Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,303 members, 7,808,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:30 AM

The Word For Today - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word For Today (30394 Views)

Lifeway Christian Center: The Word For Today! Thursday, 12/10/2017 / Lifeway Christian Centre: The Word For Today! Tuesday, 26/09/2017 / The Word For Today, Tuesday, 29th August, 2017. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:51am On Feb 12, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

SOUND FINANCIAL ADVICE 2

Monday, 12th February, 2018.

'Gather...in the good years...Otherwise this famine will destroy the land.' Genesis 41:35, 36 NLT

Joseph gave Pharaoh some sound financial advice that we would all do well to live by: 'Gather into the royal storehouses all the excess crops of the next seven years, so that there will be enough to eat when the seven years of famine come. Otherwise, disaster will surely strike' (Genesis 41:35-36 TLB). And how did Pharaoh respond? 'Joseph's suggestions were well received by Pharaoh' (Genesis 41:37 TLB).

Your future security is guaranteed if you practise these three scriptural principles: (1) Tithe. '"Bring all the tithes into the storehouse...If you do," says the Lord of Heaven's armies, "I will open the windows of Heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won't have enough room to take it in! Try it! Put me to the test!"' (Malachi 3:10 NLT). (2) Save. Discipline yourself to invest a percentage of your income in savings. Don't worry that it's a modest amount, just make it a priority! If you don't, you'll spend it on other things and never achieve your long-term goals for college, retirement or helping the work of the Lord. (3) Get out of debt. After tithing to God and saving for the future, strive to pay off all your financial obligations. Stop paying the bare minimum on your credit cards. By not repaying them in full every month, you end up paying much more than you should. Put as much as you can towards retiring outstanding debt, even if you have to stretch yourself and do without a few things for a while. In the long run, you'll be way ahead.

Soulfood: Num 34-36 Mt 13:47-58 Ps 138 Pro 4:14-17.

Credit: Grace So Amazing Foundation
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 5:27pm On Feb 13, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

SOUND FINANCIAL ADVICE 3

Tuesday, 13th February, 2018.

'The godly love to give!' Proverbs 21:26 NLT

The level of financial blessing God will entrust to you depends on three questions: (1) Are you mature enough to handle it? (2) Are you hoping to reap but unwilling to sow? (3) Are you a hoarder or a giver?

God knows we can't all give the same amount. Jesus honoured a widow for giving her last two coins, saying: 'Everyone else gave what they didn't need. But she... gave everything she had' (Mark 12:44 CEV). On the other hand, businessman Barnabas 'sold a field he owned and brought the money and put it at the apostles' feet' (Acts 4:37 NIV). The more God blesses you with, the more he holds you accountable for. Jesus said, 'Much is required from those to whom much is given' (Luke 12:48 TLB). At offering time, a pastor told his congregation to reach out and grab the wallet or purse of the person sitting in front of them. 'Now,' he said, 'open it up and give as much as you've always wanted to give but felt you couldn't afford!' The truth is, we're not all called to give equally but we're all called to sacrifice equally. That levels the playing field.

Isn't it interesting how you can go to dinner at the home of somebody who doesn't have a lot, and leave feeling like royalty because of their hospitality? That's because the essence of generosity is self-sacrifice. God entrusts financial blessing to people who aren't controlled by the love of money. How can you tell when you're controlled by the love of money? Because instead of giving when God tells you to, you withhold. Understand this: when God impresses on you to sow a seed, there's a harvest coming your way.

Soulfood: Jon 1-4 Mt 14:1-12 Ps 141 Pro 4:18-19.

Courtesy: Grace So Amazing Foundation
Re: The Word For Today by 4amorc(m): 3:48am On Feb 14, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNNH_sDsBQ

The First Temple Degree Illustrated Part 1 as given in the Lodge, Rosicrucian Order AMORC Initiation.
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 10:54am On Feb 14, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

WHAT ARE YOUR STRENGTHS

Wednesday, 14th February, 2018.

'God has given each of us the ability to do certain things well.' Romans 12:6 TLB

Paul writes: 'Just as our bodies have many parts and each...has a special function...We are many parts of one body, and we all belong to each other...God has given us different gifts for doing certain things well' (Romans 12:4-6 NLT).

Dr John Maxwell recommends that you work where you're strongest 80 per cent of the time, where you're learning 15 per cent of the time, and where you're weakest five per cent of the time.

So, what are your strengths? To find the answer to that question, you must: (1) Be secure. If you allow your insecurities to get the better of you, you'll become inflexible and resistant to change. And if you don't change you won't grow. (2) Get to know yourself. Spend time exploring your gifts, ask for feedback and receive it, and be honest about your blind spots. (3) Trust your leader. If you can't trust the person you're following, you should look for someone you can trust, or get on another team. (4) See the big picture. Your place on any team only makes sense in the context of the big picture. If your sole reason for finding your niche is personal gain, your wrong motives will rob you of the very joy, fulfilment and success you desire. (5) Rely on your experience. The only way to know you've discovered your niche is to try things, take risks, learn from your failures and successes and discover what God has gifted you to do.

Soulfood: Num 6:1-21 Mt 4:1-17 Mark 2:18-22 Luke 9:23-26.

Courtesy: Grace So Amazing Foundation.
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:38pm On Feb 15, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

THE IMPORTANCE OF SELF-DISCIPLINE

Thursday, 15th February, 2018.

