Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,122 members, 7,807,391 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:02 PM

Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. (85097 Views)

Canada Is Not For The Faint Hearted, Reconsider This Before Relocating: Pictures / What Skills Should A Nigerian Acquire Before Traveling To Europe Or America / Short Skills/trainings, In Demand, To Acquire Before Moving To The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by hammed71(m): 12:30pm On Sep 18, 2017
Trump don cancel mavni program because of infiltration
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by wiseworld: 8:09pm On Sep 19, 2017
Mavni what?

1 Like

Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Eseblanco(m): 3:44pm On Sep 29, 2017
Chascop:
Let me share a little experience.

I believe traveling to US is not just to visit but to emigrate. it's a nice plan.

I'm less than 26 years of age and before coming to the US, I made sure I learnt how to barb because here in LA, it costs about 20-30 dollar but you'll have to attend barbing school before you can be able to proceed.
If you want it in your home, No problem.

Secondly, tailoring is another business that yields more money. more especially, men's wears(like senators), then for the women too.
If you know how to sow cloth, people will find you from different states.

Thirdly, Bead making is another business. The least I sold then was 85 dollar for a round neck bead.
and lastly, learn how to plait hair. it's a wonderful business. you can do that in your home too.

But right now, I have my papers( a GC holder and I work in one of the supermarkets as a secretary). It all depends on how smart and strong you are. if you can be able to do something, you'll become a better person in less than 2 years but you must work hard.

I bought my first car within my first 7 months in the US because I worked so hard for it.

Bro, Thank God for you o

I swear down, i want to be like you o

Am also below 25 years, graduated 2 years as an engineer but you know naija and their unemployment rates. I have a high passion for excellence but naija is dulling me. I wanna relocate to US but no funds though i have plans in entering with students visa. I just pray God helps me.

Sorry for d long story, your quote really motivated me.
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Nobody: 5:02pm On Sep 29, 2017
Eseblanco:

Bro, Thank God for you o

I swear down, i want to be like you o

Am also below 25 years, graduated 2 years as an engineer but you know naija and their unemployment rates. I have a high passion for excellence but naija is dulling me. I wanna relocate to US but no funds though i have plans in entering with students visa. I just pray God helps me.

Sorry for d long story, your quote really motivated me.

Eseblanco ,you want to proceed with your academics?. it's nice.

well, everything is just Grace.
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by bsideboii(m): 10:09pm On Oct 22, 2017
shellworker:
No matter what skill you have in Nigeria before emigrating to the US, once you emigrate your certificates will not be valid. You will need to get the training here and obtain their certification.
Right now I live in the US and I can tell you that the certificates I came with are not valid until I had to do some recertification trainings in the states.
Somebody coming here with an already obtained certificate for some skills can only have the advantage of grabbing the training fast since he or she already has the experience.
Ask your cousin to go learn truck (trailer) driving; that will only help him to grab the CDL-A training fast when he comes to the US. CDL drivers are highly needed in the US. They make good money.
He can also learn e-marketing. With this skill, he can come to the US and be making money on his own as an affiliate marketer. The training requires a good coach that can always put him through in areas he may be having some doubts. It requires absolute mastery otherwise he will be loosing his money and not be making anything and feel frustrated.
He can also come and join the medical field and once he becomes an RN, or obtains his BSN he will all be smiles and be searching for me for appreciation. It may take upto 5 years. But trust me 5 years is not such a long time.
How about an ASE certification or can I just proceed to get a job in an independent garage since I already know stuff.Im currently training to become an automobile mechanic here in Nigeria.How lucrative is this skill in the US? Are they well paid over there?
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Nobody: 11:44pm On Mar 05, 2019
Plumbing, Building fences, gates or houses, painting fence, house, exteriors or interiors, you can advertise privately on craigslist and get work to do, private work. I met once a group of Argentinian men (Argentina had no visa visiting US), 5- or 6 friends came to US, rented a small appt. together, rented tools, rented a car and started fixing houses making good money. In stores like Home Depot and Lowes there are all kind of tools to rent by day or hours, all kind of free learning how to do building things, Libraries in US are free and you can go there and read all kind of home improvement work, online youtube classes, wifi is free in Macdonalds and free computers use and wifi in public libraries. You want to work, you work. If you have other skills like teaching something or doing accounting, etc., you can do it too, just check the local craigslist and see what people is doing. Some guys are moving furniture or cutting trees and they need a helper, you get paid for it by hour.

2 Likes

Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Nobody: 11:53pm On Mar 05, 2019
bsideboii:
How about an ASE certification or can I just proceed to get a job in an independent garage since I already know stuff.Im currently training to become an automobile mechanic here in Nigeria.How lucrative is this skill in the US? Are they well paid over there?
Fixing car as a private job is not easy here, it's all about car insurance and we all prefer to go to the dealer maintenance, you can get a job in dealer if you are legal or buy, fix quick and resell cars, not easy, car sales have lots of competition.

