Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,878 members, 7,802,833 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:52 PM

7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period (13692 Views)

ASUU To Decide Weather To Call-off Strike Or Not On Thursday / Buhari Gives Adamu Adamu 2 Weeks Ultimatum To End The Strike Or Be Fired / ASUU To Fg: Why Do You Want To Spend Money On IPPIS When UTAS Is Free? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by brandonstark: 9:48pm On Sep 01, 2017
It’s no longer news that winter is here ASUU has gone on strike. There’s no idea how short this will last but going by the news, expect another week.

Yeah, I can relate with how annoying the trend is. Take it from someone who’s sat at least a year of strike actions put together.

Looking on the bright side, ASUU strike does provides you extra time you can put to great use. This same can be said of other ‘holiday’ periods.

For this article, a holiday refers to anytime school is not in session. It may be semester breaks, strike actions or the unfortunate case of waiting a year to rewrite JAMB. It could also be the months of waiting for NYSC call up.

In any case, this time is valuable and you can’t afford to blow it away. There are tons of stuff you can do with this free time. Even if you may have misused some of this times in the past, this is one time to make things right. Here are 7 ways you can make the most of this period…

1. Intern or get a small-time job
This may be a great time to draft your CV and pitch yourself to employers. Already, there are a couple opportunities since the announcement of this strike.

Walk around your area, speak to older friends and colleagues. Actively, seek opportunities to improve on your work experience. The pay may be peanuts, but the experience is worth much more.

2. Join the family business
Some of us have ‘family businesses’. This the business our parents have been doing for some time. It can be a big-time company or a small supermart. Whichever one it is, it’s not a bad idea spending holiday working here. It’s one way to give back and also add to your professional experience.

3. Learn a new skill
I have an engineer friend who makes a living today from graphics design. He learnt it while we were in school. There’s almost no limit to the skills you can learn during holidays. If anything, start with learning basic and intermediate computer operations (if you don’t know that by now). Code schools are also popping up everywhere so you can join one. You can also join the growing community of Nigerian freelancers and hone your skills.

4. Be active in church, other groups
Refuse to be an onlooker anywhere you find yourself. Be a part of people who make things work. Join a group in church, your community, and be active in it. These experiences also contribute shaping the person you’ll be in the future.

5. Travel
There’s no harm in travelling if you can afford it. Travelling is also a form of learning. If you happen to have relations scattered around Nigeria and abroad, consider travelling. Life’s too short to not explore more places.

6. Read books
I don’t mean only course-related books. Take up a novel, read a book on investment, study Nigerian history, look up spiritual books. Read far and wide.

7. Have fun
Well, you still have to catch some fun. Plus, it’s perfectly okay to spoil yourself a little. You can binge watch your favourite TV series, play football, go to more events etc etc.

http://naijastudenthub.com/2017/08/18/7-great-ways-to-spend-ASUU-strike-or-any-holiday-period/

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Abdullateef77(m): 9:57pm On Sep 01, 2017
This is good advise.
Anyway thanks for sharing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Yusfunoble(m): 10:54pm On Sep 01, 2017
Nice one, but I just want to resume undecided

13 Likes

Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by MhizzAJ(f): 7:12am On Sep 02, 2017
okay
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Nobody: 7:12am On Sep 02, 2017
Learn a skill .. This should be a time you ruminate about the future and what you want to become.. It's not about degree, it's about having a dream you can die for.

1 Like

Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by KendrickAyomide: 7:12am On Sep 02, 2017

1 Like

Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Nobody: 7:13am On Sep 02, 2017
Instead of travelling abeg just watch tv... Nigerian roads are not good.. mk person no go die because of ASUU...

meanwhile y'all should check thus out

Top 10 most viewed Nigerian music videos on youtube

12 Likes

Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Tajbol4splend(m): 7:15am On Sep 02, 2017
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME MAKE UNA CELEBRATE ME

35 Likes

Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by sundilazo(m): 7:15am On Sep 02, 2017
We don here, abeg make una allow person rest....where d work dey outside, person don find work tire. No be money person go use learn/acquire skills? Mtcheeeew.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Nobody: 7:16am On Sep 02, 2017
Time for dem to pansh with reckless abandon

1 Like

Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Kizyte(m): 7:16am On Sep 02, 2017
Nice but it's easier said than done.
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Nobody: 7:21am On Sep 02, 2017
cheesy

op men are already missing babes for school and you're talking about having fun, abeg which type of fun
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by BullionVan111: 7:23am On Sep 02, 2017
I base in cross river boundary of bakassi penisula. Our mosquito is Always coming from that region. Tonight we couldn't sleep, Cameroon mosquito just dey bite us with vexs. �

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by SweetyZinta(f): 7:24am On Sep 02, 2017
stay away from unhealthy behaviors,

avoid any from of ponzi schemes

network and meet new people.

