Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,945 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) (20574 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? / Registered But Barely Driven Volvo S80 T6 For Sale 07030843024 / 2018 Volvo XC40 Unveiled As A Small Premium SUV - Photos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Ajadiboye(m): 8:38am On Aug 22, 2017
but it's manual from what I'm seeing. Manual Ke
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by muller101(m): 8:40am On Aug 22, 2017
VOLVO. Very old looking vehicular object. But I love it's engine
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by muller101(m): 8:41am On Aug 22, 2017
jashar:
the noise....
that's from the old models. It has double fan coats

1 Like

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Nobody: 8:41am On Aug 22, 2017
U can't handle the problem when it starts coming
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by jashar(f): 8:43am On Aug 22, 2017
muller101:
that's from the old models. It has double fan coats

oh. ok. i'm still stuck with that impression though....
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by muller101(m): 8:45am On Aug 22, 2017
barrydee:
Good day guys,
I need your honest answers. I drove a friend's car (2001 Volvo s80 2.8 T6 twin turbo charged Engine) over the weekend from Port Harcourt to Calabar and I was wowed. The handling was great especially the torque & power. No car saw my behind all through the journey and I felt totally safe even at speed up to 150kph. The gas mileage was better compared to a 3.0 Camry v6 not to talk of the stylish interior and club banging factory stereo.
My questions are :
-why do people avoid Volvo Cars?
-why do Volvo cars have poor 2nd hand value?
-Being a Swedish car, are the parts cheaper when compared to German cars(Benz, BMW etc)?
-The s80 has straight 5cylinder, 5cyl Turbo, straight 6cyl and 6cyl twin-turbo engines. Which of these engines is less problematic?

I currently own a 2001 Honda crv but Im considering the volvo s80 and i don't know if it's a good upgrade.
My Volvo enthusiasts in the house, over to you guys.....

op when u work on it's cylinder head that's when Volvo problem starts. First the valves then it's timing settings no be here o.
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by bigass123(m): 8:45am On Aug 22, 2017
Had a family friend that has never driven any other brand... All the cars they've bought are Volvos and I was like dem don swear oath with Volvo ni?
From the rugged ambulance wagon type to the latest designs...
Every club has got its own fan.. Period!

3 Likes

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by valarinz: 9:04am On Aug 22, 2017
Ermacc:
High fuel consumption.

Wrong!! Beer parlour hearsay

sod09:
they are mostly manual

Wrong again!! Another beer parlour hearsay
KingsleyCEO:
Hope you still remember what they say about first impression and how it matters most...

Their first cars were not in anyway close to being cool or sweet.

I agree with this, most people still think about the 70's models when Volvo is mentioned

jashar:
the noise....

You, my dear are one example of those

Ajadiboye:
but it's manual from what I'm seeing. Manual Ke

Perhaps, this is why some Nigga up there claims its mostly manual, forget that cloth you see around the gear stick, it's automatic transmission. BMW and Volvo do use that cloth mostly

Bye

3 Likes

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Nobody: 9:10am On Aug 22, 2017
Volvo is motor ndi mpa.
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by barrydee(m): 9:22am On Aug 22, 2017
wonderful comments I must say but it seems most people still judge volvo cars based on the old 1987 240GL we were used to when growing up back in the day.
The recent volvo cars are classy with quiet engines and enough power.

My final question is can routine servicing and maintenance prevent the volvo s80 5cyl from being a liability?
cuz from my experience, a guy who doesn't do routine servicing and maintenance will still end up complaining that 1999 Toyota Camry pencil light is a problematic car if he owns one.

2 Likes

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by tlops(m): 9:26am On Aug 22, 2017
Volvo is an expensive brand even in its native market (Sweden). It is known to be family friendly with high safety level. Personally, i have not seen many of it on Nigerian roads. But I like it.

2 Likes

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Cowmilk(m): 9:35am On Aug 22, 2017
Most people still judge volvo with d olden brands
newer bands are all encompassing with durability, good handlin, luxury, and safety. ..only dat to enjoy it, u must be a maintenance freak

BTW still enjoying my V40 with over 250k mileage and counting

1 Like

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by umuna(m): 9:45am On Aug 22, 2017
barrydee:
Good day guys,
I need your honest answers. I drove a friend's car (2001 Volvo s80 2.8 T6 twin turbo charged Engine) over the weekend from Port Harcourt to Calabar and I was wowed. The handling was great especially the torque & power. No car saw my behind all through the journey and I felt totally safe even at speed up to 150kph. The gas mileage was better compared to a 3.0 Camry v6 not to talk of the stylish interior and club banging factory stereo.
My questions are :
-Being a Swedish car, are the parts cheaper when compared to German cars(Benz, BMW etc)?
-The s80 has straight 5cylinder, 5cyl Turbo, straight 6cyl and 6cyl twin-turbo engines. Which of these engines is less problematic?

