Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,079 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:30 PM

Best Operating System For Programming! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Best Operating System For Programming! (25631 Views)

Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites / Are Mini Laptops Good For Programming? / Whats The Best Laptop For Programming? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Operating System For Programming! by iGuru1(m): 7:59pm On Feb 19, 2010
Hi everyone, which do you think is the best operating system for programing?
Between Window, Unix, Linus OS.
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by iarm(m): 11:24pm On Feb 19, 2010
It depends on what you want to do. I'll labour under the assumption that you just want to do general entry level programming tasks. Personally, I run with Linux/GCC, some prefer MSVS/Windows; it depends on your experience and interests. If you want to do Windows specific programming tasks, then go with that. Most people go with one of the UNIXes, so as to stick with the ANSI specific guidelines unless otherwise specified, i.e GNU-C, Windows adds a lot of specific Windows API centric things that aren't compatible with other OSes. I'd stick with Linux if you hope to be portable.

Specify your requirements.
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by Ghenghis(m): 6:23am On Feb 20, 2010
If you're looking for easy accessibility windows
if you use Java, the OS might not be important ,

If you want the best platform for [advanced] programming , Solaris ; there are some great features that don't exist in other OSes such as Dtrace

Its a shame , Sun is no more ,we'll miss their engineering wizardry
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by iarm(m): 7:27am On Feb 20, 2010
Your response makes no sense.
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by iGuru1(m): 8:40am On Feb 20, 2010
@iarm
Take it easy with him, his just doing likewise.
grin
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by iarm(m): 7:41pm On Feb 20, 2010
Go with one of the UNIXes - assuming that you're hoping to use C/asm which has a simpler/cleaner interface on Linux/*nix not to mention that there are a lot of open source kernel development projects (i.e the GNU/Linux effort) going on in the wild, Windows just can't compete with introductory kernel development for novices due to it's closed-source'ness, and lack of continual development in provision of documentation and kernel based attractions, although it can (and is) done rather commonly, but would natively require you to do a lot more research, and spend a lot more hours. Take a peep at the Linux kernel, earlier revisions and fast track yourself into some of the later ones, look at "Understanding the Linux Kernel", and familiarize yourself with things it does if you want to be a similar kernel. There are documents everywhere.

Good luck.
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by Ghenghis(m): 10:39pm On Feb 20, 2010
iarm:

Your response makes no sense.
Ghenghis:

If you're looking for easy accessibility windows
if you use Java, the OS might not be important ,

If you want the best platform for [advanced] programming , Solaris ; there are some great features that don't exist in other OSes such as Dtrace

Its a shame , Sun is no more ,we'll miss their engineering wizardry

Is this what doesn't make sense ?
Ok i'll summarize it ;

Windows platforms have the largest user base, programs and programmers so windows has the highest number of tools. Its easier to start programming for windows.

I think Solaris , however, is the best platform for developing application!
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by iarm(m): 1:17am On Feb 21, 2010
In what ways is Solaris the best platform for application software development?
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by iGuru1(m): 4:25am On Feb 21, 2010
If i may ask, how many OS do we have because i only know of 3.
Window
Linux
Unix
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by Ghenghis(m): 1:46pm On Feb 21, 2010
iarm:

In what ways is Solaris the best platform for application software development?

Apart from feats like the ZFS, threading capabilities of the Solaris OS is more extensive.

Dtrace http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTrace is just another example

http://developers.sun.com/solaris/tools/proglang/java/index.jsp
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by iarm(m): 4:31pm On Feb 21, 2010
A filesystem doesn't make an operating system better or worse to develop application programs on. Rethink your statement, or come back when you're less stupid.
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by Ghenghis(m): 9:50pm On Feb 21, 2010
iarm:

A filesystem doesn't make an operating system better or worse to develop application programs on. Rethink your statement, or come back when you're less silly.
why are u compelled to throw about insults, on a public forum ? Please, its not necessary.

Ok, so you know about ZFS and feel it has no impact on developing apps, fine ,

What of Dtrace ?
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by iGuru1(m): 10:16pm On Feb 21, 2010
@iarm,
This is a forum, you should know how you make a statement, no boby be small pekin here.
Calm down!
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by Beaf: 11:23pm On Feb 21, 2010
It totally depends on what you want.