Somebody mentioned the truck driver, it's a very good job but you need 2-3 years American drivers good record (American drivers license), then to study for CDL, some companies teach you for free with the condition you work for them 1-2 years. Truck driver's job is very well paid and always on demand. Starting maybe from $40-50K USD a year and going up to 80-100K USD a year in 1 year or 2.

1 Like

Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by aytech360(m): 2:38pm On May 05, 2019
OK
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by xandy84: 2:51am On May 30, 2019
First, you do not need 2-3 years of American driving to get a CDL. No truck driver make $80 to $100k in second year except you are owner operator and you have to minus gas, repair and truck payment. I am a diesel tech and own truck and this is what I do for a living.
Truck driving looks easy but to make decent wages like $50k a year, you have to be away from your family for weeks and sleeping inside truck. Not for everybody for real.

Fixing car as a private job is not easy here, it's all about car insurance and we all prefer to go to the dealer maintenance, you can get a job in dealer if you are legal or buy, fix quick and resell cars, not easy, car sales have lots of competition.

Somebody mentioned the truck driver, it's a very good job but you need 2-3 years American drivers good record (American drivers license), then to study for CDL, some companies teach you for free with the condition you work for them 1-2 years. Truck driver's job is very well paid and always on demand. Starting maybe from $40-50K USD a year and going up to 80-100K USD a year in 1 year or 2.
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Babyvet: 3:11am On May 30, 2019
All I know , in this Donald trump time better come here with your papers or you will suffer.

1 Like

Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by hammed71(m): 6:55am On May 30, 2019
Babyvet:
All I know , in this Donald trump time better come here with your papers or you will suffer.
you know the only chance we have to do that is through the dv lottery, but Nigeria is not eligible.we might have a chance if Congress approve the new merit based immigration plan
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Babyvet: 4:09pm On May 30, 2019
hammed71:
you know the only chance we have to do that is through the dv lottery, but Nigeria is not eligible.we might have a chance if Congress approve the new merit based immigration plan

Nope dv lottery is not coming back for Nigerians it’s been gone for years now , Nigerians have met the quota. The merit based system is not going to work here .
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Beautyaddy: 12:31am On May 31, 2019
Babyvet:

hammed71:

huh...The chances of that happening is little to none.

However, the US DV lottery is not the only way Nigerians can migrate legally to the US and obtain instant legal papers.

Family petitions are one of the easy ways for Nigerians to migrate legally to the US and by that means to instantly getting a green card on arrival.
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by ashatoda: 7:06am On May 31, 2019
Beautyaddy:

However, the US DV lottery is not the only way Nigerians can migrate legally to the US and obtain instant legal papers.

Family petitions are one of the easy ways for Nigerians to migrate legally to the US and by that means to instantly getting a green card on arrival.

can you please explain this family petitions better. I get person over there and I am looking for a way to exit this yeye place
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Babyvet: 7:09am On May 31, 2019
Beautyaddy:

Family petition is not easy , depending on you category status , it takes years or decades for the immigrant Visa to become available
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Babyvet: 7:13am On May 31, 2019
Beautyaddy:

Family petition is done through a immediate family member like brother , sister , parents or children. They will ask for proof to show family relationship so you can’t use anybody . Family petitions can also take very long time.
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Adayoung(f): 9:02am On May 31, 2019
What about skills for UK ?
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Beautyaddy: 4:19pm On May 31, 2019
Babyvet:

Family petition is done through a immediate family member like brother , sister , parents or children. They will ask for proof to show family relationship so you can’t use anybody . Family petitions can also take very long time.

Not all of them.

Immediate family petitions like spouses and minor children take at most 1-2 years.

You left out spouses and fiancé/ fiancée...they are immediate families too.

A lot of Nigerians are now using the spousal( immediate family) and fiancé/fiancée petitions to migrate legally to the US to obtain green cards.
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Spanishmilf(m): 8:10pm On May 31, 2019
Beautyaddy:

Not all of them.

Immediate family petitions like spouses and minor children take at most 1-2 years.

You left out spouses and fiancé/ fiancée...they are immediate families too.

