Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,707 members, 7,805,901 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:15 AM

Advice On Setting Up New Blog - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Advice On Setting Up New Blog (8870 Views)

How To Index Your New Blog Post On Google In A Minute / New Blog Alert / Please Advise On The Best Domain Name And Host For My New Blog. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice On Setting Up New Blog by lajuto: 10:57pm On Aug 28, 2017
I want to set up a new blog.
I have different ideas and I don't know which one to choose.

I will number the issues and talk about them separately.

1) Niche: I have three different ideas. I don't know which one to go with.
The first is a blog on Nigeria. Specifically to provide information about Nigeria. No politics, no entertainment, purely information about Nigeria. I've already registered the domain name for this but I'm yet to pay for it. From my research, I discovered that there is a good number searches monthly in google for information relating to Nigeria. Also, I discovered that there are not a lot of blogs dedicated to this. However, I'm worried about competition from news and entertainment blogs that are general and are not dedicated to this.

The second is a blog on Architecture. As a student of Architecture, I noticed that there are not enough blogs that is if any dedicated to Architecture in Nigeria. It's mostly websites for some Architectural firms and then some real estate blogs.
However, there are not much searches relating to Architecture in Nigeria. I'm worried about getting traffic on this blog. I don't see how I'll make money from this.

The third and the last is a real estate blog. I'm not really much into this. I'm considering it actually because it like broadens the Architecture niche. So that's why I'm considering it as it has more searches monthly. Though it has more competition.

That's the three niches I'm thinking of going into.

2) Platform
I don't know if I should go with the blogger platform or wordpress. I need advice on that.

3)*. If I go with WordPress what's the best affordable local hosting in Nigeria.
From my research so far, I've found out four that are good.
Garanntor.ng
Qserver
Whogohost
Gigalayer
Web4africa
Smartweb

Please I really need your advice. I'm ready to go into blogging as a business and invest my money in it. I've readied some funds towards this.

Please help a brother.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by olamariamjonez(m): 11:02pm On Aug 28, 2017
Use WordPress and smart web. Check my signature
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by lajuto: 11:06pm On Aug 28, 2017
olamariamjonez:
Use WordPress and smart web.
Check my signature

Ok.

Any reasons for that?

1 Like

Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Immaculatesnow(m): 11:40pm On Aug 28, 2017
lajuto:

The first is a blog on Nigeria. Specifically to provide information about Nigeria. No politics, no entertainment, purely information about Nigeria. I've already registered the domain name for this but I'm yet to pay for it. From my research, I discovered that there is a good number searches monthly in google for information relating to Nigeria. Also, I discovered that there are not a lot of blogs dedicated to this. However, I'm worried about competition from news and entertainment blogs that are general and are not dedicated to this.

The second is a blog on Architecture. As a student of Architecture, I noticed that there are not enough blogs that is if any dedicated to Architecture in Nigeria. It's mostly websites for some Architectural firms and then some real estate blogs.
However, there are not much searches relating to Architecture in Nigeria. I'm worried about getting traffic on this blog. I don't see how I'll make money from this.

The third and the last is a real estate blog. I'm not really much into this. I'm considering it actually because it like broadens the Architecture niche. So that's why I'm considering it as it has more searches monthly. Though it has more competition.

2) Platform
I don't know if I should go with the blogger platform or wordpress. I need advice on that.

3)*. If I go with WordPress what's the best affordable local hosting in Nigeria.
Garanntor.ng
Qserver
Whogohost
Gigalayer
Web4africa
Smartweb

Please I really need your advice. I'm ready to go into blogging as a business and invest my money in it. I've readied some funds towards this.

Please help a brother.

You have started failing by being negative about what you want to go into, but on the bright side unlike other developers who will crowd this tread to promise you the best design of a blog on earth, I can only teach you how to create a youtube channel and grow it to become popular, so instead of wasting that cash paying someone for no value pay me to help you grow your online brand.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by lajuto: 12:31am On Aug 29, 2017
Immaculatesnow:

You have started failing by being negative about what you want to go into, but on the bright side unlike other developers who will crowd this tread to promise you the best design of a blog on earth, I can only teach you how to create a youtube channel and grow it to become popular, so instead of wasting that cash paying someone for no value pay me to help you grow your online brand.

