Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,461 members, 7,808,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:46 PM

How Do I Introduce An 8 Year Old Boy To Programming - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Do I Introduce An 8 Year Old Boy To Programming (1441 Views)

CS50P: Harvad University's Introduction To Programming With Python / My Journey To Programming / Are You New To Programming? Want To Learn But Do Not Know How? Come In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Introduce An 8 Year Old Boy To Programming by praises16: 11:11am On Aug 24, 2017
Good morning
please I wish to introduce a boy of 8 years old to programming. but I don't know how to go about it.
such as which programming software to start with etc.

please I seriously and urgently need your advice.
thanks a lot.
Re: How Do I Introduce An 8 Year Old Boy To Programming by greatnaija01: 11:22am On Aug 24, 2017

1) use MARVIS BEACON typing game to gain his interest

2) Let him watch cartoons that are computer inclined or cartoonized computer tutorials

3) On Holidays take him to summer ICT classes if you are in Lagos

4) Watch only HACKER or PROGRAMMING movies so he picks interest.

There tons of games on APPSTORE that involve codes or hacks or stuff like that

Let him do little assignments like typing long lines of codes that can make things colorful when executed.... due to the colors he will gain interest in the codes

Maybe you can download the LOGO programming language IDE and he will love it cos its "child friendly" and from there he can move to JAVA

praises16:
Good morning
please I wish to introduce a boy of 8 years old to programming. but I don't know how to go about it.

thanks a lot.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Introduce An 8 Year Old Boy To Programming by okwyee(m): 11:26am On Aug 24, 2017
greatnaija01:

2) Let him watch cartoons that are computer inclined or cartoonized computer tutorials

Let him do little assignments like typing long lines of codes that can make things colorful when executed.... due to the colors he will gain interest in the codes

Maybe you can download the LOGO programming language IDE and he will love it cos its "child friendly" and from there he can move to JAVA

Why java?
Re: How Do I Introduce An 8 Year Old Boy To Programming by chuksOG: 12:51pm On Aug 24, 2017
praises16:
Good morning

thanks a lot.

I suggest SCRATCH. It's an open source language from M.I.T for kids. https://scratch.mit.edu/

Forget all the long story my oga is writing above, if the child finds it difficult to understand the language and the art of programming as a whole, don't force it, try something else. There's Music, Dancing, Arts and craft, Sports e.t.c

Read this: https://www./summer-holiday-your-kids-rest-dont-over-work-them-chuks-stanley

smiley

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Introduce An 8 Year Old Boy To Programming by slayking(m): 2:38pm On Aug 24, 2017
greatnaija01:

Great suggestion,
For the cartoons, I'll recommend Pinky and the brain. I'm sure there are a host of others.

I'll also suggest you get him a PC.
MOst flagship makers have child friendly versions. I once bought a Dell Nickolodeon edition notebook.

Also get them familiar with other gadgets like your smartphone. Most of them have kid mode you can switch on whenever you're handing it over to them.

Re: How Do I Introduce An 8 Year Old Boy To Programming by ayufun: 6:56pm On Aug 24, 2017
search : site:techpally.com programming
and connect with the world of programming
Re: How Do I Introduce An 8 Year Old Boy To Programming by Nobody: 4:25am On Aug 26, 2017
Common ... all the kids who learned to program at a young age, are good in mathematics, hence the way to go is mathematics.

give him math problems, get him an Ubuntu computer - I love Linux, forces you to think. So, when it breaks he can google to kingdom come to fix it. In two years he should be reading code like Wole Soyinka and writing it like Hemmingway.

command line and shell. Like his life depends on it. Give him problems to solve on the programming if he succeeds he gets a token.

A token is redeemable for anything ... even por.n grin

(1) (Reply)

Apple Or Windows / Need Professional Php Programmers For A Project, Money Involved / Lawpavilion Unveils Nigeria’s First Artificial Intelligence Legal Assistant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.