Generally, if you are targetting home users, Windows is the only OS worth considering. For example, if you are building a game for money, in order to reach the widest audience, you wouldn't be doing a unix game.
On the serverside (or enterprise) you can equally consider Windows, Linux and Unix; again, it would depend on what you want and the resources available to you.
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by iarm(m): 6:52am On Feb 22, 2010
Ghengis: Dynamic tracing isn't limited to Solaris -- check your resources.

Neither one of your points have suggested that it is better (or worse) to use Solaris for application development yet,
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by Ghenghis(m): 8:37am On Feb 22, 2010
iarm:

Ghengis: Dynamic tracing isn't limited to Solaris -- check your resources.

Neither one of your points have suggested that it is better (or worse) to use Solaris for application development yet,
okay, if you say so ,
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by candylips(m): 3:43pm On Feb 22, 2010
i-Guru:

Hi everyone, which do you think is the best operating system for programing?
Between Window, Unix, Linus OS.

what is your question.

Is it best OS to program on

or best OS to write OS programs on.

In any case i think windows should be fine for most of your needs
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by iGuru1(m): 8:04pm On Feb 22, 2010
Well, in most cases window is recognise worldwide, because we program mostly for computer amateur(average computer literate) and not guru's.
Average computer users recognise window and understand it well than any other OS. So, window wins the case! grin
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by Justas(m): 10:10pm On Feb 22, 2010
windows
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by Beaf: 3:58am On Feb 23, 2010
i-Guru:

Well, in most cases window is recognise worldwide, because we program mostly for computer amateur(average computer literate) and not guru's.
Average computer users recognise window and understand it well than any other OS. So, window wins the case! grin

Fail.
Windows is not an OS. It is a group of OS's, there have been Windows 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 95, 98, Me, 2000, Server 2003, NT, Server 2008, XP, Vista, 7, CE, Media Server, Home Server, XBox. . . And others I can't remember.

Some of the OS's above would be oil and water if MS wasn't particular (to a fault) about backward compatibilty.
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by MKAN: 1:20pm On Feb 23, 2010
I don't really think the OS should be a factor when trying to learn programming.

I'll say you should just start with an OS you are comfortable with. Once you learn
programming, and i mean Leaaarrrn, not struggling. Then you can jump around as
you like depending on the problem you are trying to solve.
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by sayso: 2:10pm On Feb 23, 2010
dude try Ubuntu
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by vercetti(m): 2:58pm On Feb 23, 2010
MKAN:

I don't really think the OS should be a factor when trying to learn programming.

I'll say you should just start with an OS you are comfortable with. Once you learn
programming, and i mean Leaaarrrn, not struggling. Then you can jump around as
you like depending on the problem you are trying to solve.

true talk

i-Guru:

Window
Linux
Unix

here is a long list of available OSes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_operating_systems

@poster'
just start with what you are comfortable with, I recommend Windows for most programming languages.
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by ilosiwaju: 3:07pm On Feb 23, 2010
sayso:

dude try Ubuntu
Ubuntu ke? grin grin grin , i am not disagreeing with you, na ur sentence dey make me laugh. short and kinda witty.
Windows definitely has its share of problems but sometimes linux/unix isn't always worth the technical hype given to it by propagandists(mostly programmers who just happen to be anti-bill gates for reasons they themselves dont know or only heard on bbc click).
If your compiler will stay on an OS, the OS should not be an issue but if you intend to make use of stuffs like say IDEs, i am sure more and better IDEs run on windows than any other OS. What windows does, linux can also do but it is always easier with windows.
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by PurestBoy(m): 4:29pm On Feb 23, 2010
Men these guyz brilliant oo
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by frostmarvl: 4:32pm On Feb 23, 2010
Ubuntu is okay cos it is mostly programmer tuned. but be warned, to work with ubuntu, you need above average skills cos ubuntu itslf is a complicated os.

microsoft is more widely used and easier to work on.  it is actually better to use if you need more people to use your work and are a beginner.
simply use a language which is crossplatform.

i really don't think the os matters, but the language is the most important.

