Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,065 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:26 AM

What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? (19068 Views)

What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? / Which Books Are You Currently Reading? / What Books Are You Reading At The Moment-share It With Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by niniowo(f): 3:46pm On Dec 18, 2005
Nigerians love to read. You just have to go to the nearest vendor to see the myriads of publication to convince yourself. But the question is different when it comes down to books. Some have the tendency to look down on Nigerian Books. One can hardly see books in Nigerian Languages. Why?

Most of us will remember African Writers Series, Pacesetters and other series. I have just finished reading 'Ajasin; Memoirs and Memories' and Dare Babarinsa's House of War. They are engrossing and they will give you insight into Nigerian Politics. So beloved Folks, have you read any Nigerian book of recent?

2 Likes

Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by prettyH(f): 12:11am On Dec 20, 2005
At the moment not reading any.
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by Renegade(m): 9:44am On Dec 20, 2005
oh nigeria has talented writers- period.
i can't help but reread Eze Goes To School. i read Chinua Achebe's A Man of the People last month. the guy is a bundle of talent. i also read Beyond the Execution by Tom Mbeke. it tells the story of Saro Wiwa and gives insight into ethnic relations and military politics in naija.
Buchi Emecheta is another gifted writer, try reading Moonlight Bride, Bride Price, & The Slave Girl.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by gabuu(m): 12:35pm On Dec 20, 2005
I think that most nigerian love reading motivational / Financial books. that is why books that are mostly fictional are sconed by Nigerians. If you must read, I guess you should read serious books. smiley
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by hotspice(f): 3:56pm On Dec 20, 2005
@ gabuu what do u mean by serious? fictional books? angry
tell me do you watch only Discovery channel? afterall 95% of
movies are fictional and about 45% are based on novels. and
if one should go by what u said(i.e read only serious books) the you should not watch films!
and sit-coms!

If you are a lover of books(which i guess this forum is for)
then you will appreciate both fictional,motivational, inspirational e.t.c books.
a book lover reads a variety cos it broadens the mind.
why is Literature-in-English being studied both in Secondary and Higher Institutions?
after all according to you one most only read serious books?!
and as for most Nigerians reading motivational books....that is not true.

most Nigerians are below proverty line(W.H.O reports) and buying/reading
is a waste of money/time to them.
hey no hard feelings grin
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by dejiolowe: 6:06pm On Dec 20, 2005
I have read Sunday Adeniyi's Last 100 days of Abacha.
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by Outkast(f): 3:51am On Dec 21, 2005
Just finished reading Icarus girl by Helen Oyeyemi. Looking for something else that tickles me fancy.
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by kelvin(m): 2:49pm On Dec 21, 2005
Yeah I love to read books... fictions and non-fictions
I just read some nigerian novels like "Wrong Neck In The Noose", "Guts Of Ebini" "Chief Okaeme"... and a lot more. The truth is that most Nigerians don't like to read especially when the book is not in a school curriculum.
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by Z4M4eva(f): 2:53pm On Dec 21, 2005
I am not reading a nigerian book at the moment, I am reading a book by Val Mcdermid, "The Distant Echo", and so far, it's been good.
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by ababoy1(m): 5:35pm On Dec 21, 2005
Currently reading “The Biafra Story – The making of an African Legend” by Frederick Forsyth. I recommend it to anyone who wants to read a contemporary narrative of Biafra from start to finish.

2 Likes

Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by gabuu(m): 6:16pm On Dec 21, 2005
Hotspice dont get me wrong! What I was simply saying is that if an average Nigerian wants to read he simply reads what he 'Thiinks' translate to money. Eg, I bought "The seven habits of highly effective people/8th Habit" by Stephen Covey ecause I beleived that It will increase my Knowledge so also my friends. But before now, I read James Hardley Chase (All in the series), Pacesetters, etc all these were just to fill in the gap.
Of course I watch movies. Only when it is absolutely necessary. If i have my way I will watch discovery channel 24/7
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by mide2(f): 3:12am On Dec 22, 2005
I don't think this thread is an argumentative one. Just give your answer and if u don't read nigerian books, it isn't a crime just go on to the thread that suits u.

I have read (and i'm still reading )a number of books by Wole Oguntokun.....(don't know if u've heard of him but his books are interesting and insightful )

A few of them are :
Who's afraid of Wole Soyinka
Gbanja Roulette
The other side
and others sha...........
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by virozuru(f): 12:28am On Dec 24, 2005
what will my mother say?

things fall apart?
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by aartaxerxe(m): 10:18pm On Dec 24, 2005
I recently read Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

A Wonderful story for anyone to read. About a young girl growing up in nigeria with a background story that draws strong parallels with Nigerias recent history.

I Totally, Thoroughly Recommended it.

1 Like

Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by niniowo(f): 6:11pm On Jan 03, 2006
I read the award wining Purple Hibiscus too. It's a good read. Segun Adeniyi's Last 100 Days of Abacha is equally good. And believe it or not, Soyinka's Penkelemesi Years is fantastic! it is in flowing 'small' english very much uncharacteristic of Kongi. It is a must read. And you will enjoy it, if you dont.......

