Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,024 members, 7,807,008 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:33 AM

3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' (3652 Views)

8 Important Things God Does When You Praise & Glorify Him - Apostle O.J Komolafe / "God Would Do It Is A Slogan Of The Indolent" - Bishop Oyedepo / Deeper Life Bible Church: Facts No One Would Tell You About The Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by jetson06: 9:04am On Aug 22, 2017
Please read this guys, I want your opinion on this article. I think I find this article really disturbing. What do you think?

The recent premiere of HBO's Game of Thrones drew a record-setting 10.1 million viewers. Coupled with digital viewers, the show averaged 25.1 million viewers last year. It was by far the most-watched show on television, nearly double the viewers of the second-place show.

Why is Game of Thrones so astoundingly popular? What does its popularity say about us?

I must begin with a disclaimer: I have never seen Game of Thrones, for reasons I'll explain in today's article. But internet reviews are so abundant that it's not hard to identify reasons for the show's enormous popularity. Each of them says something frightening about our culture today.

One: The plots are unpredictably complex. As Forbes notes, "Central characters are killed, psychopaths claim power, weddings become bloodbaths and bad guys develop consciences as time passes." The show is built on the premise that there is no logic to life, that we live in a chaotic world with no central purpose or direction.

Two: The show embraces amorality. "Good" characters make horrific mistakes, while "bad" characters act redemptively. One psychologist lauds the "progressive tolerance" the show legitimizes. In a postmodern culture that views all truth as personal and subjective, the characters legitimize our rejection of right and wrong.

Three: All sexuality is endorsed. Rape, lesbianism, sex between siblings, prostitution and other acts so despicable I won't mention them hereā€”all are regular fare. As millions of people watch such perversion, they are desensitized and far more likely to embrace the "sexual liberation" the show articulates.

Four: Violence is normalized. Heads are crushed, people are stabbed through the eye, victims are burned alive, mass murder is depicted graphically. Why is this a problem? Exposure to media violence is clearly linked to violent acts as watching violence changes brain patterns and alters behavior.

What would God say to Christians tempted to watch such ungodliness?

One: Guard your heart. Scripture teaches us to "Keep your heart with all vigilance, for out of it are the issues of life" (Prov. 4:23). We are commanded to "think on" whatever is "pure" (Phil. 4:cool. Our thoughts determine our actions, which determine our lives (Prov. 23:7).

Two: Guard your witness. Our skeptical culture looks for reasons to reject our faith. If we are ungodly, how can we call others to be godly? "A truthful witness saves lives" (Prov. 14:25, ESV).

Three: Guard your relationship with God. Would you want your parents to watch you as you watch the nudity and violence depicted on Game of Thrones? Your heavenly Father sees all that you see. His Spirit lives in you and is subjected to whatever your experience. "Do not grieve the Holy Spirit" (Eph. 4:30, MEV).

Jesus taught us, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God" (Matt. 5:cool. Thus, we can see Game of Thrones, or we can see God, but we cannot see both.

This article originally appeared on The Denison Forum.

Readers are Leaders! Subscribe now and get 3 magazines for the price of 1. Get Charisma, Ministry Today and SpiritLed Woman all for $24. YES - Sign me up!

3 Reasons Why you should read Life in the Spirit. 1) Get to know the Holy Spirit. 2) Learn to enter God's presence 3) Hear God's voice clearly! Click here to draw closer to God!

See link below:
https://www.charismanews.com/opinion/66853-3-things-god-would-tell-someone-who-watches-game-of-thrones?utm_source=Charisma%20News%20Daily&utm_medium=email&utm_content=subscriber_id:1367604&utm_campaign=CNO%20daily%20-%202017-08-18

1 Like

Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by Nobody: 9:26am On Aug 22, 2017
First and foremost, you've not watched the movie but you could pic summaries from the internet to write what you claimed is ungodly about it...clap for yourself. There's nothing that was acted there that didn't depict what the world we live in today is like. I could relate that movie plot to the political happenings in Nigeria where elections are a do or die affair with all sort of betrayal for power.