'Learn to sense what is vital...and of real value.' Philippians 1:10 AMPC

To achieve greater self-discipline, you should:

(1) Start your day by doing the hard things first. And when you get sidetracked, make yourself go back and complete them. For example, make your bed, pick up your clothes and wash the dishes; don't make extra work for others. And don't start several projects at once; the feeling of 'getting something done' will help you grow in self-respect and self-discipline. (2) Make a commitment to be punctual. Tardiness is a hard habit to break. To conquer it you must be willing to call it what it often is - inconsiderate, selfish behaviour. (3) Plan ahead. Everything takes longer than you think, so don't wait until the last minute and then rush around like a chicken with its head cut off. 'Living under the gun' can give you ulcers, whereas allowing extra time is good for your health and peace of mind. (4) Accept correction from those who care about you, without sulking or retaliating. Until you're willing to take correction, you'll never be qualified to give it. The Bible says, 'Wisdom is found in those who take advice' (Proverbs 13:10 NIV), so if you're wise you'll welcome feedback and seek counsel.

Gandhi once said, 'There's always a limit to self-indulgence, but none to self-restraint.' Ask God to help you control your unruly thoughts, feelings, desires and behaviours. Identify the unmanageable areas in your life, stop making excuses, face the truth even if it hurts, refuse to feel sorry for yourself, and set a few attainable goals. In other words: 'Learn to sense what is vital...and of real value' (Philippians 1:10 AMPC).

Soulfood: Tit 1-3 Mt 14:13-21 Ps 145:1-13 Pro 4:20-22.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 10:50am On Feb 16, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

DEALING WITH DEPRESSION

Friday, 16th February, 2018.

'Your words...were my joy and my heart's delight.' Jeremiah 15:16 NIV

People in Bible times dealt with depression too. Elijah said, 'I have had enough, Lord...Take my life' (1 Kings 19:4 NIV). Job said, 'I loathe my very life' (Job 10:1 NIV). David wrote, 'My soul is downcast' (Psalm 42:6 NIV).

Now, when you're clinically depressed you should seek professional help. But the kind of depression we're talking about here is when your motivation is drained, your desire to pursue God is gone, your conversations have turned sour, you're blind to your blessings, your enthusiasm is forced, and you're in a daze regarding the future. Here are some possible causes: (1) Sin. Sin is like a stone in your shoe; you'll have no peace until you get it out. No holiday, job change, relationship change or doctor will heal it. But the blood of Jesus will cleanse it (see 1 John 1:7). (2) Greed. King Ahab's obsession with owning Naboth's vineyard made him miserable and affected his entire family (see 1 Kings 21:4). (3) Comparisons. Constantly comparing yourself to others will depress you (see 2 Corinthians 10:12). (4) Speaking negatively. 'The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences' (Proverbs 18:21 NLT). (5) Fatigue. Jesus called his disciples aside to rest. Why? Because he recognised that when fatigue walks in, faith walks out (see Mark 6:31). (6) Unforgiveness. When you refuse to forgive someone, you carry them like an albatross around your neck.

So, what's the remedy for depression? Often it starts with prayer and Bible reading. Jeremiah, who battled depression, wrote, 'When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight' (Jeremiah 15:16 NIV).

Soulfood: Heb 1-4 Mt 14:22-36 Ps 145:14-21 Pro 4:23-24.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:00am On Feb 17, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

SEVEN SECONDS 1

Saturday, 17th February, 2018.

'Let your light...shine before men.' Matthew 5:16 NKJV

Jesus said, 'Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in Heaven' (Matthew 5:16 NKJV). When you're in darkness, you see the light before you see the carrier of the light, right? The old saying, 'First impressions are lasting impressions,' is true.

One communications expert says: 'You've got just seven seconds to make the right first impression. As soon as you make your entrance, you broadcast verbal and nonverbal signals that determine how others see you. In business those crucial first seven seconds can decide whether you win that new account, or succeed in a tense negotiation. Are you confident? Comfortable? Sincere? Glad to be there? In that first seven seconds, you shower your audience with subtle "clues". And whether people realise it or not, they respond immediately to your facial expressions, gestures, stance, and energy. They react to your voice - the tone and pitch. Audiences, whether one or one hundred, instinctively size up your motives and attitudes.'

Whether you're speaking, selling, interviewing or dating, your appearance, attitude and approach make all the difference. People can tell a lot in seven seconds. They may decide they don't want to hear anything you have to say, or they may be struck by how much they're drawn to you. Henry Ward Beecher said: 'There are persons so radiant, so genial, so kind, so pleasure-bearing, that you instinctively feel in their presence that they do you good, whose coming into a room is like bringing a shining lamp there.'

Soulfood: Heb 5-8 Mt 15:1-14 Ps 149 Pro 4:25-27.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 1:41pm On Feb 18, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

SEVEN SECONDS 2

Sunday, 18th February, 2018.

'Who is wise...among you? Let them show it by...wisdom.' James 3:13 NIV

In the first seven seconds people often decide whether they want to hear what you have to say or not.

In How to Talk So People Listen, communication expert Sonya Hamlin says that of hearing and seeing, sight is the more important and powerful sense. She writes: 'We remember 85 to 90 per cent of what we see, but less than 15 per cent of what we hear. Countless numbers of people have lost sales opportunities, ruined job interviews, or been turned down for dates because their appearance didn't match someone else's expectations. If you're wise you'll ask your family and friends if you're inclined to display nonverbal cues that capture their attention and take the focus off what you're trying to communicate.' One pastor says: 'I never realised how many nonverbal mistakes I was making until I saw myself on video. Now it's my regular practice to go back and watch myself to determine not only what I said, but also how I said it. The tape doesn't lie.'

Great actors can tell a story without saying a word, simply by using facial expressions. And whether you are aware of it or not, you convey a message by the expression on your face. Even people who pride themselves on 'playing with a poker face', and on their ability to not let other people know what they're really thinking, convey an unspoken message of detachment. And that makes meaningful connection with other people well-nigh impossible. If your face is going to 'talk' - and it is - make sure you're communicating the right thing.