How am I being negative?
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Slayer2: 7:01am On Aug 29, 2017
lajuto:

2) Platform

Garanntor.ng
Qserver
Whogohost
Gigalayer
Web4africa
Smartweb

Please help a brother.

here you go bro, all you need https://applygist.com/2017/08/free-blogging-features-anyone-can-use-start-blog.html
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by fait10(m): 7:01am On Aug 29, 2017
Immaculatesnow:

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Nobody: 7:02am On Aug 29, 2017
Dont waste ur time and data. Blogging don hard. Tpo many bloggera out der
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Dutchey(m): 7:03am On Aug 29, 2017
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Nobody: 7:05am On Aug 29, 2017
Sniper12:

You're wrong. Blogging is only hard to those who have refused to do something differently.

Lajuto, you can make it in blogging.. Actually, I love how you see blogging, business. This is the kind of mentality people need in other to succeed as a blogger. Forget about passion, if you don't pursue it with a business kind of mentality, you'll never make it in blogging.

As a newbie in blogging, what you need more than ever is a mentor. Someone who will always be there for you whenever you need help. I'm not talking about those that will require money. Someone who can do it selflessly without asking for a dime. The secret of life is, when you try to help someone suceed, you succeed yourself.

Contact me, I would be glad to help you in this journey.

Good luck bro

5 Likes

Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by MuyiRano(m): 7:05am On Aug 29, 2017
too many bloggers these days.
it is well anyways
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by miracle4(m): 7:07am On Aug 29, 2017
Starting with a Nigerian host is like planning to stay stagnant for long, instead go with blogger and a custom domain name.

Since you're targeting Nigerian from day one, go with it in broad and use silos SEO hierarchy to bring in the other niche of interest on board. No need making a separate websites for them.

Note that "silo SEO hierarchy" won't be possible on blogger though. Remember to create social media pages for it from day one
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by kesmalindo(m): 7:07am On Aug 29, 2017
Sniper12:
exactly. this d reason why I stopped my blog.
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Prec1ous(m): 7:08am On Aug 29, 2017
1. Since you are confused about the niche, make it a Nigerian information blog and add architecture and real estate as categories, with time you will know which should come foremost.

This will save you from procrastination.

2. WordPress is the platform you should use.

3. Qservers, I use them presently and I have never had an issue, I actually left a popular Nigerians webhost with an unexpired hosting account.

I was always having database error and downtime, with Qservers I don't have that problem anymore.

Wish you success, if you need more help, reach out to me.
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Fonereporters: 7:10am On Aug 29, 2017
First of all RUN from 9ja host they will kill your career from scratch , secondly go with Wp if you have the cash, thirdly if the search volume for the 9ja niche is much ,then u can go ahead with that
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by rectitude(m): 7:12am On Aug 29, 2017
You can contact me through this 08037126760 ( WhatsApp). For a professional design of your blog, I guaranty an outstanding platform to stand you out, how do I know this, because I don't use free templates for design, my templates are paid for Pro themes that affords you all the blog futures Fortune 500 sites enjoy.
NB: I can design while you do the hosting yourself.
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by rjek: 7:13am On Aug 29, 2017
Immaculatesnow:

Every man speakth for himself.....
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Divepen1(m): 7:16am On Aug 29, 2017
lajuto:

Congrats on these ideas.

I'll ask you to find the one that is truly your passion. Whenever you become successful at that you might begin to try others. If you go any that isn't your passion. You're liable of failing or becoming tired.

2) Platform

I'll go with WordPress any day especially because of the theme and the accessibility I have. I operate my website Writertain with WordPress app.
Garanntor.ng
Qserver
Whogohost
Gigalayer
Web4africa
Smartweb

After a research done by my friends, ekaromail and Repogirl, we decided local hosting companies have lower reviews and are easily hackable. So we went for Namecheap. I got mine for just 4k. While I got the domain name 5k

Please help a brother.

I should have answered this yesterday, but I guess I assumed others answered you correctly.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Scarcitato(m): 7:20am On Aug 29, 2017
U re already a failure, u want to blog for money. Come and ask my y....
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Donald3d(m): 7:22am On Aug 29, 2017
Who wants an Android app for their blog? ,.Send me a pm!

Hey guys I just built an app to Curb job scams check it out here https://www.nairaland.com/4008581/just-created-android-app-curb
Pls try it out!

1 Like

Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Innov8ve1: 7:23am On Aug 29, 2017
What's up with all these people coming here saying "i can design and develop a blog/website for you"? If u hear their price u'll be taken aback. A newbie can get a wordpress site up and running in no time and tweak it along the way. You dont have to pay any soul to do it.
I couldnt even code shiiit but yet was able to host a site on my own.

op go with any niche u feel you are comfortable with. Its one thing to start a blog, its another thing to constantly update it with posts. The most crucial entity that makes people give up on blogging is traffic, if you cant get a chunk of that search traffic or traffic from social media, the foundation of your blogging career will be shaky.

