Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,986 members, 7,799,371 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:51 PM

Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. (85032 Views)

Canada Is Not For The Faint Hearted, Reconsider This Before Relocating: Pictures / What Skills Should A Nigerian Acquire Before Traveling To Europe Or America / Short Skills/trainings, In Demand, To Acquire Before Moving To The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by banmee(m): 11:44am On Aug 27, 2017
360command:
you cannot apply in the US military if you are above 30..

Let me guess, you are a computer warrior getting all his information from google. Am i correct?
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by DjAndroid: 11:47am On Aug 27, 2017
bigfrancis21:

It depends on what carrier he's into. I could advise you well. What course did he study/would like to study?
he studied mass communication
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Nobody: 11:48am On Aug 27, 2017
ADENIKETINA2015:

Sure love wink
that's sweet. Shey u go sponsor me? grin
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by DjAndroid: 11:51am On Aug 27, 2017
PrecisionFx:

Going to a foreign country @ over 30 is a very bad idea. he should be careful.
what are the risks?
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by DjAndroid: 12:13pm On Aug 27, 2017
gokuu:

While I agree that many Nigerian are naturally gifted, I beg to differ with your conclusion that Nigerian traveling abroad for better opportunities simply want to be rich. That is not the case, Nigerians are simply disenchanted and do not see things improving anytime soon, and time is running out.
It's not just that there are few jobs, the Nigerian ambience is extremely tough for many.
I also don't buy the "second class citizen" thing, because when you look at substance, the vast majority of Nigerians are less than "second class" citizens even in here in Nigeria.

If people believe they have a better shot abroad, then by all means! I know lots of people that have gone, done MBAs, worked in the US for 3 years, and are back in Nigeria; they got really big roles with huge pay that they would not have gotten if they simply sat on their oars hoping for national development. In their cases, id say the American dream is alive in Nigeria.
The bolder is the real point.

1 Like

Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by snowland(m): 12:26pm On Aug 27, 2017
concho:
are these skills usefull here?
The skills are relevant anywhere there are software developments be it Web, Mobile or Windows applications. Thank you.
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by snowland(m): 12:41pm On Aug 27, 2017
360command:
you cannot apply in the US military if you are above 30..
That's not true sir.
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by showcase9ja: 12:49pm On Aug 27, 2017
They are several Jobs in U.S.A. Put but you can also check http://showcase9ja.com/2017/08/27/usa-visiting-tourism-interview-questions-answers-visa-sure/ for some basic info
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 2:01pm On Aug 27, 2017
Afritop:

grin OUR POLITICIANS NEED PEOPLE LIKE YOU TO BUILD THIS COUNTRY NA.
DON'T FORGET THE THIRD STANZA OF THE PLEDGE YOU SAID IN SECONDARY SCHOOL ''TO SERVE NIGERIA WITH ALL MY STRENGHT''
The strength has been exhausted shouting Change and Transformation.

2 Likes

Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by gokuu(m): 2:08pm On Aug 27, 2017
walexy100:

Guy forget your papers and go acquire skills like carpentry, Truck driving, Fashion designing e.t.c

Hehe...I think I'll leave that to the impassioned artisans.
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 2:14pm On Aug 27, 2017
Jadeng:

The POLIRICKIANS have never been interested in this country. Their families school, shop, live abroad and they own choice properties in Dubai, UK, US, Spain, etc..
You're right bro and they keep preaching to the average Nigerian to be patriotic while they act the opposite with sooooo much impunity. Rather than curse them, I've decided to do what is best for my own future. At least my future is in my own hands, they can't "loot" my decision.

1 Like

Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 2:17pm On Aug 27, 2017
OfficialDad:
that's sweet. Shey u go sponsor me? grin
We may have to seek the help of Churchill/ Dezianni on that wink
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by MCzubby247(m): 2:24pm On Aug 27, 2017
o42austino:
he should learn how to operate heavy equipments like Dozer,loader, excavator and grader. he should choose one but,I think he should go with Dozer or excavator...his starting pay will be 16usd per hour but,it will go up even up to 30usd per hour when his loaded with experience...even in naija the job pays 10k every day for 8hours job.....

