Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,033 members, 7,807,076 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:14 AM

Three Sides Of A Coin - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Three Sides Of A Coin (156579 Views)

Messiah's Poem: The Poverty Alleviation Coin (PAC) & Naira Marley Coin (NMC). / *sides Of Love* / sides Of Love (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by kerr9(f): 3:31pm On Sep 16, 2017
are we getting am update any time soon ma.u are doing a great job here

2 Likes

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Osedagal(f): 7:14pm On Sep 16, 2017
Fiyah u are d bomb,nice story more data to ur phone

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by greatface(m): 2:39am On Sep 17, 2017
The Fact That David Is After Rhoda's Assumed Wealth As The Only Heir To The Father Is Becoming More Evident In His Despirate Advice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Gloria007(f): 12:19pm On Sep 18, 2017
Hope all is well Fiyah?

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Nobody: 11:28pm On Sep 18, 2017
Fiyah where are you. Hope you're good sha

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by empressruky(f): 11:37pm On Sep 18, 2017
Fiyah please na. This suspense is killing somebody o.

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Slimeesha(f): 10:46am On Sep 20, 2017
Fiyah hope all is well with you, its so unusual.

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by fiyah(f): 3:33pm On Sep 20, 2017
*PETER*

I was standing before Ehi's door whilst internally dealing with the conflicting thoughts which had succeeded in settling in the pit of my stomach.

I don't know how I got here.

I actually do know how. So, putting it more appropriately, it would be; I don't know why I am here.

I have had this argument with myself this morning at home, in my car so I can't believe why I have to go over that all over again just when there's just a door between me and her living room.

'I am only here to update her about work. I know am being unnecessarily paranoid but I am over that now. I am just over thinking what I actually shouldn't. There is no personal reason attached. She had been away from the office for a few days and she needs updates about the latest development especially those directly concerning her.'

I mentally recited this 'anti paranoia' anthem which I composed on my way down here and surprisingly, it worked as I became confident that I had a good reason for being here once again.

To be sincere, I decided to come see Ehi because she had been ignoring my calls right from the day she called in sick and I don't need a Sherlock to tell me it had everything to do with the confession and secret sharing episode that took place the other night.

I knew it was bound to come with regrets. For her, not me.

She was emotional that night. Broken is the right word and she just spewed every detail she had hidden and that moment, it sounded so right sharing with someone… anybody and coincidence had me being the 'somebody'. It was simply fate that drove me there which is why she really doesn't need to attach any meaning to it nor take it out on me.

The thing is, I have no problem with her ignoring me.

What I wasn't fine with was the reason why she kept ignoring me.

I hate to be the reason why someone feels uncomfortable enough to avoid me just after confiding in me.

It makes me feel like crap knowing I am a reason for someone's discomfort somewhere and I knew the only way to make things right is not by texting her an epistle which she probably wouldn't even read. I knew I just had to come see her and assure her that telling me her secret doesn't have to compromise her confidence. All she needed was erasing that particular episode off her head and we can both pretend it never happened.

My confidence meter seems full enough for me to knock on the door so, I did.

'Ehi, you don't need…' I started rambling immediately the door swung open but was interrupted midway into my statement

'Huh, as much as I would like to listen to you till the end and know what or who 'Ehi do not need', I would prefer the confession, or narration happening inside.' Rhoda was standing by the door, she held the door with her left hand while grinning. That got the side of my lips lifting up in a half smile realizing how dumb I would have seemed pouring it all out like that.

How could I forget Ehi' s place was like her second home.

'Hi' She said stepping aside for me to enter whilst her voice jotted me back to reality

'Hi, Rhoda.' I replied letting the 'hi' linger in the air for a while before adding 'Rhoda'.

I slowly strolled inside the medium sized sitting room while Rhoda closed the door behind me.

'Why don't I get you something to drink while you settle down and maybe just…' She said spinning at a spot like she was looking for something. '… go through this.' She said tossing a large book… I mean album lying on the centre table beside a cup of fruit juice at me.

'It is actually my album. My family album to be precise but it is more like Ehi's too. We practically lived together back then, so that album contains half her picture and half mine. The summary of this impromptu speech is you can ignore my pictures and just go through hers.' She uttered barely taking a break amidst each sentence which eventually made her take a deep breath when she was done..

..or just when I thought she was done.

