Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,118 members, 7,807,380 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:56 PM

Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? (20076 Views)

What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? / Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? / Uh? Learning Programming With Phone?! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by belelikfin(m): 9:11am On Feb 24, 2010
It can be started at any age, it just need your concentration that's all.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by Nobody: 9:52am On Feb 24, 2010
if you are naturally smart, or let me use the word intelligent
then go for it, u will catch up with those who has been in it for years.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by oradilo: 10:24am On Feb 24, 2010
closed
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by cruworld(m): 12:56pm On Feb 24, 2010
oradilo:

@ Cruworld
Looking for someone in Abuja to mentor you on programming, you can contact me. I program using c++ and Java but Java is my favourite language. Call me on 098710831 (btw 8:00am and 5:00pm, Monday to Friday) or send an email to bnettel@live.com.

I believe it is best to start programming at a very young age (a good example is Bill Gates, started at about 13). But like other folks have said, it is never too old to learn. The most important thing is the interest/passion you can cultivate. Programming is fun and it takes some patience and a lot of practice to be very good. In my opinion, it would take about 2 years of continuous programming to be an average programmer. The earlier the better, so start RIGHT NOW

Alright,
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by snthesis(m): 1:08pm On Feb 24, 2010
the problem with age is that as you grow older you get more responsibilities, less time to learn new things and fear of the future creeps in, which drastically impacts your zeal to overcome challenges, and the creative part of you needed to ingeniously proffer solutions.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by martinosi: 4:26pm On Feb 24, 2010
If u r willing to Learn anything u will learn!!!
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by iGuru1(m): 6:34pm On Feb 24, 2010
snthesis:

the problem with age is that as you grow older you get more responsibilities, less time to learn new things and fear of the future creeps in, which drastically impacts your zeal to overcome challenges, and the creative part of you needed to ingeniously proffer solutions.
You are correct, once a person grow older the fear of economic comes in.
So the earlier the better!
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by SuRiUno: 11:12am On Feb 25, 2010
Knowledge is no respector of persons, If you can teach yourself how to learn, you can learn anything.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by lekside44(m): 4:03pm On Feb 25, 2010
i think 40 years will be a better age to start learning or even higher. by then, we will have better languages to learn. in the world of computing, there are improvements on hardware and software on a daily basis. so the later you join, the better package you are using.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by Albato(m): 1:02am On Feb 26, 2010
Speaking from experience, its not a function of age. Its if your increased responsibilities as you grow older will allow you concenrate as much as is required. Most young people below 20 are excellnet programmers because they have time and do not have mouths to feed. Can you affords to sit on a PC for hours? I used to do it in those days when I had no mouth to feed. Now I live off what I leant then.

Like I said, its not age that matters. Even if you are 50, if you can be able to sit for at least 4 hours daily, you will make a good programmer - provided ya brain de sharp.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by justmoore: 7:58am On Feb 27, 2010
Hi guyz, can anyone put me through? I really need 2 learn 'cos am interested. My mail. dee_alayoplus@yahoo.com. Appreciate ur response. Am in ketu-Lagos
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by javaChief: 9:25am On Mar 17, 2010
Is it late to start learning to play professional football at 28? A philosopher once said, 'the child is the father of the man.'
During the America/Iraq war, I was amazed at the age bracket of the America soldiers, these guys where teenagers!!! averaging 19 years.
At 28 in Nigeria, society expects you to start fending for yourself, to get your own apartment, a job, and maintain a relationship.
At 28 the most you can be (sorry to say) is a spaghetti programmer. Your brain cells are already loosing that youthful enthusiasm and quest for knowledge. The societal expectations also constitute a distraction in becoming a great programmer. At 28, should you eventually find yourself programming for a living, you will more often than not give us developers a bad name, because you will be programming in a fourth generation language without the fundamental basics. It is this basics that make great programmers. You will end up writing software that fails and make corporates loose more confidence in Nigerian programmers.

Some may argue, 'nothing is impossible,' if that were so, Jesus would have been born an adult. The creator himself acknowledges 'process.' My advise, don't join a bandwagon syndrome, look inward to yourself, what are your inherent natural gifts? make a living on such gifts and you will be fine. My apologies for my stern language.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by naijaswag1: 6:49pm On Mar 22, 2010
@javachief I can see why you are ranting.Its because you are already in the Software development industry.I just hope that you will turn back any one who is older than 28 that ventures to attend the java training that you will hold soonest.Some of you people are the reasons why Nigerians who are enthusiastic about IT don't go far.When you roll out exorbitant fees for training which many cannot afford,you become part and parcel of the problems plaguing the Nigerian society.It is this same reason that makes the industries that require these softwares buy from abroad instead of patronizing locally manufactured ones
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by Skywalker5(m): 9:07pm On Mar 27, 2010
javaChief:

Is it late to start learning to play professional football at 28? A philosopher once said, 'the child is the father of the man.'
During the America/Iraq war, I was amazed at the age bracket of the America soldiers, these guys where teenagers!!! averaging 19 years.
At 28 in Nigeria, society expects you to start fending for yourself, to get your own apartment, a job, and maintain a relationship.
At 28 the most you can be (sorry to say) is a[b] spaghetti programmer[/b]. Your brain cells are already loosing that youthful enthusiasm and quest for knowledge. The societal expectations also constitute a distraction in becoming a great programmer. At 28, should you eventually find yourself programming for a living, you will more often than not give us developers a bad name, because you will be programming in a fourth generation language without the fundamental basics. It is this basics that make great programmers. You will end up writing software that fails and make corporates loose more confidence in Nigerian programmers.

