Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:34 AM

Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? (21986 Views)

How Can I Invest In Treasury Bills / Leave My N10m In My Savings Account Or Invest It In Treasury Bill? / How Do I Invest In Treasury Bills In Nigeria? 2019 Guide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by chinnyonwu(m): 8:06am On Sep 03, 2017
Where are my conservative investors, do you know that Stanbic IBTCs Mutual funds is here for you?
No you don't.

This is a great start for very conservative investors. I started here too, but after a while i said Bleep this. Im 25..i have time to take bolder risks. So i pulled 60% of my investment here and went to cryptocurrencies � (remember i didn't pull all, 25 year old people can have BP issues)
I dont know your level of comfort with risk but if your investment priority is safety of your capital, or having near-money, this could be what you need.

I will try to be concise. Feel free to ask for further clarification.

StanbicIBTC is finance company, i'm limiting this to the particular product i invested in-Their money market fund (mmf).
This fund pulls money to invest in money market securities only (FGN treasury bills, commercial papers, bankers acceptance etc), since they pull so much funds, they get better rates than a single individual wouldve been able to get, and also have access to investment vehicles which may not be available to a single individual.
Right now the yield hovers around 18% (per annum).
This means an investment of 100k for 365 days will get you 118k at maturity and around 1500 monthly. Through the app or your portal, you can monitor your daily money growth.

To get started you dont need an account with Stanbic. Simply walk into their bank and tell them you want to invest in StanbicMMF.
A form will be given to you after which you'd receive an email that your account has been opened. Download Stanbic Bank app from your Appstore and login through the mutualFund tab.
Great place to store some money you might need in a short notice.

When i pulled out 60% of my investment (still using the app) , i received CR alert within the day.

Source: https:///c2dx8r

6 Likes

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by sgtponzihater1(m): 8:24am On Sep 03, 2017
chinnyonwu:
Where are my conservative investors, do you know that Stanbic IBTCs Mutual funds is here for you?
No you don't.

This is a great start for very conservative investors. I started here too, but after a while i said Bleep this. Im 25..i have time to take bolder risks. So i pulled 60% of my investment here and went to cryptocurrencies � (remember i didn't pull all, 25 year old people can have BP issues)
I dont know your level of comfort with risk but if your investment priority is safety of your capital, or having near-money, this could be what you need.

StanbicIBTC is finance company, i'm limiting this to the particular product i invested in-Their money market fund (mmf).
This fund pulls money to invest in money market securities only (FGN treasury bills, commercial papers, bankers acceptance etc), since they pull so much funds, they get better rates than a single individual wouldve been able to get, and also have access to investment vehicles which may not be available to a single individual.
This means an investment of 100k for 365 days will get you 118k at maturity and around 1500 monthly. Through the app or your portal, you can monitor your daily money growth.

To get started you dont need an account with Stanbic. Simply walk into their bank and tell them you want to invest in StanbicMMF.
A form will be given to you after which you'd receive an email that your account has been opened. Download Stanbic Bank app from your Appstore and login through the mutualFund tab.

When i pulled out 60% of my investment (still using the app) , i received CR alert within the day.

This is a great post. I try to educate naive investors of the magic of compound interest and how to harness that magic via mutual funds. I have done mutual funds for a decade and it's growth majorly surpassed even d high yielding businesses.

We must all be rich!

7 Likes

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Sep 03, 2017
How do one fund the acct since one doesn't have acct with ibtc and can you withdraw ur fund anytime u want to?
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by Willie2015: 12:19pm On Sep 03, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

This is a great post. I try to educate naive investors of the magic of compound interest and how to harness that magic via mutual funds. I have done mutual funds for a decade and it's growth majorly surpassed even d high yielding businesses.

We must all be rich!

Pple die, coy fold up... got a better chance with FG & treasury bills.

3 Likes

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by sgtponzihater1(m): 12:31pm On Sep 03, 2017
Willie2015:

True anyways. But Stanbic, FBN, Zenith have been around for decades.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by Willie2015: 12:51pm On Sep 03, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

True anyways. But Stanbic, FBN, Zenith have been around for decades.

My Brother,

These are hard times . Enron, World Com, Pan Am, Arthur Andersen are excellent coys for a long time and yet they are gone.

Be wise ..