Soulfood: Ex 20:14 Prov 6:23-35 Matt 5:27-30 1 Cor 6:9-20.

Re: The Word For Today by Nwaforoo: 5:28pm On Feb 18, 2018
OK
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 3:47pm On Feb 20, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

HANDLING PANIC ATTACKS

Tuesday, 20th February, 2018.

'Do not be afraid of sudden fear.' Proverbs 3:25 NAS

In the Bible, panic attacks are referred to as 'sudden fear'. You can't breathe, your palms sweat, your chest gets tight and you feel weak. If you've ever experienced a panic attack, you'll recognise these symptoms.

Doctors estimate that in our stress-filled world, about a third of us experience at least one panic attack a year. If you are one of them, here are some things you can do to help yourself: (1) Breathe deeply. Panic makes you breathe in short, shallow bursts, whereas breathing deeply helps to calm and relax you. So, when you start to feel overwhelmed, stop and breathe the name of Jesus. Try it; it works! (2) Talk to yourself. Say, 'By God's grace I can handle this' (see 2 Corinthians 12:9). If you respond with more panic you'll just end up in double trouble. Allowing yourself to feel panic without reacting to it may sound difficult at first, but it helps you break the cycle and take control of your thinking. (3) Do something calming. This may be the last thing you feel like doing, because panic attacks make you instinctively think thoughts that feed your fear. So, take a minute and whisper a prayer, quote a Scripture, listen to inspirational music or talk to a friend.

And if your panic attacks continue, there's no shame in getting professional help. After all, it's God who gives doctors the skills and abilities to intervene. Here's a Scripture you should write down and keep handy: 'You can go to bed without fear...and sleep soundly. You need not be afraid of sudden disaster...for the Lord is your security' (Proverbs 3:24-26 NLT).

Soulfood: Heb 11:17-13:25 Mt 15:29-39 Ps 28 Pro 5:3-6.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:18am On Feb 26, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

INSTEAD OF WORRYING PRAY

Monday, 26th February, 2018.

'Don't worry about anything, but pray about everything.' Philippians 4:6 CEV

One Bible teacher writes: 'The pressures of our times have many of us caught in a web of the most acceptable, yet energy-draining sin in the Christian family: worry. Chances are good you woke up this morning, stepped out of bed, and before doing anything, strapped on your well-worn backpack of anxiety. You started the day not with a prayer on your mind, but loaded down by worry. What a dreadful habit! Jesus challenged his followers with the question, "Who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?" (Matthew 6:27 NAS). Worry solves nothing. It creates unrest and uneasiness and, if left unchecked, it can churn our waves of anxiety into a perfect storm of emotions. Add a little imagination and creativity, and our worst fears come to life in technicolour brilliance. The stress from worry drains our energy and preoccupies our minds, stripping us of our peace...We fret over big things and little things. Some of us have a laundry list of concerns that feeds our addiction to worry. It's a very unattractive addiction, yet we somehow manage to make a joke out of it. I've heard people say with a smile, "If I don't have something to worry about, I get worried about not having something to worry about." Anxiety has become a favourite pastime we love to hate. And worse, we're passing it on to our children. As they see the worry on our faces and hear it from our lips, we're mentoring them in the art of anxiety.'

So, what's the answer? 'Don't worry about anything, but pray about everything' (Philippians 4:6 CEV).

Soulfood: 1 Kng 10-11 Mt 18:1-9 Ps 40:9-17 Pro 6:6-8.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:13am On Feb 27, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

Tuesday, 27th February, 2018.

'A gentle answer deflects anger.' Proverbs 15:1 NLT

Even in the best of marriages arguments arise from time to time. With two people of differing temperaments, tastes and ways of thinking, how could it be otherwise?

So here are a few rules of engagement:

(1) Think before you speak. Ask yourself if fear, stress or worry may have provoked your mate's response. Is it bothering you right now because you are feeling insecure and unappreciated? Could you be misreading or exaggerating the problem? Take time to try and identify what's really happening. (2) Ask for what you need. It's ok to admit that some days you are needier than others. Dr Gary Oliver says: 'When a woman feels panicked every time her husband comes home late because her previous husband had an affair...it's ok to say, "I know it's irrational, but I'm having a panicky day." That kind of honesty strengthens a relationship.' (3) Never threaten. Threats just make your mate defensive and insecure. As a result, they can't hear what you're saying and nothing gets resolved. (4) Ditch the baggage from previous relationships. The Bible says, 'Love...never stops hoping, never gives up' (1 Corinthians 13:4-7 GWT). It's wrong to make your mate keep 'proving' themselves over and over again. Don't assume that old relationship problems are destined to keep repeating themselves. They won't if you're communicating and growing. (5) Say something nice to your mate every day. Any time you think something good about your spouse, stop and tell them. And when they reciprocate, respond graciously to what they're saying. Remember, sharp words can create wounds, but 'a gentle answer deflects anger' (Proverbs 15:1 NLT).

Soulfood: 1 Ki 12-13 Mt 18:10-20 Ps 53 Pro 6:9-11.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 10:48am On Feb 28, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

SECRETS OF SELF-CONTROL 1

Wednesday, 28th February, 2018.

