Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,603 members, 7,801,745 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:49 PM

2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian (1204 Views)

Throwback Photos Of Governor El Rufai Kneeling Before Obasanjo, Atiku, Buhari / South-West Monarchs To Save Osinbajo From Impeachment - The Guardian / Buhari’s Body Double Suspicion That Won’t Go Away - The Guardian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by HungerBAD: 1:51am On Aug 21, 2017
Published exchange of political letters between former President Olusegun Obasanjo and former President of the Nigerian Bar Association, Mr Olisa Agbakoba (SAN) may not be enough art yet to find their mind’s construction in the face at this time. Butthe exchange is quite instructive and didactic.

The point at issue here is that Chief Obasanjo last week

Asked Olisa Agbakoba, an eminent lawyer and human rights activist, to purge himself of passivity and get ready for leadership in the country. The former president conveyed this clear message in a letter he wrote in response to an earlier one by Agbakoba.

In a letter dated July 20, Agbakoba expressed concern to the General about the quality of leadership in the country and called for the mantle of leadership to be transferred to the vibrant youth.

The veteran lawyer in the letter quoted an iconic scholar, Chinua Achebe who had in 1983 noted in a little book that,“the trouble with Nigeria is simply and squarely a failure of leadership”. And so he blamed the country’s lack of progress on successive leadership that has outlived its usefulness and effectiveness as a result of old age.

Agbakoba, who also cited the like of the same Obasanjo, the late Nnamdi Azikiwe, Obafemi Awolowo, Ahmadu Bello stated that, “modern history of Nigeria was shaped by young people.”He, therefore, called on the intervention of the elder statesman to help Nigeria discover its own “Macron and Trudeau”. Part of his words to Obasanjo:

“It beggars belief that there is no culture among our political elite, to encourage younger people with new ideas to aspire to positions of leadership, in particular the office of the President…Your Excellency was 39 years when you became head of state. Zik was 40 when he founded the NCNC. Awolowo was 43 when he became premier of western region. Ahmadu Bello was 40 when he co-founded the NPC. Ojukwu and Gowon were in their 30’s when they took centre stage in Nigerian politics…

“It seems to me a great contradiction that after a young vibrant set of leaders got Nigeria off the ground in the early 60’s, Nigeria has steadily descended into chaos and is probably now ranked as one of the most ungovernable countries in the world.”

But Obasanjo, in his curt reply, said though he shared some of the sentiments expressed by Agbakoba, the senior advocate should understand that political leaders in his generation made “great efforts with determination, commitment, broad national outlook” to shoulder their responsibilities.

He said some of them were thrown into limelight by circumstances not of their own making but were able to record varying degrees of successes. The former leader said, however, that it is saddening that the younger generation, “have in most cases resorted to work avoidance in the quest for leadership”.“The point to ponder is how have the successor generation positioned themselves to lead?” Obasanjo asked.

“Most members of the younger generation of Nigerians are mostly contented with waiting for dead men’s shoes and are unwilling to beat an alternative path to leadership.“In such a situation, it is to be expected and actually it is human that those with some head start in life will not concede such advantages freely and based on their innate goodness.

“Some of these young people whose interest we canvass, have in the recent past, been a complete disappointment and failures in their various appointed or elected positions.

“So while these failed young men and women should not be a disincentive to support other young people, I don’t think that the older people should be excluded in our leadership recruitment process.

“For me if I find young men and women who have shown profound commitment and exemplary integrity in their various chosen careers and professions as well as zeal for the service of our fatherland, I will, of course, give such both my support and inspiration, not withstanding their age, circumstances or place of birth.

“Late Chief Awolowo and great Zik were younger than you when they threw their hats in the ring. It’s time to take the hard road. Olisa, it’s time to jump down from the fence and the siddon look corner.”

The exchange between two members of the old and new setups in the polity is a warning signal that project 2019is not likely to be an easy passage for Nigeria’s traditional rulers and kingmakers.

The debate and the battle between the “soldiers of fortune” (as Max Siollun calls them) who have been in charge of political recruitment and the hitherto complacent and complicit majority have begun. It is also important for the traditional kingmakers here to note that even the young ones we claim may have missed golden opportunity of learning history have been reading stories of past rulers that have ruled and ruined their country, thanks to citizen journalism.

Yes, citizen journalism, a digital genre that ruthless, wealthy tyrants and scoundrels cannot suppress. As Victor Hugo would have said of that kind of force, citizen journalism, is now an idea whose time has come. And so all the political soldiers in the world cannot repel it at the moment. Let no one, therefore be deceived into believing that the young ones are unaware of the identity of the political leaders and dealers that have looted and underdeveloped their country.

And as we, the older ones carelessly lost our mojo and dozed off when the raiders and election riggers had always organised themselves, the younger ones are daily vowing to be more vigilant. We have always remained complacent while the wicked political classwould be rigging elections and buying judgments at election tribunals to acquire dubious mandates they use only to loot the treasury with all their strength. The young ones who will be encouraged by Agbakoba’s wakeup call are saying, ‘Enough is enough! ‘We will keep vigil for the health of democracy and development’ this time.

