Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:16 AM

Advice On Setting Up New Blog - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Advice On Setting Up New Blog (8873 Views)

How To Index Your New Blog Post On Google In A Minute / New Blog Alert / Please Advise On The Best Domain Name And Host For My New Blog. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by kingrt2(m): 8:36am On Aug 29, 2017
Check mine out and learn a few things @ www.allsportart.
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by lajuto: 8:37am On Aug 29, 2017
Webman007:
My dear, most Nigerians use blogger and i will personally use WordPress. As for the hosting since you're particular about local host, you can go with WhogoHost or gigalayer.

But me i do foreign host and Namecheap in particular.

After you're done creating your blog and start blogging around your niche, making sure it's properly optimized and indexed becomes important. I have earlier today created a thread on 'How to Find Out if Your Website is Indexed by the Search Engine's: You can read that thread here https://www.nairaland.com/4019026/how-find-out-website-listed Or better still read the article itself here: http://doerstechnologies.com.ng/how-to-find-out-if-your-website-listed-search-engines

And if your need professional help in building the blog/site you can give me a ring here 08095966698

Thanks bro. I will check out namecheap.
I've actually done some background studies in blogging and I know a bit about SEO.

I've tried out a test blog actually but I want to fully delve into blogging now.

Hope I can contact you through WhatsApp.
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Augustvisitor: 8:38am On Aug 29, 2017
lajuto:
I want to set up a new blog.
I have different ideas and I don't know which one to choose.

I will number the issues and talk about them separately.

1) Niche: I have three different ideas. I don't know which one to go with.
The first is a blog on Nigeria. Specifically to provide information about Nigeria. No politics, no entertainment, purely information about Nigeria. I've already registered the domain name for this but I'm yet to pay for it. From my research, I discovered that there is a good number searches monthly in google for information relating to Nigeria. Also, I discovered that there are not a lot of blogs dedicated to this. However, I'm worried about competition from news and entertainment blogs that are general and are not dedicated to this.

The second is a blog on Architecture. As a student of Architecture, I noticed that there are not enough blogs that is if any dedicated to Architecture in Nigeria. It's mostly websites for some Architectural firms and then some real estate blogs.
However, there are not much searches relating to Architecture in Nigeria. I'm worried about getting traffic on this blog. I don't see how I'll make money from this.

The third and the last is a real estate blog. I'm not really much into this. I'm considering it actually because it like broadens the Architecture niche. So that's why I'm considering it as it has more searches monthly. Though it has more competition.

That's the three niches I'm thinking of going into.

2) Platform
I don't know if I should go with the blogger platform or wordpress. I need advice on that.

3)*. If I go with WordPress what's the best affordable local hosting in Nigeria.
From my research so far, I've found out four that are good.
Garanntor.ng
Qserver
Whogohost
Gigalayer
Web4africa
Smartweb

Please I really need your advice. I'm ready to go into blogging as a business and invest my money in it. I've readied some funds towards this.

Please help a brother.

Follow how Linda Ikeji started
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Viktor1983(m): 8:39am On Aug 29, 2017
try ng.hub8.com
they are new thought, read about them on either miss techy or techpoint.ng
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by shadrach77: 8:46am On Aug 29, 2017
Too many bloggers. Look for a viable means of livelyhood cry
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by lajuto: 8:49am On Aug 29, 2017
Divepen1:
Congrats on these ideas.

I'll ask you to find the one that is truly your passion. Whenever you become successful at that you might begin to try others. If you go any that isn't your passion. You're liable of failing or becoming tired.

I'll go with WordPress any day especially because of the theme and the accessibility I have. I operate my website Writertain with WordPress app.

After a research done by my friends, ekaromail and Repogirl, we decided local hosting companies have lower reviews and are easily hackable. So we went for Namecheap. I got mine for just 4k. While I got the domain name 5k

I should have answered this yesterday, but I guess I assumed others answered you correctly.

OK. I will check out namecheap. Architecture is my field. But there's not enough searches related to Architecture. I've thought about going with two of them but I'm worried about SEO and creating a brand for the blog. And then there's the blog name to factor in.

Prec1ous:
1. Since you are confused about the niche, make it a Nigerian information blog and add architecture and real estate as categories, with time you will know which should come foremost.