'A man's temptation is due to the pull of his own inward desires.' James 1:14 PHPS

For the next few days let's look at how to develop self-control. Here's the first step: accept responsibility for your lack of self-control. Admit your problem. 'A man's temptation is due to the pull of his own inward desires, which can be enormously attractive' (James 1:14 PHPS). The main reason you do things - is because you like to! When you know something's bad for you but you still do it, it's because you want to. Sometimes we try to ignore the problem of self-control or deny it: 'What problem? I don't have a problem,' or 'It's just the way I am,' or 'Everybody else is doing it.' Sometimes we blame others: 'If I just had different parents,' or 'The devil made me do it.' As long as you waste your energy making excuses, you can't make progress. James points out that we like to take the path of least resistance, and giving in to temptation is usually the easiest course.

The starting point for developing self-control is to face what God has already said in his Word: 'Everyone who sins is a slave to sin' (John 8:34 NIV). Do you want more self-control? Then admit you have a problem, and be specific about it: 'I have this problem. This is where I need help.' You may have a problem with food, drink, drugs, words, your temper, money, exercise, sex, TV, clothes, time - all these areas need self-control.

So today get down on your knees and talk to God about the problem, believing that with his help you'll be able to solve it.

Soulfood: 1 Ki 14-15 Mt 18:21-35 Ps 58 Pro 6:12-15.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 9:45am On Mar 03, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

SECRETS OF SELF-CONTROL 4

Saturday, 3rd March, 2018.

'I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.' Philippians 4:13 NKJV

Start believing you can change. Your beliefs control your behaviour. The way you think determines the way you feel. And when your feelings become strong enough, they determine the way you act. The person who says, 'I can't do it,' and the person who says, 'I can do it,' are both right. Much of the time you set yourself up to be defeated by what you're saying. Your words reinforce either your right or wrong belief system.

Three times in First Peter, God reminds us to be clear-minded and self-controlled. Why? Because a clear mind is essential to self-control. God gave us the power to change our habits when he gave us the power to choose our thoughts. Does Romans 12 verse two tell us to be transformed by working hard or by sheer willpower? No. What are we transformed by? The renewing of the mind. When your self-control is being tested, you need to fill your mind with the promises of God. Here's one: 'When you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it' (1 Corinthians 10:13 NIV). You must believe God when he says there's 'a way out' for you.

Paul writes, 'I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me' (Philippians 4:13 NKJV). That means you can change, and you can be different. Stop setting yourself up for failure by constantly criticising yourself: 'I'm no good. I simply have no control over my life.' Nagging doesn't work - on yourself or on anyone else! Instead say, 'Everything is possible for him who believes' (Mark 9:23 NIV). 'And I believe.'

Soulfood: 1 Ki 21-22 Mt 20:1-16 Ps 66:13-20 Pro 6:23-25.

Courtesy: Grace So Amazing Foundation.
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:59am On Mar 05, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

SECRETS OF SELF-CONTROL 6

Monday, 5th March, 2018.

'Don't give the devil a chance.' Ephesians 4:27 GNT

Avoid the things that tempt you. Stay away from situations that weaken your self-control. If you do not want to be stung, stay away from bees. Plan in advance to avoid situations that you know are going to cause temptation in your life. Don't keep chocolate in the cupboard if you are trying to diet. Don't acquire credit cards if you are an impulse spender. Get rid of your access to pornography if you are struggling with it. If you are a teenager, the time to begin thinking about self-control is not when you're in the back seat of a car with someone who turns you on.

Question: what do you need to avoid? Or get rid of? Magazines? Books? DVDs? A relationship? The Bible says, 'Bad company corrupts good character' (1 Corinthians 15:33 NIV). Avoid people and situations that tempt you. You may need to change your job because a relationship there is wrong and harmful to you. That's a drastic measure, but you may need to do something that drastic in order to avoid whatever is tempting you at this particular time.

If you have lived through years of repeated failure, then it's time to get honest. And humble. It's time to pray: 'Lord, I'm not strong enough to resist this temptation by myself. Help me!' He will! 'I patiently waited, Lord, for you to hear my prayer. You listened and pulled me from a lonely pit full of mud and mire. You let me stand on a rock with my feet firm...Many will see this, and they will honour and trust you, the Lord God' (Psalm 40:1-3 CEV).

Soulfood: Rev 1-4 Mt 20:17-34 Ps 70 Pro 6:26-28.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 12:56pm On Mar 08, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

TAKE BETTER CARE OF YOUR BODY

Thursday, 8th March, 2018.

'Honour God with your body.' 1 Corinthians 6:20 NLT

Unless you get into better shape physically, you may go to Heaven sooner than you planned. The Bible says, 'Honour God with your body' (1 Corinthians 6:20 NLT).

How do you do that? (1) Change your diet. Many of us eat for the wrong reasons - like stress, boredom, fatigue, anger, depression and low self-esteem. Try to get to the root of your problem. Insufficient fruit, vegetables and fibre, and too much fast food can wreak havoc with your health. Practise self-control. 'Those who belong to Christ...have given up their old selfish feelings and...things they wanted to do' (Galatians 5:24 NCV). (2) Start exercising. The secret is to start slowly. Take the stairs instead of the lift, park your car and walk, play ball with your kids instead of watching TV. God designed your body to move, and that doesn't mean strolling from your car to your desk every morning. Exercising three times a week for thirty minutes will reduce your blood pressure and stress, and boost your sense of well-being. Come on, get with it! (3) Go to bed earlier. Pastor Tony Jenkins consulted his doctor about his wife's snoring. 'Does it really bother you that much?' the doctor asked. 'It's not just me,' Jenkins replied. 'It's bothering the whole congregation!' Seriously, you require eight hours of shut-eye. You can probably get by on less, but do you want to just 'get by'? The psalmist said, 'It is no use...to get up early and stay up late...The Lord gives sleep to those he loves' (Psalm 127:2 NCV). So, turn off the TV and the computer and turn in at a reasonable hour.

The word for you today is: take better care of your body!