'Do you take alcohol or you would prefer a fruit juice?' She was peering into the opened fridge on the other end of the room. Only God knew how she got there that fast

'Rhoda, can I…' I tried to say but she was a serial talkative on the loose.

'… you can scratch the alcohol part. Ehi's fridge is a disaster. She has only got soft drink here.Let's see…'
She said peering deeper into the fridge while I tried my luck once again.

'Is Ehi...'

'Okay there is a fruit juice and Coca Cola, which one would you prefer…'

'Rhoda,' I called again and thankfully this time, she looked up at me so I continued before she decides to change her mind 'I just came to see Ehi, is she in here, somewhere?'

'Ehi is inside.' She took a moment before answering that. 'She's in the bathroom. She's taking her bath. I would let her know you are here, don't worry.' She added moving toward me with a bottle of Coca Cola and a wine glass in the other.

'So, I am guessing you've been calling her and she had been ignoring your calls?' She asked as she handed me the half filled glass. Although the statement was declarative enough, she still found a way to make it sound like a question.

'With a tone like that, there is no hiding from you. So, the answer to that would be affirmative.' I answered, careful not to spew the irrelevant.

'I knew it! And she kept telling me it was her Service Provider's customer care.' She said then almost immediately, she added. 'Did you guys have a fight?'

With the album still sitting on my laps, I flipped through the pages, trying to avoid my sister peering eyes.

'No we didn't…'

'How did you guys even meet? Was it at a party? In the mall? Or is it in a traffic? I have heard a lot of love story starting on a traffic. Hold on a second, did you guys meet at a wedding?…'

'That's a lot of question and I am not so sure I can even remember them all… is there any chance Ehi would be out of the bathroom soon?' I asked, trying to create a distraction while straining my ear to catch any movement or sound whatsoever.

'Are you avoiding my questions?' She asked again.

'Yes.' I replied and I saw a smile crept up her face. 'Why don't I do the asking instead…' I said sitting upright.

'That would be fine by me only if…'

'Why were you going through an old album? You were alone in the living room all by yourself, sipping a drink and going through a family album. That only means two things. It's either you have a childhood memory you want to rekindle or you currently have have a family issue and going through pictures of you and your family will bring back memories of when things were fine and unwindy and that would in some ways, calm you.' I started hoping that way, I made the first shot of getting her to talk about her brother.

Me.

There was a moment of silence as the excitement on Rhoda's vanished.

'Well, that is…' She was going to say something before scrunching up her face in realisation. 'Wait a minute. That theory is not legit. You just don't assume family issues by an old album. The only explanation is you knew about my family issues before even stepping inside this room.' She said and I found myself tongue tied. 'Ehi told you right?' She asked.

'Well, not really…'

'That girl has got a leaking mouth, hasn't she?'

'You don't have to be mad at her okay… She was simply worried about you. She asked for my opinion…' I tried making my wrong right but…

'I am not mad at her or you. One thing I know is, you opinion won't be anything different from hers. Who knows, maybe she already fed you with what you need to tell me when you succesfully bring the topic up.' She argued putting an air quoute around the last three words.

'If you don't mind, I would like us to cease talking about my family. Let's talk about you and Ehi. You haven't answered my question yet…'
I stopped her right there knowing we were back to square one. She was deflecting and I needed to too.

'Shouldn't Ehi be out of the bathroom now?' I asked, glancing around the room

'Actually…' Rhoda started, like she was about to confess. I couldn't help guessing what the 'actually' was all about. 'Ehi isn't in. She went to a nearby store but she should be back soon.'

Now I get it.

She lied to me because she wanted me to stay so that she can interrogate me.

'Huh… I will text her then...'

'Are you leaving already?' Rhoda asked.

'Actually, I also have to be somewhere right now. Please let her know I was here.' I rose from the chair and made for the door while Rhoda tried to cajole me into staying.

*EHI*

'YOU DONT HAVE TO IGNORE MY CALLS. ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS INFORM YOU ABOUT THE RECENT CHANGES IN THE COMPANY. YOU'D BE BACK AT YOUR POST AS THE FINANCIAL SECRETARY STARTING MONDAY. BTW, I JUST LEFT YOUR PLACE'

I read the text message from Peter as I strolled into my living room with mixed feelings. I was coming back from the convenience store where I got some boxes of cereals and a few stuffs to stock up my fridge.

I dropped the shopping bags on the kitchen counter while still staring at my phone.

