Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,578 members, 7,809,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:01 PM

How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland (1710 Views)

Everybody Is A Javascript Developer On Nigerian Tech Twitter / I Need An App Developer On A Tight Budget / I Need Cheap And Genuine Hosting Site To Host My Django App (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland by ekeroyal(m): 11:00am On Aug 26, 2017
Ladies and gentlemen, the points I'd be listing below won't be exhaustive. If you've had you experience, don't hesitate to share.

I understand Nigerians are ingenious and capable of taking on very advanced software development jobs. I do as well. However, I have observed with keen interest that some of us are constantly taking advantage of our ability to trust ourselves based on word of mouth. I can authoritatively tell you to stay away any developer who fails the criteria listed below. It's just an advice by the way.

1. Make sure you have the developer's full name.
2. Ask for previous jobs, preferably those related to the task you want them to help you with.
3. Ask for their professional/personal social media handles/links.(linkedin, twitter, facebook, instagram)
4. Ask for their website, check their portfolio section.
5. Ask for a meet-up, if they refuse run for your life.
6. Let them tell you the value of what they are offering. Don't tell them your budget.
7. Try verifying their phone number(s) using truecaller, responsible ones have a traceable name on truecaller.
8. Make sure you pay into a bank account that corresponds to the name you find consistent with your findings.
9. Check how long they have been on Nairaland and checkout their posts/comments. Trusted ones have spent at least a year and have been active, in a positive way.

These rules apply to those who use fiverr, upwork, etc.

Feel free to add yours or share your experience.
Re: How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland by tokzy205(m): 11:08am On Aug 26, 2017
lol, so if the developer is just joining nairaland, it means he/she is not trusted, you miss it dere bro, so many possess all these you listed and they cant even design a proper software, anyone can share previous works, it might be that of their friends, the best thing in my opinion is for client to pay after service, at least you asess if he has done a good job or not before paying.

3 Likes

Re: How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland by ekeroyal(m): 11:24am On Aug 26, 2017
tokzy205:
lol, so if the developer is just joining nairaland, it means he/she is not trusted, you miss it dere bro, so many possess all these you listed and they cant even design a proper software, anyone can share previous works, it might be that of their friends, the best thing in my opinion is for client to pay after service, at least you asess if he has done a good job or not before paying.

How do you motivate a developer to start a job without financial commitment? If you ask for a demo fine. But I won't start a job if the client haven't committed some money.

Talking about sharing previous work, yes anyone can share that. Ask them of the development version.

1 Like

Re: How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland by talk2hb1(m): 1:58pm On Aug 26, 2017
ekeroyal:

6. Let them tell you the value of what they are offering. Don't tell them your budget.Feel free to add yours or share your experience
What if you cant afford their value nko?
You beg, after wasting the developers time calling for a meeting you aint paying for.
Imagine the cost of going to a meeting in my micro accounting calculation:
1) My Cloth Laundary (750)
2) Transportation (@ least #500 in Lagos)
3) @least Meeting and mobility last 2hrs time could be used on ongoing projects which is billable
Now which part of my account book does that go?
In accounting book that is bad debt if at the end of the day we couldnt work together. Do you pay for the listed above?
Instead of calling for unnecessary physical meeting, you can initiate a meeting online (Skype, WhatsApp, Hangout, etc)
If terms is good, call for a meeting in person to build the final working relationship, in fact the online meeting will help you determine the developers promptness to give you update on your project, since most of your communication will be via online if you eventually signed him or her up.
You did not include a contract in your list, which ought to be part of it, that will help you know if your developer has a government issued ID.
Re: How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland by ovoSoft: 2:01pm On Aug 26, 2017
10. A genuine developer isn't CHEAP

7 Likes

Re: How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland by tokzy205(m): 4:54pm On Aug 26, 2017
ovoSoft:
God bless your life bro, so on point. grin grin
Re: How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland by ekeroyal(m): 9:21pm On Aug 26, 2017
talk2hb1:

What if you cant afford their value nko?
You beg, after wasting the developers time calling for a meeting you aint paying for.
Imagine the cost of going to a meeting in my micro accounting calculation:
1) My Cloth Laundary (750)
2) Transportation (@ least #500 in Lagos)
3) @least Meeting and mobility last 2hrs time could be used on ongoing projects which is billable
Now which part of my account book does that go?
In accounting book that is bad debt if at the end of the day we couldnt work together. Do you pay for the listed above?
Instead of calling for unnecessary physical meeting, you can initiate a meeting online (Skype, WhatsApp, Hangout, etc)
If terms is good, call for a meeting in person to build the final working relationship, in fact the online meeting will help you determine the developers promptness to give you update on your project, since most of your communication will be via online if you eventually signed him or her up.
You did not include a contract in your list, which ought to be part of it, that will help you know if your developer has a government issued ID.

I don't know why a businessman can't afford transporting and hosting you if he really wants to give you a job or even the developer doing same.
Talking about pricing and budget, in my experience that question, 'what is your budget' is all about hoodwinking the client. Prior to your meeting, you should have sorted your charge.
Re: How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland by ekeroyal(m): 9:23pm On Aug 26, 2017
ovoSoft:

Very important. However, a good developer is affordable to clients of his calibre.
Re: How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland by umaryusuf(m): 7:25am On Aug 28, 2017
ekeroyal:
Ladies and gentlemen, the points I'd be listing below won't be exhaustive. If you've had you experience, don't hesitate to share.

