zmapp experimental drugs to Ebola victims in Nigeria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_45DWqbx1M

46 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by cristianisraeli: 10:01am On Aug 20, 2017
Obioma (Justina) volunteered to be among the nurses that will attend to the patients, free of charge. She was really excited about offering her services free, to save lives. It was in the build up and preparation for the event, successfully held at Aba on 27th December 2013, that we got to interact more closely, online. She was always available at the medical service committee thread to make suggestions and liven up the thread with jokes and banters. Naturally, all the members of the team knew this lively nurse working then at Ijebu Ode, Ogun State.

Early this year, she moved to Lagos to resume at First Consultant Hospital Obalende. Her excitement was palpable even as she contacted one of our chapter executives to help get her accommodation in Lagos as well as introduce her to some Lagos based Igboville members. As expected, he did his best for her in fulfillment of our slogan "onye aghana nwanne ya" (don't leave your brother/sister behind). She relocated to Lagos and resumed at her new station.

Her later posts at the group and her facebook wall confirmed she was enjoying her new experience at the high brow Lagos hospital. Until the 25th of July when she made this post at Igboville wall:

"Friends,
thank God for me o. i had a close contact with the first Ebola case in Nigeria..:.Long story cut short, God saved me dearly. join me in thanking God.
(Jul 25th 2014)

http://www.nursingworldnigeria.com/2017/08/in-memoriam-remembering-nurse-justina-ejelonu

23 Likes

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by cristianisraeli: 10:03am On Aug 20, 2017
It's already two years down the memory lane when nurse JUSTINA EJELONU laid down her life for this country in the course of discharging her professional responsibilities as a nurse and safeguard Nigeria from been engulfed by Ebola Virus. The Government has not deem it fit to immortalised this selfless NURSE, this is sending a bad signal to the younger ones in the society. Even in United State of America, the sitting president visited nurses that contracted the disease. That Government has concerned for its citizen and many are willing to do the same in thier respective endeavours. When will Nigeria government accord due recognitions to its faithful, selfless and dedicated citizens?

NURSE JUSTINA EJELONU, you shall remain in our hearts forever, even if the government see nothing good in laying down your life, The Nigeria Nurses see extraordinary manifest of your nursing care. You shall be celebrated in the nursing world.

119 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by decatalyst(m): 10:09am On Aug 20, 2017
She would be regarded as a "saint" because only people with pure heart and compassion can be regarded a saint. She did all these things and saved people.

I will regard her as a patriot saint of medicine.

May her soul rest in peace.

214 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by cochtrane(m): 10:09am On Aug 20, 2017
Wow. This is so touching.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by aycorporat(m): 10:59am On Aug 20, 2017
I have copied the video of the nurse chronicling her lifestyle. I promise to make this nurse a heroine in her own way as is deemed within my capacity to spread the news of this wonderful woman with a heart of gold.

82 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:21pm On Aug 20, 2017
Dennis Akagha who was her husband to be also deserves praise for his love and care for this special angel.

When was the last day you saw Justina?

The last day I saw her, I had to go inside the ward because she was so unkempt as nobody attended to her. At that time, the quarantined patients were in the former facility where there was no water and she had messed up herself again. I had to look for water to clean her up, change her pampers and arrange her bedding.

Since I was aware of what I was dealing with, I got myself protected while cleaning up the place. I made sure she looked better than when I saw her. Justina was shivering the last day I saw her, one side of her stomach was already swollen, and her legs were also swollen. I prayed for her. At a point, she needed oxygen and the hospital couldn’t provide it. Her friends had to provide it. That was the last day I saw her.

On Sunday Morning, I called her line like I usually did before visiting her, but she didn’t pick her calls. When I got to the hospital, I was told that she was dead.

http://www.nigerianmonitor.com/how-i-survived-ebola-fiance-of-late-pregnant-nurse-dennis-speaks/

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:26pm On Aug 20, 2017
Thank you for your selfless service to make the World a better place. Some people are sent to this World to keep it safe from others who are out to destroy it.

Thank you for being a true angel and may God bless you, your family and love ones as they deal with this inconsolable loss.

42 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by MrHistorian: 8:33pm On Aug 20, 2017
She has exhibited selflessness and shown rare charisma.

She defied her own wellbeing in fostering a healthy society for me and you.

She is a heroine!!!

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by Okoyiboz3: 8:34pm On Aug 20, 2017
RIP to this brave lady who gave her life that we may be alive.