This will save you from procrastination.

2. WordPress is the platform you should use.

3. Qservers, I use them presently and I have never had an issue, I actually left a popular Nigerians webhost with an unexpired hosting account.

I was always having database error and downtime, with Qservers I don't have that problem anymore.

Wish you success, if you need more help, reach out to me.

How do I do SEO for the blog if it's multifaceted
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Webman007: 8:56am On Aug 29, 2017
lajuto:

Thanks bro. I will check out namecheap.
I've actually done some background studies in blogging and I know a bit about SEO.

I've tried out a test blog actually but I want to fully delve into blogging now.

Hope I can contact you through WhatsApp.

Yes bro you can.....
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by SConnect: 9:00am On Aug 29, 2017
lajuto:

3)*. If I go with WordPress what's the best affordable local hosting in Nigeria.

Please I really need your advice. I'm ready to go into blogging as a business and invest my money in it. I've readied some funds towards this.

Please help a brother.

Just incase, you may be interested in a Reliable Web Hosting Provider for your WordPress website.

Our unlimited web hosting package is the best, it's super fast and very stable backed with a 100% Uptime Guarantee.

Top Features:
Unlimited Web Space
Unlimited Monthly Bandwidth
Free Unlimited SSL Certificates
Free Automatic Daily Backup
100% Uptime Guarantee
Fully supports Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, SMF, etc
FREE Softaculous Auto Installer
FREE Website Transfer
London, UK Data-center

Starting at ₦2700 First Year using Promo Code: 50%OFFUNLIMITED
Payments Accepted via Bitcoin, PerfectMoney, PayPal, Naira MasterCard/Verve/Visa & GTBank Internet Banking

Why You Should Host Your Website With Us

UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH/TRAFFIC
At SpeedyConnect.net, worrying about the bandwidth/traffic consumption of your shared hosting account is a thing of the past as each of our shared hosting packages has Unlimited bandwidth/traffic.

WE ARE NOT RESELLERS
We own and manage all our servers, This allows us to pass on very competitive lowest cost prices unto our customers.

24/7/365 CUSTOMER SUPPORT
We are always here to serve you 24/7/365 (Day and Night) via Live Chat, Ticket.

100% UPTIME GUARANTEE
We hate downtime just as much as you do. We guarantee your website a rock solid 100% uptime, which means your website will be online always.

LOW PRICE GUARANTEE
Our Hosting prices are very cheap and include an extensive list of features including UNLIMITED web space, UNLIMITED bandwidth, and If you know of any host offering same features at a lower price, just contact us and we will beat it.

FREE AUTOMATIC DAILY BACKUP
Your data are automatically backed up daily and stored in multiple backup servers at no extra cost. Sleep well knowing your data is in safe hands.

YOU BENEFIT FROM HIGH QUALITY SERVICES
We utilize only High spec Intel Xeon CPU's, Enterprise SATA's & SSD's, fully redundant premium network, 1Gbps Uplink and lot's more.

----------
Follow us on Social Media:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/speedyconnect
Facebook: https://facebook.com/speedyconnect.net
Instagram: https://instagram.com/speedyconnect_net
------------

Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Nobody: 9:11am On Aug 29, 2017
Yes you can
lajuto:

Thanks for the advice. Hope I can contact you through WhatsApp.
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Nobody: 9:13am On Aug 29, 2017
shadrach77:

Don't discourage the guy nau smiley

OP, regarding the niche to choose: Let it be known to you that even the most-crowded niche is still very much available for you delve into. Good Strategy/Creativity is all that is required to rise and make money. So what should define your choice of niche is where your Passion can remain undaunted even if your blog does not successfully generate a thousand naira after a whooping 6months of investing your time, energies, and money into it.

For Platform, go for WordPress.

For Hosting, our firm does that but since you didn't include that, go for either Whogohost or Web4Africa. Whogohost seems better in terms of customer care btw.

Expand your Business online with a Website of your own. N20k only. Check my signature for details.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by 0Charity(m): 9:17am On Aug 29, 2017
Lajuto thank you for your question...I would have ask about WordPress too but the area has been discussed.
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by lajuto: 9:18am On Aug 29, 2017
Jobreaders:
There is no need posting listening to million promises here. Go on.
Chose a niche around your passion, and learn every possible technique to make is sale. Successful blogs are those set upon passion. But there is work ahead of you.

