Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

Fish Farming Business (mackerel) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Fish Farming Business (mackerel) (22833 Views)

Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Plantain Farming Business:the Money Making Machine With 25years Span / Reasons Why Most Nigerians Fail In Poultry Farming Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by eoronsaye: 8:41pm On Feb 13, 2007
Hi People
I would like to know why fish farmers in nigeria have not gone into breeding Mackerel. I mention Mackerel because this is without doubt one of or the most popular fish eaten in Nigeria. Yet virtually all Mackerel consumed is being imported from abroad. I am aware that fish farmers are rearing predominantly catfish and tilapia, yet no one seems to focus on Mackerel.

Can anyone enlighten me on why this is so or have I just discovered a massive gap in the market for home grown Mackerel.

Cheers
Ese

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by gmcln(m): 10:45pm On Feb 13, 2007
I think Mackerel are saltwater fish. U find them near atlantic ocean coastal line.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by Seun(m): 7:10pm On Jun 21, 2011
Can't one keep them in a saltwater pond or something? What do they eat?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by EuroMeko(m): 9:59pm On Aug 17, 2011
eoronsaye:

Hi People
I would like to know why fish farmers in nigeria have not gone into breeding Mackerel. I mention Mackerel because this is without doubt one of or the most popular fish eaten in Nigeria. Yet virtually all Mackerel consumed is being imported from abroad. I am aware that fish farmers are rearing predominantly catfish and tilapia, yet no one seems to focus on Mackerel.

Can anyone enlighten me on why this is so or have I just discovered a massive gap in the market for home grown Mackerel.

Cheers
Ese

This thread died abruptly, did you garner more information that you can share?

You can replicate saltwater in a controlled pond but would like to hear of your research.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by Gladmama(f): 8:42pm On Aug 30, 2011
Eoronsaye, I found your thread on Google as I was researching for Mackerel Farming, from my findings and like gmcln and Seun said, Mackerel is a saltwater fish and if replicated saltwater ponds are maintained, then, it will work but it will be too difficult and tasking as salt will be a major expense after feeding, I guest they will eat any fish food like the rest of the fresh water fish. Salt must be constantly added to the pond and also levels must be maintained, if the salt is too much the fish will die and that will be an expensive mistake. If you keep in tanks, also salt level mush be assertained. That is why Lobsters and tigger shrimps are also not grown in Nigeria as the right equipments are rear and will be too labour intensive and expensive. Pls post any valuable informations on the topic on the forum. Thanks.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by EuroMeko(m): 8:45pm On Aug 30, 2011
Please have no doubt that it can be done on a farm, even Salmon with there convoluted spawning scheme are being bred on a farm.

The issue here is the extremely high cost of farming saltwater natives on a farm and who can afford it in Nigeria.

I envision 15% part of my fish farm to be dedicated to other than Catfish/Tilapia farming when in full swing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by Gladmama(f): 9:10pm On Aug 30, 2011
EuroMeko, do you produce your fish feed your self, if so what are the contents and preparation processes? or do you know who can teach or where I can learn?
Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by EuroMeko(m): 10:10pm On Aug 30, 2011
I have not started my business yet, still doing the same things you are doing, due diligence. Before a kid can walk, first he must crawl, yes? lol

As far as food, since you brought it up, my model is to use all imported stock (fish, food, etc) during what I call the seasoning period.

Then as harvest periods goes by I will start introducing local feeds, etc, in a controlled manner (separate pond/fish stock) I anticipate using all local produce on the farm within 3 years, hopefully sooner.

This will also give me enough time to have made local partnerships with fishery students for feed production purposes.

You can follow my progress on my website http://GoneFishing.VillageHeadMaster.Com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by EuroMeko(m): 3:24am On Aug 31, 2011
Gladmama, I want to send you a link to an interesting idea for you to consider.