RIP to you and may your loved ones find comfort in your heroic deed.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by Kenneth205(m): 8:35pm On Aug 20, 2017
Rip

8 Likes

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by ekensi01: 8:37pm On Aug 20, 2017
Ayaa Buhari is back Ebola to leave in one week.
Sai baba

1 Like

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by darepapi: 8:37pm On Aug 20, 2017
RIP

1 Like

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by haywhy1026(m): 8:37pm On Aug 20, 2017
We so much appreciate ur selfless service....Infact U made us believe that Hero/heroine are not just born, they are made....continue to rest .....Nigerians appreciate ur sacrifice

17 Likes

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by marooh: 8:37pm On Aug 20, 2017
So?
Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by DonaTee(f): 8:38pm On Aug 20, 2017
Rest in peace justi.
I still feel shocked having to write rip but all is well.
Rest in peace amazing nightingale
Rest in peace selfless Ebsu amazon.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by Namzy(m): 8:38pm On Aug 20, 2017
My colleague and friend RIP

13 Likes

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by HaneefahRN(f): 8:40pm On Aug 20, 2017
Wow!
Nice one, cristianisraeli.

RIP Justina

11 Likes

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by bedspread: 8:40pm On Aug 20, 2017
THIS GOVERNMENT TO REMEMBER HER?ANYWAY I REST MY MATTER
cristianisraeli:
It's already two years down the memory lane when nurse JUSTINA EJELONU laid down her life for this country in the course of discharging her professional responsibilities as a nurse and safeguard Nigeria from been engulfed by Ebola Virus. The Government has not deem it fit to immortalised this selfless NURSE, this is sending a bad signal to the younger ones in the society. Even in United State of America, the sitting president visited nurses that contracted the disease. That Government has concerned for its citizen and many are willing to do the same in thier respective endeavours. When will Nigeria government accord due recognitions to its faithful, selfless and dedicated citizens?

NURSE JUSTINA EJELONU, you shall remain in our hearts forever, even if the government see nothing good in laying down your life, The Nigeria Nurses see extraordinary manifest of your nursing care. You shall be celebrated in the nursing world.

3 Likes

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by KendrickAyomide: 8:41pm On Aug 20, 2017
Nobody is remembering patrick sawyer grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by Okoyiboz3: 8:41pm On Aug 20, 2017
ekensi01:
Ayaa Buhari is back Ebola to leave in one week.

Sai baba

6 Likes

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by moscobabs(m): 8:41pm On Aug 20, 2017
Y
Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by Sleyanya1(m): 8:42pm On Aug 20, 2017
So sad.... R.I.P
Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by martineverest(m): 8:43pm On Aug 20, 2017
They saved a nation

1 Like

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by obinna58(m): 8:44pm On Aug 20, 2017
I'm sorry to those who would be pained by this statement

Nigeria is not worth dying for.

9 Likes

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by cristianisraeli: 8:45pm On Aug 20, 2017
HaneefahRN:
Wow!

yea same thing i said when i saw this on nairaland FRONT PAGE..the nurse deserves it and everyone that was involved...shout out to the moderators that pushed this to front page.awesome!!!

10 Likes

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by kings09(m): 8:46pm On Aug 20, 2017
Real heroes of our country.
Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by HaneefahRN(f): 8:49pm On Aug 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:
Dennis Akagha who was here husband to be also deserves praise for his love and care for this special angel.

When was the last day you saw Justina?

The Lagos State Ebola quarantine centre and Late Nurse Obi Justina Ejelonu
The last day I saw her, I had to go inside the ward because she was so unkempt as nobody attended to her. At that time, the quarantined patients were in the former facility where there was no water and she had messed up herself again. I had to look for water to clean her up, change her pampers and arrange her bedding.

Since I was aware of what I was dealing with, I got myself protected while cleaning up the place. I made sure she looked better than when I saw her. Justina was shivering the last day I saw her, one side of her stomach was already swollen, and her legs were also swollen. I prayed for her. At a point, she needed oxygen and the hospital couldn’t provide it. Her friends had to provide it. That was the last day I saw her.

On Sunday Morning, I called her line like I usually did before visiting her, but she didn’t pick her calls. When I got to the hospital, I was told that she was dead.

http://www.nigerianmonitor.com/how-i-survived-ebola-fiance-of-late-pregnant-nurse-dennis-speaks/

He really does.

He is one of a kind

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by motun2017(f): 8:50pm On Aug 20, 2017
May her soul RIP. so sad.

1 Like

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by SuperBlack: 8:51pm On Aug 20, 2017
Actually Buhari don't know her.
Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by Omoluabi16(m): 8:52pm On Aug 20, 2017
Naming a federal hospital or at worst any ward after this Lady won't be so bad. may God rest her soul. #Unsung hero

8 Likes

Re: Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) by Waspy(m): 8:52pm On Aug 20, 2017
May she find rest

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

7 Good Reasons Why You Must Take Corn Pap. / How A Cleaner Rubbished A P.hD Holder / Governor Obiano Transformed Onitsha General Hospital (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.