That is why former President Obasanjo’s response to Agbakoba’s timely solicitation should not be ignored. And the reasons are not too far to seek. Obasanjo has become one of the issues in Nigerian politics and political recruitments. Some Pentecostal radicals would say the man is one of Nigeria’s “principalities and powers”. He can’t be an innocent bystander.

He is a member of the class of 1966 that has been in charge of political leadershipof this country for the past 51 years. He is always restless and restive about leadership in Nigeriahe has ruled Nigeria for 11 years. We will ask him for his testimony and stewardship before he flies away – not today, anyway.

As for Agbakoba, there are cogent reasons too to pay attention to his actions. He is one of the significant elders that most concerned citizens can look up to at this time. He has been a remarkable civil society activist, a reputable lawyer and former president of the Nigerian Bar Association. It is curious that he is not one of the old Justices of even the Supreme Court.

He has a lot of well-researched blueprints including how the maritime industry could be a more reliable revenue earner than oil and gas industry in the country. No one pays attention to that.So, it is not simplistic to claim anywhere that Olisa Agbakoba, founder of Civil Liberties Organization (CLO) is an icon when it comes to considering critical success factors for restoration of democracy in Nigeria 18 years ago.

In the same vein, Obasanjo’s interventions cannot be ignored. He is one of those we will ask to explain why he and his contemporaries allowed the rains to beat us for so long. We are now down and almost out. There are so many questions to ask the elder statesman at this time: The constitution the military tacticians (he is one of them) gave us through him in 1999 has become a source of noise and revolt. The political parties created they always use to recruit public officers have become leprous.

The National Assembly, unarguably the most veritable symbol of democracy has become an emblem of graft and shame. The judiciary hitherto known as the “last hope of the common man”has suddenly become embarrassingly unreliable. The presidency’s engine room has become so sickly that even the chief engineer, the secretary to the government of the federation, has been suspended 0n allegation of corruption.

What is worse, critical infrastructure, portable water, road networks, mass transit system, etcthat local governments provide elsewhere are virtually non-existent here – after trillions spent. Healthcare? The president has been receiving treatment abroad. He returned home only yesterday after more than 100 days. Education quality? All our leaders always go abroad for graduation of their wards because they have destroyed the education system that used to be part of the best in global context.

That is whywe need to stop agonising and start organising good men and women for project 2019. If we doze off again, we will have ourselves to blame. We should swallow our pride and vanity, organize good men and women who have capacity, integrity and discipline of execution to fix Nigeria’s broken walls. We should listen to Plato who warned along ago that, “The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men”.

All told, I recommend these few lines attributed online the other day to a good governance advocate, OlukayodeSalako:

We keep complaining and lamenting that we don’t like the way these people run Nigeria. We keep complaining Tinubu is an impostor; Atiku is corrupt; Fayose is behaving like a barbarian; Saraki has pocketed Kwara State; Babangida is a thief; Obasanjo is one of the problems of Nigeria; Aregbe is a religious fundamentalist; Elrufai is egocentric et cetera. But, when these people form new political parties, that iswhere all of us want to play politics and channel our votes. So, who is now the problem? The people of Nigeria or the people we are complaining about….

You don’t expect someone to create a political party; register it with his money and the name he likes; keeps running and building it with his money and efforts, and when it is time for elections, you now say he should sit down and you want to do everything without his influence and input… If Nigerians really want an ideal democratic movement where they could enjoy ideal democratic rights in line with ideal democratic principles, then they should do well to form one…. That is a clincher.

We will continue next week to build on this paradigm shift but let me call on all the good people who are as concerned as the good man, Agbakoba to brace up to take up leadership at any levels as the last man standing for One Nigeria has suggested, lest we will blame the same Obasanjo and his allied political forces after the 2019 elections.

Mynd44 Lalasticlacla Seun

http://guardian.ng/opinion/2019-before-obasanjo-dribbles-the-agbakobas/

Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by Nobody: 1:54am On Aug 21, 2017
The only thing that will save us in this country is REVOLUTION.

I'm tired of these old men ruling us....
I want young go-getter as the next President of Nigeria.
Let's be sincere to ourselves, Nigerian have the highest levels of education in the world and we are rule by old folks who cannt even operate smart phones.

Nigeria youths wake up stop fighting yourselves on this platform over PDP & APC.

You all saw Wike and Buhari yesterday? don't be surprise to see him with Fayosa tomorrow.

Get sense everyone fight for your right and fight for your future.

2 Likes

Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by sarrki(m): 2:00am On Aug 21, 2017
Same Agbakoba supporting the dis integration of the country ?

Was it not agbakoba that supported KANU ?

1 Like

Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by Deflorence(f): 2:19am On Aug 21, 2017
Nice, Educative,Encouraging and a Wake-up call.
I wonder when our youths will brace up and take our rightful positions.

2 Likes

Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by Deflorence(f): 2:22am On Aug 21, 2017
sarrki:
Same Agbakoba supporting the dis integration of the country ?

Was it not agbakoba that supported KANU ?

