Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,981 members, 7,799,344 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:19 PM

Self-employment Tips - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Self-employment Tips (9298 Views)

Excuse Me, Mr. Anti Self-employment Advocate! / Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! / Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Self-employment Tips by Seun(m): 1:11pm On Feb 13, 2007
Hello,

Here's a tip for those of you who can't seem to get the ideal job. The only way to get an ideal job is to create one! It's important to understand that nobody owes you a job - not me, and not even the government. You owe it to yourself to make yourself as an individual to make yourself useful to others in order to make money.

And here are some tips for those who are interested in self-employment.

- Business is about being paid to solve a problem. You need to see every problem as a potential source of profit. Instead of complaining about the many problems we have in Nigeria, you can solve them and make money.

- For every business you can't go into because of insufficient capital, there are 10 other businesses that you can go into with the little capital you have at your disposal. Those businesses are less glamorous, but more profitable!

- To maximise your chances of success, you need to play to your strengths. Of all the possible businesses, you should choose one that you are naturally good at doing. That will keep you ahead of your future competitors.

- The best customers you can have are rich people. Seek them out, solve their problems, make money more quickly. wink

- Honesty is important because no one wants to do business with a crook: No one wants to be scammed. For this reason, you need to avoid scammy "businesses" like 419, HYIP, and maybe even network marketing.

, to be continued (please feel free to add yours)

Important Download: https://www.nairaland.com/img/bootstrap.pdf

1 Like

Re: Self-employment Tips by niceuzor: 1:38pm On Feb 13, 2007
shocked Good Work Admin shocked, More greese to ur elbow

i guess people Who Are self-employed will gain alot from these tips.
Re: Self-employment Tips by saintsam(m): 1:53pm On Feb 13, 2007
I cant wait till the next stride, am learning. good work
Re: Self-employment Tips by kebab(f): 3:37pm On Feb 13, 2007
Seun, i totally agree with you. Starting out on your own can be a bit daunting and if you are not really determined, you can be easily discouraged. Nigerians believe too much in white collar jobs and being employed. It would be really nice if young people can set out to be enterpreneurs and innovators. Alll it takes is finding a need and providing solutions. and like u said, rich people are d people to target. I delivered a service for d CEO of a company and got paid 26k for d job. Meanwhile, for the same service, a banker was only willing to pay 5k. So, its all about targetting and also quality of service. I also got a job offer with starting salary of 25k. In comparism, it makes more sense to put more effort into the business rather than work my ass off for twenty days in a week for an employer. Though, I have been battling with feelings of self doubt but now, I am in the process of revamping.

2 Likes

Re: Self-employment Tips by Nobody: 5:18pm On Feb 13, 2007
Re: Self-employment Tips by justme3(m): 5:55pm On Feb 13, 2007
Its cool to be self-employed,currently in varsity and i dn't want 2 work for anyone when i m done.
Re: Self-employment Tips by bolaoni(m): 6:01pm On Feb 13, 2007
Seun,

Thanks for starting this thread once again. We can't ever have enough of it.

I saw an article on a site yesterday and decided to share it on my blog.

Titled: How to: Kiss Corporate Life Goodbye

It is a must read for those that want to be on their own.

http://naijamotivation.com/?p=35

Hope it helps someone
Re: Self-employment Tips by Liz(f): 7:49pm On Feb 13, 2007
Nice topic.  Not every business can target the rich.  I think the most important thing for a guaranteed and reasonably steady income is to target a 'NEED' and not a 'WANT'.  In an economy where cash flow can be tight even some rich people will forgo their WANTS but will always fork out for their NEEDS.

1 Like

Re: Self-employment Tips by bolaoni(m): 10:36pm On Feb 13, 2007
@liz,

I do agree with you. Everybody will pay any amount to have their needs satisfied. So if you can open your eyes to see what people need around you, then money cometh to you.

