Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:02 AM

The Spiritual Experience: Real Or Simply Brain Chemistry ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Spiritual Experience: Real Or Simply Brain Chemistry ? (1266 Views)

Are all Scriptures God-breathed or Simply Human thoughts or a Blended mix? / Is Jesus Real Or A Myth? A Challenge For Maxindhouse / Was Jesus The Son Of God Or Simply A Prophet? Presenting Facts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Spiritual Experience: Real Or Simply Brain Chemistry ? by plaetton: 2:48pm On Aug 26, 2017
Excerpt :
"Moses saw a burning bush. Paul saw Jesus on the road to Damascus. St. Teresa had ecstatic visions.

When psychologist William Richards looks at religion, he sees mystical experiences everywhere. The same sort of experiences, he reasons, that come from mind-altering drugs.

That’s why he’s giving magic mushrooms to religious leaders, for a research project based at Johns Hopkins University and New York University.

“There are — it’s so hard to put this into language — sacred eternal experiences that the human being is capable of having. They seem to be at the origin of most religions,” he said. “What we call the eternal seems incredibly real.”

In the Hopkins and NYU study, two dozen clergy — including priests, pastors and rabbis — are taking controlled doses of psilocybin, the drug found in psychedelic mushrooms, under the watchful eye of scientists."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2017/07/24/at-johns-hopkins-clergy-try-mind-altering-drugs-for-scientific-research/?utm_term=.8f5b39d9b0db
Re: The Spiritual Experience: Real Or Simply Brain Chemistry ? by GooseBaba: 4:07pm On Aug 26, 2017
Baba Plaetton....I salute ohh...where you dey get this your studies from sef? ...even when I parabulate internet finish I still don't run into articles like this...I hail ohh... grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Spiritual Experience: Real Or Simply Brain Chemistry ? by plaetton: 4:15pm On Aug 26, 2017
GooseBaba:
Baba Plaetton....I salute ohh...where you dey get this your studies from sef? ...even when I parabulate internet finish I still don't run into articles like this...I hail ohh... grin grin

wink
I salute.

1 Like

Re: The Spiritual Experience: Real Or Simply Brain Chemistry ? by malvisguy212: 9:23pm On Aug 26, 2017
plaetton:

wink
I salute.
good to see you again. @op. what about people who experience NDE, "Near death experience" ? are they given this same magic mushrooms ?
Re: The Spiritual Experience: Real Or Simply Brain Chemistry ? by CAPSLOCKED: 10:06pm On Aug 26, 2017
malvisguy212:
good to see you again. @op. what about people who experience NDE, "Near death experience" ? are they given this same magic mushrooms ?

THERE'S GIVEN BANANAS.
Re: The Spiritual Experience: Real Or Simply Brain Chemistry ? by plaetton: 10:30pm On Aug 26, 2017
malvisguy212:
Greetings Malvisguy212.

The articles is exploring, and I have argued severally that all these experiences are simply brain frequency modulations caused by chemical reactions in the body or brain, especially during or after trauma.
Re: The Spiritual Experience: Real Or Simply Brain Chemistry ? by malvisguy212: 10:41pm On Aug 26, 2017
plaetton:

Greetings Malvisguy212.

The articles is exploring, and I have argued severally that all these experiences are simply brain frequency modulations caused by chemical reactions in the body or brain, especially during or after trauma.
almost all the people experiencing NDE, when they narrate it, its the same story, if it is brain frequency as you say, there story should be different, don't you think ?
Re: The Spiritual Experience: Real Or Simply Brain Chemistry ? by plaetton: 12:00am On Aug 27, 2017
malvisguy212:
almost all the people experiencing NDE, when they narrate it, its the same story, if it is brain frequency as you say, there story should be different, don't you think ?
Not really.
I said before that people interpret these experiences based on their beliefs or worldviews.

A native African villager cannot have the same NDE story as an educated Christian European, or a native Hindu from India.
Our embedded worldviews determine how we interpret these experiences.

1 Like

Re: The Spiritual Experience: Real Or Simply Brain Chemistry ? by plaetton: 11:49am On Jul 07, 2019
This thread needs further discussion.
Re: The Spiritual Experience: Real Or Simply Brain Chemistry ? by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:45pm On Jul 07, 2019
plaetton:
This thread needs further discussion.

This is an interesting thread.

But the subject seems narrowed into nde and related stuff. Spiritual experience is broadened and cannot be discussed within just nde. Been a runner of YTS (Yoruba Traditional spirituality), nde is alien to it system. But there are divine dreams, astra travel, divination, and whole lot of experiences.

While dream can be explained scientifically as a chemical reaction in the brain, divine dream is different. Divine dream is not a result of random thinking, it serves a purpose of expressing issues; causes and possible solutions, and often tell about the future.

