Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,248 members, 7,780,512 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:43 PM

Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF (20951 Views)

Lauretta Onochie: We Will Find Sponsors Of Boko Haram Soon / Comrade Adams Oshiomhole Was Not Arrested, It Is A Rumour - APC / Police Knows The Sponsors Of Herdsmen But Can’t Arrest Them – Former Naval Chief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by Nobody: 8:21pm On Aug 29, 2017
…sets up new investigative unit for sensitive cases

By Ikechukwu Nnochiri & Ifeoluwa Mic-Braimoh ABUJA –

The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami, SAN, on Tuesday, explained why the Federal Government could not arrest sponsors of the quit notice that was previously issued against Igbos residing in the northern part of the country.

Malami, SAN, said the government resisted pressure to go after leaders of the Arewa Youth Consultative Forum, after it gave due consideration to “security implications” of arresting them.

However, the AGF said the government would not hesitate to wield the big stick against anyone or group found to have engaged in any form of lawlessness in any part of the country. According to him, “Government considered the security implications on the issue. Let me state that government is alive to its responsibility and whoever is found wanting will be prosecuted. This administration is determined to provide good governance and promote justice, peace and fairness”.

The AGF spoke on the issue shortly after he established an Investigation Unit in the Federal Ministry of Justice, with a mandate to investigate “sensitive and important cases”. Malami blamed the rift between him and the Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Mr. Ibrahim Magu over prosecution of high profile cases, on negative media reports, though he admitted that shallow investigation was a major reason why some cases were thrown out by the courts. He said that the new unit that was established in the Ministry of Justice will henceforth “coordinate and form part of every investigation in Nigeria”, saying the move became necessary in view of apparent lack of “legal expertise in the conduct and process of investigations by the various security agencies in Nigeria”.

The AGF insisted that the new unit would address those anomalies leading that not only led to frequent loss of court cases by the prosecuting agencies, but equally the “consistent rejection of vital/relevant evidence of the course of prosecution.” The Justice Minister however declined to specify the agencies whose pending court cases may likely be taken over by the new unit.

However, aside the EFCC, other prosecuting agencies directly under the AGF’s supervision include the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission, the Department of State Service, the National Drugs Law Enforcement Agency, National Agency for the Prohibition of Traffic in Person, as well as the Nigerian Police Force. Announcing the establishment of the new investigative unit in Abuja yesterday, the AGF said: “Consequent upon want of expertise in the conduct and process of investigations by various security agencies in Nigeria and the need to address such anomalies leading to consistent rejection of vital/relevant evidence in the course of prosecution and or the writing down of the probative value of such evidence owing to inappropriate investigation, my office as a result, and in line with the constitutional powers conferred on me as the chief law officer of the federation and by virtue of section 105 (1) and (3) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, hereby deem it fit to establish an Investigation Unit within the ministry.

“This unit shall coordinate and form part of every investigation in Nigeria for robust investigation and successful prosecution of such cases.” He said the core function/mandate of the unit would equally involve giving advice, beforehand, to every security agency carrying out investigation on the best lawful and admissible means of such investigation for effective prosecution thereafter.

The AGF said his ministry successfully concluded a total of 296 terrorism cases within the period of 2015 and 2016, while a total of 6646 criminal cases ranging from oil theft, culpable homicide, rape armed robbery, unlawful possession of arms, murder among others were equally concluded. More so, Malami, SAN, the government had commenced the profiling of over 1,000 suspected Boko Haram members, including those that are either in custody and those whose case-files were left unprosecuted. He maintained that despite numerous challenges facing the ministry, such as prolonged and inconclusive investigation by law enforcement agencies, lack of funds to sponsor witness to court, delay in mobilsing prosecutors, delay in the production of case files to his office by law enforcement agencies, officers in the Department of Public Prosecution (DPP) were able to secure commendable convictions.

Malami said the Justice Ministry was working on securing approval of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) for the installation and implementation of a state of the art modern Virtual Automated Case Management System (V-ACMS) so as to incorporate an online up-to-date integrated biometrics prisoners’ information technology that would strengthen the operations of the federal justice sector institutions and eliminate bottlenecks in the administration of criminal justice system in the country.

He decried the high number of awaiting trial inmates in Nigeria, saying it was the major reason why the prisons are constantly overcrowded. He said the government was working on modalities to reduce the population of awaiting trial inmates in the country, adding that the committee on prerogative of mercy will consider and recommend inmates that are qualified to be granted state pardon. Besides, the AGF revealed that the judgment debt profile of the ministry stood at N113 billion as at last year, a situation he said necessitated the re-establishment of the Judgment Dept Verification Committee to assist in reducing the quantum of the dept against the Federal Government, by reaching a compromise with judgment-creditors on modalities and payment of such debt.

