Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,505 members, 7,808,857 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:03 PM

Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') (4636 Views)

21 Facts You Need To Know About Faith Oyedepo...a Woman Who Helped Birth Her Hus / Let's Talk About Love. / What You Must Know About Faith (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by fyneguy: 1:13pm On Feb 23, 2010
We have read so much about FAITH from those who have been labelled '''members of the word of faith movement'' for so long.

Perhaps to set the record straight,'' the Non-WOF faithfuls'' should please do an expose on the true FAITH', with scriptural references.

We'll like to know:

*what FAITH is

*Its significance now

*Applications (with precise examples, in the bible days and now)

*What can't Faith achieve, if any?

Thank you
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by mbaemeka(m): 1:20pm On Feb 23, 2010
i'm really eager to see what "they" would put up- atheists sorry, aletheia and the rest. i'm grinning in anticipation. grin grin grin
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by viaro: 1:27pm On Feb 23, 2010
@fyneguy,

Thank you for now setting up the thread. In due course, I'd post a few things about faith, but let me quickly answer this part of your question:

fyneguy:

Something that faith cannot achieve: it cannot make you or any other Christian become a deity. wink
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by nuella2(f): 1:34pm On Feb 23, 2010
The holy ghost resides in me, i have the life of christ, am born of God, i do what natural men(non believers) cant do. Am i just a man? certainly another class of man.
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by viaro: 1:45pm On Feb 23, 2010
nuella2:

Am i just a man? certainly another class of man.

^^ does that make you a deity?

Please, please and please, I would like a direct answer to that pivotal question. That is what is at the heart of WOF teachings today, no gainsaying it. With all the talk about 'i am god', why do WOF proponents stutter and shy away from giving a direct answer to that simple question? undecided

When one goes through the assertions of WOF teachers, it does not take much digging to find that they have made reference to themselves as "divinity" - that there is no difference between them and divinity, or that they cannot be human.

Now when several folks begin to drink into that kind of teaching, what we 'non-WOFs' want to know is a direct answer to the simple question: are you a deity just as God is Deity? Please don't gamble that question away, because it is precisely what WOF teachers have acclaimed in their doctrines (eg., Kenneth Copeland, Paul Crouch, Creflo Dollar, Paula White, etc). These folks have not minced words when declaring these things. So why are you guys shying away from giving a simple answer for what you actually are declaring of yourselves?

Are you a deity just as God is Deity?

When you answer that question in all honesty, we discuss more. All bragado claims about being this and that and evading that question just amount to raising airy speech. Please guys, do us the fav of dealing directly with that simple enquiry. Thanks.
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by nuella2(f): 2:24pm On Feb 23, 2010
what do you mean by Deity like God. God is almighty, not even Jesus is God almighty, he is head of the Godhead. So not deity in that sense. What i mean in am not natural cos God gave birth to me, my spirit have been recreated in his likeness. No human is in the class of God to receive worship and adoration as God. But we carry the supernational and will become immortal when christ comes. So am not diety as God almighty who created me. But  am born of the supernatural(God) cos the greater one is in me so am not natural like every other man.
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by ukotmi: 2:57pm On Feb 23, 2010
viaro:

@fyneguy,

Thank you for now setting up the thread. In due course, I'd post a few things about faith, but let me quickly answer this part of your question:

Something that faith cannot achieve: it cannot make you or any other Christian become a deity. wink

Please follow the rules set by fyneguy. post your response to the issues he raised. angry angry angry angry
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by manmustwac(m): 3:05pm On Feb 23, 2010
Faith means not wanting to know what is true
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by ttalks(m): 3:16pm On Feb 23, 2010
fyneguy:

We have read so much about FAITH from those who have been labelled '''members of the word of faith movement'' for so long.

Perhaps to set the record straight,'' the Non-WOF faithfuls'' should please do an expose on the true FAITH', with scriptural references.

We'll like to know:

*what FAITH is

*Its significance now

*Applications (with precise examples, in the bible days and now)

Thank you

Faith is believing and trusting in something based on what God has said about that thing.
Then, that means,If God did not say something about an issue, we can't believe in it.
It is a firm persuasion and expectation that God will perform all he has promised us in Christ.
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by ttalks(m): 3:28pm On Feb 23, 2010
The significance of faith now is to see us through life as we await the end of faith; which is the return of Christ.
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by ttalks(m): 3:40pm On Feb 23, 2010
As regards application, I don't think faith is a tool that can be applied.
Faith is the sum total of our belief system. It is the content of what God has declared that makes up our faith.