4 Likes

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by sgtponzihater1(m): 12:55pm On Sep 03, 2017
Willie2015:

My Brother,

These are hard times . Enron, World Com, Pan Am, Arthur Andersen are excellent coys for a long time and yet they are gone.

Be wise ..

Thanks bro. Advice noted with thanks.

1 Like

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by ddestiny20(m): 1:38pm On Sep 03, 2017
why wait for 18% yearly when you can earn 8.3% monthly. check my signature
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by chinnyonwu(m): 2:08pm On Sep 03, 2017
hustlengetpaid:
How do one fund the acct since one doesn't have acct with ibtc and can you withdraw ur fund anytime u want to?
You can fund the account through an online deposit... Just like you fund your bet9ja account, or make payment online with your debit card.
sgtponzihater1:

We must all be rich!
Compound interest is really magical. 18% seems small but over years it amounts to something big. But im young sha. I want to take more daring risks.
Willie2015:

Stanbic MMF doesn't invest in Stock market. They invest in same Treasury bills and other money market instruments. The good thing is that they offer greater rates and liquidity.

5 Likes

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by ETHIX(m): 2:24pm On Sep 03, 2017
chinnyonwu:
No you don't.

I am forced to reply you and educate members of the public.

you mean I can get 18% in mmf with stanbic after investing my funds but I have to wait till maturity to get the interest. Common, Mr marketer, if I put that same money in treasury bills with stanbic I will get the same rate but my money will be upfront. I don't need to wait till maturity to get my interest. mind you, I use the interest to pay my rent and my children school fees.

pls guy continue with your treasury bills for now cos is far better. these fund managers will make more gain from you. if am doing mmf I expect 22% interest since my interest will be at maturity. Please go back and study the time value of money in finance

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by Willie2015: 2:49pm On Sep 03, 2017
chinnyonwu:

You can fund the account through an online deposit... Just like you fund your bet9ja account, or make payment online with your debit card.

Compound interest is really magical. 18% seems small but over years it amounts to something big. But im young sha. I want to take more daring risks.
Stanbic MMF doesn't invest in Stock market. They invest in same Treasury bills and other money market instruments. The good thing is that they offer greater rates and liquidity.

So why give it to Stanbic when I can invest it directly in the same TBills, & other money mkt instrument and Stanbic will still charge mgt fees for doing nothing.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by Mup4life: 4:16pm On Sep 03, 2017
Willie2015:

So why give it to Stanbic when I can invest it directly in the same TBills, & other money mkt instrument and Stanbic will still charge mgt fees for doing nothing.
because with MMF you can get your money out as early as 1month after investment without penalties.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by Willie2015: 4:26pm On Sep 03, 2017
Mup4life:
because with MMF you can get your money out as early as 1month after investment without penalties.

You can get your money out from TBills anytime, you only loose part of your interest which is a fair deal.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by chinnyonwu(m): 4:42pm On Sep 03, 2017
ETHIX:

I am forced to reply you and educate members of the public.

you mean I can get 18% in mmf with stanbic after investing my funds but I have to wait till maturity to get the interest. Common, Mr marketer, if I put that same money in treasury bills with stanbic I will get the same rate but my money will be upfront. I don't need to wait till maturity to get my interest. mind you, I use the interest to pay my rent and my children school fees.

pls guy continue with your treasury bills for now cos is far better. these fund managers will make more gain from you. if am doing mmf I expect 22% interest since my interest will be at maturity. Please go back and study the time value of money in finance
First of all, im no fund manager. Im simply sharing my investment knowledge.
Secondly, im an accountant and should understand time value of money properly.
Thirdly, let me show you a little calculation that Stanbics MMF beats FGN treasury bills.
If you invest 1m in FGN bills for 6months at 17% interest, you get around 85k interest. You argue This interest is paid upfront so the actual money you invest is 915k. 915k at Stanbic IBTCs MMF will get you around 84k. All in all it's a close call but done forget that..
1) if you invest anything below 6months is FG Tbills, stanbic becomes far better option cos of better rates
2) you can withdraw your cash in stanbic after just 1 month lock period, treasury bills is for the whole duration if not you incur penalty.
3) you can purchase investment in stanbic mmf at any fucking time, not waiting for next auction or waiting for secondary market rates to be available.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by chinnyonwu(m): 4:43pm On Sep 03, 2017
Willie2015:

First, with stanbic even for a 1 month duration investment i can enjoy same rates people achieve on 365 day investment.
Secondly, i dont know how many more investments you can buy as an individual.. Have you bought commercial papers before? Bankers acceptances?
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by Mup4life: 4:57pm On Sep 03, 2017
Willie2015:

You can get your money out from TBills anytime, you only loose part of your interest which is a fair deal.

with HUGE penalties on your interest, with MMF your interest are intact with minimal charges.