I've written how you can set up your blog without paying a web developer here.

Read to get started: http://www.weusenaira.com/how-to-create-and-host-your-blogsite-without-paying-a-web-developer-part-1/

OK. Thanks a lot.

Can I startup With two?
Maybe one would be the major theme and another a minor theme.
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by lajuto: 9:19am On Aug 29, 2017
angelbulksms:

Don't discourage the guy nau smiley

OP, regarding the niche to choose: Let it be known to you that even the most-crowded niche is still very much available for you delve into. Good Strategy/Creativity is all that is required to rise and make money. So what should define your choice of niche is where your Passion can remain undaunted even if your blog does not successfully generate a thousand naira after a whooping 6months of investing your time, energies, and money into it.

For Platform, go for WordPress.

For Hosting, our mother-firm does that but since you didn't include that, go for either Whogohost or Web4Africa. Whogohost seems better in terms of customer care btw.

Expand your Business online with a Website of your own. N20k only. Check my signature for details.

Which one is our mother firm
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Prec1ous(m): 9:22am On Aug 29, 2017
lajuto:

OK. I will check out namecheap. Architecture is my field. But there's not enough searches related to Architecture. I've thought about going with two of them but I'm worried about SEO and creating a brand for the blog. And then there's the blog name to factor in.

How do I do SEO for the blog if it's multifaceted

Targeting all Nigerian information already made your blog less faceted and less focused.

This is because, you will be talking about Nigerian history and evenvhow to travel to Nigeria, that is two niches already.

Put each niche as a category and build from there.
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Nobody: 9:24am On Aug 29, 2017
lajuto:

Which one is our mother firm

Our main firm (Xcel Cyber Technologies).

But I've edited your quote so that you can get my point.
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by lajuto: 9:32am On Aug 29, 2017
igwedaboss:
@OP.

Whoever says blog is done with is a big liar. People project their failure on people because they have failed. Don't mind those set of people.

It is true that the industry is saturated, but I can assure you that with a well detailed and informative blog, you will standout. Because the one thing that naija blogs lack is diversity and quality information. A lot of bloggers are information theft and lack the understanding to further make it detailed for viewers to stay on the blog for long.

So before you start blogging. You need to ask yourself several questions. One important thing you need to do is to develop a plan, like a business plan. You have identified some industry niche you like to work on. Have you done enough research to see how this competitors have faired. See ehn, bloggers are scared someone might come and take their spot, so if you really want to do this, look at where they have not satisfied viewers, that is where you will build your uniqueness.

When you have sorted that out. You need to understand the concept of blogging and monetization. This will help you develop the right structure and UX of your blog. SEO is very important, internal linking is very important, content is king, visuals is important as well, this include videos, graphics and podcasts. If you truly want to do this, then study, research and plan to succeed. Bless.

Thanks bro.
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by lajuto: 11:28am On Aug 29, 2017
igwedaboss:
@OP.

Whoever says blog is done with is a big liar. People project their failure on people because they have failed. Don't mind those set of people.

It is true that the industry is saturated, but I can assure you that with a well detailed and informative blog, you will standout. Because the one thing that naija blogs lack is diversity and quality information. A lot of bloggers are information theft and lack the understanding to further make it detailed for viewers to stay on the blog for long.

So before you start blogging. You need to ask yourself several questions. One important thing you need to do is to develop a plan, like a business plan. You have identified some industry niche you like to work on. Have you done enough research to see how this competitors have faired. See ehn, bloggers are scared someone might come and take their spot, so if you really want to do this, look at where they have not satisfied viewers, that is where you will build your uniqueness.

When you have sorted that out. You need to understand the concept of blogging and monetization. This will help you develop the right structure and UX of your blog. SEO is very important, internal linking is very important, content is king, visuals is important as well, this include videos, graphics and podcasts. If you truly want to do this, then study, research and plan to succeed. Bless.

Can I get your contact?
Prec1ous:

Targeting all Nigerian information already made your blog less faceted and less focused.

This is because, you will be talking about Nigerian history and evenvhow to travel to Nigeria, that is two niches already.

Put each niche as a category and build from there.