There are lot of moral lessons one could pick from Game Of Thrones if you're an ardent fan. One I got from the character 'Tyrion Lannister' is that even as a dwarf, he didn't let his physical disability define him. He found abilities in disabilities and used them to his advantage.

Another thing I realized in that movie is that; there's no good in evil. The case of Jammie and the Stark boy he pushed down, he got his hand chopped off. Cersei got a public humiliation, and I'm sure she'll die in a gruesome manner 'cause evil doesn't pay.

Don't condemn what you don't understand.

9 Likes

Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by obisco4u: 9:40am On Aug 22, 2017
Yeah no body wants to read the boring bible and listen to brain washing sermons from pastors.
Game of thrones is exciting, has a nice storyline and there's a lot of banging! So who cares what God thinks. Let him start his own tv series.

12 Likes

Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by jetson06: 9:54am On Aug 22, 2017
I am not condemning the show but i only wanted view on the article because I was shocked reading it.
I don't understand Christianity of these days. Everything na sin and me i haff tayad ooo!!!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by jetson06: 9:56am On Aug 22, 2017
Read the first line of the post and and refer to the link below.

kimbra:
First and foremost, you've not watched the movie but you could pic summaries from the internet to write what you claimed is ungodly about it...clap for yourself. There's nothing that was acted there that didn't depict what the world we live in today is like. I could relate that movie plot to the political happenings in Nigeria where elections are a do or die affair with all sort of betrayal for power.

There are lot of moral lessons one could pick from Game Of Thrones if you're an ardent fan. One I got from the character 'Tyrion Lannister' is that even as a dwarf, he didn't let his physical disability define him. He found abilities in disabilities and used them to his advantage.

Another thing I realized in that movie, is that there's no good in evil. The case of Jammie and the Stack boy he pushed down, he got his hand chopped off. Cersei got a public humiliation, and I'm sure she'll die in a gruesome manner 'cause evil doesn't pay.

Don't condemn what you don't understand.

Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by Nobody: 10:07am On Aug 22, 2017
jetson06:
I am not condemning the show but i only wanted view on the article because I was shocked reading it.
I don't understand Christianity of these days. Everything na sin and me i haff tayad ooo!!!
I thought you were the writer. Anyway, This has nothing to do with God nor Christianity. It's someone's idea of what should and shouldn't be.
Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:39am On Aug 22, 2017
jetson06:

go view the show, and then come and give us your own views... and to hell with all these oversabi deluded xtians that are quick to label anything sinful

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by frank317: 3:36pm On Aug 22, 2017
jetson06:

U totally condemn the show....

But unfortunate for u, I followed the show without a single sign of learning or carrying out all those imoralites u mentioned.
Rather, I enjoy the plot, intrigue and twist. I also admire the brilliance of the writer of such a wonderful story.

Buy what are u doing, u sit Ur lazy ass in ur room to condemn such creativity because ur dumb Jesus who has done nothing for the world hates Intelligent people.
I am sure Jesus would have loved a world where humans are stil trecking all over the place like he did 2000 years ago... He would have loved a boring world like the nonsense he is building in heaven where he intends to turn u all to singing pods.

U speaking of gruesome deaths, what's more gruesome than ur God watching and enjoying adults rape kids without doing nothing? What's more gruesome than your God planing to burn millions of humans over and over again for the rest of their lives?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by jetson06: 3:43pm On Aug 22, 2017
Mad man i the OP did not compose this jibberish.

I shared for you all to comment because i am quite surprised at such a write up.

I the OP has also provided the link to the write up. Read before you condemn me.

frank317:

U totally condemn the show....