1 Like

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by Willie2015: 6:20am On Sep 04, 2017
Mup4life:
with HUGE penalties on your interest, with MMF your interest are intact with minimal charges.

No huge penalties on interest pls

1 Like

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by Mup4life: 10:16am On Sep 04, 2017
Willie2015:

No huge penalties on interest pls
No need to argue go here https://www.nairaland.com/878880/treasury-bills-nigeria/372 and read through the page.

2 Likes

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by noOnelikeM: 12:27pm On Sep 04, 2017
As an "Accountant" speak in numbers.
Show that if you put your money in mmf for less than 6 months, you get better rewards.

Don't say "minimal fees". That's what banks use to deceive us. Tell us the fees.
My opinion.

5 Likes

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by CuteRedd(f): 2:18pm On Sep 04, 2017
Prefer farmcrowdy and thriveagric. Shorter not porated tenures greater ROI
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by dotcomnamename: 2:32pm On Sep 04, 2017
chinnyonwu:
No you don't.

Don't you think Treasury Bills is safer than Mutual Funds?

1 Like

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by vitality22(m): 2:53pm On Sep 04, 2017
What is the minimum amount to invest in Mutual funds?
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by chinnyonwu(m): 3:28pm On Sep 04, 2017
dotcomnamename:

Don't you think Treasury Bills is safer than Mutual Funds?
Different mutual funds have different investments they use. Even stanbic has the one that invests in blue chip stocks.
But im talking about the one that concentrates on money market instruments (stanbic Money market fund) and it invests ONLY in money market securities which are usually guaranteed investments.
Therefore i will consider the risk the same
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by chinnyonwu(m): 3:30pm On Sep 04, 2017
vitality22:
What is the minimum amount to invest in Mutual funds?
Stanbic MMF is 50k

1 Like

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by dotcomnamename: 3:44pm On Sep 04, 2017
chinnyonwu:

Different mutual funds have different investments they use. Even stanbic has the one that invests in blue chip stocks.
But im talking about the one that concentrates on money market instruments (stanbic Money market fund) and it invests ONLY in money market securities which are usually guaranteed investments.
Therefore i will consider the risk the same

Thanks for your reply. However, you cleverly avoided my question and infarct you twisted it grin:

Again, Don't you think Treasury Bills is safer than Mutual Funds? Yes or No. Is that simple to answer? grin

1 Like

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by chinnyonwu(m): 4:25pm On Sep 04, 2017
dotcomnamename:

Thanks for your reply. However, you cleverly avoided my question and infarct you twisted it grin:

Again, Don't you think Treasury Bills is safer than Mutual Funds? Yes or No. Is that simple to answer? grin
I answered your question. I ended my last post with "therefore i will consider their risks the same" menaing in my opinion, neither is safer than the other
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by dotcomnamename: 4:52pm On Sep 04, 2017
chinnyonwu:

I answered your question. I ended my last post with "therefore i will consider their risks the same" menaing in my opinion, neither is safer than the other

I hear you sir.
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:23pm On Sep 04, 2017
dotcomnamename:

Fund managers also earn fees and commissions from the investment

1 Like

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by wellsaid(m): 5:30pm On Sep 04, 2017
Unlike TB u can easily add more funds and withdraw some parts of your funds.
Also MMF got better rate than TB on the average over a period of time.
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Sep 04, 2017
What can affect your investment in the mmf?
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:04pm On Sep 04, 2017
wellsaid:
Unlike TB u can easily add more funds and withdraw some parts of your funds.

Also MMF got better rate than TB on the average over a period of time.

That can be done with Treasury Bills via the secondary market.

2 Likes

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by dboss444: 7:05pm On Sep 04, 2017
i learned from R.kiyosaki that the best way to become rich is to have a successful business before investing, im trying to build a sucessful business hope to join you people soonest.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chaka Receives SEC License For Stock Trading In Nigeria / My Friend Lost His House Rent To MMM. He Has Been Evicted !! / DAAR Communications Shares

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.