It is as simple as that!
Re: Self-employment Tips by odada(m): 10:54pm On Feb 13, 2007
@seun
thanks for posting this topic again,its a real eye opener in becoming the master of ones own fate!i just hope others can take a cue and learn from this,
[size=4pt]you're truly doing a splendid job and u can't imagine how much help u av been to lots of people!i was at nestle today to drop my written application for the management trainee programme(which i saw on nairaland)and overheard a guy telling another fellow about nairaland and all the information u can get from the website about job openings et al.apparently the guy didnt know what to apply for and whom to apply to?he just knew nestle were recruiting thumbs up mate!u wont beleive that ever since i became a registered member i have introduced alot of people to the site even my father is hooked and there is a persistant battle for his laptop(which has internet access for 24hrs)as against the desktop at home (that runs for only 9hrs a day)amongst him,myself and my sisters!everyone wants to be logged unto nairaland in "mi casa" grin grin grin[/size]
Re: Self-employment Tips by smartsoft(m): 11:01pm On Feb 13, 2007
well i take bola's advice, ppl are ready to pay millions for anything that can satisfied them no matter how you got everything done, just give them want they want and let your yes be yes and your NO be NO
Re: Self-employment Tips by ovadose(f): 8:05am On Feb 14, 2007
i would cater to a need instead of a want. There is a steadier income potential
Re: Self-employment Tips by Diplenty(m): 11:19am On Feb 14, 2007
Its great to see folks here discussing the REAL DEAL

To be on your own, there's joy in mumbers! Dont insist on owning your own business if you can get partners with funds. It makes no sense to own 100% of a N200,000 naira business when you can own 10% of a multimillion naira business. If you have a bankable idea sell it to people who dont have the time but have the funds!!!

or those with Funds but no ideas, that way its a win-win!!

Also, to survive; understand the rule of Turnover : There's fortune in serving a multitude
Re: Self-employment Tips by jydagirl(f): 11:25am On Feb 14, 2007
THUMBS UP! SEUN.
This article of yours came at the right time in my life.A time i'm considering quitting my job which has made me so unhappy and head on into business full time.White collared jobs are no longer "so white".
I feel alot of young adults like me need such motivations from people so we don't get stuck in a rut.I'm loyal to nairaland for life and i'm proud of that.
Cheers everyone.
Re: Self-employment Tips by johngee: 11:29am On Feb 14, 2007
u really do not need white collar jobs
Re: Self-employment Tips by freelance(m): 12:04pm On Feb 14, 2007
NIce one all,
I must say that its very nice starting your own business and becoming the boss. But i must confess that it is easier said than done. If you are not properly grounded in business, then better stay at ur job. You must have an a brillant idea and also be sure its a very good one indeed. Some people just hear a motivational sermon and read a book and then go and resign their jobs. That is a verywrong move and some regret it. embarassed embarassed embarassed. Business is not as easy as some people feel it is.
Make sure before you quit your job, that you build up your capital base and then pray seriously cuz as a friend says no be yam.

Wish you all the best. wink smiley

Godspeed!!!! cheesy cool

1 Like

Re: Self-employment Tips by cornel318(m): 12:40pm On Feb 14, 2007
I hve been trying, cracking my brain on one,
but i seem to be incapacitated by lack of capital, n the nature of the business.

Pls some one should give me a clue.
Re: Self-employment Tips by slimbugz(m): 12:47pm On Feb 14, 2007
Hey Man,

That was a thoughtful article but do you still believe the rich men you mentioned can help one start his or her own business?
Because am also starting soon and i have been having some challenges,
Re: Self-employment Tips by woleOba: 1:13pm On Feb 14, 2007
Seun , Nice thread we've got there.

But we need to be blunt here. I totally agree with Freelance's contribution.

- You can't just quit a job without making all neccessary plans that will strengthen your business and keep it moving.

- You can't quit ur job when u don't even have capital to start and maintain on in case of middle collapse.

- And to stay solid in every business whatsoever the bearer need to have a strong desire for what he/she is into.

- And also the bearer needs to keep thinking creatively on any areas to improve the business as well as the strategy to create traffic

- The business holder should employ few people when starting the business and the employer should have a desire for what they are into not just for the monthly pay.

- Any employed person should be happy with the job on ground because this will create an innner strength that will affect the job positively.

My last for now ,

All employers, be happy with your customers and do create a lasting relationship with them just to make them stay.

Somethings , Business holders , introduce discount to attract more customer.