Meanwhile, the AGF said the government was determined to recover about $15million that was seized by the South African government under the former President Goodluck Jonathan led administration. He blamed delay in the recovery of the money on cumbersome legal process between Nigeria and South Africa.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/08/why-sponsors-of-igbo-quit-notice-were-not-arrested-agf/

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by amazingspiderma: 8:25pm On Aug 29, 2017
Damage control, too late. Who wrote this crap.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by hucienda: 8:26pm On Aug 29, 2017
This northern-controlled FG just keeps exposing their blatant bias to the world - thus indirectly pushing neutrals to Kanu's cause more and more.

178 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by Nobody: 8:34pm On Aug 29, 2017
Security implications indeed.

Are there no smart men up North that could come up with a more believable lie?

Nigerian is George Orwell's Animal Farm.Some animals are definitely more equal than others.

THE LAND OF THE RISING SUN MUST SET FORTH AT DAWN

147 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by Ohammadike: 8:36pm On Aug 29, 2017
Omo see stupidity and excuse.

May God continue blessing Nnamdi Kanu the strength and courage to fight this zoo

Useless abokis. Those idiotic things should be arrested first before kanu is touched

117 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by kenny987(f): 8:37pm On Aug 29, 2017
Oh! So there's no security implication for arresting and applying to rearrest Kanu? Stupid idiots.

133 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by Ohammadike: 8:40pm On Aug 29, 2017
kenny987:
Oh! So there's no security implication for arresting and applying to rearrest Kanu? Stupid idiots.

Even arresting murderous bloodthirsty Fulani herdsmen is security implications.

Useless lying idiots

122 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by Kazim88: 8:49pm On Aug 29, 2017
AGF giving excuses to protect Arewa Terrorists.
Nigeria is dead.

lalasticlala

87 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by richidinho(m): 8:53pm On Aug 29, 2017
I was expecting him to compare it with one event that happened during GEJ's regime, seems this one is smart

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by paBuhari(m): 8:54pm On Aug 29, 2017
Useless govt of lies and double standard.

In a nutshell, what attorney general of the zoo is saying is that, those who are violent, hausa-fulani and blood thirsty in nature are above the law, therefore cannot be arrested or brought to justice even if they commit acts of murder, while those from the south who are going about their agitations peacefully exercising their FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHTS will be arrested and dealt by their hausa-fulani security.

Let it be known to this wicked govt that any ATTEMPT to arrest Nnamdi Kanu will be the end of the ZOO!

46 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by nairavsdollars(f): 8:54pm On Aug 29, 2017
There will be serious security implications if Nnamdi Kanu too is arrested

90 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by paBuhari(m): 8:55pm On Aug 29, 2017
Ohammadike:

Even arresting murderous bloodthirsty Fulani herdsmen is security implications.

Useless lying idiots
It is no secret that fulani terrorist are enojying serious support from Buhari's govt.

56 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by Paperwhite(m): 8:59pm On Aug 29, 2017
hucienda:
This northern-controlled FG just keeps exposing their blatant bias to the world - and thus indirectly pushing neutrals to Kanu's cause more and more.
Thanks my bro.This shit people don't even think who they tell their shit to. angry They know how to arrest or maim IPOB but the stupid so called Arewa youth are untouchable.I renounce my citizenship of this shit country. sad

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by Paperwhite(m): 9:03pm On Aug 29, 2017
paBuhari:
It is no secret that fulani terrorist are enojying serious support from Buhari's govt.
That is ehen! embarassed And someone will say "one Nigeria"?

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by Paperwhite(m): 9:04pm On Aug 29, 2017
paBuhari:
Useless govt of lies and double standard.
Gbam,gbamer,gbamest

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by Paperwhite(m): 9:11pm On Aug 29, 2017
[/b]"The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami, SAN, on Tuesday, explained why the Federal Government could not arrest sponsors of the quit notice that was previously issued against Igbos residing in the northern part of the country.
Malami, SAN, said the government resisted pressure to go after leaders of the Arewa Youth Consultative Forum, after it gave due consideration to “security implications” of arresting them.
However, the AGF said the government would not hesitate to wield the big stick against anyone or group found to have engaged in any form of lawlessness in any part of the country. According to him, “Government considered the security implications on the issue. Let me state that government is alive to its responsibility and whoever is found wanting will be prosecuted. This administration is determined to provide...."[b]
Imagine a whole AG of a country talking. cry cry cry

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by paBuhari(m): 9:14pm On Aug 29, 2017
Paperwhite:
That is ehen! embarassed And someone will say "one Nigeria"?
You dey mind them. Govt of rats. grin grin

33 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by Homeboiy: 9:17pm On Aug 29, 2017
Any other thing again

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by kp3tech(m): 9:27pm On Aug 29, 2017
It's like Lalasticlala is offline...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by Leo3333: 10:52pm On Aug 29, 2017
...security implications". Just imagine!