It is faith that makes us who we are; without faith we aren't believers(people who believe in God).
So, I guess our faith marks us out as children of God; believers in God and what he has declared and done and will do.

Heb 11:6
(6) But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

So, the only "application" of faith as it would seem is to please God.

As regards what faith can't achieve,. . . . . . .well, there are so many things faith can't achieve, but I'll summarise them as anything God did not state in his will or anything that isn't according to God's will and ultimate purpose.

grin
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by ttalks(m): 3:44pm On Feb 23, 2010
nuella2:

The holy ghost resides in me, i have the life of christ, am born of God, i do what natural men(non believers) cant do. Am i just a man? certainly another class of man.

Can you give an example of what you can do that non believers cannot do?
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by viaro: 4:38pm On Feb 23, 2010
ukotmi:

Please follow the rules set by fyneguy. post your response to the issues he raised. angry angry angry angry

Did fyneguy not raise an issue that I responded to? cheesy
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by fyneguy: 4:43pm On Feb 23, 2010
viaro:

@fyneguy,

Bros,

Define Deity and I'll tell you if I am or not smiley (Remember semantics has nothing on me smiley )
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by fyneguy: 4:54pm On Feb 23, 2010
ttalks:

Faith is believing and trusting in something based on what God has said about that thing.
Then, that means,If God did not say something about an issue, we can't believe in it.
It is a firm persuasion and expectation that God will perform all he has promised us in Christ.

Faith is believing and trusting in something?  Please give biblical reference to back up that claim.

Posted by: ttalks

As regards application, I don't think faith is a tool that can be applied.
Faith is the sum total of our belief system. It is the content of what God has declared that makes up our faith.[

Heb 11:6
(6)  But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

So, the only "application" of faith as it would seem is to please God

Faith can not be applied?  When Jesus said if you had faith as small as a mustard seed and say to the mountain to________ that's not an application?

When the the woman with the issue of blood used her faith to pull power out of Jesus, that's no application abi?

Have you read this line in the bible-  "Your faith has made you whole'' ? Was it not because someone applied faith ?

Ok bros, go back to the scriptures and study more on Faith. thank you smiley
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by fyneguy: 4:55pm On Feb 23, 2010
ttalks:

Can you give an example of what you can do that non believers cannot do?

Did you really ask that? Thank God for this thread. It has exposed why some people say what they say.
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by viaro: 5:01pm On Feb 23, 2010
fyneguy:

Define Deity and I'll tell you if I am or not smiley (Remember semantics has nothing on me smiley )

I'm not using semantics - I already noted what I mean by deity (even divinity). Choose your poison and answer the question, if you may. smiley
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by fyneguy: 5:05pm On Feb 23, 2010
viaro:

I'm not using semantics - I already noted what I mean by deity (even divinity). Choose your poison and answer the question, if you may. smiley

Bros,

Define Deity/Divinity and I'll tell you if I am ''your definition'' tongue
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by fyneguy: 5:08pm On Feb 23, 2010
Viaro,

By the way, you are almost derailing this thread. We can talk deity-ish on another thread.

Please answer the questions I posed, seriatim.

Thanks for your co-operation smiley
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by viaro: 5:32pm On Feb 23, 2010
fyneguy:

Viaro,

By the way, you are almost derailing this thread. We can talk deity-ish on another thread.

Nope, please don't accuse me. I am not derailing anything. You raised an issue about what faith cannot do - and I answered with one example. How is that a derailment?

Second, you opined that you wanted to open this thread for "non-WOF believers", and I urged you to do so from the other thread. Since I am one of the 'non-WOF believers', that is why I came here to discuss what you felt you could not discuss in that thread. If you want me to leave so you can turn this into another WOF thread, let me know and I shall oblige presently.

Please answer the questions I posed, seriatim.

Thanks for your co-operation smiley

I will do so again, even though I already gave an answer to your question. When you read my definition, please don't accuse me of derailing anything, or better still explain how I was doing so - and I shall refrain or adjust. The thread was not about 'Faith' for believers, but specifically for "non-WOF believers" - am I missing something?

Now again to answer your question:
fyneguy:

Define Deity/Divinity and I'll tell you if I am ''your definition'' tongue

1. Deity/Divinity: the quality possessed by God alone in His transcendence and preternaturality that distinguishes Him from every other thing in existence.

That will do for now and encapsulates what I have been trying to point out. Will expatiate if need be. smiley
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by ttalks(m): 5:36pm On Feb 23, 2010
fyneguy:

Faith is believing and trusting in something?  Please give biblical reference to back up that claim.

Mister, I said faith is believing and trusting in something based on what God has said about that thing; not the shortened version you rendered above.
Go through the whole of Hebrews 11 to see the picture.

