Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,768 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:33 PM

What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? (30613 Views)

Izzi-Ezaa-Mgbo-Ikwo dialect cluster / Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning / How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by onuwaje(m): 7:27am On Sep 01, 2017
Amunike wat does it mean

Ibo people pls help
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by horchukoh(m): 7:31am On Sep 01, 2017
rhektor:

Orímóògùnjẹ́ = it is the head that made charm to be potent (literal meaning)
Ori which is always interpreted head could also mean the soul or innerman, going with this one can say Orímóògùnjẹ́ mean the potency of charm lies in the hand of Ori (head/innerman)
Ashiyanbi? I don't know the meaning of this for now
thanks I used to believe orimoogunje literally means head eats charm now I know the meaning.As for ashiyanbi,have a guy in secondary school then that bears this as his surname,if am to translate it from a lame man view it means we gave birth to the wrong person not so sure now can someone confirm this.
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Ten06(m): 7:33am On Sep 01, 2017
Ewhrudjakpo — Die hard
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by olaitoro(m): 7:34am On Sep 01, 2017
rhektor:

No sir, it is not from an English word in Yoruba we have variant of this word.
Ogagun the master of war
What if I tell you that Oga is a variant of Ogalanya an Igbo word meaning rich.
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by olaitoro(m): 7:37am On Sep 01, 2017
onuwaje:
Amunike wat does it mean

Ibo people pls help
Amuneke and not amunike, it means it is the Pen.is that creates, literally

grin

Igbos understand the importance of that male organ.

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by tete7000(m): 7:39am On Sep 01, 2017
YoungBrain:
mosebolatan
(I am not yoruba but this weird "I don do Bola finish" was my interpretation)

It means "I assumed ola(wealth) has finished". Nothing funny really about the name. Probably things were going down for the family until they had the child and all took upward turn.
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by onuwaje(m): 7:39am On Sep 01, 2017
Ten06:
Ewhrudjakpo — Die hard
My cousin name lol

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by onuwaje(m): 7:40am On Sep 01, 2017
olaitoro:

Amuneke and not amunike, it means it is the Pen.is that creates, literally

grin

Igbos understand the importance of that male organ.
Don't mess with it lol
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by horciglowri(f): 7:44am On Sep 01, 2017
Ooh yea
Thank you

[quote author=femi4 post=60019890][/quote]
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by tete7000(m): 7:46am On Sep 01, 2017
phemyhollar:
Yoruba - Esubiyi
English - the devil conceived this one I.e gave birth to.

In Yoruba traditional religion, esu is a deity like sango or orunmila. A cunny deity worshipped by some families. It's Christianity that felt his personality resembles that of Lucifer, the devil and adopted his name for him. It's the families that worship the esu deity that give their children names like esubiyi. It's not different from saying sangobiyi or ifabiyi.

2 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by fratermathy(m): 8:16am On Sep 01, 2017
@Onuwaje: Itsekiri names rugged too o. Shuo!
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Phut(f): 8:19am On Sep 01, 2017
rhektor:

Really? Oga means master in Yoruba language
Yes, really!
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by hapime(f): 8:19am On Sep 01, 2017
Kogberegbe-nonsense
Yoruba �
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 8:36am On Sep 01, 2017
Phut:

You got it wrong. The name is Odo- Ogalanya (one who is pulling in the wealth i.e roping in the wealth). Ogalanya by itself means a rich man/boss, from which the slang 'Oga' emanates
it's actually udó, the verb phrase meaning to draw, which can be a noun phrase representing rope. udó(to draw [out]) idó(drawing [out]) -continuos tense
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by RedboneSmith(m): 8:41am On Sep 01, 2017
Dhugal:

Tabansi means Keep enduring,haba.
How did you come up with that nonsense you wrote?
It's short form,Tansi,is more widely known now

Calm down, oga. I did add a caveat when I said it probably has a different meaning that eludes me. Others have already pointed out the actual meaning to me without being combative about it.

And Tabansi does sound like what I said, especially to other Igbos from outside the Aguleri area where the name appears to be from. The first person who interpreted the name like that to my hearing was actually Igbo, and every Igbo person in the room laughed about it. Calm down.