Can I get your contact too?
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Immaculatesnow(m): 12:51pm On Aug 29, 2017
checkolatunji:

Bro... I need that YouTube pls.

Can I have your contact for whatapps?

Thanks

yes you can
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by checkolatunji: 1:51pm On Aug 29, 2017
Immaculatesnow:

yes you can

Okay bro

Send it pls

Thanks
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Jpaul16(m): 2:11pm On Aug 29, 2017
Whogohost is a nice hosting platform. Also i believe the real estate niche is a good niche ; less competion and abundance of affiliate ads.
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by bedfordng(m): 2:11pm On Aug 29, 2017
hmmm
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Immaculatesnow(m): 2:59pm On Aug 29, 2017
checkolatunji:

Okay bro

Send it pls

Thanks

Click on my profile name you will see all my details plus my number
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by vezycash(m): 5:15pm On Aug 29, 2017
lajuto:

The first is a blog on Nigeria. Specifically to provide information about Nigeria. No politics, no entertainment, purely information about Nigeria. I've already registered the domain name for this but I'm yet to pay for it. From my research, I discovered that there is a good number searches monthly in google for information relating to Nigeria. Also, I discovered that there are not a lot of blogs dedicated to this. However, I'm worried about competition from news and entertainment blogs that are general and are not dedicated to this.

The second is a blog on Architecture. As a student of Architecture, I noticed that there are not enough blogs that is if any dedicated to Architecture in Nigeria. It's mostly websites for some Architectural firms and then some real estate blogs.
However, there are not much searches relating to Architecture in Nigeria. I'm worried about getting traffic on this blog. I don't see how I'll make money from this.

The third and the last is a real estate blog. I'm not really much into this. I'm considering it actually because it like broadens the Architecture niche. So that's why I'm considering it as it has more searches monthly. Though it has more competition.

2) Platform
I don't know if I should go with the blogger platform or wordpress. I need advice on that.

Garanntor.ng
Qserver
Whogohost
Gigalayer
Web4africa
Smartweb

Please help a brother.

Call me 08030166791 - I'm not selling you anything.
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by toluxe0075: 6:01pm On Aug 29, 2017
lajuto:

2) Platform

Garanntor.ng
Qserver
Whogohost
Gigalayer
Web4africa
Smartweb

Please help a brother.

Op for hosting, I recommend bluehost, even WordPress recommends it. It's just that it's a foreign hosting platform
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by GoldenOkechukwu(m): 7:53pm On Aug 29, 2017
Hello
I want to commend your interest in starting up a blog.
But note that as a newbie, you should first learn how to create a free blog on blogger
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by chloroform: 7:37am On Aug 30, 2017
shadrach77:

Like?
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Nobody: 7:53am On Aug 30, 2017
Slayer2:

here you go bro, all you need https://applygist.com/2017/08/free-blogging-features-anyone-can-use-start-blog.html

Mr. man. So you're the imbecilè that have been copying my content abi? You're even here on Nairaland. Not only did you copy my content, you were threatening my blog.

All the contents on your blog are copied, including the one you are pasted above. You'll not go anywhere if you think copying and pasting will help you. I haven't reported your blog yet..
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Slayer2: 8:16am On Aug 30, 2017
HenryDion:

Mr. man. So you're the imbecilè that have been copying my content abi? You're even here on Nairaland. Not only did you copy my content, you were threatening my blog.

All the contents on your blog are copied, including the one you are pasted above. You'll not go anywhere if you think copying and pasting will help you. I haven't reported your blog yet..

Lolz. I saw the post there and decided to share with the op. How is it now my blog? undecided
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Nobody: 8:18am On Aug 30, 2017
Slayer2:

Lolz. I saw the post there and decided to share with the op. How is it now my blog? undecided

Okay.. I will surely catch that button here...
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Slayer2: 8:19am On Aug 30, 2017
HenryDion:

Okay.. I will surely catch that button here...

So what about the insults you just rendered on me? cry
Re: Advice On Setting Up New Blog by Nobody: 8:20am On Aug 30, 2017
Sorry grin grin grin
Slayer2:

So what about the insults you just rendered on me? cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Re-branding Nigeria Website / Websites And Browser Compatibilty Issues / Simple Truths All Nigeria Bloggers Must Face For Success In Blogging!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.