Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:36 PM

What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? (30616 Views)

Izzi-Ezaa-Mgbo-Ikwo dialect cluster / Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning / How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by fratermathy(m): 12:07pm On Aug 31, 2017
We can sometimes bear weird, awkward or outright funny names. These types of names are not unique to any group in the world as every ethnicity has its own share of them. Even some English names are funny and awkward. I've seen my own fair share of some of these types of names across various Nigerian ethnic groups. Some are first names but most are surnames. Let's have some fun and list some of these names we have come across or heard of. If your name happens to turn up, please don't take it personally. This is just for fun so when you see yours, just return the favour and post another name that fits into what we are looking for cheesy.

So to all now, what are some of the most awkward, weirdest or outright funny names you've come across or heard of in your language/dialect? Please translate to English as you list them.

Let me start by mentioning some in Urhobo language :
1. Oronimighwu: My community wants me to die
2. Idjigherekpeki: Bicycle went to market
3. Ogbajiriemu: Strong man still eats food
4. Omitimidaka: Cassava girl
5. Ukpubeku: Big Bone

Lalasticlala and Seun: What are some of the funny names you've come across in your dialect/language?

11 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by HungerBAD: 12:08pm On Aug 31, 2017
Jesukristikwiifatherrrrr

(Jesus Christ no dey Kill Reverend father)

28 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by fratermathy(m): 12:13pm On Aug 31, 2017
Other funny Urhobo names courtesy of Best Oghenero Okpako:

(1) Erarhoghwa: Bad load
(2) Orukpeshekekodioghwere: Who is blessed by the year becomes a successful farmer
(3) Akobe or Agbako: Trap
(4) Enyabevwe: I'm tired of walking/movement
(5) Irimiatakanye: What am I meant to tell them?
(6) Eghwrudjakpor: Life retain me
(7) Odo: Maggot
(8.) Obvie: Slave
(9) Ekpobadarho: Respite comes outside home
(10) Obadaseranye: Outsiders are their favourites
(11) Ikwekun: Dirt or dirty
(12) Inaya or Ofian: Lie
(13) Igbigbije: Send him/her away with threats
(14) Ubeku: Bone
(15) Egwhubare: I'm tired of dying
(16) Ughwujovwo: Death has relented

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by fratermathy(m): 12:14pm On Aug 31, 2017
HungerBAD:
Jesukristikwiifatherrrrr (Jesus Christ no dey Kill Reverend father)

LoL. Epic grin grin grin grin

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by fratermathy(m): 12:17pm On Aug 31, 2017
More Urhobo funny names, courtesy of Sunday Disowe:

1. Diemiruaye: What have I done to them?
2. Iwregrebunese: Enemies are in majority than friends.
3. Akpobevwe: I am tired of life.
4. Akpoguonomehwe: Life wants me dead.
5. Ugwhuveta: Death goes with many talks.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by fratermathy(m): 12:24pm On Aug 31, 2017
Funny Urhobo names, courtesy of Lydia Idiakelehor:

1. Osuediwigho: Palm tapper has money.
2. Oberokpawemu: Palm wine tapper has food.
3. Etakibrebu: Talk too much.
4. Otarakpobunor: This world talks too much.
5. Emetejevwe: I like girls.
6. Dieyekerayefiyo: What do they count them for?
7. Okpevu: Big belly
8. Erakpoweri: Those who like life.
9. Ivoturhere: Election is finished.
10. Ejimiyerome: Allow me to live my own.

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:27pm On Aug 31, 2017
This thread will be interesting

2 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Aug 31, 2017
Yoruba
arigbabuwo lukuluku
the names jst sounds funny

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by fratermathy(m): 12:29pm On Aug 31, 2017
drunkcow:
Yoruba

arigbabuwo
lukuluku

the names jst sounds funny

Yes. It does sound funny grin grin grin grin. What does it mean?

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 12:33pm On Aug 31, 2017
Lols
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by fratermathy(m): 12:34pm On Aug 31, 2017
Also in Urhobo, courtesy of Evuiroro Tega:

Ogberejeko: Poor people are also in Lagos grin grin grin.

Onojemomo: Who doesn't borrow?

Eghrebayere: Are they tired of keeping malice?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Aug 31, 2017
smiley
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by kingxsamz(m): 12:48pm On Aug 31, 2017
MMERIBEKINI HILARION ....
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Efewestern: 1:26pm On Aug 31, 2017
ephoto - picture
Edeki - Market day
Emuejor - For meant for the gods
Orkrekre - Short person (I don't know o, but I find this name funny)
Emu - Food
Buluku - Skirt (the type our granny wears) (I still remember one girl bearing this name in my primary school, grin Good old days)

make I pause here.

onuwaje might add more weird names to the list.

7 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by fratermathy(m): 1:54pm On Aug 31, 2017
Efewestern:
ephoto - picture
Edeki - Market day
Emuejor - For meant for the gods
Orkrekre - Short person (I don't know o, but I find this name funny)
Emu - Food
Buluku - Skirt (the type our granny wears) (I still remember one girl bearing this name in my primary school, grin Good old days)

make I pause here.

onuwaje might add more weird names to the list.

I had a course mate whose name was Emu. I con tire for the matter sef. Anytime I see her na food I dey think of grin grin grin grin.

Remembered another awkward name now:

Ahwinahwi : Black person cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Sanchez01: 2:01pm On Aug 31, 2017
HungerBAD:
Jesukristikwiifatherrrrr (Jesus Christ no dey Kill Reverend father)
grin grin grin grin

I'm in pieces! This looks like an Urhobo name.

