Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

Learn From History... Maitaisine! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Learn From History... Maitaisine! (3375 Views)

The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. / Igbos Should Learn From History & Vote Muhammadu Buhari- Igbo Group / Biafra: Only Fools Learn From Experience, The Wise From History – Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Learn From History... Maitaisine! by oladeebo: 9:05am On Aug 23, 2017
COMMISSIONS OF INQUIRY
Unserious Nigerian governments will set up committees to look into the ‘immediate and remote’ causes of a crisis only for them not to adopt the recommendations of such panels or inquiry or committees and that explains why we keep having a recurrence. The one instituted by the Federal Government on Maitatsine was headed by the late retired Supreme Court Judge, Justice Anthony Nnaemezie Aniagolu who died in July 2011. The commission dismissed claims that Maitatsine was sponsored by Israel, Libya, Saudi Arabia or even a political party. All the blame was heaped on his head.
Re: Learn From History... Maitaisine! by oladeebo: 9:05am On Aug 23, 2017
LAX POLICING METHODS
In a nation where police officers are in the pockets of politicians, it is very difficult to combat crime. Maitatsine had been arrested before a couple of times but on each occasion, he called on his friends in high places and secured his freedom. With each bout of liberation, he became more emboldened until he transformed into a monster that almost swallowed up the politicians themselves.
Re: Learn From History... Maitaisine! by Intrepid01(m): 9:09am On Aug 23, 2017
@oladeebo: May God bless you for this write up you posted here, As a lover of history I have heard about the Mai tatsine crisis of the '80s but never knew it was so big worth reading about. Hmm, man will continue to learn. I just keep wondering about several things I do not know but I need to know.

I am more interested in the last part of this write up that speaks to how he was able to mobilise such a multitude of followers. Mobilising people is one of the most difficult things to do in life. So many attributes are needed on a continuous basis. Yes I know that hunger, mis rule and even loss of hope in government are enhancing factors. But I so much believe there are more to it. Especially in terms of the Mobiliser; what draws people to him, how he must continuously wet the appetite of the followers with motivational even if it is brain-washing messages. How he carefully reads their expectations and provide direct and indirect answers to their concerns in speeches. These and many more are key to mobilizing people.

I would like to hear your views on this and you could probably recommend books for me on this.....Cheers brother!!

These are desperate times....something bigger than anyone is coming ahead of Nigeria....only a fool cant see it. We all need to take an active part in it!
Re: Learn From History... Maitaisine! by oladeebo: 9:13am On Aug 23, 2017
PERVASIVE SUPERSTITIONS
In 2011 the World Bank released a report stating that the Northern region of Nigeria has the highest rate of illiteracy not in Africa but on earth. As if that was not enough, in April 2013, the Central Bank Governor, Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi revealed that 93% (read that again, 93%) of girls in northern Nigeria are illiterate. In such an environment with such a thick atmosphere of ignorance, it is very easy for superstitious beliefs to spread about people like Maitatsine. During his time, many believed that he even had magical powers and bullets could not penetrate his followers. The fact is that no matter the amount of the magical powder you rub on your body, a bullet will not sweat before piercing your skin. If you need real ayeta, go get the latest Kevlar vests.

A very negative impact of these baseless superstitions is that they demoralize the police. During the onslaught on Maitatsine, many police officers were very reluctant to go smoke him out, some officers did not even bother to report for work at their respective stations, they simply disappeared (who wan die) while the few unfortunate ones drafted out to confront the full wrath of Maitatsine were already psychologically defeated, they were fighting from a position of fear and trepidation, all because of superstitious rubbish. Education, is the key. For Nigeria to bloom, she must experience an explosion in information technology and a revolution in the education sector. When that time comes, we will stop holding up criminal elements as mythical and indomitable figures worthy of adulation or honour but hold them accountable for their actions as criminals. Spread the message of love and tolerance. Violence begets violence and no cobra will birth a dove.

Thank you very much for your time.
Re: Learn From History... Maitaisine! by oladeebo: 9:43am On Aug 23, 2017
Intrepid01:
@oladeebo: May God bless you for this write up you posted here, As a lover of history I have heard about the Mai tatsine crisis of the '80s but never knew it was so big worth reading about. Hmm, man will continue to learn. I just keep wondering about several things I do not know but I need to know.

I am more interested in the last part of this write up that speaks to how he was able to mobilise such a multitude of followers. Mobilising people is one of the most difficult things to do in life. So many attributes are needed on a continuous basis. Yes I know that hunger, mis rule and even loss of hope in government are enhancing factors. But I so much believe there are more to it. Especially in terms of the Mobiliser; what draws people to him, how he must continuously wet the appetite of the followers with motivational even if it is brain-washing messages. How he carefully reads their expectations and provide direct and indirect answers to their concerns in speeches. These and many more are key to mobilizing people.

I would like to hear your views on this and you could probably recommend books for me on this.....Cheers brother!!

These are desperate times....something bigger than anyone is coming ahead of Nigeria....only a fool cant see it. We all need to take an active part in it!
Education is our main problem in Nigeria, in all aspects, political, economics and social.
going to school mustn't end up in gaining white collar job but for the acquisition of basically knowledge and technique of know how, that will preoccupy the wasted human resources that will develop the mineral resources for the stability of our nation.
Also it's come to a necessity to transform the Arabic scholars into the Arabic world standard education that will cut out the children of this nation from the control of evil preachers and religious fanatics.
Thanks
Re: Learn From History... Maitaisine! by abbaapple: 10:15am On Aug 23, 2017
Wow! Dats all i can say.
Re: Learn From History... Maitaisine! by Oladimejyy(m): 11:31am On Aug 23, 2017
Oladeebo God bless you...
cc:Seun...
cc:Mynd44...Please push this history to front page
Re: Learn From History... Maitaisine! by oladeebo: 10:55pm On Aug 23, 2017
but why it's the foreigners that always cause headache to Nigeria?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking: Niger APC Chairman, 25,000 Members Join PDP / Breaking Up Nigeria Because Of Fulanis Is DUMB. Discuss. / As President Buhari Clocks 79, A Focus On Achievements, Challenges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.