Many people accurately foretell what happen in future times even without having anything thing to do with it. Happening occur exactly as they dreamed it. It could be gift of nature, but as it is, such instances cannot be explain off with brain chemistry.

Let us discuss extensively on divine dream. How is it brain chemistry?
Re: The Spiritual Experience: Real Or Simply Brain Chemistry ? by plaetton: 4:27pm On Jul 07, 2019
FOLYKAZE:

This is an interesting thread.

But the subject seems narrowed into nde and related stuff. Spiritual experience is broadened and cannot be discussed within just nde. Been a runner of YTS (Yoruba Traditional spirituality), nde is alien to it system. But there are divine dreams, astra travel, divination, and whole lot of experiences.

While dream can be explained scientifically as a chemical reaction in the brain, divine dream is different. Divine dream is not a result of random thinking, it serves a purpose of expressing issues; causes and possible solutions, and often tell about the future.

Many people accurately foretell what happen in future times even without having anything thing to do with it. Happening occur exactly as they dreamed it. It could be gift of nature, but as it is, such instances cannot be explain off with brain chemistry.

Let us discuss extensively on divine dream. How is it brain chemistry?

Divine dreaming is most likely what we know as lucid dreaming.
Lucid dreaming, like other dreams, shows up distinctly in catscans on sleep subjects . And contrary to what you stated, lucid dreaming can more easily be induced and simulated using mind altering herbs and chemicals.
Now, one is free to give interpretations to dreams, and confirm such after the fact.
What I trying to say is that no two persons can give the same interpretation to the same dream. As such, there is no such accurate interpretation of dreams. The sum of a person's psyche determines how a person interprets a dream, lucid or regular.
Re: The Spiritual Experience: Real Or Simply Brain Chemistry ? by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:09pm On Jul 07, 2019
plaetton:

Lucid dreaming, like other dreams, shows up distinctly in catscans on sleep subjects . And contrary to what you stated, lucid dreaming can more easily be induced and simulated using mind altering herbs and chemicals.
Now, one is free to give interpretations to dreams, and confirm such after the fact.
What I trying to say is that no two persons can give the same interpretation to the same dream. As such, there is no such accurate interpretation of dreams. The sum of a person's psyche determines how a person interprets a dream, lucid or regular.

Lucid dream, what a great terminology. I made a quick search of that word, and found it does not relate with what I tagged 'divine dream'. If I am correct, lucid dream simply mean awareness of dream state.

I wouldn't argue about if divine dream can be induced or not. For sure, some amulets, incantation, spell and application of diabolic stuff. There are also some people who have this dream naturally.

Divine dream, is believed to be a message from the spiritual sphere or figure. The experience reveal the unknown, unthinkable and unfathomable past and more likely future. This draws to root source of past issues and possible outcome of future occurrence.

I do not know what other experienced. But on personal note, I have seen situations that happen exactly as I dreamt it in the past. It happened like I remember myself seeing into the future. That dream is a divine thing, probably a forewarning or foreknowledge of what is about to happen.

Forgive me, I used the tag 'divine dream'. There could be other words out there that best described it. But please note that this isn't about giving meaning to happenings in the dream, my position here is seeing it as it is.
Re: The Spiritual Experience: Real Or Simply Brain Chemistry ? by Kobojunkie: 5:26am On May 25, 2021
plaetton:

What the other describes as "divine" dreaming does not fit the description of "lucid" dreaming at all. undecided

I can't say I have ever experienced what the other calls "divine" dreaming , but lucid dreaming, I know very well. undecided
Re: The Spiritual Experience: Real Or Simply Brain Chemistry ? by Kobojunkie: 5:43am On May 25, 2021
plaetton:
Excerpt :
"Moses saw a burning bush. Paul saw Jesus on the road to Damascus. St. Teresa had ecstatic visions.

When psychologist William Richards looks at religion, he sees mystical experiences everywhere. The same sort of experiences, he reasons, that come from mind-altering drugs.

That’s why he’s giving magic mushrooms to religious leaders, for a research project based at Johns Hopkins University and New York University.

“There are — it’s so hard to put this into language — sacred eternal experiences that the human being is capable of having. They seem to be at the origin of most religions,” he said. “What we call the eternal seems incredibly real.”

In the Hopkins and NYU study, two dozen clergy — including priests, pastors and rabbis — are taking controlled doses of psilocybin, the drug found in psychedelic mushrooms, under the watchful eye of scientists."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2017/07/24/at-johns-hopkins-clergy-try-mind-altering-drugs-for-scientific-research/?utm_term=.8f5b39d9b0db
Any updates on the research study? Hoping to read of results from such study. I would have loved to have volunteered for such a study myself as I am curious to know what magic mushrooms could do for my mind. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Have You Ever Heard Of Frank E Graeff? He Wrote; Does Jesus Cares!! / 21 Days Of Prayers & Fasting For The Winners Family. / Who Do The Christians Say That I Am

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.