...and these useless idiots do not consider "security implications" an issue while they channel all breath in them towards the re-arrest of Nnamdi Kanu.

This administration's actually more irresponsible than I thought.

Awon oniranu gbogbo.

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by OreMI22: 10:56pm On Aug 29, 2017
The quit notice actors were not arrested because the Attorney general, President, Army chief, Air force chief etc are ALL FULANIS who are above the law!

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by doctokwus: 11:00pm On Aug 29, 2017
But there are no security implications in rearresting Nnamdi Kanu and IPOB members?
Never understood what bigotry meant till now.
Now I can define it with my eyes closed because I have seen it live and direct!

57 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by BabaRamota1980: 11:12pm On Aug 29, 2017
guterMann:
By Ikechukwu Nnochiri & Ifeoluwa Mic-Braimoh ABUJA –

The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami, SAN, on Tuesday, explained why the Federal Government could not arrest sponsors of the quit notice that was previously issued against Igbos residing in the northern part of the country

Malami, SAN, said the government resisted pressure to go after leaders of the Arewa Youth Consultative Forum, after it gave due consideration

to “security implications” of arresting them. However, the AGF said the government would not hesitate to wield the big stick against anyone or

group found to have engaged in any form of lawlessness in any part of the country. According to him, “Government considered the security

implications on the issue. Let me state that government is alive to its responsibility and whoever is found wanting will be prosecuted. This

administration is determined to provide good governance and promote justice, peace and fairness”.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/08/why-sponsors-of-igbo-quit-notice-were-not-arrested-agf/

I dont likr Kanu one bit. If i had a shotgun I will blow a see-through on his skull, at close range. But i detest open injustice in all its appearance. These Northerners dont even attempt to say we are sorry rather they continue to dictate terms.

Na Allah go destroy alumangiri.

The same security implications that exist in North and advised against arrest of Yerima exist in every region and should be a primary deterrent against arresting that fake yellow jew in SE.

12 Likes

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by aolawale025: 11:36pm On Aug 29, 2017
Shame! Shame!!

7 Likes

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by OjukwuWarBird: 11:40pm On Aug 29, 2017
Tell that to the UN

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by morbeta(m): 11:56pm On Aug 29, 2017
And you idotic ashawo.call Lurretta Onochie is calling for his rest too.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by Smartjob1(f): 2:55am On Aug 30, 2017
This Mallam needs a new job.

If you need a new job like him, sign up now. See my signature. It is free!

4 Likes

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by Lightening: 6:03am On Aug 30, 2017
BabaRamota1980:

I dont likr Kanu one bit. If i had a shotgun I will blow a see-through on his skull, at close range. But i detest open injustice in all its appearance. These Northerners dont even attempt to say we are sorry rather they continue to dictate terms.

Na Allah go destroy alumangiri.

The same security implications that exist in North and advised against arrest of Yerima exist in every region and should be a primary deterrent against arresting that fake yellow jew in SE.

You are now struggling to hate KANU. That is an improvement over your naked hatred hitherto.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by Omeokachie: 7:26am On Aug 30, 2017
They are higher mortals than the rest.

Animal farm featuring the lion king and some rodents that are chasing him about.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by aolawale025: 8:45am On Aug 30, 2017
Government of the North for the north. One Nigeria indeed!

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 10:55am On Aug 30, 2017
An exhibition of crass stupidity and very shallow cognitive reasoning by a supposed SAN. SAN my foot. If not for politics and ethnic jingoism, where would a man like you smell SAN ? How many cases have you fought and won and how many law pamphlets, not books, did you have to your credit before you were dashed SAN ? Do you imagine that you were talking to cow-humans like you ?
Mchw.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Sponsors Of Igbo Quit Notice Were Not Arrested – AGF by AkProsper(m): 11:23am On Aug 30, 2017
as if the country is not facing security issues. . .. . . . . check my signature⏬⏬⏬

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Disquiet In PDP Over Wike’s ‘preferred Candidate’ Remarks / CBN Bullion Van Rams Into Ogun Governor’s Convoy / 9 Presidential Runners You Probably Didn’t Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.