'What took you so long?' Rhoda's voice came from behind me and for a moment, it seemed as though she had been standing there the whole time

Tucking my phone into my trouser's pocket, I turned to face her.

'Yeah. You and I know how very crowded the store gets on Saturdays so it isn't weird you are asking this when I have only been out for a few hours.' I poured pure sarcasm in my statement.

'Four hours isn't a 'few hours'. You've never taken that long.' Rhoda said and she had this inquisitive tone. 'I have this feeling you didn't really go to the store just because you needed things. You went there cos you wanted to be away from me.'

That won't be untrue actually. She had been suffocating me the past few days to talk about Peter whom I clearly don't want to talk about.

'Yeah. Staying away from you was one of the reasons. You wouldn't stop talking about some guy who just happened to sleep in my house four days ago!'

'No random guy just sleeps in a girl's house. You guys much have reached a level of compromise before that happens.' Rhoda argued.

'You know what I think Rhoda?' I said, unloading the materials I bought from the shopping bag. 'I think, the only reason you are obsessing with me and a relationship that can never happen is because you are terrible in the game of deflection. You don't have a good reason for not calling your dad yet. So, instead of focusing on that, you busied yourself with unrealist things. Like me and.. that… Fred… you should start talking about your brother. Stop pretending like he doesn't exist. He does!' I lectured, dropping the final bottle of wine on the counter.

'He does exist or why else would you tell your boyfriend about him? He was here by the way, he left a few minutes ago, you should have met him on the way..' She added, walking to me and leaning on the counter.

I was starting to get confused.

'What did you mean by tell my boyfriend…' I stared at her while scrunching up my face in confusion.

'Now, don't play the 'I have no idea what you're talking about' game, cos you do. Fred came here and he knew I had some issues with my half brother and my dad. How else would he possibly know if you didn't tell him?' Rhoda said, rummaging through the items I just bought.

Well, the other way he would have known is because he is your brother and he knew the whole time!

'Oh… I did….' That was meant to be said in a declarative tone but it only came out more like a question.

That's what happens when you have to admit to something you know nothing about.

'Well, it doesn't matter. I didn't even listen to the speech you had planned for him. I would address my family issues when I want to address my family issues and none of your lame method to get me to talk will work…' Rhoda added.

A knock on the door got us both staring at it.

'Come in.' Rhoda answered the door from where she was by yelling.

I guess she was expecting someone.

David.

He was in front of us in no time.

He was in a casual wear of a white T-shirt over a black trouser while a pair of black sneaker graced his legs.He looked 'outing ready'

'You are late.' Rhoda said as David planted a kiss on her lips.

'But ready, you are not.' He answered wittily.

'All I have to do is put on something. It won't take that long.' Rhoda replied reciprocating his kiss.

'By it won't take that long, you mean an hour or two?' He asked before flashing me a bright smile. 'Hi, Ehi. I got carried away, don't mind my manners.'

'Of course, I was starting to think I was invisible.' I playfully teased holding two bottles of wine while heading to the refrigerator.

'It wasn't intentional. By the way, you won't mind if I steal your girlfriend for today?' He asked.

'Gladly. You can keep her for as long as you want. She had been nothing but a pain in the neck. I could use me some peacefulness.' I answered closing the refrigerator after I put the drinks in it.

'And loneliness…. ' Rhoda said, completing what was supposed to be my statement. ' We would be back before 7 right?' She asked, while David kissed her on the forehead.

'Uhhrgh…' I groaned loudly. 'You two should get a room already.'

David chuckled and Rhoda excused herself then made to leave for the bedroom.

'Huh, it almost skipped my mind. Did Peter, by any chance come here this morning?' David asked searching my eyes and Rhoda's for answers. I could hear my heart hammer through my chest.

' I saw his car on my way down here and I thought maybe he came to see Rhoda.'

'You mean my half brother? Why would he want to come here?' Searching my eyes for unknown clues.

'Maybe it wasn't him you saw. You can't be so sure. Our eyes could be deceiving sometimes. ' I added, chuckling nervously.

'Yeah you are right. Or it may be him and he just came to see a friend down here.' David said, also dismissing the idea.

'Or it wasn't him at all. I would have seen him a couple of times if he has a friend on this street. So I don't think so.' I didn't want any controversy in the statement and I didn't want to sound all defensive.

'I was almost sure it was him…'

'You know what, let's just leave it at 'It wasn't Peter', I don't want this moment ruined by talks about him.' Rhoda concluded. And it was obvious she was getting riled up just mentioning his name.