Faith can not be applied?  When Jesus said if you had faith as small as a mustard seed and say to the mountain to________ that's not an application?

When the the woman with the issue of blood used her faith to pull power out of Jesus, that's no application abi?

Have you read this line in the bible-  "Your faith has made you whole'' ? Was it not because someone applied faith ?

Ok bros, go back to the scriptures and study more on Faith. thank you smiley

I don't call the stuff you highlighted above "applications" of faith.

Rather, I call them acts of or acts based on faith.
Do you know what acting based on faith means?
It is acting based on what the faith constitution(the word of God) says.

Let me give an example:

When the word of God says: love your neighbours/enemies; and then it is evident in your actions that you love your enemies /neighbours,
then, you are acting on faith or based on faith. This is because if the word of God did not instruct such, you might not have shown such action.
You did that or acted so based on what the word of God required of you.

That, is acting based on faith.

It is not the magical scenario which you guys believe in such as "calling something into existence out of nothing" or "faithing something into existence"  grin
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by ttalks(m): 5:43pm On Feb 23, 2010
fyneguy:

Did you really ask that? Thank God for this thread. It has exposed why some people say what they say.

There's no need for all the mystery. If you could help nuella2 and give an example of what you can do that non believers can't do, that would help.
Let's see what example you can give.

And please do not give examples like being able to commune with God or stuff like that cos that does not count because non believers do not count it as anything.

What should count is something that you can do that they would have loved to do but can't because of their unbelieving statuses.
Afterall, that's what all the gibberish you guys spew everyday implies. grin
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by fyneguy: 5:47pm On Feb 23, 2010
ttalks:

Mister, I said faith is believing and trusting in something based on what God has said about that thing; not the shortened version you rendered above.
Go through the whole of Hebrews 11 to see the picture.

I don't call the stuff you highlighted above "applications" of faith.

Rather, I call them acts of or acts based on faith.
Do you know what acting based on faith means?
It is acting based on what the faith constitution(the word of God) says.

Let me give an example:

When the word of God says: love your neighbours/enemies; and then it is evident in your actions that you love your enemies /neighbours,
then, you are acting on faith or based on faith. This is because if the word of God did not instruct such, you might not have shown such action.
You did that or acted so based on what the word of God required of you.

That, is acting based on faith.

It is not the magical scenario which you guys believe in such as "calling something into existence out of nothing" or "faithing something into existence"  grin

They are not Faith applications but acting on Faith based on what God instructed? OK!

What did God say that the woman with the issue of blood acted on that pulled power out of Jesus and healed the woman?

What did Jesus want us to act on when he said if we had Faith as little as the mustard seed, the mountain shall respond?
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by fyneguy: 5:52pm On Feb 23, 2010
Now again to answer your question:
1. Deity/Divinity: the[b] quality possessed by God alone[/b] in His transcendence and preternaturality (Semantics!)that distinguishes Him from every other thing in existence.

That will do for now and encapsulates what I have been trying to point out. Will expatiate if need be. smiley
[quote][/quote]

What is the quality possessed by God alone in His (those semantics above smiley ) . Be specific sir smiley
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by viaro: 6:28pm On Feb 23, 2010
fyneguy:

What is the quality possessed by God alone in His (those semantics above smiley ) . Be specific sir smiley

The quality is Deity/Divinity.

You asked me to define 'Deity/Divinity' - and my definition states that:

~ 'Deity/Divinity' is the quality which God alone possesses

~ because God alone possesses the quality of (Deity/Divinity)

~ it (that quality) sets Him apart in transcendence and preternaturality

~ and that ^^ distinguishes Him from every other thing in existence.

That's breaking it down for you. Please come back and ask viaro to define every word I've typed in this reply (by the time you read to the end, there would be about 120 words by individual count).

You guys are just here to play games, no? You don't know what sets God apart from all other things in existence, no? Please just amuse me.
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by Mikaela: 6:34pm On Feb 23, 2010
"faith:

confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, an idea, or a thing.
belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.
loyalty or allegiance to a person or thing; esp. fidelity to a promise.
the theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will."

I'm a non believer by the way.
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by fyneguy: 6:39pm On Feb 23, 2010
viaro:

The quality is Deity/Divinity.

You asked me to define 'Deity/Divinity' - and my definition states that:

~  'Deity/Divinity' is the quality which God alone possesses

~  because God alone possesses the quality of (Deity/Divinity)

~  it (that quality) sets Him apart in transcendence and preternaturality

~  and that ^^ distinguishes Him from every other thing in existence.

