Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,245 members, 7,807,827 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:06 PM

6 Reasons Why You Should Consider Marketing Jobs - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 6 Reasons Why You Should Consider Marketing Jobs (1108 Views)

Npower: 6 Reasons Why You Were Not Paid / 3 Sectors With High Employment Rate Unemployed Graduates Should Consider / Top 7 Blue Collar Jobs Unemployed Nigerian Graduates Should Consider (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Reasons Why You Should Consider Marketing Jobs by databoy247(m): 4:16pm On Aug 30, 2017
I remembered back then, some 7 years ago when I started afresh in the career world, I had a great disdain for marketing jobs. They all have a stereotypical attribute that as a marketer, all you do is "trek" long distances under a very hot sun without a salary. In fact, I frowned heavily on the prospect of being paid on commission for my effort.

Also, I tend to pity for people who by personal decision or virtue of their situation, brand themselves as marketers. But over time, I have begun to understand why marketing jobs are so important and might be the best kind of jobs.

A young guy I know works for a real estate company as a marketer. He had nothing. He was on a basic salary of N40,000 plus commission on any deal he closes. Just 4 months into his job, he closed a real estate deal and made N4 million in commission. Before the year ended he made over N7 million in commissions.

Below are some interesting reasons why you should rethink marketing;

1. A marketer working on commission determines his/her pay. If your colleagues are going home with N50,000 monthly, as a marketer, you can go home with N300,000 depending on your extra commission earning.

2. Marketing jobs give you the opportunity to network and meet new people weekly. You get to attend functions, conferences, and basically rapport with virtually all classes of the society. A friend of mine that works in the Marketing department in a PR firm in Lagos actually confirmed the fun he has especially when he is networking.

3. You tend to climb up the career ladder quickly as a marketer. If you keep hitting and exceeding your targets, you will definitely find yourself at the very top of the food chain quicker than you can anticipate. And there are loads of perks that come with being a "head of marketing". You are valued by the company, hence, the free car, house, bonuses, free traveling expenses, etc. You can be a customer care rep in a bank or in an organization....cool. But the target driven marketers will get promoted faster before you and hopefully become your boss.

4. I appreciated marketing when I started being an entrepreneur. If I don't do marketing, I will NOT make sales. And if I don't make sales, my business will not flourish. So, if you have future hopes of becoming an entrepreneur, then learn how to do marketing now.

5. With the advent of social media and the internet, marketing has become so much more fun. You can sit on your laptop, draft a list of potential clients by searching them online through directories, do some cold calling to book appointments, go discuss your business proposal in person, convert and close. The next thing you'll see is commission payout!

6. In the harshest economies, marketers are and will always be in demand. If there are no jobs anywhere, rewrite your CV to reflect you being a marketer, you'll start getting calls for interviews.

So, stop complaining of unemployment, attend a course on marketing (especially digital marketing) and make yourself useful. There are a ton of other reasons why marketing jobs are super cool. Your contributions are welcome.

https://www./marketing-jobs-actual-reality-nwaka-osakwuni?published=t

Re: 6 Reasons Why You Should Consider Marketing Jobs by databoy247(m): 4:16pm On Aug 30, 2017
CC: Lala
Re: 6 Reasons Why You Should Consider Marketing Jobs by BlueRayDick: 4:23pm On Aug 30, 2017
grin grin grin Try and market Life insurance in Nigeria on commission basis no salary for 6 months,If your blood pressure no shoot up make I know wetin cause am.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Why You Should Consider Marketing Jobs by databoy247(m): 4:29pm On Aug 30, 2017
BlueRayDick:
grin grin grin Try and market Life insurance in Nigeria on commission basis no salary for 6 months,If your blood pressure no shoot up make I know wetin cause am.

Lol... grin

When we talk about marketing jobs, we are not talking about insurance. Our insurance industry is nothing to write home about.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why You Should Consider Marketing Jobs by Nobody: 4:35pm On Aug 30, 2017
maybe abroad but marketing in Nigeria ehnnn, I have my bad experiences.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why You Should Consider Marketing Jobs by BlueRayDick: 4:39pm On Aug 30, 2017
databoy247:

Lol... grin

When we talk about marketing jobs, we are not talking about insurance. Our insurance industry is nothing to write home about.

You are a wise man. Actually some of the points you raised are very much valid. Most marketers rise to the top real fast. In fact, most MD's I've met started as marketers and rose through the ranks because their KPI was just to bring in money which they do everyday while the technical people have to meet up with a lot of indicators.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why You Should Consider Marketing Jobs by databoy247(m): 4:40pm On Aug 30, 2017
Nigerdeltaboi:
maybe abroad but marketing in Nigeria ehnnn, I have my bad experiences.

I quite disagree. I am a resume writer and I have come across top marketers in various industries. Trust me, it pays.
Re: 6 Reasons Why You Should Consider Marketing Jobs by databoy247(m): 12:20pm On Aug 31, 2017
Re: 6 Reasons Why You Should Consider Marketing Jobs by robin11(m): 12:32pm On Aug 31, 2017

(1) (Reply)

01shawarma Is Recruiting / Apply For Western Development Company Limited Recruitment 2017 / Real Estate Hot Job!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.