Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,571 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:38 PM

RX300 Rattling Noise At Cold Start. Need Help - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / RX300 Rattling Noise At Cold Start. Need Help (2600 Views)

Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side / Rattling Sound At Cold Start / Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

RX300 Rattling Noise At Cold Start. Need Help by mesheal7: 7:52am On Aug 22, 2017
My RX300 recently developed an issue. After sitting down for a few hours, when I start it up, it makes a loud rattling noise for about 1 to 1.5 seconds. After that, it runs very smoothly, but the startup noise is an issue (Sounds like yanking chain out of a metal container).

A mechanic checked it and said it is the intake Camshaft in the front side of the engine, he changed 4 Belgium ones but the sound remained. After that, he did a cleanup of the oil pan, oil sum filter, cleaned engine sludge, and replaced the oil (I use the recommended 5w30), but the sound is still there.

Right now I have no idea why this happens or what to fix, and my mechanic is just as confused. I saw online that this problem is pretty common, but most people, when they resolve their issue, they forget to update the thread.

Gazzuzz, Ikenna351, Sienna, others, your suggestions would be appreciated. Please help.
Re: RX300 Rattling Noise At Cold Start. Need Help by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:31am On Aug 22, 2017
mesheal7:
My RX300 recently developed an issue. After sitting down for a few hours, when I start it up, it makes a loud rattling noise for about 1 to 1.5 seconds. After that, it runs very smoothly, but the startup noise is an issue (Sounds like yanking chain out of a metal container).

A mechanic checked it and said it is the intake Camshaft in the front side of the engine, he changed 4 Belgium ones but the sound remained. After that, he did a cleanup of the oil pan, oil sum filter, cleaned engine sludge, and replaced the oil (I use the recommended 5w30), but the sound is still there.

Right now I have no idea why this happens or what to fix, and my mechanic is just as confused. I saw online that this problem is pretty common, but most people, when they resolve their issue, they forget to update the thread.

Gazzuzz, Ikenna351, Sienna, others, your suggestions would be appreciated. Please help.

since sludge is involved, check screen filters for VVTI. theres still a slim chance you have wear on crankshaft and bearings, which cause temporary oil pressure loss.
Re: RX300 Rattling Noise At Cold Start. Need Help by mesheal7: 8:58am On Aug 22, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

since sludge is involved, check screen filters for VVTI. theres still a slim chance you have wear on crankshaft and bearings, which cause temporary oil pressure loss.

Thanks Gaz. Id communicate this to him. Question, is this filter screen same as the oil control solenoid, cause he changed that.

Also, about the sludge, there really wasn't much. The oil was black yes, despite that I change often. But we hardly found sludge particles during cleaning, nothing significant on the sum filter either.

2 Likes

Re: RX300 Rattling Noise At Cold Start. Need Help by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:47am On Aug 22, 2017
mesheal7:

Thanks Gaz. Id communicate this to him. Question, is this filter screen same as the oil control solenoid, cause he changed that.

Also, about the sludge, there really wasn't much. The oil was black yes, despite that I change often. But we hardly found sludge particles during cleaning, nothing significant on the sum filter either.

your exact engine. screen filters for vvti solenoid are under the 14mm bolts my finger is on.

1 Like

Re: RX300 Rattling Noise At Cold Start. Need Help by mesheal7: 6:57am On Aug 23, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

your exact engine. screen filters for vvti solenoid are under the 14mm bolts my finger is on.

Oga Gazzuzz thanks a bunch for the pictures. I'd show this to him. However, he still insists it is something with the camshaft not locking in place and a second mechanic shares his view.

I'd suggest he checks this filter. I find it hard to believe that the 4 cams we changed were all worn.
Re: RX300 Rattling Noise At Cold Start. Need Help by mesheal7: 6:57am On Sep 25, 2017
This is solved. After spending more than two weeks with the first mechanic, he still couldn't fix it. I decided to relax and try again after a while.

Last week I was introduced to another mechanic and I told him the history of repair attempts. He said he would not charge a dime before service, but that when it's fixed, he would give me the bill. His confidence surprised me.

I dropped it, picked it up the next day, and the noise was gone. In less than 24 hours this guy fixed what I spent the better part of a month trying to fix with another.

It turns out the issue was indeed the camshaft. But instead of replacing just the one in the front bank (the previous mechanic strongly insisted that only that one needs to be changed even when I suggested he changed both) the new mechanic worked on both engine banks.

And that was it. My lesson, and advice to everyone, if a mechanic tries for a couple of days and can't fix your issue, find another mechanic.

Thanks Gazzuzz for your help!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: RX300 Rattling Noise At Cold Start. Need Help by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:32am On Sep 25, 2017
mesheal7:
This is solved. After spending more than two weeks with the first mechanic, he still couldn't fix it. I decided to relax and try again after a while.

Last week I was introduced to another mechanic and I told him the history of repair attempts. He said he would not charge a dime before service, but that when it's fixed, he would give me the bill. His confidence surprised me.

I dropped it, picked it up the next day, and the noise was gone. In less than 24 hours this guy fixed what I spent the better part of a month trying to fix with another.

It turns out the issue was indeed the camshaft. But instead of replacing just the one in the front bank (the previous mechanic strongly insisted that only that one needs to be changed even when I suggested he changed both) the new mechanic worked on both engine banks.

And that was it. My lesson, and advice to everyone, if a mechanic tries for a couple of days and can't fix your issue, find another mechanic.

Thanks Gazz.uzz for your help!

Give it a few days and a long drive wink
Re: RX300 Rattling Noise At Cold Start. Need Help by chukel(m): 10:08am On Sep 25, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Give it a few days and a long drive wink
lol. Evil.
Re: RX300 Rattling Noise At Cold Start. Need Help by chukel(m): 10:09am On Sep 25, 2017
mesheal7:

Thanks Gazzuzz for your help!
I must commend u for the feedback. But give it a few days as chief said.
Re: RX300 Rattling Noise At Cold Start. Need Help by mesheal7: 2:40am On Oct 16, 2017
chukel:
I must commend u for the feedback. But give it a few days as chief said.

Its been weeks now, and I've travelled quite some. Noise is gone smiley

5 Likes

Re: RX300 Rattling Noise At Cold Start. Need Help by 3kay945(m): 9:42pm On Oct 16, 2017
mesheal7:

Hurray! grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: RX300 Rattling Noise At Cold Start. Need Help by Kassiny(m): 1:36am On Dec 18, 2020
mesheal7:

Point of information..
I learnt alot on your post and feedbacks.
Very educating.
Thanks
Re: RX300 Rattling Noise At Cold Start. Need Help by naijadrivablog: 8:37pm On Dec 18, 2020
Kassiny:

Point of information.. I learnt alot on your post and feedbacks. Very educating. Thanks
You go sabi keep malice. A comment of 2017 na em you "correct" for 2020

(1) (Reply)

Help Please, Can You Recommend A Car Shipping Agent In The US? / 20W50 Oils! Read And Stop Demonizing It. / Import Duty/clearance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.