1 Like

Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by crave(f): 10:33pm On Mar 16, 2006
I left Nigeria as a Kid,  and I went back for a visit for the first time in 17years last year.
When I got back, I picked up Purple Hibiscus and I could just feel and imagine what she was writing. I really enjoyed it. I think my visit help me to appreciate the book more. My Non-Nigeria friend(the one that actually told me about the book) also liked it.
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by reniks(f): 9:28am On Mar 17, 2006
Purple Hibiscus is great.In the past days i've read at 4 Nigerian books.Isidore Okpewho's "Last Duty" and "The Victims".Ola Rotimi's "Our Husband has gone Mad Again"and Amos Tutuola's hilarious" Palmwine drinkard"
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by acidrop(f): 4:12am On Mar 21, 2007
hw can i get these books, am seriously missing all the smo aka, wole soyinka and chinue achebe books, since 4 yrs i left 9ja, can someone tell me hw 2 access these books
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by kanor: 1:13am On Jun 08, 2009
Just discovered a nigerian online bookstore site where you can buy all those interesting titles to read: walahi.com
Their literature category has all those titles: Things fall Apart, Burning Grass, half of a yellow sun, wole soyinka's books etc.
I toke delivery of some management books I ordered recently.
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by seeme2(f): 11:23am On Jun 09, 2011
Times of the supermen
by Tope Apoola

Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by MyneWhite1(f): 12:37am On Oct 18, 2011
If you enjoy romantic fiction check out my books, A Love Rekindled and A Heart to Mend.

Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by Jenifa1: 12:41am On Oct 18, 2011
^ where do u get all the time?
I see you everywhere on the internet!

next time I will be asking for an autograph sef.
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by moyinlorun: 4:40pm On Oct 23, 2011
check out "the Nigerian Tragedy" it's one of the best fiction book that challenged the present Nigeria and give hope for the future Nigeria.
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by ghostofsparta(m): 2:30am On Oct 24, 2011
[size=28pt]The Living Thoughts of OBAFEMI AWOLOWO[/size]

1 Like

Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by Nickydrake(m): 10:30pm On Oct 24, 2011
Read Helon Habila's Waiting for an Angel as an academic requirement and it turned out to be a good read in itself. Nigerian books do not interest me though. I've also read two of Adichie's works and i didn't find them as captivating as they'd been made to appear. The works are Half of a Yellow Sun and The Thing Around Your Neck, the latter being a collection of short stories with annoyingly abrupt endings that make you think 'is this it' undecided?

PS: I'm an ardent reader of short stories and i find it quite disheartening that this particular genre isn't very popular among Nigerian authors. If there are any good short stories by Nigerian writers other than the ubiquitous prose pieces that are apparently crafted for the most primary school kids, i'd be glad to read 'em.
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by breathing(f): 10:14pm On Oct 27, 2011
Just finished reading Helon Habila's waiting for an angel. And i love African literature
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by 0393: 7:46pm On Oct 29, 2011
the extortionist.

a Nigerian writing website will soon be launched.be the first to have your poem,shortstory,articles,essays and other creative things showcased.send your writing to creativty1@gmail.com (not creativity).mind you, do not send everything to avoid plagarism.

Benefits of the websites include;
exposure to several competitions,
showcasing of your works to numerous publishing agents
allowing your work to be reviewed, praised or criticized.
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by anthobi: 1:23pm On Nov 01, 2011
Naturally,the issue of reading is being consider an alien culture in Nigeria and some African countries at large.If you take Kenya for instance,the countries devised new means of cultivating reading habit by introducing technology make reading easy(pseudo).No books is not good but some times i choose African rooted books like Things fall apart,hope of the living dead,trial of Didan kimathi(Kenya book), and many others.
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by ortopazz(m): 4:12pm On Nov 03, 2011
I WOULD NOT LIE, I am a proud NIGERIAN and not afraid when it comes to literature to hold my head up high as a proud one at that. Truth be told we are lazy when it comes to the present day writers due to our lack of adjustment to the modern trend, yes of course the AFRICAN story oor culture must be exposed and funny enough THE CHINUA ACHEBE'S AND CYPRIAN EKWENSI'S ETC have done that. we need to think outside the box and bring in our new trend even though AFRICAN but with a new flavour to spice it up.

CYPRIAN EKWENSI no doubt was my best while growing up, 'the passport of mallam illia' creativity dope, etc, ACHEBE'S works too, ISIDORE OKPEHWO, OLA ROTIMI'S WORKS, these are truly AFRICAN. BUT that trend must be taken over and we must not reside in the garage of history.

but kudos to them though.

Right now not on any NIGERIAN WORK but will go get to aid this thread, p;sssssssssssssss @@@@@@@@@@ every11111111111111111111 get a JOHN GRISHAM, DAVID GALBADACCI, NORA ROBERTS, ANN KRISTEN,
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by gorociano: 10:12pm On Nov 03, 2011
Chuma Nwokolo's "Diaries of a Dead African", it is absolutely hilarious. Just finished it and starting Teju Cole's "Open City", Try http://pulpfaction.org.ng/ for the most interesting nigerian books, they have something called a book of the month, books that are great read believe me.
Re: What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? by Kxy(m): 6:54pm On Nov 06, 2011
So far, the book I find real interesting is Chinua Achebe's things fall apart. It's indeed a master piece.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Walk With The Devil (Vol. 1) By Devilpen / The Killer Leggings / Which Of These Did You Read?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.