I currently own a 2001 Honda crv but Im considering the volvo s80 and i don't know if it's a good upgrade.

It is a great car! The reason most people do not look at Volvo cars is because there is a notion they have about the 244 model with a loud engine noise when revved. Also most Nigerians believe it is made for old people(Old school Lol). The parts are affordable especially if you reside in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Nobody: 9:51am On Aug 22, 2017
barrydee:

How about the availability of the parts? Have you bought the parts before or its just a "hear-say"? is it as expensive as Mercedes or BMW parts?
even cheap cars like toyota...oh, sorry that's not cheap...ehm Volkswagen, not cheap, Hyundai? Is that cheap, which one is cheap parts again?
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Nobody: 9:55am On Aug 22, 2017
Generally, we are not well informed, its good though, those of you who are will get good deals on buying cars Nigerians under-rate, my brother bought a Nissan Altima, 3 or 4 yrs ago, Nig used. Still enjoying the car, drove it with bad suspension for 2yrs! before he fiixed it...Engine problem? scanned it, changed 1 O2 sensor, good as new!

I bought a vw jetta 06 2.5litre, best car ever, runs like a BMW....

Once owned a honda accord, the clutch was always getting spoilt at odd places, once at 2 am in surulere when i went to pick up a unilag girl from hostel, luckily, i could drive it back home without a clutch
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Nobody: 9:58am On Aug 22, 2017
InvertedHammer:

The problem with Volvo is that it couldn't find its niche. It cannot compete with everyday Japanese cars like Toyota and Honda neither can it compete with the more luxury Mercedes and BMW. Nice ride though. I had an S60 once. Transmission problems are common.
//
say what?!!...isn't volvo swedish luxury ranked with your mercedes...i dunno, if i recall, European cars are generally ranked higher than the japs

2 Likes

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by preciousaang(m): 10:03am On Aug 22, 2017
Probably because It Is Used Mostly As A Funeral Ride For Corpses. Trust Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by nkemjacob2(m): 10:18am On Aug 22, 2017
volvo should work on their design. presentation matters. the car is strong
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by princetom1(m): 10:19am On Aug 22, 2017
EgunMogaji:

It does matter somewhat.

He'll at least get some good use out of the car for the first two years in Nigeria.

The fuckery that was done to my 4Runner makes me want to sit down and ask the offending Kazeem some detailed questions angry

PS: We're on the frontpage, now true fuckery will really commence smiley

The front page thing. Now is time to just fold hands and watch season film.

1 Like

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by princetom1(m): 10:20am On Aug 22, 2017
nkemjacob2:
volvo should world on their design. presentation matters. the car is strong

Have u seen the latest designs? The award they won are countless... Google Volvo xc 90 anything 2016 upward
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by symbianDON(m): 10:27am On Aug 22, 2017
if that car start electrical wahala with you ehnnn...you go think say na inside the car your village witches de do meeting grin the truth is a good number of Nigerian mechanics know next to nothing about volvo cars hence when the car develops any fault it starts to look like the spirit of chucky has possessed the car.

4 Likes

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by hardbody: 10:46am On Aug 22, 2017
barrydee:

How about the availability of the parts? Have you bought the parts before or its just a "hear-say"? is it as expensive as Mercedes or BMW parts?

Mercedes Benz parts are not expensive bro
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by MichaelSokoto(m): 10:58am On Aug 22, 2017
IPODS & IPADS luv Volvo cars especially d 70/80's model, OP Fo & find out. cool

1 Like

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by olaboy1: 11:18am On Aug 22, 2017
valarinz:

Compared to the cars you listed above, the S80 parts is way cheaper, no doubt

Reasons I don't like S80? The shape. Looks like a coffin or square carton to me, and besides its not fashionable and on-demand like the S60. That's assuming we're even talking about the 5cyl version, those T6 twin turbo get wahala wella so it's not even an option to me

Note that they all have the same body and interior oo, just when you open the hood you'll start seeing different engine types

I live in Sweden and I have used volvos, you are right about the coffin looks and this is designed from the Swedish model standpoint of what they refer to as "jante law" (google it), basically it means not too much and not too little. Most things here are bland and just there especially houses...if you want any WOW feelings then look outside of Swedish cars.

