Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,962 members, 7,806,786 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:02 AM

The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. (15990 Views)

Innocent Ilo Wins 2020 Commonwealth Short-story For African Region / Participate In The 2018 APEN/AISEN Short Story Contest, Powered By Okadabooks / Publiseer Is A Finalist At The 2018 Harvard Business School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by Divepen1(m): 2:36am On Sep 01, 2017
We are delighted to announce that the Commonwealth Short Story Prize, the flagship project ofCommonwealth Writers, is open for entries from 1 September 2017 to 1 November 2017.

Entry is free.

The Prize is for the best piece of unpublished short fiction (2,000 - 5,000 words) in English; regional winners receive £2,500 and the overall winner receives £5,000. Stories translated into English are eligible, and this year we invite entries in the original languages of Bengali, Chinese, Kiswahili, Malay, Portuguese, Samoan and Tamil.

The five winning stories from the 2018 competition will be published online by Granta Magazine.

Visit their website for the entry and eligibility guidelines and online entry form:
Visit their website

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by Divepen1(m): 8:53am On Sep 01, 2017
Common Wealth Short Stories:61 days To Go

1 Like

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by Donclint007: 6:56am On Sep 02, 2017
OK na
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by ifycelebrity(f): 6:57am On Sep 02, 2017
where are skarllet and skillet?
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by sundilazo(m): 6:59am On Sep 02, 2017
Rubbish, absolutely rubbish....
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by Blogtrovert(f): 7:05am On Sep 02, 2017
Nice. Let the writing begin!
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by mrkia(m): 7:08am On Sep 02, 2017
Hope to make it through this one. May God Almighty assist me

4 Likes

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by Gmike2rule(m): 7:38am On Sep 02, 2017
The clashing of pens and wit. Let it begin!

1 Like

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by xxxtedyxxx(m): 8:05am On Sep 02, 2017
I hope erotic short stories are allowed, because that is my specialization.

1 Like

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by inkon: 8:05am On Sep 02, 2017
sundilazo:
Rubbish, absolutely rubbish....

Why do you term it rubbish?

1 Share

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by Spexo001(m): 8:07am On Sep 02, 2017
A short story about biafra in Tamil language will do...
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by uboma(m): 8:14am On Sep 02, 2017
I will give this one a try.

I hope I will have the time though.
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by Ezi39: 9:13am On Sep 02, 2017
After leaving the 9jamobile own because of lack of finance, I have seen another one that does not involve huge spending. It's time to give it a trial
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by krissconnect(m): 9:25am On Sep 02, 2017
I'm defintly definitely this
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by Divepen1(m): 12:07pm On Sep 02, 2017
Common Wealth Short Stories:60 days To Go

2 Shares

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by Frankenstein: 3:12pm On Sep 02, 2017
Spexo001:
A short story about biafra in Tamil language will do...
I don't think political stories would be chosen.

Better to write about Political Correctness.
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by DozieInc(m): 5:38pm On Sep 02, 2017
Time to make that money.
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by KingNom(m): 6:21pm On Sep 02, 2017
Nice, it's time!
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by Ezi39: 7:59pm On Sep 03, 2017
I have just submitted mine. I can't wait to hear the result!

1 Like

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by SQLmastar(m): 8:04am On Sep 04, 2017
Ezi39:
grin grin
Calm down bro....the results would be announced next yr.
I suggest you quickly get married and raise a family grin

12 Likes

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by yaya12: 5:03pm On Sep 04, 2017
Can I use pidgin English to write?

1 Like

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by Nathaniel79(m): 10:46am On Sep 05, 2017
yaya12:
Can I use pidgin English to write?

Lol, then don't be surprised to see a "broken" result. End time ideas. Smh.

2 Likes

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by yaya12: 4:15pm On Sep 05, 2017
Winner of the award, broken English, pidgin english category. YEEEH. Lol.
Nathaniel79:

2 Likes

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by ManCrimes: 5:25pm On Sep 07, 2017
Please guys I need you to read my novel titled' No More Pleasure for dead girls " thank by mancrimes. Thank you.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by Mike4S: 9:03am On Sep 12, 2017
A synopsis of a story that was submitted and shared in Facebook.

A young girl once vowed that she would never marry a poor man. Changing men was akin to throwing out old shoes and buying a new pair.
This continued until she got the right man. The flirtation later blossomed into a permanent relationship.
Luckily to her, the young man became more popular than before that people encouraged him to test his political prowess.
The clarion call was heeded to as the man tried it and won. The lady who inveigled the young man into marrying her was very happy to be called "first lady".
Soon the Governor made an oversea incursion: in order to bring his elder brother, who was involved in illegal migration, home.
Just when the Governor was about to come back, their plane "missed".
A de facto government that saw his ex officio replacement take over government emerged.
The wife was not happy as she was stripped off her position. She did not obey the law of financial dictum and soon she was at the precipice of bankruptcy.
Her lifestyle was such that she abhorred dressing like others. She was the originator of most dresses and never put on what has been hackneyed.
This, coupled with her wacky hairstyle and excessive makeover that had in many times earned her indecent proposal, were the remote cause of her downfall.
In a strange paradox, the beauty she engaged in made her look ugly before causing her to look beautiful.
This made her to spend the entirety of many days at home. When she later saw her aesthetic remark to be fair, she started venturing out like others.
Soon the beauty faded again and she returned to her ugly self. This, coupled with her inability to pay her bills, caused her to sell her husband's house; which was yet to be willed to her.
She was the talk of the day for that singular act. She was publicly vilified by fans and foes.
Just as she used to recoil from any man whose pocket got dried, she soon surprised the populace by sharing an invitation card...inviting guests to her wedding with a Korea-based man.
No sooner that she shared the card than the new lover arrived. She released a bombastic that startled everyone on hearing that her latest lover has arrived.
In order to solicit compliment from the man, she made up herself and headed to the airport.
The Korea-based man who had not seen her before did not hide his surprise on seeing a face that did not match his 'taste.'
The young woman seeing, the perplex in the new lover's face, tried to hypnotise him but to no avail.
The Korea-based man who was angry with her look accused her of faking her beauty. The woman's look was different from the one that moved the Korea-based man in one of the social media (twitter). The man staged a walkout and the young woman, who had used all her feminine wiles to win the man, was helpless. When it dawned on her that what then happened was the finality of her marriage, she released a paroxysm of grief that sounded like that of a wounded animal. This did not fall on a sympathetic ear as the 'run away' lover did not turn back.
The young woman agonised it throughout her life as there was no more marital prospect for her.
The missing husband later returned from Europe and did not marry the gold digger again.

WHAT IS YOUR OPINION?

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by krissconnect(m): 2:19pm On Sep 12, 2017
Ezi39:
How did u register bro. I clicked on the website BT couldn't find the option for registration
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by Ezi39: 3:32pm On Sep 12, 2017
krissconnect:

How did u register bro. I clicked on the website BT couldn't find the option for registration

I submitted here: http://www.commonwealthwriters.org/submit-an-entry/
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by Ijay58: 6:23am On Sep 13, 2017
Pls how can i register
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by thewritingtodo(m): 10:34pm On Sep 19, 2017
Nathaniel79:

Lol
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by thewritingtodo(m): 10:34pm On Sep 19, 2017
Cool info. There already.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs / "Sweet Pain" / Torn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.