Not a job for faint hearted in naija ooo.
You're sure of that's salary in the state
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Nobody: 2:28pm On Aug 27, 2017
ADENIKETINA2015:

We may have to seek the help of Churchill/ Dezianni on that wink

You be dia family relation?, because no one would sponsor us in regards to that. But on a more serious issue, Do you really want to go to the US?.
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by totorimi: 3:59pm On Aug 27, 2017
First and foremost is what your present age is and I presume you are going there to better your life and make some money because of the exchange rate which favors people over there. You dont want to stay in that cold forever and be living like second rate citizen.

Having said that, if you are still in your teenage then I will advice you start up by choosing a career path and going to school first but if you are in your late 30's or 40's then I will suggest you acquire a short training in the medical field either nursing, medical lab, pharmacy, medical billing, radiography etc. The truth is that you must be extra ordinary good to survive the discrimination that goes on in all those office jobs where you have the real whites, Indians, Spanish etc. Know it now that if you don't have their accent, or a citizen or able to communicate in a second language like spanish and if you are black, issues. You must be the best at your skill set to last in an office job.

Yes, all they want plenty are labourers, glorified slaves not competitors, so the medical field still remains one area you may stay and arrange yourself. Better still you concentrate on cab driving, UBER or Lyft or others.

If only our leaders were visionary human beings, I bet you no sane human being will leave Naija and go a stay put inside refrigerator temperature environment where or manner of bad behavior is welcomed in the open space, a no man's business environment.

6 Likes

Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Nobody: 4:22pm On Aug 27, 2017
gokuu:

Hehe...first, you can get great jobs as long as you know what you're doing.
When I got to UNILAG in 2012, the graduating class then had some really ambitious students that went on to complete MBAs in the US. One went to the Wharton MBA and had 3 job offers from Mckinsey, Bain and Goldman Sachs (these are jobs with basic pay of $190k exclusive of bonuses), he went with Goldman. Another, went to Darthmouth's Tuck Business schools (borrowed about $100k) and now works with BCG in Chicago.
I know another that went to NYU's Stern and is now at Vice President at American Airlines.
If you're really good and know what you're doing, student debt can really help you achieve your dreams.
Of course, when you borrow, don't go and study drama or liberal arts. You'd only be getting yourself in trouble.
And if you've suffered in Nigeria, trust me, you will use your sense very well.
my brother, I know so many folks who make more than that a year and are still complaining. I would rather be my own boss than work for my fellow man. Those guys that stay over there are no match for Nigerian CEOS. They can only deceive you, not me. I know them very well. Most of them are broke. Life is a jungle. If you fail to chase your dreams, someone else will hire you to build theirs. My advice is simple. When you go there, avoid borrowing, save up if you can, then, come home and invest. We need more black ceos, not more black slaves. The black man has served the white man enough. In order words, "Emacipate yourself from mental slavery".

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by gokuu(m): 5:14pm On Aug 27, 2017
Nsogbu1992:
my brother, I know so many folks who make more than that a year and are still complaining. I would rather be my own boss than work for my fellow man. Those guys that stay over there are no match for Nigerian CEOS. They can only deceive you, not me. I know them very well. Most of them are broke. Life is a jungle. If you fail to chase your dreams, someone else will hire you to build theirs. My advice is simple. When you go there, avoid borrowing, save up if you can, then, come home and invest. We need more black ceos, not more black slaves. The black man has served the white man enough. In order words, "Emacipate yourself from mental slavery".

Hehehe...you seem to know everything and everyone. You know how much everyone earns, and all their worries. Nsogbu1992 the benevolent!!!

We're not talking about your visions and imaginations here; we are talking about opportunity and an environment where people can get a fair shot.

To become "your own boss" as you put it; do you not have need capital for that? Or are you simply just going to "dream it" into reality? Last I checked, you need capital to start a business esp. in Nigeria where you massive operational costs. No amount of dreams can change the accounting equation of: ASSETS = LIABILITIES + CAPITAL.

Your idea of liabilities is quite rudimentary and shallow. There is no org. that does not have debt on its books. Even cash-awash Apple has debt on its books.
In fact, as a Finance major, I can tell you for free that the optimal capital structure is 100:0 Debt:Equity ratio. So your "indebtedness" argument is totally ludicrous.

Also, ask yourself, who are Nigerian CEOs? Most top CEOs in Nigeria are actually imported from the US or U.K. and that's a fact.

Can Nigerians be successful in Nigeria? Absolutely!!! What are the chances of such success for an "average" Nigerian? NEAR ZERO!! No society is totally fair, but Nigeria takes LOPSIDED to a whole new level.