Volvo designs vehicles with the Swedish market 85% in mind, the cars are basically designed to be able to fit baby strollers in the trunk, they are not for a young metropolitan bachelor trying to turn up at quilox.

As for its maintenance I would say if you are not living in Sweden where you have almost everyone driving volvos then forget it.

The difference between Germans and Swedes is that Germans don't have any problems getting outside of the box technologically whilst Swedes even though highly literate in software, are too scared to technically be outside of the box and are tied by that jante law I referenced before and this could be seen directly from German cars and Swedish cars.....one of the reasons why today's Volvos are still referred to as coffins even after 90yrs in operation and modifications.

5 Likes

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by joinnow: 11:33am On Aug 22, 2017
If na old Volvo brosna fuel guzzler but newer model do not consum so much fuel but in term of fuel consumption Toyota and Hondas are better.
Nigeria used resale value (people go dey price you like say you thief the car but if its Toyota and Honda )their resale value make sense.
Put volvo for sale and put toyata and Honda. Volvo go remain for your car shop tire. grin
Beside mechanic and parts availability and affordability tongue
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Nobody: 11:34am On Aug 22, 2017
barrydee:
Good day guys,
My questions are :

I DECIDED TO REPLY YOU IN CAPITAL LETTERS BECAUSE I 'M PASSIONATE ABOUT VOLVO CARS. THE FIRST CAR I PURCHASED WITH MY MONEY IS VOLVO AND SO IS THE SECOND AND I HAVE NO REGRETS.

YOU HAVE MANY REASONS TO OWN A VOLVO.AND THAT REASON "IS THAT THEY MAKE THE SAFEST CARS IN THE WORLD" YOU CAN TAKE THAT TO THE BANK.

4 Likes

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by win2kwire: 11:39am On Aug 22, 2017
only volvo?
Why do they avoid commonsense!

1 Like

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by clemmonce(m): 11:41am On Aug 22, 2017
MaziOmenuko:

I do it too my bro, its not easy. You even have to research, make inquiries, tell the technician what to do and then give him just 5 minutes without supervision, you fvcks your car up like kilode. Its so frustrating!
no be lie do many many research and sit and wait for them while doing repairs and also telling them what to do ..... those kazeesm ehhhnnnn
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Doyin2(m): 11:46am On Aug 22, 2017
The reason is very clear.

Volvo when compared with a Japanese car of the same year,is significantly much more expensive.
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by barrydee(m): 11:55am On Aug 22, 2017
Thanks Guys
I'm currently doing a research on the difference between the S60 and S80 models.
They look almost the same but the S60 has a spottier look and smaller in size than the S80.
Being a Bachelor, I have started considering the S60 because the S80 seems it's meant for folks in their forties. ( My friend whose S80 I drove is in his 40s though)
The thing is I don't know if it will be as powerful as the S80 since it comes with just a 5cyl straight and 5cyl turbo (T5)engines.

Anyone with the S60 experience? share please.
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by belindar: 11:56am On Aug 22, 2017
I used the Volvo S80 for four years in Uk. It was the best car. Durable, efficient and very fast. These car were been used by UK police at a time. Nothing is wrong with the car. But u know Nigerians if someone start selling Bread and he/she is making good money from , you will see change their biz and start selling bread bread again. Some will even leave their profitable biz and start selling bread. That is Nigeria culture.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by NABAAUTOS(m): 12:01pm On Aug 22, 2017
barrydee:
Thanks Guys
I'm currently doing a research on the difference between the S60 and S80 models.
They look almost the same but the S60 has a spottier look and smaller in size than the S80.
Being a Bachelor, I have started considering the S60 because the S80 seems it's meant for folks in their forties. ( My friend whose S80 I drove is in his 40s though)
The thing is I don't know if it will be as powerful as the S80 since it comes with just a 5cyl straight and 5cyl turbo (T5)engines.

Anyone with the S60 experience? share please.

Here is a typical example.
Above is the S60 while below is the S80
The differenceis clear Bro

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Advised Against Honda Accord.... / Toyota Camry 2008 Vs Honda Accord 2008 - Which Is Better And Why? / Best SUV For 1 Million Naira Budget?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.