5 Likes

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by fiyah(f): 3:39pm On Sep 20, 2017
Gloria007:
Hope all is well Fiyah?
Yes o, my Sister. Just had a lil bit of Power issue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Twinkiet2(f): 3:44pm On Sep 20, 2017
Thanks for the update Fiyah

2 Likes

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by itsandi(m): 4:18pm On Sep 20, 2017
Wow! More! Read other cool stories on Tushstories via

www.tushstories.com

#Click!
Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by iiru: 4:35pm On Sep 20, 2017
complications everywhere, thanks for the update

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Lildiamond: 5:12pm On Sep 20, 2017
Nice update

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by AryEmber(f): 5:42pm On Sep 20, 2017
Poor David,A Pity You Will Only Smell It But Never taste It.

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by bellefidel(f): 6:30pm On Sep 20, 2017
fiyah...my love ......awww how on earth did I miss this wonderful story...cheii ......anyway am here
ride on dear

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by crislyn(f): 7:38pm On Sep 20, 2017
AryEmber:
Poor David,A Pity You Will Only Smell It But Never taste It.
That David is up to something...something shady.

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Abelosas222(m): 9:07pm On Sep 20, 2017
join the Team and read the story *Just A Taste* I bet u wud b glued and thirst for more.
read here http://www.Abfictionstories.com
Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by gr8skillz(m): 9:37pm On Sep 20, 2017
Peter's approach to d issue @hand is pretty good

But Rhoda have to upgrade her RAM and reasoning circuitry, 128Mb on a Pentium II medulla clocking @ 1.6Ghz is not commendable for a 'would-be' CEO

It's a pity David will shoot himself on the foot, soon

Fiyah is the master-planner here, over to you my lovely geek

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Pricelessangel0(f): 11:25pm On Sep 20, 2017
No one will see a talent and not appreciate it. tnx for for sharing dis wonderful story with us. keep the good work going for the sky is your limits.

2 Likes

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by greatface(m): 12:52am On Sep 21, 2017
gr8skillz:
Peter's approach to d issue @hand is pretty good

But Rhoda have to upgrade her RAM and reasoning circuitry, 128Mb on a Pentium II medulla clocking @ 1.6Ghz is not commendable for a 'would-be' CEO

It's a pity David will shoot himself on the foot, soon

Fiyah is the master-planner here, over to you my lovely geek

A Computer Scientist Has Just Submitted His Analysis And I Can't Believe Less.

Good Work Fiyah. Keep It Coming...

2 Likes

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Gloria007(f): 5:41pm On Sep 22, 2017
Thanks for the update.I was afraid you won't continue this amazing story.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by fiyah(f): 9:14pm On Sep 23, 2017

*EHI*

The day was going exactly as planned unlike every other thing that I have tried recently.

Who could have thought I would make it through a day without getting to see Peter?

This could actually be because I was no longer his secretary as I now have my old office back.

Or, it could be because I have been attending to all my paperwork at a secluded portion of the company's cafeteria without stepping in the said office at all.

Why do I need to worry? The Cafeteria has all the essential things I need for a smooth running and for performing my duties diligently. There is a socket close to where I sat and I could easily connect my PC without stress. There is a table, athough plastic, but that doesn't matter as long as I could do all the writing and typing and eating without having to worry. And there is the most important part, I don't need to worry about snacks and lunch break as I could simply order from where I sat with just a snap of my fingers!

And also on the plus side, I get to to stay away from Peter. The least of all places he would search for me would be here.

Just how cool is that!

I know a lot of people don't agree with me cos a lot of my colleagues who came in for lunch have been giving me the side eye and some just had that look that clearly spelt 'sanity test in progress.'

'There is a giant rat in my office. That's why I am here. But this is actually fun, you should try it sometimes.' I informed Gloria with a full mouth when she won't stop shaking her head as she had to jump over my PC cable to cross to the other side.

I was going through some documents on my PC when I felt someone standing behind me. I could tell someone was as the brightness of my PC screen suddenly dimmed.

And before looking back, I knew exactly who it was.

I looked up to see Peter staring down at me with a look that clearly registered disappointment while a mischievous smile managed to play at the corner of his lips like he was the seeker who just found the hider after a long day of searching in a brand new hide and seek game.

'This is sad.' He exclaimed

"God" I muttered and made to stand up but he stopped me.