I understand Nigerians are ingenious and capable of taking on very advanced software development jobs. I do as well. However, I have observed with keen interest that some of us are constantly taking advantage of our ability to trust ourselves based on word of mouth. I can authoritatively tell you to stay away any developer who fails the criteria listed below. It's just an advice by the way.

2. Ask for previous jobs, preferably those related to the task you want them to help you with.
3. Ask for their professional/personal social media handles/links.(linkedin, twitter, facebook, instagram)
6. Let them tell you the value of what they are offering. Don't tell them your budget.
7. Try verifying their phone number(s) using truecaller, responsible ones have a traceable name on truecaller.
8. Make sure you pay into a bank account that corresponds to the name you find consistent with your findings.
9. Check how long they have been on Nairaland and checkout their posts/comments. Trusted ones have spent at least a year and have been active, in a positive way.

Very correct.

But, I don't agree with number 5. How do you meet someone from Upwork based in another country? When the cost of the meet-up could be more than the project budget.

1 Like

Re: How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland by ekeroyal(m): 7:59am On Aug 28, 2017
umaryusuf:

Very correct.

But, I don't agree with number 5. How do you meet someone from Upwork based in another country? When the cost of the meet-up could be more than the project budget.

Your point is well noted. Under that circumstance a meet-up is unreasonable even in Nigeria but if the developer is in same city or a couple of hours away, I don't think a meet-up is a bad idea.
Re: How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland by Nobody: 2:34am On Aug 29, 2017
I laugh.
Re: How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland by Nobody: 11:47am On Aug 29, 2017
ekeroyal:

Your point is well noted. Under that circumstance a meet-up is unreasonable even in Nigeria but if the developer is in same city or a couple of hours away, I don't think a meet-up is a bad idea.

Meetup so they can waste my time telling me about something I could have read on email. Unless we having business meetings that require maybe my presence to stallholders I tell people to send me a mail. However once a while meetings are nice a lot of people I work with are remote intact the guy I work with on up work, I have never seen what he looks like , I just get my cheque and call it a day

2 Likes

Re: How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland by talk2hb1(m): 7:42pm On Aug 29, 2017
pcguru1:

Meetup so they can waste my time telling me about something I could have read on email. Unless we having business meetings that require maybe my presence to stallholders I tell people to send me a mail. However once a while meetings are nice a lot of people I work with are remote intact the guy I work with on up work, I have never seen what he looks like , I just get my cheque and call it a day
9jatitude Running in their vein undecided
Re: How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 29, 2017
talk2hb1:

9jatitude Running in their vein undecided

Lol coming for meetings and not tackling serious issues to me feels like a waste , most times most meetings end up saying what you already know or almost nothing at all. Meetings in Nigeria , outside Nigeria its more structured and there's an agenda and topic that will be discussed
Re: How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland by Softhands(m): 8:36pm On Aug 29, 2017
What happened to Skype ehen??...If u want a meet-up, Pay the bills, else Let's Skype.
ekeroyal:

Re: How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland by Olyboy16(m): 9:18pm On Aug 29, 2017
OP spoke completely out of sentiment!

there are only four things required of a very good software developer:

1. an active github account
2. a well designed website with traceable client reviews and ratings
3. three active social media channels
4. a popular communication service account. i.e whatsapp, email

anything other than these is pointless. a client with the OP's mindset can never afford the services of a good developer.
Re: How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland by talk2hb1(m): 9:37pm On Aug 29, 2017
Olyboy16:

anything other than these is pointless. a client with the OP's mindset can never afford the services of a good developer.
I case you consult on classified project that you are not allowed to post in your portfolio, what do you do?
Re: How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland by seunny4lif(m): 3:52am On Aug 30, 2017
Skype is ok
I got some interview then thru Skype and even Facebook.

Unless you want to fill the bills.
Re: How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland by Olyboy16(m): 10:26am On Aug 30, 2017
talk2hb1:

I case you consult on classified project that you are not allowed to post in your portfolio, what do you do?
okay
Re: How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland by PROPHETmichael: 11:25am On Aug 30, 2017
Olyboy16:
OP spoke completely out of sentiment!

there are only four things required of a very good software developer:

1. an active github account
3. three active social media channels
4. a popular communication service account. i.e whatsapp, email

I'm a very good developer and i don't have a github account. Also, the fact that i don't use my social media to advertise my work, does that mean am a scammer?
Re: How To Find A Genuine Developer On Nairaland by Olyboy16(m): 2:40pm On Aug 30, 2017
PROPHETmichael:

I'm a very good developer and i don't have a github account. Also, the fact that i don't use my social media to advertise my work, does that mean am a scammer?
no sir, it doesn't.

(1) (Reply)

Jamb Website Is Very Bad / Certified Ethical Hacker Vs Certified Programmer / I'm Completely Stuck And Need Help With A Javascript Function

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.