3 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by MultiCEO1: 8:49am On Sep 01, 2017
RedboneSmith:
Tabansi is an Igbo name that literarily means Keep Eating Sh!t. But maybe it has a deeper meaning that isn't apparent to me.

nsi= poison
nshi, nsii=shit
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by onuwaje(m): 9:15am On Sep 01, 2017
fratermathy:
@Onuwaje: Itsekiri names rugged too o. Shuo!

Relax more de come
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by onuwaje(m): 9:19am On Sep 01, 2017
Egoyonmi

Punna sweet me

One nickname of one bros like dat
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by olowobaba10: 9:25am On Sep 01, 2017
JUST SHUT UP IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE MEANING OF THE NAME , IT MEANS ENDURE OR PERSEVERE
RedboneSmith:
Tabansi is an Igbo name that literarily means Keep Eating Sh!t. But maybe it has a deeper meaning that isn't apparent to me.
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Efewestern: 9:26am On Sep 01, 2017
onuwaje:
Egoyonmi
Punna fit me

One nickname of one bros like dat
this one sweet me. grin
The guy must be a real G

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by onuwaje(m): 9:33am On Sep 01, 2017
Efewestern:

this one sweet me. grin

The guy must be a real G

Oghorelebiyonmi (Oghore)
Money na make family sweet

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by cupidhero(m): 9:46am On Sep 01, 2017
Mang-Ghost
Inyiri-Charcoal
Ajike-Yansh hair
Amunike-Sodomy
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by onuwaje(m): 9:51am On Sep 01, 2017
cupidhero:
Mang-Ghost
Inyiri-Charcoal
Ajike-Yansh hair
Amunike-Sodomy

Ajike shocked

Wat tribe and region pls
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by BULLIONVAN4(m): 10:02am On Sep 01, 2017
onuwaje:
Amunike wat does it mean

Ibo people pls help
it means penis in yansh
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Basic123: 10:03am On Sep 01, 2017
onuwaje:
Itsekiri funny names
Ogun-eran that's my family nickname it means 20 meat Kosini (council) Adan (bat) Ipi (masquerade) Areyenka (u nr fit trek d world) Ashorkpinmi (talk talk tire me) Eyeoyibo (Oyibo life) Udayibo (sword or Oyibo sword) Ojobon (market day)
Ukubeyinje (death dn spoil arrangements lol) Edemadiden (yellow man) Omadudu /Okorodudu(black child) Ometie (small pickin) Meatseaghanrun ( i nr do anybody anything) lol
Mabiaku (nor die with suffer)
Itsekiri is more or less like yoruba language.
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Nobody: 10:05am On Sep 01, 2017
Akpa amu= 4cupper
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by olaitoro(m): 10:14am On Sep 01, 2017
onuwaje:

Ajike shocked

Wat tribe and region pls

It is Igbo, Aji means hair, Ike means yansh, thus bringing the two together gives ajike.

Though I doubt if it is someone's name, but it can pass as a nick name.
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by olaitoro(m): 10:17am On Sep 01, 2017
BULLIONVAN4:
it means penis in yansh

It is amuneke and not amunike. Eg Emmanuel Amuneke former super eagle player.
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by BULLIONVAN4(m): 10:24am On Sep 01, 2017
onuwaje:
Amunike wat does it mean

Ibo people pls help
it means penis in yansh
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by michony505(m): 10:53am On Sep 01, 2017
onuwaje:

Which yoruba dialect

Cos Ogun in Itsekiri is 20 While Eran is meat

It's desame in all Yoruba dialect
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by michony505(m): 10:59am On Sep 01, 2017
cupidhero:
Mang-Ghost Inyiri-Charcoal Ajike-Yansh hair Amunike-Sodomy
Ajike is a name in Yoruba which means.wake-up to take care of someone

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

6 Undisputed Facts That Prove "Homosexuality" Is Demonic Possession / Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi With His Twin Girls (Photo) / 5 Unwritten Cultural Rules Of The Yorubas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.