Some may argue, 'nothing is impossible,' if that were so, Jesus would have been born an adult. The creator himself acknowledges 'process.' My advise, don't join a bandwagon syndrome, look inward to yourself, what are your inherent natural gifts? make a living on such gifts and you will be fine. My apologies for my stern language.

i hope u a very good programmer as i can see you very proud angry angry angry angry.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by maedan(f): 9:13pm On Mar 27, 2010
Na wa o, since when did someone's brain start to expire by age 28?? Isn't it easier to learn when you are more matured and exposed? If I do JAMB now (after proper study of course) I'm sure I'll pass 100%. I think I could get good marks in any course I put my mind to do, and I think telling someone he'll be a half-baked programmer because he's starting it at 28 is a strange notion for which you have not any proof that it is true. Have you done any studies on the human brain to prove this your "stern language"?

javaChief:

At 28 the most you can be (sorry to say) is a spaghetti programmer. Your brain cells are already loosing that youthful enthusiasm and quest for knowledge. The societal expectations also constitute a distraction in becoming a great programmer. At 28, should you eventually find yourself programming for a living, you will more often than not give us developers a bad name, because you will be programming in a fourth generation language without the fundamental basics. It is this basics that make great programmers. You will end up writing software that fails and make corporates loose more confidence in Nigerian programmers.

Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by javaChief: 8:56am On Apr 01, 2010
@naija_swag
My postulation is you need a background in the physical science to help you program well. Sure you can learn at any age, the question however is on what foundation are you building that body of knowledge. If the foundation be weak, what can the programmer do? Programming goes beyond simply learning a language like Java. The body of knowledge that play out when you program includes discrete mathematics, data structures, logic, modeling & simulation, design patterns, artificial intelligence, algorithms etc. If you have understanding of these areas, it will reflect in your programming. If you don't, it will show as well. This is the difference! I will advice anyone who has more than a casual interest in programming to go for the former, because the later has grave consequences especially when developing mission critical applications. I have written applications that transfer money in billions from account to account in a bank. If you are not on top of your game and you goof by allowing your application to be hacked, u will simply find yourself charged for fraud in EFCC. This is my point for all you fellows that want to hang me. I will appreciate if we debate issues and not get emotional, I guess we are all scientist.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by Skywalker5(m): 9:14pm On Apr 04, 2010
It takes years of experience in order to be able to develop security tight application u talking about. i am sure you started from the basic also. I am 27 and i started learning java 4 months ago. i have had someone like you who told me it was too late. when he found out what i had know, he was surprised. better still,i am developing an application for mobile phone for my project and although its not easy at first and you get frustrated and feel like given up, i have been able learn some basic fundamentals and all that is left is to gain more knowledge and experience in developing application and getting comfortable with most of the commands so i will know how or when to use it. So it depends on the individual.if u have passion for it. Go for it and just find some1 you can hang to when u troubled. you can check youtube if u wanna start.Just incase u interested in the basic and see result you can check this guy's series. I learnt my basics from this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl-zzrqQoSE&feature=PlayList&p=484D73FA74A11AC9&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1

However you still need books to read and some1 to guide you
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by cruisej(m): 1:14am On Apr 05, 2010
Join NAIJA FACE-BOOK the first facebooklike friendship community website for Nigerians only, , just visit www.naijahala.ning.com
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by kwende(m): 10:52am On Apr 06, 2010
@JAVACHIEF"
"I have written applications that transfer money in billions from account to account in a bank. If you are not on top of your game and you goof by allowing your application to be hacked"

PRIDE + PRIDE = PRIDE

NOBODY ASKED U WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN
THE TOPIC IS NOT ABOUT YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS SO OPEN ANOTHER TOPIC WHERE U CAN BRAG ABOUT YOUR SO CALL ACHIEVEMENTS
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by roskyjames: 10:34am On Apr 07, 2010
Better late that never,
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by Ooduafello(m): 2:28pm On Apr 12, 2010
padi mi i started at 32 and am doin it good and making money outa it.so no lele and carry go but u need to give it lota time
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by franklin98: 7:42pm On Apr 15, 2010
No time is to start learning programming, provided that you will be serious for one day. age is only a number
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by gozzilla(m): 3:47pm On May 06, 2010
No age is too late. Programming is certainly not the hardest thing to learn. Making money is and men have made money at latter ages of their life. Yes you can,
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:34pm On Jan 09, 2013
Programming is an art like no other. You have to communicate with your inner self and let the chi flow from within, passing through from your imagination to your reasoning.

It takes patience to achieve oneness with these layers of your "selves". ANd it takes patience for your Art to mature and be appreciated.

May the force be with you!
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by arewatech(m): 6:40pm On Jan 10, 2013
No, it's not. I'm 21 and I'm currently learning programming. I learned coding and web-design when I was 18
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by bidexolumanish(m): 4:56pm On Jan 12, 2013
anyone here in calabar that i can hook with for more skillz in programming.thanks
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by jitenchopra1: 12:57pm On Jan 19, 2013
naija_swag: Is it late to start learning programming @ 28 years?
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by jeffsmith1: 12:18pm On Feb 08, 2013
It's never too late to learn something go ahead and prove yourself.
smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Female OAU Graduate Wins N1m In iROKOtv Programming Contest / Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It / Who Says Nigerians/africans Cannot Be Creative And Build From Scratch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.