'You aren't going anywhere. You have succeeded in making this place your little office. It won't be easy taking everything down that easy.' He said as he walked to the seat opposite me. Pulling the seat out, he sat down.

'So why don't you sit back down. We need to talk.' He asked… I mean commanded.

'We don't need to talk. We don't even have to talk.' I said as I sat back down reluctantly. 'Plus, you are demeaning yourself sitting and chatting with an inferior colleague. Your ex-secretary to be precise in a place as open as the company's cafeteria.' I added, tucking the sandwich in my mouth while I spoke with a mouthful whilst my eyes roved to an end of the cafeteria where two ladies in matching pantsuits kept staring at us.

Those are the twins in the marketing departments.

They are adult twins and they still rock matching outfits? Who does that?

'You have been avoiding me...' He started but I cut in before he could continue.

'What I have to say to that is, you've be thinking too highly of yourself... I have not been avoiding you.' I argued, maintaining a straight gaze with him.

'Of course, you haven't. You only chose to leave the comfort of your office for this place not only because it is perfectly sane but also because you are the exact definition of anti paranoid.' He said and I was no fool figuring out what he said was plain sarcasm.

'I have been avoiding this. You have suddenly become nice to me. You suddenly want to talk to me about personal stuffs. I don't want that. I don't want you to be...'

'Are you embarrassed by what happened the other day?' He said not looking at me. He dropped the bottle on the plastic table.

'I am not!' I yelled back unconsciously and we turned to look around as I have suceeded in drawing attention... I mean more attention to us. I shrugged off the faces and continued. 'I just don't want you to start feeding me with lies about how my life doesn't exactly suck and how I should be grateful cos I'm lucky to have a life to start with...'I gestured while I rolled my eyes.

'I'm not going to tell you all those things. Your life actually sucks.'

'Weirdly as this may sound, that kinda hurt.' I scrunched up my face in disgust.

'It is the truth. It does sucks and no one cares. It's your choice to make it suck more or suck less. You are clearly not doing the latter. Just try to shun whatever you are going through. Talk to people you trust more often. You'd be a lot happier that way.'

'Are you happy?'I don't know where that came from. I just felt I should say something after the long silence.

'That's the ironic stuff about people like me. Some of us don't even believe in what we advice. You can just call me an hypocrite.' He said and he smiled as he looked up at me.

'You are truthful and blunt to a fault.' I said that aloud like I just made a mindblowing discovery. 'I bet you don't even do the white lie. A lie you tell your loved ones to protect them from being hurt by the truth.'

'I won't exactly use 'honesty' as an adjective to qualify me. It doesn't even fit.'I could help thinking he was just acting all modest despite how serious he sounded.

'The point is, you don't have to run away from me and make me feel guilty for some strange reasons when I actually shouldn't 'cos I did nothing wrong. It doesn't have to be awkward when we are around each other. Why don't you try erasing those awkward memories off your tiny little head while making sure you don't act like some Butterfinger when we have to deal with each other.' He broke the silence once again as I pondered on what he meant by honesty not being the perfect adjective for him.

'Look, I have a better way to fix this. To fix everything.' I sat upright, placing both my palms on the table to stress my point. 'How about we stop talking to each other?'

'Wait… What?… it does… it.. You can't…' I watched him stammer as he unexpectedly became incoherent. I guessed he eventually realised he was babbling. So, he swallowed before starting all over again.

'That doesn't even make any sense. We work together. I'm your boss and we would always talk as long as we both work here… for example, I already came up with a plan on how to fix the company and you would want to hear all about it because it's your job to hear all about it as the financial secretary of this company. So, that can't work…' He paused as if something just popped into his head.

'You wanna know what I think? I think you making a decision like this just showed how very terrible you are at handling delicate and even undelicate situations… You just can't run away from things and think they'll go away… Do you think not talking to me would make everything better?' He asked.

'Well, Yes. It would for a start. You are a splitting version of an headache and you just show up at my place unexpectedly. You even tried to reveal your identity to Rhoda which is a fatal mistake by the way. She will get suspicious ,would eventually find out and that will cost me my friendship especially since she has this crazy idea we are lovers. I don't want that to happen. So yeah, it is all about Rhoda and not because of me. I want us to stop talking. It should be a lot easier especially since I'm no longer your secretary.' I delivered my unplanned speech and for a brief moment I wasn't so sure that was a good idea. But as long as it felt like the safest, there was no regret.