, lol , TELL ME WHEN U HAVE DONE THAT SO I CAN BUY AT A LESSER PRICE

Nice Time Guys.
Re: Self-employment Tips by zabonespen(m): 3:15pm On Feb 14, 2007
angry Thats true Seun,
Here are three things that matters before one could be self employed *Technological advancement i.e developing self to meet the modern day trend. *Good INterpersonal relationship and HOnesty. * Conceptual requirement i.e Creativity.
[flash=200,200][/flash]
Re: Self-employment Tips by Seun(m): 11:31am On Feb 15, 2007
Thanks, guys, for your positive response to this. Here's another tip.

If you don't have access to a lot of capital, you need to become an expert at 'bootstrapping'.
(Bootstrapping is the art of using a small amount of capital to achieve a lot in your business.)

Click here to download the bootstrapper's bible by Seth Godin, a business guru:
https://www.nairaland.com/img/bootstrap.pdf

Now, let me try to respond to your comments:

I guess you also need the support of those that matter to you
It helps, especially when you need a little capital, but it's not compulsory. Your determination is.

Its cool to be self-employed. Currently in varsity and I don't want to work for anyone when I'm done.
Great attitude! If possible, start planning and practicing your business ideas before you graduate.

Nice topic. Not every business can target the rich.
You're right. But the richer your customers are, the better. In the same way, the bigger your market, the better. The most important thing is the total amount of money your potential customers have at their disposal.

My business targets the rich in a way - most ads you see on my websites are placed there by people living in rich countries like the US and the UK. By the time I convert the few cents they pay into naira, it's a lot!

I think the most important thing for a guaranteed and reasonably steady income is to target a 'NEED' and not a 'WANT'.
Let's face it, most of our "needs" are just important wants. For instance, do people really "need" to get married? Do people really "need" education? Will they really die if they don't have mobile phones? No!

However, I understand what you are trying to say. It's best to target the most important wants first. The most important wants are the wants that people are willing to pay for. Just listen to their pockets!

At time i'm considering quitting my job which has made me so unhappy
If the job provides opportunities for you to develop yourself, you probably shouldn't quit until you have a plan. However, since the job makes you unhappy, I guess you need to start developing a self-employment plan now!

I have been trying, cracking my brain on one,
but I seem to be incapacitated by lack of capital, and the nature of the business.
Don't give up. Send me an email with your ideas and I'll help you figure it out. Trust me, capital isn't the problem.

Finally, please make sure you read the bootstrapper's bible! www.nairaland.com/img/bootstrap.pdf
Re: Self-employment Tips by bqueen: 1:18pm On Feb 15, 2007
Hi ,
Seun i quite apreciate dis.please try and give me your email i need to know how to go abt the capital stuff and type of business .my own email addy is kennyoni2002@yahoo.com.hk
Thanks looking forward to read from u
happy day
bankie
Re: Self-employment Tips by agnesoseka: 4:00pm On Feb 15, 2007
nice one man!
Re: Self-employment Tips by fosh: 4:43pm On Feb 15, 2007
Its nice reading stuff like this on this site pls keep it up. Itgoes along way in helping ourselves. grin
Re: Self-employment Tips by bolaoni(m): 6:59pm On Feb 15, 2007
I have always told people that the most important factor is the desire

I have met people who have always used CAPITAL as an excuse
I want to let you know that Capital is NEVER a problem, there is magic
in starting small and growing BIG. There's always a time to begin and there
is a time to grow.

I am a practical person and I always love sharing my story not to show off but
to challenge others. I started my biz with just 5k shocked A web Design business for
that matter. I had no computer, no office and not even the needed money! I knew
I was on a journey and was willing to go through all the challenges and GROW.
Was it an easy journey? Not at all, but I was happy going through all the tough
times, because I understood for you to be TOUGH, you've got to pass through
TOUGH times. Pot wey go chop pepper, im yansh must HOT! cool

I am not where I am supposed to be now, but I am not where I was when I started
about 3 years ago. cool I now get invitations to speak at Internet Seminars and
will be at PH this weekend for another. I have also being opportuned to meet and
sit with some top biz people I read about on the pages of Newspapers years ago wink
Being on TV to share my knowledge and using the Internet to impact lives just by
sharing some of the lessons I learnt while working on my dreams.

I could have allowed money to be an excuse for me not to start something. If
this had been the case, I wouldn't have been where I am today and wouldn't
have an opportunity to GROW!