4 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by fratermathy(m): 2:10pm On Aug 31, 2017
Sanchez01:

grin grin grin grin

I'm in pieces! This looks like an Urhobo name.

Its either Edo or Urhobo, no doubts about that.

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Sanchez01: 2:15pm On Aug 31, 2017
Etymology

The names are actually funny but proverbial. Urhobos are quite petty and often tend to carefully record hurts done against them. Often times, they become bitter to the point that the child who comes into the family at the time would be given a name that best describes the scenario at the time.

E.g;
Ogberejeko: Poor people are also in Lagos

A possible scenario around a name like this would be the case of a family a bitter family whose communal friend or whoever moves to Lagos for greener pastures and in turn did not do well as gossipped or hoped. The revelation comes to light when he or she is visited and sadly, turns out he or she is nowhere near those living in the village, standard-of-living wise.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Sanchez01: 2:17pm On Aug 31, 2017
fratermathy:

I see... Funny name though.
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Efewestern: 2:18pm On Aug 31, 2017
fratermathy:

I had a course mate whose name was Emu. I con tire for the matter sef. Anytime I see her na food I dey think of grin grin grin grin.

Remembered another awkward name now:

Ahwinahwi : Black person cheesy

Black person = Obiebi. grin

I really don't know how they come up with such names.

cc:

lalasticlala
seun
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Efewestern: 2:20pm On Aug 31, 2017
fratermathy:

that name has no meaning in urhobo.
Maybe it's esan
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by fratermathy(m): 2:39pm On Aug 31, 2017
Sanchez01:
Etymology

The names are actually funny but proverbial. Urhobos are quite petty and often tend to carefully record hurts done against them. Often times, they become bitter to the point that the child who comes into the family at the time would be given a name that best describes the scenario at the time.

E.g;
Ogberejeko: Poor people are also in Lagos

A possible scenario around a name like this would be the case of a family a bitter family whose communal friend or whoever moves to Lagos for greener pastures and in turn did not do well as gossipped or hoped. The revelation comes to light when he or she is visited and sadly, turns out he or she is nowhere near those living in the village, standard-of-living wise.

The explanation makes sense but have you tried to understand what possible reason would make a parent name his/her child: "Idjigherekpeki" (Bicycle went to market). That doesn't seem to make sense at all...

Another one is Akpowowo (Life is Ugly?)
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by fratermathy(m): 2:40pm On Aug 31, 2017
Efewestern:

Black person = Obiebi. grin

I really don't know how they come up with such names.

cc:

lalasticlala
seun

I have a friend who bears Ubiebi as surname now sef. Wonderful Urhobo names! cheesy
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by RedboneSmith(m): 2:42pm On Aug 31, 2017
Efewestern:

Maybe it's esan

More likely the poster is just pulling you people's legs.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by HungerBAD: 2:59pm On Aug 31, 2017
Efewestern:

Maybe it's esan

Its actually Urhobo.

Since you understand Urhobo very well. Say it in Urhobo that Jesus Christ dont kill father(Reverend Father) and tell me how what i wrote is wrong.

Truth is,you have not heard all names in this life.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Aug 31, 2017
fratermathy:
CC:
Efewestern
Sanchez01
Onosprince
Oloripapa
Igbodefender
AkinPhysicist
Omenkalives
Tonyebarcanista
Izonpekin
Hopefullandlord
HopeAtHand
Halima
NtoAkwaIbom
TSOM
Here is one Igbo praise name/title that is quite out of the ordinary:
Agwoturumbe, meaning, 'The snake that stings the tortoise' (a mean feat, when you consider the fact that most of the tortoise's body is covered with protective shells.)

A man with such a praise name may have achieved an 'impossible feat'.

5 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Sanchez01: 3:15pm On Aug 31, 2017
fratermathy:

The explanation makes sense but have you tried to understand what possible reason would make a parent name his/her child: "Idjigherekpeki" (Bicycle went to market). That doesn't seem to make sense at all...

Another one is Akpowowo (Life is Ugly?)
Idjigherekpeki doesn't really make sense. Akpowowo does, though. It could be a case of a family who experienced and endured harsh difficulties.

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Aug 31, 2017
Otofe: praise name given to a married Anioma (Delta) Igbo woman that means 'One who cooks soup (ofe)'.

3 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by RedboneSmith(m): 4:11pm On Aug 31, 2017
Tabansi is an Igbo name that literarily means Keep Eating Sh!t. But maybe it has a deeper meaning that isn't apparent to me.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by RedboneSmith(m): 4:15pm On Aug 31, 2017
Another strange name I have encountered in Oshimili (Delta State) is Njokanma -Evil is Better. I am also hoping this one too has a deeper meaning that eludes me.

6 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Efewestern: 4:19pm On Aug 31, 2017
HungerBAD:

Its actually Urhobo.

Since you understand Urhobo very well. Say it in Urhobo that Jesus Christ dont kill father(Reverend Father) and tell me how what i wrote is wrong.

Truth is,you have not heard all names in this life.

Jesuchristioke'kwe'owaran ,this is the best best translation I can give to that name.

yes no doubt I haven't heard of all the name in this life.

grin
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by fratermathy(m): 4:44pm On Aug 31, 2017
Efewestern:

Jesuchristioke'kwe'owaran ,this is the best best translation I can give to that name.

yes no doubt I haven't heard of all the name in this life.

grin

I think it is Urhobo but he didn't spell it well.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

6 Undisputed Facts That Prove "Homosexuality" Is Demonic Possession / Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi With His Twin Girls (Photo) / 5 Unwritten Cultural Rules Of The Yorubas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.