People have primary and secondary goals; for most, their primary goal is to have a decent and dignified life. They want to work, earn and provide for their families. Simply having inordinate visions of become a "black CEO" will not pay school fees or set you up for retirement.

It's very easy to talk about "chasing dreams" but you fail to realise that most Nigerians have fairly simple dreams like a nice home, food on the table, good education, security, and a dignified retirement. The current Nigerian system makes this virtually impossible for the vast majority; even if they work their hearts out, their efforts are not valued.

The question you may wanna answer: why should people remain in an environment where their contributions are not recognised?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Nobody: 5:47pm On Aug 27, 2017
gokuu:

Hehehe...you seem to know everything and everyone. You know how much everyone earns, and all their worries. Nsogbu1992 the benevolent!!!

We're not talking about your visions and imaginations here; we are talking about opportunity and an environment where people can get a fair shot.

To become "your own boss" as you put it; do you not have need capital for that? Or are you simply just going to "dream it" into reality? Last I checked, you need capital to start a business esp. in Nigeria where you massive operational costs. No amount of dreams can change the accounting equation of: ASSETS = LIABILITIES + CAPITAL.

Your idea of liabilities is quite rudimentary and shallow. There is no org. that does not have debt on its books. Even cash-awash Apple has debt on its books.
In fact, as a Finance major, I can tell you for free that the optimal capital structure is 100:0 Debt:Equity ratio. So your "indebtedness" argument is totally ludicrous.

Also, ask yourself, who are Nigerian CEOs? Most top CEOs in Nigeria are actually imported from the US or U.K. and that's a fact.

Can Nigerians be successful in Nigeria? Absolutely!!! What are the chances of such success for an "average" Nigerian? NEAR ZERO!! No society is totally fair, but Nigeria takes LOPSIDED to a whole new level.

People have primary and secondary goals; for most, their primary goal is to have a decent and dignified life. They want to work, earn and provide for their families. Simply having inordinate visions of become a "black CEO" will not pay school fees or set you up for retirement.

It's very easy to talk about "chasing dreams" but you fail to realise that most Nigerians have fairly simple dreams like a nice home, food on the table, good education, security, and a dignified retirement. The current Nigerian system makes this virtually impossible for the vast majority; even if they work their hearts out, their efforts are not valued.

The question you may wanna answer: why should people remain in an environment where their contributions are not recognised?
well, to be fair, I agree with you to some extent. But, did you say,"IMPORTED CEOS"? Which of them? Like Tony Elumelu, Aliko Dangote, Temi Otedola, Jim Ovia, Cosmos Maduka, CLetus Ibeto, innoson group? etc. I can go on and on. These guys were made in Nigeria, not imported. You sound like a foreigner. You don't sound like a Nigerian. You said you are a finance major. How many finance majors actually come out of school in America or U.K and get top jobs. Unless you are a white man, your chances are very slim. And if you are a foreigner, it becomes slimmer. I know one of my buddies who studied finance in America. But no job. the ones he could get were offering him peanuts. This guy was smart enough to save and come home. Today, he is making much more than your so called MBA holders over there. I know you need capital to start off. That is why I said, "save up, come home and invest". The chances of becoming a dollar millionaire is much greater in Nigeria than America or U.K. Infact the UNITED KINGDOM is a DYING SUPER POWER. Most people in the U.K. are poor and live on government welfare. Income tax in the U.K. is almost 50%. I have been there and I have seen it. I have also been to America and seen what happens. As for your major(finance) I don't want to discourage you, but, you better start making rich friends now!.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by johnson11(m): 7:06pm On Aug 27, 2017
[quote author=chrisxxx post=59854936]HSE[/quote

Can you explain more about this please?
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Nobody: 7:55pm On Aug 27, 2017
DjAndroid:
what are the risks?

Except if the person is really boxed or comes from a wealthy family(which can aid them to start schooling @ once), they would definitely get stuck doing a lot of stuffs like cleaning roads, cleaning up stadiums n washing dishes n stuffs...