Soulfood: Rev 15-18 Mt 21:33-46 Ps 136:13-26 Pro 6:32-35.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:24am On Mar 09, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

GIVE GOD YOUR BEST

Friday, 9th March, 2018.

'I insist on buying it, for I will not present burnt offerings to the Lord my God that have cost me nothing.' 2 Samuel 24:24 NLT

Instead of trusting God for victory over his enemies, David decided of his own volition to count the number of troops in his army to see how strong he was. God considered it 'a slap in the face', and a plague hit Israel that wiped out seventy thousand people. In order to stop the plague, David was told: 'Build an altar to the Lord on the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite' (2 Samuel 24:18 NLT). When Araunah realised what was happening, he offered his threshing floor and oxen to David free of charge. But David said: '"No, I insist on buying it, for I will not present burnt offerings to the Lord my God that have cost me nothing." So, David paid him fifty pieces of silver for the threshing floor and the oxen. David built an altar there to the Lord and sacrificed burnt offerings and peace offerings. And the Lord answered his prayer...and the plague on Israel was stopped' (2 Samuel 24:24-25 NLT).

The old Anglo-Saxon word for worship is worth-ship, which is the act of ascribing worth or value to a person or object. What's the point? It's this: when it comes to serving God, if it doesn't cost - it doesn't count! God knows we can't all give the same amount. But what he's asking for isn't equal giving, but equal sacrifice! The Bible says, 'Honour the Lord with your wealth and with the best part of everything' (Proverbs 3:9 NLT).

So, whether you're worshipping, serving or giving, make sure you're giving God your best.

Soulfood: Rev 19-22 Mt 22:1-14 Ps 106:1-23 Pro 7:1-2.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 10:38am On Mar 16, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

OBEDIENCE TRAINING

Friday, 16th March, 2018.

'I delight to do your will.' Psalm 40:8 NKJV

Billy Graham's wife, Ruth, wrote: 'Tonight I sit on the porch, our old German Shepherd dog lying at my feet. Thunder rumbles in the distance. As the storm nears he tears into the front yard to meet it...furiously doing battle. As it passes he returns to the porch, convinced he has driven it away. He's a German guard dog, carefully trained in search and rescue, attack and obedience. Search and rescue in these mountains can come in handy. I can't imagine an occasion on which I'd give the order to attack. But a well-trained dog can sense hostility or spot a weapon (even what resembles a weapon), in which case it's a wise person who freezes in his tracks. But it's the obedience training that gives real joy. To stop, to sit, to lie down, to go away, to search, to stay, to heel. A disobedient dog is not only a headache, he can be a liability. Obedience makes a dog a joy. Is it less so with God and his children? There are some I know who've been trained in attack. We will not mention their names - you may know a few - but they're skilled at it. Then there are those trained in search and rescue. (I put the Salvation Army in this group.) And there are those who've been trained in obedience. I think this more than anything else must give the Lord pleasure. Simple obedience; joyful, eager, unquestioning obedience. To be able to say with the psalmist, "I delight to do your will, O my God" would be the height of training for the Christian. For this is what gives God the greatest pleasure.'

Soulfood: 2 Ki 13-15 Mt 24:3-28 Ps 24 Pro 7:24-25.

Re: The Word For Today by Kingstel(m): 3:54pm On Mar 23, 2018
@Moneyfem,

Please continue the good work here.
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 1:53pm On Apr 01, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

THEORY OR TRUTH

Sunday, 1st April, 2018.

'He was raised to life to make us right with God.' Romans 4:25 NLT

The Great Houdini promised he'd come back from the dead and talk to his friends. Some actually consulted mediums to see if there was any word from beyond the grave. But there wasn't! Only one man who promised to rise from the dead kept his promise. Jesus! And he did it 'to make us right with God' (Romans 4:25 NLT).

Business transactions in Bible days were relatively uncomplicated. Once the seller laid down a price and the buyer picked it up, the deal was done. On Good Friday Jesus laid down the price, on Easter Sunday God picked it up, and your salvation was paid for. But the greatest proof of the resurrection is found in the transformed lives of people all over the world. The songwriter put it like this: 'You ask me how I know he lives? He lives within my heart!' In one of his final appearances recorded in the book of Revelation, Jesus announced: 'I am he who lives, and was dead, and, behold, I am alive forevermore...Whoever lives and believes in me shall never die' (Revelation 1:18; John 11:26 NKJV).

Today Christ stands knocking at the door of your heart, saying, 'If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in...' (Revelation 3:20 NKJV). Unless you know Christ personally as your Saviour, you're without hope in this world and the one to come. The resurrection of Christ is your only hope. Without that you have nothing to look forward to but a hole in the ground. So today repent of your sins and place your trust in the one who died and rose again for you.

Happy Easter!

Soulfood: 1 Cor 15 Mt 28:1-10 Matt 28:1-10 Luke 24:1-12.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 9:47am On Apr 02, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

LEAD YOUR CHILDREN TO CHRIST

Monday, 2nd April, 2018.

'Memorise his laws and tell them to your children over and over.' Deuteronomy 6:6-7 CEV

It's not easy being a Christian parent in a world where peer pressure feels as if it's crushing down on you at a million pounds per square inch; where values are at an all-time low and immorality at an all-time high. But with God's help you can do it!

