Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,737 members, 7,802,219 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:12 AM

Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. (11696 Views)

Price War: Ethiopian Airlines On Lagos -london Route Now Cheaper Than Air Peace / Photos Of Pius Adesanmi That Died In Ethiopian Airlines / Ethiopian Airlines Plane Crashes With 157 People On Board (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by Bigframe: 10:51pm On Aug 31, 2017
No Oooo this is bad for Our industry...
Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by claremont(m): 10:53pm On Aug 31, 2017
Einl:
Ethiopia wants to buy Nigeria.

Half the UN budget for food goes to Ethiopia.

A shame. A pity. Terrible. Don't allow it.

Nigerian government must not allow it.

Funny thing is, they invited Ethiopian Airlines. Useless people running the government.

This is totally incorrect. Do you have evidence for this assertion?

http://www1.wfp.org/countries/ethiopia

1 Like

Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by gantic: 10:53pm On Aug 31, 2017
Reading the comments....trying to figure out how the government gets blamed for a privately run airline being run aground. Arik is (was) a private entity that lots of people swore never to use again because of dissapointments.

The government is trying to salvage what is left of it, Virgin Nigeria was ignored, Aero was ignored....should Arik also be ignored so it "dissapears"?

Asky (the francophone carrier) was handed over to Ethiopian aeons ago, there is a direct and lucrative lome to new York flight to show for it. Ethiopian is better run than SA, Egypt or any African airline - I actually pick them ahead of some European airlines. In seeking management options, shouldn't priority be the best capabilities?

Or we sacrifice the airline because of nationalistic sentiments Etihad invested (in fact bailed out) in Alitalia and Air Berlin! Let the airline run, create jobs....then we discuss nationalistic sentiments.

As anyone that has flown Ethiopian and flown through Addis would admit, whether we like it or not, they are light years ahead of us in the aviation industry. Our airlines fly to Addis (at least I have seen a Medview plane in their hanger) for maintenance so it's not strange that they are getting involved.....its a business relationship, not colonialism.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 11:03pm On Aug 31, 2017
What a shame.
Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by Gamesmart: 11:04pm On Aug 31, 2017
Einl:

Eyaaa...your naive.

This is international politics.

You can't let a lesser country come and purchase one of your top companies.

We don't have enough Nigerian owned companies owned by Nigerians and this lesser country wants to purchase one of our best companies.

How many Nigerian companies have made foreign acquisitions??

that's what I thought.

Please where did you study this your "international politics"?

1 Like

Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by Gamesmart: 11:05pm On Aug 31, 2017
claremont:

This is totally incorrect. Do you have evidence for this assertion?

http://www1.wfp.org/countries/ethiopia

Maybe he got it from his lectures in "international politics".

1 Like

Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by Gamesmart: 11:08pm On Aug 31, 2017
gantic:
Reading the comments....trying to figure out how the government gets blamed for a privately run airline being run aground. Arik is (was) a private entity that lots of people swore never to use again because of dissapointments.

The government is trying to salvage what is left of it, Virgin Nigeria was ignored, Aero was ignored....should Arik also be ignored so it "dissapears"?

Asky (the francophone carrier) was handed over to Ethiopian aeons ago, there is a direct and lucrative lome to new York flight to show for it. Ethiopian is better run than SA, Egypt or any African airline - I actually pick them ahead of some European airlines. In seeking management options, shouldn't priority be the best capabilities?

Or we sacrifice the airline because of nationalistic sentiments Etihad invested (in fact bailed out) in Alitalia and Air Berlin! Let the airline run, create jobs....then we discuss nationalistic sentiments.

As anyone that has flown Ethiopian and flown through Addis would admit, whether we like it or not, they are light years ahead of us in the aviation industry. Our airlines fly to Addis (at least I have seen a Medview plane in their hanger) for maintenance so it's not strange that they are getting involved.....its a business relationship, not colonialism.

You obviously did not study the "international politics" Einl studied.