But unfortunate for u, I followed the show without a single sign of learning or carrying out all those imoralites u mentioned.
Rather, I enjoy the plot, intrigue and twist. I also admire the brilliance of the writer of such a wonderful story.

Buy what are u doing, u sit Ur lazy ass in ur room to condemn such creativity because ur dumb Jesus who has done nothing for the world hates Intelligent people.
I am sure Jesus would have loved a world where humans are stil trecking all over the place like he did 2000 years ago... He would have loved a boring world like the nonsense he is building in heaven where he intends to turn u all to singing pods.

U speaking of gruesome deaths, what's more gruesome than ur God watching and enjoying adults rape kids without doing nothing? What's more gruesome than your God planing to burn millions of humans over and over again for the rest of their lives?
Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by Ranchhoddas: 7:56pm On Aug 22, 2017
The writer of this crap is repressed. He needs to spend some time in Littlefinger's establishment.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by Ranchhoddas: 8:02pm On Aug 22, 2017
jetson06:
Mad man i the OP did not compose this jibberish.

I shared for you all to comment because i am quite surprised at such a write up.

I the OP has also provided the link to the write up. Read before you condemn me.

Next time you see something like this, please keep it to yourself.
Don't make people upset unnecessarily.
In times past, the bearer of bad news was executed.

To make reference to the show, two guards at Winterfell were afraid to pass the message to Sansa that a girl at the gate was claiming to be her sister etc etc.

1 Like

Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by bloodofthelamb(m): 12:14am On Aug 23, 2017
BELOVE! IT IS WELL WITH YOU
Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by prinzfavian(m): 1:47am On Aug 23, 2017
One thing I've noticed about being an atheist is that it doesn't take away pain,suffering and sadness. it only takes away hope... Still can't understand why a peck of dust called human will say there is no God... SMH

1 Like

Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by Amberon11: 3:43am On Aug 23, 2017
Dude you owe no one no apologies. Quit making it seem like you do.

Your post was directed at Christians rights? Don't let these God haters ruin your day, nice thread.
Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by NPComplete: 5:45am On Aug 23, 2017
Ranchhoddas:

To make reference to the show, two guards at Winterfell were afraid to pass the message to Sansa that a girl at the gate was claiming to be her sister etc etc.

Hahahaha. There was a time when such people were asked to fall on their swords.
Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by bennyann: 6:24am On Aug 23, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
In times past, the bearer of bad news was executed

Can you imagine? Who has turned you to this? You can send a direct message without being petty.

Who are you to tell him what and not what to post? Since everything is relative to you guys, shouldn't you think bad news is also relative? All because of a movie, you now remember bad news bearers were executed?

He is in his house, go and execute him undecided

I don't know why you should also allow yourself to be upset unnecessarily.
Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by NPComplete: 6:32am On Aug 23, 2017
bennyann:

Can you imagine? Who has turned you to this? You can send a direct message without being petty.

Who are you to tell him what and not what to post? Since everything is relative to you guys, shouldn't you think bad news is also relative? All because of a movie, you now remember bad news bearers were executed?

People don't have a sense of humor anymore.
It was joke. That should have been obvious from the exaggerations he used about being upset unnecessarily and people being executed for bearing bad news. He is just telling us how much he himself loves Game of Thrones with that exaggeration. Na wa o
Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by bennyann: 6:54am On Aug 23, 2017
NPComplete:

It was joke. That should have been obvious from the exaggerations he used about being upset unnecessarily and people being executed for bearing bad news. He is just telling us how much he himself loves Game of Thrones with that exaggeration. Na wa o

After you guys came for the op like a storm, you're now saying it's a joke.

What's joky about "please keep the news to yourself next time you see something like this?"

Such an advice in a forum as this? undecided After making a statement like that to a member of the forum, you can now call it a joke?

Please enjoy the joke alone.
Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by NPComplete: 7:21am On Aug 23, 2017
bennyann:

After you guys came for the op like a storm, you're now saying it's a joke.