Most nations ain't interested in giving foreigners citizenship do in most occasions we travel with jankara visa like holidays n conference visa n stuffs, wen it expires, we become stuck... such a fellow either works as an illegal immigrant(earning less than half of the nations minimum wage) or they get married to a white. Now this complicates things because most of us never plan for such. Now such a person will likely end up wit one wife abroad + kids n one wife in Nigeria + kids, a crippling responsibility.

usually before u get ur Resident visa in America, u would have to hide for 8 years, doing menial jobs (u could earn as little as 2.8$ per hour n stuffs) n as a 30 year old man, 38/39 don reach to get the visa, for a 18 year old, it would be around age 26 before they get residence.

@ 30, go abroad with education in ur mind, get settled, pass board exams n start using ur Nigerian degree or of masters to work.

And many more things...

It's not easy sha.
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 8:17pm On Aug 27, 2017
OfficialDad:

You be dia family relation?, because no one would sponsor us in regards to that. But on a more serious issue, Do you really want to go to the US?.
Sure. I'm serious about it. Making plans already smiley
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by kabaka1: 9:08pm On Aug 27, 2017
muller101:
Yahoo skills

can come in handy though. no joke
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by jantavanta(m): 9:39pm On Aug 27, 2017
Nsogbu1992:
well, to be fair, I agree with you to some extent. But, did you say,"IMPORTED CEOS"? Which of them? Like Tony Elumelu, Aliko Dangote, Temi Otedola, Jim Ovia, Cosmos Maduka, CLetus Ibeto, innoson group? etc. I can go on and on. These guys were made in Nigeria, not imported. You sound like a foreigner. You don't sound like a Nigerian. You said you are a finance major. How many finance majors actually come out of school in America or U.K and get top jobs. Unless you are a white man, your chances are very slim. And if you are a foreigner, it becomes slimmer. I know one of my buddies who studied finance in America. But no job. the ones he could get were offering him peanuts. This guy was smart enough to save and come home. Today, he is making much more than your so called MBA holders over there. I know you need capital to start off. That is why I said, "save up, come home and invest". The chances of becoming a dollar millionaire is much greater in Nigeria than America or U.K. Infact the UNITED KINGDOM is a DYING SUPER POWER. Most people in the U.K. are poor and live on government welfare. Income tax in the U.K. is almost 50%. I have been there and I have seen it. I have also been to America and seen what happens. As for your major(finance) I don't want to discourage you, but, you better start making rich friends now!.

Well said! I have been following up your responses to the apparent online marketing of second-slavery transatlantic slave ship. This time, they have picked on the wrong person to lure on-board. Slave Ship Ahoy!

2 Likes

Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Lorax(f): 10:05pm On Aug 27, 2017
Nsogbu1992:
Please let's be honest with ourselves, if Nigeria was a sane country those people you mention won't be this rich. Do you know how Dangote makes his money? By lobbying the government to make policies that favour just him. Do you know how many people he has put out of business? He wants to have the monopoly. Why do you think almost all the billionaires we have in this country had a connection with those in power at one point in time. The government made them rich. Truth is with the way we are going I don't think there will be any hope for the next generation. What do you think is the hope of the common man?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Nobody: 10:23pm On Aug 27, 2017
Lorax:

Please let's be honest with ourselves, if Nigeria was a sane country those people you mention won't be this rich. Do you know how Dangote makes his money? By lobbying the government to make policies that favour just him. Do you know how many people he has put out of business? He wants to have the monopoly. Why do you think almost all the billionaires we have in this country had a connection with those in power at one point in time. The government made them rich. Truth is with the way we are going I don't think there will be any hope for the next generation. What do you think is the hope of the common man?
lol. I'll pass my friend, I'll pass. No comment....

1 Like

Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Lorax(f): 10:26pm On Aug 27, 2017
jantavanta:

Well said! I have been following up your responses to the apparent online marketing of second-slavery transatlantic slave ship. This time, they have picked on the wrong person to lure on-board. Slave Ship Ahoy!
Why do we keep referring to those traveling out as second class citizens and slaves? Are we treated any better in Nigeria? No everyone is cut out for the life of suffering and smiling. People are suffering in this country and you expect them to sit down and keep hoping instead of looking for a way out? Open a thread stating that you want to give out money to people in need and hear different stories. Do you know that as cheap as Education is in Nigeria majority of Nigerians can't afford it? Do you know how many mouths those second class citizens and slaves are feeding in Nigeria? Do you know how much they send to relatives and families year in and out? Please don't blame people for taking a way out.