A lot of Nigerians are now using the spousal( immediate family) and fiancé/fiancée petitions to migrate legally to the US to obtain green cards.
it depends on your state
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by fibe: 6:13am On Aug 18, 2019
sonnie10:
Once you land, just go to any nursing school and do LPN or LVN. It is one year programm. Once you have the licence you will be gainfully employed.

please i just pm you. kindly reply. Thanks
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by beatmonster(m): 4:09pm On Aug 18, 2019
Narldon:

Cloud and distributed computing
Statistical analysis and data mining
Mobile development
Storage systems and management
User interface design
Network and information security
Middleware and integration software
Web architecture and development framework
Algorithm design
Java development
Machine learning
Tableau software
User experience design
C++ programming
MySQL programming
Pardot marketing
Social media management
Project management professional (PMP)
Swift development
Chat support
Android development
Unity 3D game development
Shopify development
Video editing
AutoCAD
Facebook marketing
API development
Content writing
.NET framework
WordPress development
Direct sales
Sales management
Business development
Customer service
Account management
Accounting
Salesforce
Sales operations
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Baabu320: 5:45pm On Aug 18, 2019
snowland:
To begin with, what is he relocating there for? Education or what? Does he have permanent residency or work authorization that would allow him to work legally? If answer is yes to the work authorization question, then the advise below would suffice.

Tell him to learn some Automation Software Testing Tools like Selenium WebDriver or HP UFT. He can also learn some Test Manangement tools like HP ALM or JIRA. I know about all these tools because I work with them and I know how much experts in those tools are being sought on a daily basis.

If he doesn't have the time to learn all the listed tools, he should try and learn Selenium WebDriver and maybe HP ALM.
He can get the Selenium Training video course on www.udemy.com for $10.

He will thank me later.

can you take me d course?
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by 1stbest(m): 8:07am On Aug 24, 2019
Narldon:

Cloud and distributed computing Statistical analysis and data mining Mobile development Storage systems and management User interface design Network and information security
Sir ,what about building painter?

1 Like

Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by XaintJoel20: 4:12am On Jan 03, 2020
snowland:
To begin with, what is he relocating there for? Education or what? Does he have permanent residency or work authorization that would allow him to work legally? If answer is yes to the work authorization question, then the advise below would suffice.

Tell him to learn some Automation Software Testing Tools like Selenium WebDriver or HP UFT. He can also learn some Test Manangement tools like HP ALM or JIRA. I know about all these tools because I work with them and I know how much experts in those tools are being sought on a daily basis.

If he doesn't have the time to learn all the listed tools, he should try and learn Selenium WebDriver and maybe HP ALM.

He will thank me later.

Please how much does it cost to learn those skills in Nigeria?
Thanks
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by snowland(m): 6:06am On Jan 03, 2020
XaintJoel20:

Please how much does it cost to learn those skills in Nigeria?
Thanks

To be honest with you, I don't know if it's offered in a brick and mortar in Nigeria. He can however learn online via YouTube or buy cheap courses on udemy.
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by sapoyoro(m): 3:17pm On Jan 05, 2020
fanatasic thread,learnt alot
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Acme45: 10:27pm On Jan 05, 2020
DjAndroid:
My cousin will relocate to the US early next year, what skills can he acquire here in Nigeria first in order to make ends meet over there? He is in his early 30's.
it's almost or already late, Nigerians with last minute preparation
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Trudeau: 9:42pm On Jun 17, 2021
Bro I'm interested, please throw more light...
snowland:

He will thank me later.
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by Richdee1(m): 11:10am On Jun 18, 2021
ADENIKETINA2015:
Plumbering. I plan to relocate pretty soon too. Our politicians can have the country undecided

I hope you've relocated??
Re: Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. by ceeceeuwa: 5:53pm On Jul 14, 2021
dude, you are talking complete BUNKUM!!!!. Don't tell me you ignored tony elumelu, cosmos maduka, Cletus ibeto. These guys were only given 20 pounds after the civil war. Today, they are billionaires. "Cosmos maduka" in particular left school at age 6. Today he is a CEO. How about Mike Adenuga (CEO globacom). Adenuga is a graduate of Oklahoma state university. If he had remained in America, he would have been somewhere, thinking about how to pay his mortgage. You are only picking on Dangote because that's the easy prey. But lemme ask you. Did Dangote not pay back the loan he took from his family? Did his family build his business for him? If you like, keep making excuses for yourself, that is your own cup of tea.
As regard to taxation, I lived in America for years and I filed taxes with the IRS every year that I lived there. For you, who might be at "God knows where", to tell me that I don't understand taxation is just too hilarious!!!. Look, lemme tell you. You probably don't have your papers wherever you are. And there you are, telling me that I don't understand taxation.
Anyway, If you have decided to stay in another man's land and be a slave, that is your problem. Continue with your business of being a slave because I can tell that it is working really well for you. As for me, I am man enough to take the bull by the horn. I am in my own country, doing my own stuff and living my dream. As for "una" that don't want to come back, we dey here de wait for una!!! agaracha must come back...it's nsogbu1992.
This is 2021 and it has gotten worse!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Things I Found Out About Sweden! / Photos Of Frozen Homes In New York After Snowstorm, Trapped Residents For Days / Luxurious Suites In Yankari Game Reserve Bauchi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.