ilosiwaju:

Ubuntu ke? grin grin grin , i am not disagreeing with you, na your sentence dey make me laugh. short and kinda witty.
Windows definitely has its share of problems but sometimes linux/unix isn't always worth the technical hype given to it by propagandists(mostly programmers who just happen to be anti-bill gates for reasons they themselves dont know or only heard on bbc click).
If your compiler will stay on an OS, the OS should not be an issue but if you intend to make use of stuffs like say IDEs, i am sure more and better IDEs run on windows than any other OS. What windows does, linux can also do but it is always easier with windows.

bill gates is hated cos of his intentional monopoly of the os market for more than a decade, and MAINLY his refusal to release the source for windows.
it has thus bloated the os with unnecessary code leading to poor performance and less steamlining. also, it makes work for us programmers and hackers a hell.
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by ilosiwaju: 4:49pm On Feb 23, 2010
^^^^ i sure feel your points man but here's the thing: why does his economic philosophy have to satisfy techies like us? programmers and experts round the world only make a minute fraction of microsoft customers. Money is the key brova! If a man chooses not to release his secret to some millions of programmers and still make billions of dollars from billions of ordinary users why should we blame him cos we're technical people. The main cos of beef as i see is the inability to beat microsoft hands down. Let the open source community come up with an OS that will not only satisfy we the techies but the 5year old that wants to play game, that an old-school granny will be able to use and so on. until they know the value of easy usability, linux will remain a backsitter in the end-user market.
See how firefox battled internet explorer with sweet features and all IE is still the most popular though, thats what the open source OS should do if they are so pissed about gates.
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by Beaf: 5:52pm On Feb 23, 2010
^
People hate MS only because its some sort of cool religion for the great unwashed.
I say, use Windows, Linux or whatever comes your way and wherever your target is.

===A little history===
In the early days, Netscape had the best browser and sold it (I think for £4.50 or £9.00, I can't recall). Netscape was looking good to be where MS currently is, everyone wanted their stock, they were like gods.
MS came along and wanting a piece of the web action, created a browser with more bells and whistles than Netscape. . . And gave it away for free. shocked
Poor Netscape couldn't cope and on the night of their demise, drunken MS staff went around to Netscape offices and dumped a huge IE inflatable in their swimming pool. That is were a lot of MS hatred stems from (even by those who don't even know why they are hating).
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by bigrovar(m): 6:10pm On Feb 23, 2010
It really depends on the type of programming you want to engage in, and the language. If you are looking at something like .Net then by all means windows. But for other languages like C/C++ , Java, PHP,Python etc. I would generally advise Linux this is because of the Linux ecosystem which makes it easy for programmers to get all the tools there need. and all this tools are also free. Things like gcc, make, cmake dtrace can be install via package managers easily. The open source ecosystem around linux allows you to pull the source code of your fav program and see how it works. be a part of the community around the program and learn from more experienced programmers.

I am currently almost done (its actually done but lacks a name) with a linux os which is optimized for programmers and scientist in general. It comes preinstalled with every tool u would ever need. all the best opensource tools for maths, statistics, physics, and programming. It is based on Ubuntu so you can be sure its backed by a solid Linux distro. If you are in Abuja hit me at mail bigbrovar (at) gmail.com so I can give u a free copy.

Please guys lets not turn this thread into yet another flamewar. Whatever works for you state your point without insulting the other persons choice. We all should be tolerant of each others choices
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by bigrovar(m): 6:14pm On Feb 23, 2010
i-Guru:

Window
Linux
Unix

I just want to correct your statements. Linux and Unix are not OSes. There are more like platforms from which OSes can be built. Like Android, Ubuntu, Debian was built from the Linux kernal. and Solaris, FreeBSD, Mac from the Unix kernel
Re: Best Operating System For Programming! by lossa(f): 8:03pm On Feb 23, 2010
na wa o no female response is it that females dont do programming. is it that difficult? Cos it sound interesting but complicated

(1) (2) (Reply)

Testing Programmers: Puzzles Or Web Applications? / Uniben Student Develops Antivirus Software For Computers / Build A Mobile App Without Knowing Any Programming Language or line of code.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.