1 Like

Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by bedspread: 11:10pm On Aug 31, 2017
They shouldn't be in talks... they should take over immediately.....
Anything in the hand of Nigerian government crashes..

2 Likes

Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by Grundig: 11:12pm On Aug 31, 2017
Richard Branson took over Air Nigeria. But it only took him months to realise nigeria is a different kettle of fish. He ran!

Ethiopia government/airlines beware

1 Like

Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by SalamRushdie: 11:26pm On Aug 31, 2017
It's a shame that Nigeria is now depending on the Ethiopians for aviation management when in the past the came to Nigeria Airways for same

1 Like

Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by bigpicture001: 11:39pm On Aug 31, 2017
y is nigerian govt so stupid under dix administration?...y wld dey plan to hand over the biggest airline to a foreign airline...haven't they heard abt capital flight...if Etiopía airline is interested in biz in nigeria..let it com.and apply....south Africa govt refused nigeria to part own a south African airline and nigeria airways joint venture Wich wkd be managed by south Africa airways..simply cuz dey said it's a national issue..den obj canceled the contract out rightly...plz let's not do this in the name of cutting cost and promoting efficiency...there are many gud biz management companies in nigeria that can bring the arik airline bak to profitability...
Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by morinto: 11:40pm On Aug 31, 2017
LoveJesus87:
J
at least Ethiopia is better because Nigeria government will run it down and it will close finally. so best is Ethiopia airlines to run it as far 60% are Nigeria workers.
Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by MaxNdu: 12:39am On Sep 01, 2017
evy1:
Ethiopian Airlines is in talks to take over management of Nigeria's troubled Arik Air.

Nigeria’s government took over Arik Air early this year after it declared heavy losses.

Ethiopian Airlines’ head for international services, Esayas Woldemariam, told the Associated Press news agency that the negotiations follow a request by Nigeria’s aviation ministry.

“We definitely are willing and able to take over the management of Arik Air,” he told AP.

State-owned Ethiopian Airlines is Africa's most profitable carrier.
http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-africa-40829648

Imagine, "the negotiations follow a request by the Nigeria's Aviation Ministry". This is one of the most shameful and disgraceful thing that will happen in this Government. Ethiopian Airlines taking over Arik Air......Shame, shame, shame to this Government!!!
Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by Memejem: 12:57am On Sep 01, 2017
diportivo:

until the nigerian factor sets in

That's so true. If this plan does go through, my hope is that the Ethiopian airline will be able to persevere. If not they'll quickly sell it off to someone else. They won't allow their image to sink just because of "Nigerian factor"
Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by nwoke37: 1:29am On Sep 01, 2017
I believe Ethiopian Airlines wants to manage Arik Air not necessarily buy it. I welcome the development but there is still an issue over the huge sum of debt Arik Air has amassed. Sooner or later the issue of the debt will become an issue no matter the person managing Arik Air . The question is if the Nigerian Government is willing to buy out Arik's debt estimated to be over $800 million. Debt is certainly an important factor to be looked at when considering how Arik Air will bounce back and ultimately be successful in the long term.
Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by babapressy(m): 1:48am On Sep 01, 2017
Realy
Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by Nobody: 3:28am On Sep 01, 2017
Mismanagement and embezzlement in Nigeria,? What is new
Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by Hallmark08(m): 4:10am On Sep 01, 2017
El-rufai is acquiring arik airline via a third party, by contracting it to Ethiopia airline take over the management pending the expiration of his tenure. This is incontrovertible fact!
Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by Benjor: 4:29am On Sep 01, 2017
if we can't Manage Arik, is it the national carrier we will manage well?
Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by vedaxcool(m): 4:34am On Sep 01, 2017
Gamesmart:

Maybe he got it from his lectures in "international politics".

grin grin grin
Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by 41lady(m): 6:21am On Sep 01, 2017
We economists call this Neo-classical modern slavery in the 22nd century, or sorry we are still in 21st century, don't mind me, this country- Singapore look like ahead of Nigeria that's why I mistaken 21st as 22nd.

