Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,343 members, 7,808,209 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:45 AM

My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection (3960 Views)

What Does The Letters On The Auto Gear Selection Mean? / Golf 4 Gear Selection Problems. Pls Help? / Camry 03.is Anything Wrong With My Throttle Position Sensor Or Gear Selection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by nickxtra(m): 1:29am On Aug 22, 2017
Gurus in the house, I wake up in this middle of the night to get your expertise views of what could be the problem with my car- a Nissan Primera saloon(auto).

The problem started when I took the car to a mechanic in Abuja, to change the oil seal(don't know if i get the name correctly). Thereafter I discovered that my car does not take off well again when climbing or after a slow down.

description of the problem:

The car moves well on starting and runs smooth, but when ever there is any slow down maybe because of traffick hold up or Abuja speed breakers, to move at once on accelerating, it drags and even keke napep may overtake it before it will gradually pick after making a high sound to select gear.

On a level surface or descending a hilly road, the vehicle runs smooth and can even compete with bigger cars in speed and does not have problem in gear selection untill a slight slow down or climbing a hill makes it not to pick on well, not untill after high sound before gear selection is done and it finally picks, by then a lot of vehicles would have left me behind, some of which I would later overtake again when the car comes back to its smooth state.

Efforts so far made:
They have checked/refixed the timing, which they said is okay.
They said the plugs were bad, which i have changed.
They said I should change the transmission oil and clean the auto filter/sensor, which I have done.
Even a fresh fuel filter and air filter were bought to change the old ones, the injector was cleaned, yet the problem persists.

Now, my brother (a mechanic), putting his hand at the exhaust tail while I raise the pedal, said there is a blockage somewhere in the exhaust, advising me to take it to a panel beater to rectify same, boasting to me that it will be normal after then.

Sirs, I have spent a lot of money and time. I dont want any gamble again.

From experiences on your part as cars owners and auto gurus, what could be the problem with my car?
For your kind attention: Gazzuz, Ikenna and all the gurus in the house.' Thanks in advance.
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by haywhy1026(m): 1:38am On Aug 22, 2017
ok
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by nickxtra(m): 1:40am On Aug 22, 2017
haywhy1026:
ok
What is okay?

1 Like

Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by Omo9ja: 2:27am On Aug 22, 2017
Not a guru but from your description, sounds like a transmission problem. Has the gear shift become stiff when you slow down in traffic?
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by nickxtra(m): 2:52am On Aug 22, 2017
Omo9ja:
Not a guru but from your description, sounds like a transmission problem. Has the gear shift become stiff when you slow down in traffic?
No, it does not.
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:19am On Aug 22, 2017
you seem to be taking off from 3rd or Fourth gear.

Scan transmission
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by mayor2013: 6:48am On Aug 22, 2017
Which of the oil seal did mechanic change? Would advice you run a scan on the transmission first. Sounds to me like a transmission problem
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by nickxtra(m): 11:12am On Aug 22, 2017
mayor2013:
Which of the oil seal did mechanic change? Would advice you run a scan on the transmission first. Sounds to me like a transmission problem
the one under. So, I should do a scan?
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by nickxtra(m): 11:13am On Aug 22, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
you seem to be taking off from 3rd or Fourth gear.

Scan transmission
Okay. Only the transmission, sir?
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:24pm On Aug 22, 2017
nickxtra:
Okay. Only the transmission, sir?

Scan all plus TPMS if you like.

post codes and interpretation of codes.
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by mayor2013: 1:21pm On Aug 22, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Doesn't this sound like a job done at the wrong time. Like the Toyota Lexus CV joint work/ gear box seal. Where transmission begins to go gaga grin
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by nickxtra(m): 3:23pm On Aug 22, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Okay, but what's TPMS?
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by Nobody: 3:41pm On Aug 22, 2017
nickxtra:
Okay, but what's TPMS?
An ejaculation of exasperation!
You never mentioned the year of your Primera. There are many types of Primera.
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by misterawo: 4:01pm On Aug 22, 2017
My Toyota Avalon 2012 model has this same issue. Please I need help.
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by mayor2013: 4:06pm On Aug 22, 2017
misterawo:
My Toyota Avalon 2012 model has this same issue. Please I need help.