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Nobody: 7:45am On Aug 29, 2017
There is no need posting listening to million promises here. Go on.
Chose a niche around your passion, and learn every possible technique to make is sale. Successful blogs are those set upon passion. But there is work ahead of you.

I've written how you can set up your blog without paying a web developer here.

Read to get started: http://www.weusenaira.com/how-to-create-and-host-your-blogsite-without-paying-a-web-developer-part-1/

1 Share

Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by NaijaOrNothing: 7:51am On Aug 29, 2017
ARCHITECTURE!!!
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by igwedaboss(m): 8:03am On Aug 29, 2017
rectitude:
You can contact me through this 08037126760 ( WhatsApp). For a professional design of your blog, I guaranty an outstanding platform to stand you out, how do I know this, because I don't use free templates for design, my templates are paid for Pro themes that affords you all the blog futures Fortune 500 sites enjoy.
NB: I can design while you do the hosting yourself.
Post links to blogs you've designed. Interested
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by igwedaboss(m): 8:07am On Aug 29, 2017
@OP.

Whoever says blog is done with is a big liar. People project their failure on people because they have failed. Don't mind those set of people.

It is true that the industry is saturated, but I can assure you that with a well detailed and informative blog, you will standout. Because the one thing that naija blogs lack is diversity and quality information. A lot of bloggers are information theft and lack the understanding to further make it detailed for viewers to stay on the blog for long.

So before you start blogging. You need to ask yourself several questions. One important thing you need to do is to develop a plan, like a business plan. You have identified some industry niche you like to work on. Have you done enough research to see how this competitors have faired. See ehn, bloggers are scared someone might come and take their spot, so if you really want to do this, look at where they have not satisfied viewers, that is where you will build your uniqueness.

When you have sorted that out. You need to understand the concept of blogging and monetization. This will help you develop the right structure and UX of your blog. SEO is very important, internal linking is very important, content is king, visuals is important as well, this include videos, graphics and podcasts. If you truly want to do this, then study, research and plan to succeed. Bless.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by webincomeplus(m): 8:08am On Aug 29, 2017
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by lajuto: 8:21am On Aug 29, 2017
Thank you all for your comments.

Considering the fact that I am geo-targeting Nigeria. Should I use .com.ng or go with .com
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by lajuto: 8:25am On Aug 29, 2017
HenryDion:

You're wrong. Blogging is only hard to those who have refused to do something differently.

Lajuto, you can make it in blogging.. Actually, I love how you see blogging, business. This is the kind of mentality people need in other to succeed as a blogger. Forget about passion, if you don't pursue it with a business kind of mentality, you'll never make it in blogging.

As a newbie in blogging, what you need more than ever is a mentor. Someone who will always be there for you whenever you need help. I'm not talking about those that will require money. Someone who can do it selflessly without asking for a dime. The secret of life is, when you try to help someone suceed, you succeed yourself.

Contact me, I would be glad to help you in this journey.

Good luck bro

Thanks for the advice. Hope I can contact you through WhatsApp.
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Webman007: 8:27am On Aug 29, 2017
My dear, most Nigerians use blogger and i will personally use WordPress. As for the hosting since you're particular about local host, you can go with WhogoHost or gigalayer.

But me i do foreign host and Namecheap in particular.

After you're done creating your blog and start blogging around your niche, making sure it's properly optimized and indexed becomes important. I have earlier today created a thread on 'How to Find Out if Your Website is Indexed by the Search Engine's: You can read that thread here https://www.nairaland.com/4019026/how-find-out-website-listed Or better still read the article itself here: http://doerstechnologies.com.ng/how-to-find-out-if-your-website-listed-search-engines

And if your need professional help in building the blog/site you can give me a ring here 08095966698

Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by lajuto: 8:33am On Aug 29, 2017
miracle4:
Starting with a Nigerian host is like planning to stay stagnant for long, instead go with blogger and a custom domain name.

Since you're targeting Nigerian from day one, go with it in broad and use silos SEO hierarchy to bring in the other niche of interest on board. No need making a separate websites for them.

Note that "silo SEO hierarchy" won't be possible on blogger though. Remember to create social media pages for it from day one

How do I brand it if I have one website for the three?

Can you explain more on Silo SEO hierarchy. Is there a webpage I can read more on that.
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by checkolatunji: 8:35am On Aug 29, 2017
Immaculatesnow:

Bro... I need that YouTube pls.

Can I have your contact for whatapps?

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Re-branding Nigeria Website / Is Dreamweaver The Only Website Creating Protocol? / Websites And Browser Compatibilty Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.