Though is better for our Africa brother to manage our resources than these white, brown or tea colour people to do that and lut the resource and revenue to their continent and will deny us from going to enjoy them.
Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by lorhema(f): 6:44am On Sep 01, 2017
Ethiopian Airlines is not a government-owned company. It is a private- owned company and has been so for decades! I wonder why the people running it prefer to give the impression that they are an arm of government though.
Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by LoveJesus87(m): 6:49am On Sep 01, 2017
morinto:
at least Ethiopia is better because Nigeria government will run it down and it will close finally. so best is Ethiopia airlines to run it as far 60% are Nigeria workers.
of course u are right
Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by miqos02(m): 6:58am On Sep 01, 2017
Einl:

Funny thing is, they invited Ethiopian Airlines. Useless people running the government.
the Ethiopian airline is managed by expatriates
Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by onadana: 7:00am On Sep 01, 2017
Lawalemi:
Nigeria is finished.

I weep for Nigeria. Ethiopian air was amongst the airlines seeking know how on how Nigerian airways the biggest airways in Africa in 1973 operates.These people that did this to us may they and their generation never know peace.

1 Like

Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by Nobody: 7:26am On Sep 01, 2017
Einl:

Giant of Africa without a national carrier and they still wanna let Arik slip outta their hands.
They can sell off their ar,ses for all I care. So long they spare Aso Villa 'cos that's my destination.

Happy new month people. Share some love...
Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by xreal: 7:30am On Sep 01, 2017
Memejem:
I hope this happens. Ethiopia airlines have a better history of management than arik

This u say better?
That's an understatement bro.

Comparing a 5Star to a 1Star.

Please, how soon will this happen? Our local airliner will not be happy with this.
Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by InvertedHammer: 7:31am On Sep 01, 2017
MaxNdu:

Imagine, "the negotiations follow a request by the Nigeria's Aviation Ministry". This is one of the most shameful and disgraceful thing that will happen in this Government. Ethiopian Airlines taking over Arik Air......Shame, shame, shame to this Government!!!

I don't understand the wailing. If Nigerians could, they would. Should they wait until Arik airplanes start falling off the sky to act? Patriotism does not balance sheets neither does it provide positive cash flow.
Nigerians are one of the best educated group of people in the world because they pursue education as title to massage their egos. When it comes to practical application of acquired knowledge, they fall short in glory. Everyone is out to outdo each other in running a company underground. Unproductive employees expect salaries with no input. But when a foreign firm hires the same employees, they sit up. Something is inherently wrong with the psyche of an average Nigerian. Educated or not, it doesn't make any difference as long as they are dealing with fellow Nigerians.
/

1 Like

Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by rafindo(m): 8:07am On Sep 01, 2017
Einl:

Your bigotry will be the first to complain that a northern is running it
Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by Einl(m): 8:09am On Sep 01, 2017
rafindo:
Your bigotry will be the first to complain that a northern is running it

Pls no vex...but explain what the hell you mean because honestly I don't know what you are talking about.
Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by Einl(m): 8:11am On Sep 01, 2017
Fit2Rule:

Giant of Africa without a national carrier and they still wanna let Arik slip outta their hands.
They can sell off their ar,ses for all I care. So long they spare Aso Villa 'cos that's my destination.

Happy new month people. Share some love...

My brother....Giant of Africa without a national carrier.... lol

Then Ethiopia wants to buy one of our indigenous airlines...hhahahahahah
Re: Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. by Einl(m): 8:14am On Sep 01, 2017
miqos02:
the Ethiopian airline is managed by expatriates

What exactly is your point? It's managed by foreigners but owned by who?

Who is the legal owner(s) of Ethiopian Airlines?

The giant of Africa doesn't even have a National carrier.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

DIY Info On Schengen Visa Applicants / Welcome To Tiny Liberland:would You Apply For Citizenship? / Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.