My email is in my profile.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by Gladmama(f): 12:33pm On Sep 27, 2011
But EuroMeko, your email is blocked. Pls send to??, Pls if you got this email send me a mail and I will delete it. Pls continue to contact me as I would like us to work together, you will not believe some ideas I have, but because I am not on the ground it is difficult for me to act. Also your website is not really helpful has not got much info for me.
Let's change the topic a bit. Pls look for Mud Crab Farming in the topic area.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by ultrazone(m): 11:55pm On Jul 22, 2014
hh
Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by Aquarich008(m): 10:00pm On Nov 13, 2014
You have all said well as regard the thread. There are many things to consider before chosing a fish as an aquaculture candidate and it beyonds the issue of either salt, brackish or fresh water you are talking about. The most important thing you need to consider is the Biology of the fish in question and this has covered water issue. This is so because when you are talking about fish farming, the first thing you need to consider is that can the fish seed produced artificially, can our annual temperature range support the growth and reproduction of the species under the topic, what is the feed and feeding habit of the fish, is the fish so hardy to the extend of surviving in our hash system of farming, what is the fish growth rate, will the species be ecologically sustainable, will it not affect our indegenious stock when escaped to the wild, can we manipulate the water so as to create an optimum water quality parameter for the species. These and many more questions need answer before deciding on candidature of a fish in species. In conclusion, there are some species that have been established as good aquaculture candidates in Nigeria and sub saharan Africa. It takes years to establish a fish species for farming through rigorous and time consuming research. Thanks.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by whitecloth: 10:30pm On Oct 27, 2015
what a beautiful post, I search it on Google and i was redirected here.
Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by midastouch: 12:02pm On Oct 28, 2015
My suspicion is that Farmed Mackerel may not retail cheaper than wild caught fish. I have seen videos of trawlers catching entire schools of mackerel. Its not a fair competition. I might be wrong though.
Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by Nobody: 7:14am On Oct 29, 2015
Pls can anyone help with a business idea and stating it
value proposition for a Catfish business u can mail me olatunjiadekunleo@gmail.com tnks God bless
Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by babytejiri(m): 12:24pm On Jun 15, 2016
Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by fiveinfos: 8:09am On Feb 14, 2018
2018 Tilapia Fish Farming Business Plan / Feasibility Study Analysis
http://businessplaninnigeria.com.ng/tilapia-fish-farming-business-in-nigeria/
Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by ultrazone(m): 8:32am On Feb 14, 2018
Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by kunleweb: 8:50pm On Aug 11, 2018
Gladmama:
But EuroMeko, your email is blocked. Pls send to??, Pls if you got this email send me a mail and I will delete it. Pls continue to contact me as I would like us to work together, you will not believe some ideas I have, but because I am not on the ground it is difficult for me to act. Also your website is not really helpful has not got much info for me.
Let's change the topic a bit. Pls look for Mud Crab Farming in the topic area.

how did your fish dream go?

1 Like

Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by KEMIBLOG: 2:23pm On Aug 25, 2018
Hello. Good day..
I have a large pond which can contain about 2-3 thousand fishes in Lagos. . I need someone to partner with,
Reason is that I am currently serving in Ogun state as a corper so I don't have much time for it..
So I need some one who I can join hand together with to do the business... Pls it's has to be someone from Lagos

08106259151..I am Chidi..

1 Like

Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by konews: 7:25am On Oct 30, 2020
Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by Soffyh(m): 2:00pm On Dec 21, 2021
One thing I don’t understand is, is there no salt water lake in lagos, is oosa river different to salt water ?? I think lagoon is the “osa river
Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by Phoeberesources(f): 5:49pm On Dec 21, 2021
Improved F1 pawpaw #800 - #1,000
For improved F2 pawpaw price is within #500 to #1,000 (the more the quantity the more the discount)
The varieties are Sweet and bigger
Fruiting period is within 6 to 8 months

Location Ibadan (easy transportation)
Chat us on

Other nourished seedlings � �
Noni
Dwarf Mango
Dates palm
Cocoa
Walnut
Moringa
Almond
Aloe vera
Teak gedu
Strawberry
Miracle fruit
Passion fruit
Pomegranate
Sugar apple
Wanbugu apple
Jumbo cashew
Jumbo Gauva
Dwarf pawpaw
Local pear/Ube
Hass avocado pear
Neem/DongoYaro
Irvingia ogbono/oro
Aggbalumo/udara/cherry
Pineapple (sweet cayenne)
Plantain (cameroon,elephant)
Banana (giant hybrid Cavendish)
Budded sweet orange, Tangerlo, Citrus Grape. Lemon, Shaddock, tangerine

SEEDS :��️���
Watermelon, Okra, Tomatoes, Pepper Onion, cabbage, Lettuce, Carrot, Cucumber,rice, yam, sunflower, flaxseed, sesame, alfalfa, jute, ewedu, garden egg, beans,soya beans, seedling nylon, seed tray, Insecticides, fertilizers…

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by Captaincee(m): 12:47pm On Jan 02, 2022
Gladmama:
EuroMeko, do you produce your fish feed your self, if so what are the contents and preparation processes? or do you know who can teach or where I can learn?
Thanks.
. Please Sire, kindly share the research you've done over the years. I'd love to get acquainted.
Re: Fish Farming Business (mackerel) by Captaincee(m): 12:49pm On Jan 02, 2022
EuroMeko:
Gladmama, I want to send you a link to an interesting idea for you to consider.

My email is in my profile.
Sire, please, do share it here.

(1) (Reply)

How To Get Hybrid Cocoa Seedling T. C series In Nigeria /cocoa Farm Management / 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture / Are You Into Buying And Selling Of Agricultural Products? Kindly Join Our Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.