'If you have anything to discuss with me, professionally, I would always grant that. So, this doesn't have to affect our work relationship in any way.' I added when it doesn't seem like he was going to say anything.

'I fail to understand why you have to be the overprotective mother hen. As much as I hate to say this, it is clearcutt Rhoda isn't a realist which is really bad for her as an adult. Enough with the unnecessary sulking already! She is making herself this brand new world where no one mattered except her and you are willing to cheer her on? You just want to make her feel good about herself because for some weird reasons you are… scared? Or is it feeling guilty?' Saying that, he scrutinized my face which momentarily made me feel a bit odd.

'Whichever one it is, I don't care. Making your so called best friend feel good when she is obviously making the wrong call is a very bad quality for you as her friend. You shouldn't be scared. Especially when you know you are doing the right thing. One thing is true and you know it. Nothing changes unless Rhoda brings down those walls around her!' He was rather too serious while saying all these but I didn't care.

I had my mind made up already.

Staring at each other, while silence enveloped the air around us, I made no attempt to speak or break the silence.

The gist eventually got to him that the 'we aren't on talking terms' contract had just been sealed whether he consents or not.

Scoffing loudly, he stood up. 'I guess nothing I said actually matters. Suit yourself then.' With that, he exited the cafeteria looking massively pissed.

8 Likes

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by itsandi(m): 9:18pm On Sep 23, 2017
Nice update! Read other interesting stories on Tushstories via

www.tushstories.com

#Click!
Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by gr8skillz(m): 11:09pm On Sep 23, 2017
Cool

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by abubakarbabang7(m): 8:16am On Sep 24, 2017
FIYAH WHERE ARE YOU?

2 Likes

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Fshalom7(f): 9:14am On Sep 24, 2017
Thanks ma'am Fiyah

2 Likes

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Gloria007(f): 2:08pm On Sep 24, 2017
Hehehe,I saw my name up there.Nice update!

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by ChizzyMaris(f): 4:29pm On Sep 24, 2017
This story is a bomb! The best I've read in a while. Madame fiyah, I throway salute for you o.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Honeydawealth(f): 8:31pm On Sep 24, 2017
Fiyah! Weldone!! Two thumbs up!!!

2 Likes

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by fiyah(f): 11:09pm On Sep 24, 2017

*PETER*

'She said she'd be here in a minute.' Tola's voice came from the other end of the telephone.

'Good.'I said and replaced the receiver.

I adjusted my tie and patted my straw coloured suit like that would smoothen any imaginary wrinkle while staring at my reflection on the iPad before me.

I have gone three days without talking to Ehi which is a miracle by the way as I was itching to talk to her every single hour of each passing day.

I have a lot to say to her ranging from random unimportant stuffs to finishing the story I told her the other night.

She might not know it but she is the first Person I ever talked to about me and I don't know... it felt oddly good confiding in someone. And, for the first time ever, I wanted more of that.

I wanted to share with someone.

I wanted someone to listen to me while I talk.

I have always been the listener as I am not exactly the chatty type and I have lived all my life convincing myself that I don't really need anybody. It still amazes me how talking to one person could change all of that.

And if I weren't me, I would have called me stupid.

Trying to respect her no talking policy might have been the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with aside you know, my mum... You don't know how hard it is watching your only comfort zone slip off your fingers while you just let it go without even a fight. That is simply cowardice robed in a false coat of pride.

I don't care how petty and how 'un-dignifiying' this may sound, I needed to talk to her even if it is simply under the guise of working. At least, that was better than nothing.

I didn't even make the call. I made my secretary do it. It has to seem all professional for her to not suspect a thing.

She might be my only chance at ever having a friend or anything close to it. And I don't want to screw this up like I did with Kate.

A light knock on the door got me sitting upright and smothering my suit one last time. Wasting a few minutes clearing my throat inaudibly, I waited for the second knock which came as soon as I thought of it.

'Come in.' I said loud enough for whoever was at the door to hear and for a moment, I thought I sounded like Theodore from Alvins and the chipmunks.

I pray that was only my imagination screwing with me or that would have been very embarrassing.

Ehi entered, taking careful strides toward the seat before me. Although, I pretended I wasn't giving her the slightest interest, I could tell every detail of her right from the way she braided the tips of her long hair, to the peach blazer she wore over the knee length black gown, and right down to the black open toe high heel shoe she had gracing her legs.