4 Likes

Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Nobody: 10:29pm On Aug 27, 2017
ADENIKETINA2015:

Sure. I'm serious about it. Making plans already smiley

I had plans too. How far v u gone?
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by gokuu(m): 10:58pm On Aug 27, 2017
Nsogbu1992:

It's good that you have mentioned some few names; while I will big go into details, know that these are exceptions rather than the rule. You have simply picked data points that are favourable to your narrative; if you look at the full picture, you will see that small businesses die faster than they thrive.

On Finance grads, it would seem you are unaware of incomes on Wall Street. Maybe you want to double-check that.

I agree that there is a higher chance of "blowing" in Nigeria; while this may sound good to the ear, truth is most people lack the "access" required to "blow" in Nigeria. At the end of the day, people simply want a fair shot where they are confident that their hard work will come into fruition. This has not been the Nigerian story.

I have not said anything about the UK, but you will know that UK tax rates are progressive and have major major tax deductibles such that the effective tax rate is well below 50%. Again, these taxes are used to provide amenities guaranty decent living standards. in fact, when I calculate my service charges annual basis and healthcare costs, I would rather pay such taxes.

Also, it is misleading you to assume that "most" people in the U.K. live on welfare, that is simply not true! The math does not add up.

Again, this debate is not about me. However, since you're so rich from your Nigerian success story, please be my friend.

2 Likes

Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by sonnie10: 11:32pm On Aug 27, 2017
gokuu:

Oga, your school fees were well spent. You go school jor.

1 Like

Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Nobody: 12:32am On Aug 28, 2017
gokuu:

It's good that you have mentioned some few names; while I will big go into details, know that these are exceptions rather than the rule. You have simply picked data points that are favourable to your narrative; if you look at the full picture, you will see that small businesses die faster than they thrive.

On Finance grads, it would seem you are unaware of incomes on Wall Street. Maybe you want to double-check that.

I agree that there is a higher chance of "blowing" in Nigeria; while this may sound good to the ear, truth is most people lack the "access" required to "blow" in Nigeria. At the end of the day, people simply want a fair shot where they are confident that their hard work will come into fruition. This has not been the Nigerian story.

I have not said anything about the UK, but you will know that UK tax rates are progressive and have major major tax deductibles such that the effective tax rate is well below 50%. Again, these taxes are used to provide amenities guaranty decent living standards. in fact, when I calculate my service charges annual basis and healthcare costs, I would rather pay such taxes.

Also, it is misleading you to assume that "most" people in the U.K. live on welfare, that is simply not true! The math does not add up.

Again, this debate is not about me. However, since you're so rich from your Nigerian success story, please be my friend.
I hope I did not come too hard on you. Rather than telling me how I picked data points that favour me, why don't you pick data points that favour you as well. The truth is that you have none.
On your claim about Wall Street, I know a lot about them. Wall Street is rather an elusive dream for any black man.
Also, your avowal that you are an undergrad is somewhat dubious. I would instead believe that you are someone who is well educated. Probably to masters level. You just do not write like an undergrad. I also know that you are not a Nigerian. We the Nigerians, we know ourselves. I will not go into details. Whoever you are, please stop making our people feel that Europe or America is some sort of El Dorado.. That is only a fallacy. Stop making people to presume. presumption is as iniquity and idolatry. Thank you.
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Noblefreeman(m): 4:22am On Aug 28, 2017
snowland:
To begin with, what is he relocating there for? Education or what? Does he have permanent residency or work authorization that would allow him to work legally? If answer is yes to the work authorization question, then the advise below would suffice.

Tell him to learn some Automation Software Testing Tools like Selenium WebDriver or HP UFT. He can also learn some Test Manangement tools like HP ALM or JIRA. I know about all these tools because I work with them and I know how much experts in those tools are being sought on a daily basis.

If he doesn't have the time to learn all the listed tools, he should try and learn Selenium WebDriver and maybe HP ALM.
He can get the Selenium Training video course on www.udemy.com for $10.

He will thank me later.
please what is it about
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by chrisxxx(m): 8:47am On Aug 28, 2017
[quote author=johnson11 post=59880303][/quote]
Do a health safety and environment related course especially those that have international acceptability like nebosh.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

David Nwachukwu Dead: Kelechi Iheanacho PA Dies While Returning From Nightclub / Photos Of Frozen Homes In New York After Snowstorm, Trapped Residents For Days / The Beauty Of Abuja Airport Runway At Night As It Nears Completion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.