God bless us

1 Like

Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by arejibadz(m): 7:29am On Sep 02, 2017
during strike who thinks about book
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Bryan12(m): 7:29am On Sep 02, 2017
300lv.Computer science/stats
Certified in software/Hardware
This strike is an opportunity for me to get a skill in sound engineering and mixing.
I wish every undergraduate has this mindset. cry

2 Likes

Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by sakalisis(m): 7:31am On Sep 02, 2017
good
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by purityval(m): 7:32am On Sep 02, 2017
Learn basic computer skills. ... This can never be over emphasized.
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by emmayayodeji(m): 7:33am On Sep 02, 2017
grin
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by itiswellandwell: 7:38am On Sep 02, 2017
Check my signature and let's work together . You can propose our customised Atm card flash drive to schools and you make money .
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Nobody: 7:39am On Sep 02, 2017
No. #4 is a big NO for me. Sundays only and nothing more. smiley smiley
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Nobody: 7:42am On Sep 02, 2017
brandonstark:
It’s no longer news that winter is here ASUU has gone on strike. There’s no idea how short this will last but going by the news, expect another week.

Yeah, I can relate with how annoying the trend is. Take it from someone who’s sat at least a year of strike actions put together.

Looking on the bright side, ASUU strike does provides you extra time you can put to great use. This same can be said of other ‘holiday’ periods.

For this article, a holiday refers to anytime school is not in session. It may be semester breaks, strike actions or the unfortunate case of waiting a year to rewrite JAMB. It could also be the months of waiting for NYSC call up.

In any case, this time is valuable and you can’t afford to blow it away. There are tons of stuff you can do with this free time. Even if you may have misused some of this times in the past, this is one time to make things right. Here are 7 ways you can make the most of this period…

1. Intern or get a small-time job
This may be a great time to draft your CV and pitch yourself to employers. Already, there are a couple opportunities since the announcement of this strike.

Walk around your area, speak to older friends and colleagues. Actively, seek opportunities to improve on your work experience. The pay may be peanuts, but the experience is worth much more.

2. Join the family business
Some of us have ‘family businesses’. This the business our parents have been doing for some time. It can be a big-time company or a small supermart. Whichever one it is, it’s not a bad idea spending holiday working here. It’s one way to give back and also add to your professional experience.

3. Learn a new skill
I have an engineer friend who makes a living today from graphics design. He learnt it while we were in school. There’s almost no limit to the skills you can learn during holidays. If anything, start with learning basic and intermediate computer operations (if you don’t know that by now). Code schools are also popping up everywhere so you can join one. You can also join the growing community of Nigerian freelancers and hone your skills.

4. Be active in church, other groups
Refuse to be an onlooker anywhere you find yourself. Be a part of people who make things work. Join a group in church, your community, and be active in it. These experiences also contribute shaping the person you’ll be in the future.

5. Travel
There’s no harm in travelling if you can afford it. Travelling is also a form of learning. If you happen to have relations scattered around Nigeria and abroad, consider travelling. Life’s too short to not explore more places.

6. Read books
I don’t mean only course-related books. Take up a novel, read a book on investment, study Nigerian history, look up spiritual books. Read far and wide.

7. Have fun
Well, you still have to catch some fun. Plus, it’s perfectly okay to spoil yourself a little. You can binge watch your favourite TV series, play football, go to more events etc etc.

http://naijastudenthub.com/2017/08/18/7-great-ways-to-spend-ASUU-strike-or-any-holiday-period/
During school days I subscribe to 7 a lot.

1 Like

Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Nobody: 7:43am On Sep 02, 2017
uzoclinton:
Instead of travelling abeg just watch tv... Nigerian roads are not good.. mk person no go die because of ASUU
You don't have to do inter-state. You can travel from street to street in your area. You know,inter-street. At least those inter-street roads are good.
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Nobody: 7:44am On Sep 02, 2017
uzoclinton:
Instead of travelling abeg just watch tv... Nigerian roads are not good.. mk person no go die because of ASUU
The best comment so far. A student died last week.

1 Like

Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Nobody: 7:45am On Sep 02, 2017
mansakhalifa:
You don't have to do inter-state. You can travel from street to street in your area. You know,inter-street. At least those inter-street roads are good.
undecided
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Nobody: 7:45am On Sep 02, 2017
Tajbol4splend:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME MAKE UNA CELEBRATE ME
Happy Birthday to you man... May the Lord lift you high, more life!

Nice post coming from OP.

1 Like

Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by YoShawtee(f): 7:46am On Sep 02, 2017
I'll go for the last one,ese!
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by dangotesmummy: 8:00am On Sep 02, 2017
Impregnate someone
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Mzpinzy: 8:03am On Sep 02, 2017
All i wanted is to just go to school�..Bt guess in 9ja its too.much to ask....Ad pls stop advising me abt tavel..fun..bla bla bla...Infact m treaking to Europe... Hu wants to join �

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ibadan Poly Orders Immediate Suspension Of Student Union / ASUU To Tinubu: "We Have Been On The Same Salary Since 2009" / How To Make Money On SIIT Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.