To lead your children to Christ, do these five things: (1) Begin when they're young, and read Bible stories to them each night. Let them hear you pray for them to know Jesus personally, constantly thanking him for dying for their sins. (2) As you take them to church, explain what the various rituals and seasons (Baptism, the Lord's Supper, Easter and Christmas) represent, and why they're observed and celebrated. (3) Be sensitive to every spiritual question they ask, and take the time to answer their questions in a way they can understand. (4) Buy them Christian DVDs and cartoons that will present Bible truths on their level. (5) Trust the Holy Spirit to give you wisdom at the right time to present the Gospel to them, and pray for their salvation continuously. On one occasion D.L. Moody reported 'two and one-half conversions' at a service he conducted. Someone said, 'I suppose you mean two adults and one child.' 'No,' Mr Moody replied. 'I mean two children and one adult. The children can give their whole lives to God, but an adult has only half a life left to give.'

And remember, the things we learn best are the things we hear most. So: 'Memorise his laws and tell them to your children over and over' (Deuteronomy 6:6-7 CEV).

Soulfood: Jer 14-17 Mt 28:11-15 Ps 69:1-18 Pro 8:27-29.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 5:55pm On Apr 03, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT

Tuesday, 3rd April, 2018.

'He has created us anew...so we can do the good things he planned for us.' Ephesians 2:10 NLT

The Bible says God 'created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago' (Ephesians 2:10 NLT). These are devastating times. A billion people are hungry, millions are trafficked in slavery and pandemic diseases are gouging entire nations. Each year nearly two million children are exploited in the global sex trade. In the few minutes it took you to read today's devotional, almost ninety children died of preventable diseases. More than half of all Africans don't have access to modern health facilities. As a result, ten million die each year from diarrhoea, acute respiratory illness, malaria and measles. And many of those deaths could be prevented by one injection.

You ask, 'What can I do about it?' God answers prayer, so you can pray for those who are suffering. You can give, whether it's a lot or a little. And you can volunteer. You're surrounded by great causes in need of people. And here's why you should get involved: your life is racing by, and if you aren't careful, one day you'll look up and your one shot at life will have passed you by. Some people don't concern themselves with such thoughts. They grind through their days without lifting their eyes to look. They live and die and never ask why. If you want your life to matter, live it in such a way that the world will be glad you did.

You were created and redeemed to 'do the good things he planned for [you] long ago'. And when you stand before God, he will ask you how well you carried out your assignment, and reward you accordingly.

Soulfood: Jer 18-21 Mt 28:16-20 Ps 69:19-36 Pro 8:30-31.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 2:52pm On Apr 04, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

'HERE AM I SEND ME'

Wednesday, 4th April, 2018.

'I said, "Here am I. Send me!"' Isaiah 6:8 NIV

Isaiah writes, 'Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" He said, "Go...!"' (Isaiah 6:8-9 NIV). In the preceding Scriptures Isaiah was making all sorts of excuses and telling God why he wasn't qualified to do the job. But in God's Kingdom, calling trumps credentials every time! And the litmus test isn't experience or expertise, it's availability and teachability.

If you are willing to go when God gives you the green light, he will take you to inaccessible places and do impossible things. Abraham, Jacob, Joseph, Esther, Moses, Samuel, David and Isaiah all have one thing in common. They all said, 'Here am I.' Isn't it ironic that we spend so much time and energy trying to figure out how to get to where God wants us to go, when all we have to do is simply say, 'Here am I'?

It's God's job to get us to where he wants us to go; our job is to make ourselves available. Like a doctor on call or a police officer on duty or a firefighter on shift, it's our readiness to respond that God is looking for. Sometimes it's a simple prompting to go out of our way and love our next-door neighbour. Sometimes it's a calling to move halfway around the world. But it always starts with the little three-word prayer of availability: 'Here am I.' That's what Moses said at the burning bush. That's what Caleb said when he finally set foot in the Promised Land. And that's what God wants you to say today.

Soulfood: Jer 22-24 Mk 1:1-8 Ps 6 Pro 8:32-33.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 2:19pm On Apr 05, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

CHOSEN AND APPOINTED BY GOD 1

Thursday, 5th April, 2018.

'I chose you and appointed you.' John 15:16 NKJV

Jesus said, 'You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain' (John 15:16 NKJV).

How you begin a relationship is important. All parties need to feel secure in order for it to go well. For example, when you're invited to somebody's home for dinner, it's reasonable to expect that they'll fulfil certain social obligations. You shouldn't have to wonder if you're welcome, or if there'll be enough food to go around, or if there's a place at the table for you. Those are things you might be concerned about if you stopped by uninvited. Likewise, knowing you've been 'chosen and appointed' by God gives you confidence. It means you're accepted; you don't have to campaign to get elected. If you think walking to a church altar to commit your life to Christ means you chose God, think again!

God chose you for two reasons: to bless you, and to make you a blessing to others (see Genesis 12:2). But in the beginning not all his blessings may be things you rejoice about. The Bible speaks of blessings 'you won't have room enough to receive' (see Malachi 3:10). Sometimes God's blessings are so overwhelming that when he starts pouring them out you think, 'I'm not sure I can handle this.' And you'd be right - if you had been the one who initiated the relationship! But you didn't choose God, he chose you. And whomever he calls, he equips. All you need to do is be open and responsive. 'Give yourselves completely...be tools in the hands of God, to be used for his good purposes' (Romans 6:13 TLB).

Soulfood: Jer 25-27 Mk 1:9-15 Ps 31 Pro 8:34-36.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 9:03am On Apr 06, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

CHOSEN AND APPOINTED BY GOD 2

Friday, 6th April, 2018.

'So that he could adopt us as his very own children.' Galatians 4:5 NLT

The word 'appointed' means God has scheduled certain things to take place in your life at certain seasons. Sometimes people have to make lifestyle adjustments to accommodate an unexpected pregnancy - but nobody adopts a child by accident. Think: knowing in advance about all your weaknesses, God chose you anyway. 'So that he could adopt us as his very own children... God has made you his heir' (Galatians 4:5-7 NLT).