What's joky about "please keep the news to yourself next time you see something like this?"

Such an advice in a forum as this? undecided After making a statement like that to a member of the forum, you can now call it a joke?

Please enjoy the joke alone.

U are analice107, aren't u? Only her takes herself this seriously.
Shift and carry your boring self elsewhere jare. I don't have the time this morning.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by bennyann: 7:25am On Aug 23, 2017
jetson06, most recent movies have all the mentioned characters you think should not be emulated, even in short movies.

A video shoot or series shouldn't dictate how one should live. Take the good part of it and leave the rest. I'm sure there are very good lessons from it if one looks deeper than what is being watched.

We're in the world dear, it's impossible to abstain from all things pertaining to this world. All you have to do is to please God in everything you do while in this world.

If you ask me, I will say anyone who is against watching game of Thrones shouldn't watch any other series or movies also. And it would be kind of hypocritic if you've ever watched a similar movie, yet you're against GOT.

The objects are never the issues, human beings are. We are the problems because only we can tell and control how a thing affects us or dictates for us. If your mind have issues with any object and can't stand it, then stay away from it.

There are better and important things to guide how we live than focusing the rules on the movies we watch. Life is way more than that.
Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by bennyann: 7:30am On Aug 23, 2017
NPComplete:

Shift and carry your boring self elsewhere jare. I don't have the time this morning.

701ecilana
Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by JackBizzle: 8:38am On Aug 23, 2017
NPComplete:

grin grin

Lwkmd

1 Like

Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by frank317: 8:57am On Aug 23, 2017
Ranchhoddas:

Lol... Even the way he presented the topic... He deserves a date with whitewalkers
Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by NoWorries7(m): 12:29pm On Aug 23, 2017
Stop watching those movies for a year, and see how you will grow spiritually...
Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by NPComplete: 12:32pm On Aug 23, 2017
bennyann:

701ecilana

Yeah I know it's u. Hope u are having a nice day.
Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by JackBizzle: 12:47pm On Aug 23, 2017
NoWorries7:
Stop watching those movies for a year, and see how you will grow spiritually...

If spiritual growth is so important, churches should stop taking tithes and offerings for a year

1 Like

Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by NoWorries7(m): 12:54pm On Aug 23, 2017
JackBizzle:

If spiritual growth is so important, churches should stop taking tithes and offerings for a year
Don't look at the church, look at Jesus christ... Follow him only, and his teachings. For those churches, will soon be no more.
Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by Ranchhoddas: 2:15pm On Aug 23, 2017
bennyann:

My dear Benny, of the three people that mentioned my post, only you did not see the humour therein.
What has robbed you of your ability to recognize humour?
Could it be the weight of your faith?
Do you watch the show?

2 Likes

Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by Ranchhoddas: 2:18pm On Aug 23, 2017
NPComplete:

Leave her be.
It's the weight of the cross she carries.
Salvation is expensive.
Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by bennyann: 2:21pm On Aug 23, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
My dear Benny, cheesy
of the three people that mentioned my post, only you did not see the humour therein.
What has robbed you of your ability to recognize humour?
Could it be the weight of your faith?
Do you watch the show?

No, not yet.

When all of you pounced on him, you then expect me to side you and see the joke in it. I'm a voice to the voiceless.
Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by bennyann: 2:25pm On Aug 23, 2017
NPComplete:

Yeah I know it's u. Hope u are having a nice day.

You know it's who? This one you're sounding so caring now I hope I'm safe?

Anyway let me know if you know who you're quoting first
Re: 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' by JackBizzle: 2:27pm On Aug 23, 2017
bennyann:

No, not yet.

When all of you pounced on him, you then expect me to side you and see the joke in it. I'm a voice to the voiceless.

undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pastor Moses Alu Of Bride Assembly Church Lagos / Rules Of Holy Living / Confusion: See How The Bible Contradicts Itself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.