If in Lagos call multiautolab on 08165520837 or 08156087872. Free diagnosis for you ends by 5pm August 23, 2017
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by misterawo: 4:09pm On Aug 22, 2017
mayor2013:

If in Lagos call multiautolab on 08165520837 or 08156087872. Free diagnosis for you ends by 5pm August 23, 2017

I'm in Benue.
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by mayor2013: 5:48pm On Aug 22, 2017
misterawo:

I'm in Benue.

Scan your car
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by nickxtra(m): 7:58pm On Aug 22, 2017
Costee:

An ejaculation of exasperation!
You never mentioned the year of your Primera. There are many types of Primera.
Costee! My Primera is P11 (1999-2002), 2.0i (a.k.a competence).
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by seunoresco: 8:09pm On Aug 22, 2017
yes the TPMS : TPMS = Throttle Positioning Monitoring Sensor . Am suspecting its the culprit. Get a technician to check the input wires to the sensor
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by Nobody: 8:11pm On Aug 22, 2017
seunoresco:
yes the TPMS : TPMS = Throttle Positioning Monitoring Sensor . Am suspecting its the culprit. Get a technician to check the input wires to the sensor
grin grin grin
Gazzuzz see what you've caused.
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by Nobody: 8:16pm On Aug 22, 2017
nickxtra:
Costee! My Primera is P11 (1999-2002), 2.0i (a.k.a competence).
Then yours must be CVT (if it's anytime after July 1999). Have you checked that the transmission fluid is not short? What fluid is in there? Is your check engine light on? When you switch the ignition on does the CVT light flicker for a number of times?
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:40pm On Aug 22, 2017
Costee:

grin grin grin
Gazzuzz see what you've caused.

chair I just taya grin
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by nickxtra(m): 8:42pm On Aug 22, 2017
Costee:

Then yours must be CVT (if it's anytime after July 1999). Have you checked that the transmission fluid is not short? What fluid is in there? Is your check engine light on? When you switch the ignition on does the CVT light flicker for a number of times?
No! It's not CVT. I think its earlier model or contemporary. Since when the car came in about 2 years ago, I have used Oando ATF Dexron III. Its been good untill when that mechanic did his works on the car and then the car began to misbehave the way it's doing now. The check engine light is not on.
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by nickxtra(m): 8:45pm On Aug 22, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

chair I just taya grin
No taya o!
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by Nobody: 8:49pm On Aug 22, 2017
nickxtra:
No! It's not CVT. I think its earlier model or contemporary. Since when the car came in about 2 years ago, I have used Oando ATF Dexron III. Its been good untill when that mechanic did his works on the car and then the car began to misbehave the way it's doing now. The check engine light is not on.
You didn't say whether the fluid is properly gauged.
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by Nobody: 9:01pm On Aug 22, 2017
sometimes my Golf 4 variant does same my mechanic said it fuel pump,maybe urs is fuel pump too
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by nickxtra(m): 3:39am On Aug 23, 2017
Costee:

You didn't say whether the fluid is properly gauged.
Okay. As at when the fluid changed (4 litres Oando Dextron III), it was. I think I will have to gauge it again.
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by misterawo: 7:11am On Sep 04, 2017
Thanks guys! I scanned my car and the technician detected a faulty KNOCK SENSOR. I have since changed it and the problems have disappeared. My car is accelerating smoothly and the gear is selecting smoothly too. I can't thank you guys enough for giving me that suggestion.
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by misterawo: 7:14am On Sep 04, 2017
dancok:
sometimes my Golf 4 variant does same my mechanic said it fuel pump,maybe urs is fuel pump too

Yes they also changed my dirty fuel pump filter. But the main problem is from the knock sensor. You can browse it.
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by Nobody: 1:28pm On Sep 04, 2017
misterawo:

Yes they also changed my dirty fuel pump filter. But the main problem is from the knock sensor. You can browse it.
ok,how much did u change ur knock sensor
Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by Readonee35L(m): 3:17pm On Sep 04, 2017
seunoresco:
Chai.
I dn laugh fall for chair o. grin grin

Bros Tpms means Tire-pressure monitoring system

Re: My Car Drags And Makes A High Sound Before Gear Selection by LeJeun3: 3:34pm On Sep 04, 2017

Allahu Akbar .....

seunoresco:

(1) (2) (Reply)

Used And Cheap Cars That Are Good For Transportation Business. (Photos) / Track Your Car With This Simple Device (Pics) / Super Weekend Deal: Honda Accord Evil Spirit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.