Jim Rohn says, "In following your dreams, it is not about what you gain but who you
become"

By not starting something NOW, you may be short-changing yourself. kiss
Re: Self-employment Tips by naijacutee(f): 7:15pm On Feb 15, 2007
To add my own little piece, I personally believe that self-employment is not a 2-minute descision thing. Once you conceive an idea and it seems appealing, one might be tempted to just borrow money and rush into it, only to ask "why?" when it all comes crashing down. I believe that most of the success of a business (this applies to many other things in life too) depends on the amount of time you spend on the drawing board. Even though you haven't got capital yet, if you believe your dream enough to visualise it, imagine you are actually running the business, find out everything about the business - good or bad, evaluate the pros and cons again and again, come up with everything that could possibly go wrong. And also what to do in the event that things go wrong. That way, you stay on top of your game. Nothing shocks you. You don't get thrown into a dilemma you didn't anticipate. I wish you all the best.
Re: Self-employment Tips by software(m): 8:00pm On Feb 15, 2007
Nice topic here o. Thumbs Up Seun.

been self employed is the best option to working under someone else. I think then, ones scope of thinking would be very high.

One needs a skill, i think dats very important. Prayers is also needed. Best of Luck
Re: Self-employment Tips by Tmoni(m): 11:36pm On Feb 15, 2007
nice one seun,

NB- sometimes, you have to pay your dues before venturing into the woods.
Re: Self-employment Tips by canachy(m): 10:40am On Feb 16, 2007
Good one Seun,

Self employement is the best thing that can happen to anyone.  You have to be sure of what you want to do. That somebody does a business successfully does not guarantee you success in the same business. It is of paramount importance that you first build your capacity as a person (ie self preparation), even if it means getting necessary training. This is important because you cannot give what you don't have.

You need capital though, but that can not stop you. Just start from anywhere and I tell you if you are good, people will pay you real big bucks just to have the value for thier money.

The best time to start is now. Get trained, draw your master plan and kick off. If you play your cards well, you must succeed

Goodluck
Re: Self-employment Tips by TerraCotta(m): 4:34pm On Feb 16, 2007
Tmoni:

sometimes, you have to pay your dues before venturing into the woods.

Great point, which I think speaks to what Freelance and Wole Oba were saying (which I agree with). I've had a freelance business since I was a teenager and I've tried a couple of times to turn it into a full-time business. You should definitely have some capital saved up as a cushion and some experience/skill in the area you want to be in. Alternately, if your family can support you if/when you have rough times, you're in luck.

I disagree with Seun on one thing though--targeting the rich is not at all synonymous with having a successful business. Wal-Mart is the largest and most profitable company in the world, but it started as a thrift store (something roughly equivalent to a market stall) in rural America about 45 years ago. It's big secret is not rich customers--it's actually less-wealthy ones who are attracted to the store's very low prices (there are issues about its corporate philosophy, but let's leave that for now).

Whatever business you're trying to get off the ground should also be something that you have a strong interest in and a passion for. You can be CEO of a company selling goods or services that you have no interest in, but the majority of successful entrepreneurs will tell you that they made their money following their passion. You should also prepare yourself for the possibility of failure, just as much as you envision how incredible it would be to succeed. No great entrepreneur is 100% successful with every idea--the ones that go bad are the ones you learn the most from.

1 Like

Re: Self-employment Tips by Seun(m): 6:07pm On Feb 16, 2007
I disagree with Seun on one thing though--targeting the rich is not at all synonymous with having a successful business <<snip>> it's actually less-wealthy ones who are attracted to the store's very low prices
It takes an enormous amount of capital to run a low-price, high-volume business.
The average person who is interested in self-employment doesn't have access to such capital, hence the advice.
It's not compulsory to target the super-rich, but it's important to target people with a lot of disposable income.
There's something lovely about not having to worry about whether your "customers" are going to pay! cheesy

All the rules are just guidelines, anyway. The most important thing is to start planning and start doing.

Whatever you need to learn, you will learn either by soliciting advice or my making mistakes, but if you follow my advice and go for a business that's not capital intensive, those mistakes will not ruin you financially.
Re: Self-employment Tips by segedoo(m): 7:52pm On Feb 16, 2007
nothing is impossible.
what we call impossible is simply something no one else has ever done.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Interested In IATA Certification! / Pharmacy As Second Degree Or Msc / Bedc Electricity Plc 2021 Graduate Trainee Programme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.