Allow people to read and digest what's written up there before distracting them with your hate for Kanu

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by sarrki(m): 3:10am On Aug 21, 2017
Deflorence:

Allow people to read and digest what's written up there before distracting them with your hate for Kanu

Please mechonu

1 Like

Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by Deflorence(f): 3:13am On Aug 21, 2017
sarrki:

Please mechonu
mu na gi abiaghi iko onu ebea. Say something reasonable for once

3 Likes

Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by maakano(m): 3:23am On Aug 21, 2017
Don't play or joke with Ebora Owu be guided.

1 Like

Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by HungerBAD: 3:23am On Aug 21, 2017
Deflorence:

mu na gi abiaghi iko onu ebea.
Say something reasonable for once

Hello,

Are you the lady based in Abia?if so check your email please.

Thanks.
Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by sarrki(m): 3:30am On Aug 21, 2017
Deflorence:

mu na gi abiaghi iko onu ebea.
Say something reasonable for once

If the reasonable thing to say is to support anything ipob is in support of I will never say it .

1 Like

Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by Deflorence(f): 3:32am On Aug 21, 2017
HungerBAD:

Hello,
Are you the lady based in Abia?if so check your email please.
Thanks.
Good morning. No, am in Anambra. Thanks for your kind gestures. I will forever grateful if you remember me.
I use a small phone so i can't send mails from nairaland.
Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by HungerBAD: 3:37am On Aug 21, 2017
Deflorence:

Good morning.
No, am in Anambra.
Thanks for your kind gestures.
I will forever grateful if you remember me.

I use a small phone so i can't send mails from nairaland.

Okay.

I am getting confused with the names in my inbox.

I apologize pls, but did you send me an email?

2 Likes

Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by Deflorence(f): 3:38am On Aug 21, 2017
sarrki:

If the reasonable thing to say is to support anything ipob is in support of I will never say it .
Am not telling you to support any group, but distracting people from understanding the contex of the news with your hate speeches is unacceptable.

1 Like

Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by Seguntimmy(m): 3:42am On Aug 21, 2017
Looking at the where the youths are placed in these country, I do :

Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by Deflorence(f): 3:42am On Aug 21, 2017
HungerBAD:

Okay.

I am getting confused with the names in my inbox.

I apologize pls, but did you send me an email?
I tried sending but don't know if it went through.
My Emai
Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by sarrki(m): 3:45am On Aug 21, 2017
Deflorence:

Am not telling you to support any group, but distracting people from understanding the contex of the news with your hate speeches is unacceptable.

Show me hate speech here,

Rather you are the one going off track here
Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by Deflorence(f): 3:52am On Aug 21, 2017
sarrki:

Show me hate speech here,

Rather you are the one going off track here
Sorry if am off track but please understanding the context of a post and commenting according is what the FORUM is meant for.

My humble opinion though.

1 Like

Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by sarrki(m): 3:54am On Aug 21, 2017
Deflorence:

Sorry if am off track but please understanding the context of a post and commenting according is what the FORUM is meant for.

My humble opinion though.

Deflorence baby

Agbakoba didn't believe in our constitution

He believes in kanu's course
Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by Deflorence(f): 3:56am On Aug 21, 2017
sarrki:

Deflorence baby
OK, YOUWIN. I rest my case, are happy now?

1 Like

Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by sarrki(m): 4:14am On Aug 21, 2017
Deflorence:

OK, YOUWIN. I rest my case, are happy now?

No victor No vanquish

We are all patriots

Both you and I want the good of our country

Only that our opinion varies
Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by idu1(m): 4:18am On Aug 21, 2017
sarrki:

Deflorence baby

What is your problem now?

Your matter is nauseating

3 Likes

Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by sarrki(m): 4:20am On Aug 21, 2017
idu1:

What is your problem now?

Your matter is nauseating

Please did we invite you to our conversation ?
Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by idu1(m): 6:31am On Aug 21, 2017
sarrki:

Please did we invite you to our conversation ?

you must think you are chatting in your WhatsApp.

4 Likes

Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by Nobody: 9:16am On Aug 25, 2017
cry HungerBAD I really wish you'd be online.

1 Like

Re: 2019: Before Obasanjo Dribbles The Agbakobas- The Guardian by fergie001: 10:42am On Aug 25, 2017
“Some of these young people whose interest we canvass, have in the recent past, been a complete disappointment and failures in their various appointed or elected positions.
That was for Yahaya Bello,and all the ipob,afonja shouting peeps

We keep complaining and lamenting that we don’t like the way these people run Nigeria. We keep complaining Tinubu is an impostor; Atiku is corrupt; Fayose is behaving like a barbarian; Saraki has pocketed Kwara State; Babangida is a thief; Obasanjo is one of the problems of Nigeria; Aregbe is a religious fundamentalist; Elrufai is egocentric et cetera. But, when these people form new political parties, that iswhere all of us want to play politics and channel our votes. So, who is now the problem? The people of Nigeria or the people we are complaining about….

Apt

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Celebrates Super Eagles For Holding Cameroon To A Draw ,(pics) / Progress report on "Python Dance" / IPOB: Ohaneze Youths declare Support for Proscription Of IPOB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.