'Please sit down.' I asked in my most formal tone while flipping through the pages of a file I just realised was lying on my desk. From the corner of my eyes, I saw her drag out the chair to sit on it.

'I wanted to discuss the Kobi community law suit with you. I already discussed with the boards and they agreed. Now the only person left to be consulted in the implementation of my idea is you.' I paused hoping if I paused long enough, she would eventually say something.

'And?' She asked after what seemed like five minutes of silence between us.

It worked.

'And, it is late already. How about we discuss this over a plate of Chinese at Kale's say something around 8pm tonight. They have one of the best delicacies around here and I already made reservations. For two to be exact' I closed the file I was looking at to finally look at her in the face.

She remained calm like I didn't just ask her to dinner. This wasn't how I imagined her reaction when I was solo role playing a few minutes ago.

'Or how about we discuss whatever it is right now. I am willing to sacrifice a few minutes of my non working hours.' She said looking right back at me.

This wasn't how the conversation was supposed to go. I think this is the part where she says 'Okay, Fine. But those Kale's better be good.'

Don't blame me. I happened to be a very optimistic individual.

'Well, I can't sacrifice a few minutes of my non working hours. I need to freshen up and relax you know...' I tried to get myself out from under the bus which she apparently threw me in.

'Okay. We discuss this tomorrow then. See you tomorrow, Sir.' She concluded then made to leave.

'Whoo whoo...' I stopped her and I realised I was standing on my toes too.

'What is wrong with you? You are willing to sacrifice a few minutes of your non working hours to talk but not at Kale's? Did you perhaps have a problem with the owner of Kale's?' I switched from desperate to pathetic.

'Now, I am the one with the problem? You are willing to sacrifice a few minutes of your non working hours to talk at Kale's but not here? Do you perhaps have a problem with... you know... your desk?' Her eyes wandered around my office and eventually landed on my desk when she said that.

'We are both yelling at each other like little kids fighting over a stick of candy. See why we should you know, talk over a bowl of hung sung at Kale's?'I tried my luck once again.

Shaking her head in what seemed like regret but isn't actually regret. she exclaimed. 'Oops, it's past my working hours. Talking to you now is illegal She said and finally made for the door. 'Hung sung is a terrible pretend name for a Chinese food by the way.' She added.

I followed her and before I knew it, we were outside my office.

'I already made reservations. Wasting that would be bad for your reputation as the financial secretary of this great company.' I tried woefully again. We were at the stairs and the glaring eyes we got from all the people we met on our way seemed to be getting to her. I could tell she wasn't enjoying the attention.

'This is just sad!' She said finally stopping on the first step to look up at me. 'Which part of 'let us never talk again' don't you understand?' She seemed pretty riled up and it was no joke anymore.

We stayed like that. Her eyes staring daggers at me while I stared back in defeat. Knowing she had succeeded in finally passing her message, she continued descending the stairs while I stayed at the same spot.

'What should I do the about the reservation?' I asked again in a fallen tone.

'Call a friend and go eat. It doesn't have to waste.' She replied not looking back at me.

'I don't have a friend.' That was as sincere as sincere could be. I guessed she deduced the sincerity from my voice cos she stopped.

'I...I...' I tried to continue but I don't know what happened. My vocal cords seemed clasped. For the first time in my life, I was feeling a very weird emotion.

'I just want to talk to someone.'I finally found my voice and that was what came out.

'I need to share. I want to finish my story, the story I told you. I.... need a friend. Maybe just this once? Just this night?' I could swear I heard nothing but pleading in my voice.

She turned to look back at me with a sad smile on her face.

'I will meet you at Kale's at eight then.' She said. 'Just tonight.' She added before continuing her trip down the flight stairs.

'I will like you in red though!' I yelled after her and got nothing except the shaking of her head.

I threw up my fist in excitement but that didn't lasst as I was interrupted by my ringing phone.

'Hello.' I said, holding the phone close to my ear immediately I picked the call.

9 Likes

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Horlar995(m): 12:52am On Sep 25, 2017
Thanks fiyah....God bless you with more wisdom

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Dynamik007(m): 7:23am On Sep 25, 2017
good morning fiyah... nice update... hmm what is DON.... fiyah.. hmm you are a suspect fiyah this update hmm...... kudos friend... who I wish we could go just fast..

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Lost in Lust [A story by Toyin Olorunsola] / STORY: Babe In Total Control / Delayed Diagnosis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.