You never have to wonder whether it's ok to approach your heavenly Father because he's always ready to welcome you. Your seat is reserved at the table. 'You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies' (Psalm 23:5 NIV). That means obstacles and opposition can't rob you of God's blessing. Being 'chosen and appointed' is like having a platinum credit card: you get preferential treatment! But that doesn't give you licence to live however you please. Some of us are like the little boy who prayed, 'Lord, make me a good boy. But if you can't, don't worry - I'm having a great time the way I am!' No, 'the Lord disciplines those he loves, and...accepts as a son' (Hebrews 12:6 NIV). And God's correction isn't rejection, it's proof of his love!

You're not chosen and appointed based on your race, virtues, gifts, talents, looks and intelligence. God chose you because he loves you and has a special plan for your life. And the best part is, he's going to strengthen and equip you to fulfil it. 'He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion' (Philippians 1:6 NIV).

Soulfood: Jer 28-30 Mk 1:16-28 Ps 72:1-11 Pro 9:1-6.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 4:47pm On Apr 07, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

CHOSEN AND APPOINTED BY GOD 3

Saturday, 7th April, 2018.

'I will arise and go to my father.' Luke 15:18 KJV

Once you grasp the fact that God has 'chosen and appointed' you to accomplish certain things, many of your unanswered questions will begin to make sense. Like why you see things differently from others, or feel compelled to move on while they're happy to stay where they are.

Paul said, 'God chose us to be...in union with Christ...based on what he had decided from the very beginning' (Ephesians 1:11 GNT). You've been handpicked and designed for the job! Why? Because God has certain things he wants to do through you. It's the reason you've made it this far. It's why you keep bouncing back each time Satan tries to destroy you. Here are two reasons you need to grasp this truth: (1) If you think God chose you because you're a great prayer warrior, or read your Bible for hours on end, or you're of sterling character, the minute you let up or fail the devil will pounce and tell you you're no longer accepted by God. (2) Knowing your status before God enables you to say, 'Even though I struggle and stumble and sometimes don't have it all together, I can go to God at any time because he chose me.' That's powerful! It's information the devil doesn't want you to have because it will change your thinking, your outlook and your confidence level. Even though he crashed and burned and ended up smelling like the pigs he fed, the Prodigal Son could say, 'I will arise and go to my father' (Luke 15:18 NKJV).

Rejoice, God is still your 'Father' even though you've messed up. Repent, return, recommit - you're 'chosen and appointed.'

Soulfood: Jer 31-32 Mk1:29-34 Ps 72:12-20 Pro 9:7-9.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:37am On Apr 11, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

PRAY FOR GOD'S FAVOUR

Wednesday, 11th April, 2018.

'You bless the righteous...with your favour.' Psalm 5:12 NIV

When you ask someone for a favour, you're generally asking for something they don't owe you. The Bible says of God: 'You bless the righteous; you surround them with your favour' (Psalm 5:12 NIV). This word 'righteous' doesn't mean flawless, otherwise none of us would qualify! It means to be clothed in 'the righteousness of God', thereby making us acceptable before God and qualifying us for his favour (see 2 Corinthians 5:21). And that's a truth you need to grasp and hold on to! Why? Because when you have God's favour, people start favouring you too - often for reasons they themselves can't explain!

The favour of God made it possible for people in the Bible who otherwise wouldn't have amounted to much, to do great things. God called a teenager named Esther to save the Jewish people. So she stepped out in faith, approached the king uninvited, even though it violated protocol, and 'obtained favour in his sight' (Esther 5:2 AMPC). God made a way for her to do the job he'd given her. Without the favour of God, Ruth, a Gentile, wouldn't have been accepted by the Jews. But because God had a plan for her life and her heart was open to him, she ended up marrying Boaz, 'a man of great wealth' (Ruth 2:1 NKJV). And from that union descended King David and, ultimately, our blessed Lord Jesus. What favour!

The Bible says, 'A good man will obtain favour from the Lord' (Proverbs 12:2 NAS). And a single moment of God's favour will do more for you than a lifetime of striving. So pray for the favour of God today - and start looking for it!

Soulfood: Jer 41-44 Mk 2:1-12 Ps 25:8-15 Pro 10:1-3.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:18am On Apr 14, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

SEEK TO GLORIFY GOD 1

Saturday, 14th April, 2018.

'That the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you.' 2 Thessalonians 1:12 NIV

Bach composed 256 cantatas. Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring may be his most famous. Nearly four centuries later, it's still one of the most popular soundtracks as the bride walks down the aisle to meet her groom. The reason his music touches your soul is because it came from his soul. But did you know his cantatas didn't originate as music, and that they were prayers before they were songs? Before he started scoring a sheet of music he would scrawl JJ - Jesu, Juya - at the very top. It means 'Jesus, help me.' Then at the bottom of every composition he inscribed three letters: SDG. They stand for Soli Deo Gloria - 'to the glory of God alone'. His life was a unique translation of that singular motive.

So is yours. No one can glorify God like you, or for you, because your life is an original score. Soli Deo Gloria is living for an audience of one; it's doing the right thing for the right reason. It's living for the applause of the nail-scarred hands. It's declaring that Jesus Christ is your all in all. Just Jesus. Nothing more, nothing less, nothing else.

Paul bottom-lines it: 'We constantly pray for you, that our God may count you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may fulfil every good purpose of yours and every act prompted by your faith. We pray this so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God' (2 Thessalonians 1:11-12 NIV).

Soulfood: Jer 51-52 Mk 2:23-28 Ps 50:16-23 Pro 10:11-13.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:04am On Apr 16, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

SEEK TO GLORIFY GOD 3

Monday, 16th April, 2018.

'Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.' 1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV

There are two 'whatever' verses in Scripture. Both include the phrase 'whatever you do'. (1) 'Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men' (Colossians 3:23 NIV). Your goal in life should be to love what you work at, and work at what you love. But that isn't reality at every stage of life. Sometimes you're called to do a good job for a not-so-good company, boss or salary. Thank God you have a job that supplies your needs; there are unemployed people who would switch places with you. (2) 'Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God' (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV). How do you eat and drink for the glory of God? Paul is using our daily rituals to make an all-encompassing point. Even the most mundane of activities is absolutely miraculous. You take approximately twenty-three thousand breaths every day, but when was the last time you thanked God for one of them? We tend to thank God for things that take our breath away. And that's fine. But maybe we should thank him for every other breath too!

The purpose driven life is described in these words from the Westminster Shorter Catechism: 'Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever.' It can't be said any simpler, or any better. We exist for one reason and one reason alone: to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever. And you're called to do that in whatever circumstance you find yourself. Any way. Anywhere. Any how.

Soulfood: Joel 1-3 Mk 3:1-6 Ps 56 Pro 10:14-16.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 2:34pm On Apr 22, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

SHOW THEM GOD'S LOVE

Sunday, 22nd April, 2018.

'Do you see this woman?' Luke 7:44 NKJV

Luke writes: 'Behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at the table in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster flask of fragrant oil, and stood at his feet behind him weeping; and she began to wash his feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head; and she kissed his feet and anointed them with the fragrant oil. Now when the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he spoke to himself, saying, "This man, if he were a prophet, would know who and what manner of woman this is who is touching him, for she is a sinner"' (Luke 7:37-39 NKJV).

This scene took place in the house of Simon, a religious leader who was more concerned about 'right and wrong' than he was about hurting people. He may have been theologically correct, but he lacked compassion. And Jesus confronted him about it! 'He turned to the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman"' (Luke 7:44 NKJV). Simon saw her as a sinner and a loser. But not Jesus. He responded to the gift she brought and to the heart of love behind it. In determining her future potential to God's Kingdom, he didn't consult her sordid past or even refer to it. He saw her tears, understood her need, and shocked the religious crowd that day by saying, 'Your sins are forgiven' (Luke 7:48 NKJV).

Be careful: when you've been in church for a while and forgotten what it's like to be on the outside, you can become hard-hearted and fail to show the love of God to those who need it.

Soulfood: Gal 5:22 2 Pet 3:3-15 Matt 5:39 1 Sam 25:1-42.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 1:03pm On Apr 27, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

DON'T BE A SLUGGARD 4

Friday, 27th April, 2018.

'I went by the field of the lazy man.' Proverbs 24:30 NKJV

It is better to be short-handed than to hire a sluggard; better to have nobody than a lazy body. Evidently Solomon had suffered through a few sluggards on his payroll: 'As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is the lazy man' (Proverbs 10:26 NKJV). You know how irritating vinegar is when it's taken straight, or how aggravating smoke is when it gets in your eyes! That's how irritating a lazy person is to the one who hires him. Whatever he does will take twice as long to finish, and will either have to be done over or thrown out - at twice the cost. His presence on the job is worse than his absence. He wastes his own resources and everybody else's.

A tragic picture is painted in Proverbs 24:30-31 (NKJV): 'I went by the field of the lazy man, and by the vineyard of the man devoid of understanding; and there it was, all overgrown with thorns; its surface was covered with nettles; its stone wall was broken down.' Now let's be clear here: we must show compassion towards those who are down and out for legitimate reasons. But they need more than a handout; they need a hand up! They need more than food and clothes; they need purpose, dignity and self-worth. And that's what God wants us to give them.

Abraham Lincoln wasn't great because he was born in a log cabin; he was great because he got out of it. Now, the chances are you won't end up in the White House, but unless you want to end up in the poorhouse, don't be a sluggard!

Soulfood: Acts 20-21 Mk 5:1-10 Ps 144:1-8 Pro 11:10-11.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:26am On May 01, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

JABEZ 1

Tuesday, 1st May, 2018.

'And Jabez called on the God of Israel.' 1 Chronicles 4:10 NKJV

In the book of First Chronicles the Bible tells us about a man named Jabez. The first nine chapters consist of genealogies, listing more than six hundred names. And right there in the middle of all those names, God singles out one man for special recognition, and his name is Jabez. There are only two verses in the entire Bible about this man, yet he's given honourable mention above the six hundred other people mentioned in the chapter.

Why did God single him out? What did Jabez do that caused his name to be preserved for over four thousand years? What made him above average? For the next few days, let's see what we can learn about him. 'Now Jabez was more honourable than his brothers' (1 Chronicles 4:9 NKJV). So, what set him apart? He dared to ask and believe God for great things: 'Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, "Oh, that you would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that your hand would be with me, and that you would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!" So God granted him what he requested' (1 Chronicles 4:10 NKJV).

God wants you to ask him for great things! He told Jeremiah, 'Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know' (Jeremiah 33:3 NIV). Paul tells us that God 'is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us' (Ephesians 3:20 NIV). You can't out-ask or out-dream God, so start asking him for what you want - and believe he will give it to you!

Happy New Month!

Soulfood: Acts 27-28 Mk 5:31-43 Ps 94:12-23 Pro 11:16-18.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Father Mbaka Visits Woman Who Gave Birth To Quadruplets, Pays N1.5M Bill / I Hear The Voice Of The Trumpet About To Sound / Righteousness Exalts A Nation: One Thing Nigeria Could Learn From A Cat (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 205
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.