That's breaking it down for you. Please come back and ask viaro to define every word I've typed in this reply (by the time you read to the end, there would be about 120 words by individual count).

You guys are just here to play games, no?  You don't know what sets God apart from all other things in existence, no? Please just amuse me.

Heheheheheehe. You are unable to define what the quality is.

All you have said is that ''Only God has this quality called Deity''

That did not define Deity!  Tell us what Deity/Divinity is all about! You have only convinced yourself that only HE has this quality, which you dont even understand or are unable to define.

Let me help you: Is it His Immortality that makes him a Deity?  Is it the fact that He is the Alpha and Omega? Is it the fact that only Him is worship-worthy? Think about these things smiley

I rest my case tongue
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by fyneguy: 6:44pm On Feb 23, 2010
Mikaela:

"faith:

confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, an idea, or a thing.
belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.
loyalty or allegiance to a person or thing; esp. fidelity to a promise.
the theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will."

I'm a non believer by the way.

I hope you did not misconstrue ''Non-wof believers'' to mean unbelievers (non-christians)?

Anyway, This is thread is for believers. Thank you
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by Mikaela: 6:50pm On Feb 23, 2010
fyneguy:

I hope you did not misconstrue ''Non-wof believers'' to mean unbelievers (non-christians)?

Anyway, This is thread is for believers. Thank you

I didn't misunderstand anything. And I wasn't rude either. I just gave my stake. WTF?
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by viaro: 6:57pm On Feb 23, 2010
fyneguy:

Heheheheheehe. You are unable to define what the quality is.

I did - you wanted to console yourself by deliberately missing it. grin
You could try defining it for yourself if you're not satisfied with mine.

All you have said is that ''Only God has this quality called Deity''

I'm sure I said much more than that and also broke it down for you, no?

That did not define Deity!

That's okay; so please help me define Deity.
When you're done, please also help me define Divinity.

Tell us what Deity/Divinity is all about!

When you define both Deity and Divinity, I shall then tell you what either is all about.

You have only convinced yourself that only HE has this quality, which you dont even understand or are unable to define.

If you're convinced that others have this quality, please show us. If you cannot show, you will be such a laugh.

Let me help you: Is it His Immortality that makes him a Deity?  Is it the fact that He is the Alpha and Omega? Is it the fact that only Him is worship-worthy? Think about these things smiley

Thanks for the 'help', but did you never read of TRANSCENDENCE and PRETERNATURALITY in what I said? grin grin

It seems you were here to play games and be dodgy from the onset; which is no wonder, since it was set up for "non-WOF" believers.  Since WOF teachers are claiming divinity for themselves, you only managed thus far to spin and twist and say nothing at all on these things, no?

Let me help you: the WOF doctrine of "i-am-God" is a heresy. Period. You can define and undefine that whichever way you choose and run to another thread, it matters little from what we already know about the WOF movement.
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by fyneguy: 7:08pm On Feb 23, 2010
lol

Viaro,

I can see you like wahala so much.

I told you those words are semantics and asked for further explanations, if any. You were waiting for me to play your role for you. smiley

Anyway, Deity/divinity is what makes God, God, to you. Ok!

Having His divine nature and being expressions of His glory is what makes us Gods on earth. smiley

I rest my case.
Re: Let's Talk About Faith (''non-wof Believers'') by ttalks(m): 7:29pm On Feb 23, 2010
fyneguy:

They are not Faith applications but acting on Faith based on what God instructed? OK!

What did God say that the woman with the issue of blood acted on that pulled power out of Jesus and healed the woman?

Well, I believe you should know that the people of that time also had the old testament writings(torah). And it definitely contained a lot of
stuff about the messiah(Jesus Christ) which any body could have faith on and act based upon.

eg.

Mal 4:2
(2)  But unto you who revere and worshipfully fear My name shall the Sun of Righteousness arise with healing in His wings and His beams, and you shall go forth and gambol like calves [released] from the stall and leap for joy.

Also, belief in the fact that he was the messiah and also the evidence of the miracles he had been performing.

What did Jesus want us to act on when he said if we had Faith as little as the mustard seed, the mountain shall respond?

Simple! The fact which his word proves to us that he is God and will do anything according to his will; that nothing is impossible with him.
The fact that he is able to do all things is to make us act with firmness of trust and belief that he will do concerning our petitions, desires and requests according to his sovereign will, mercy and purpose.

Putting it simply; . . .  the fact that God is God(If you know what that means. . . ).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Our Daily Manna Devotion Fasting And Prayers / What Does Sunday Mean To You / What People Don't Know About Mammy Wata

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.