Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:47 AM

Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? (21985 Views)

How Can I Invest In Treasury Bills / Leave My N10m In My Savings Account Or Invest It In Treasury Bill? / How Do I Invest In Treasury Bills In Nigeria? 2019 Guide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by gnykelly(m): 9:58pm On Sep 04, 2017
ETHIX:

I am forced to reply you and educate members of the public.

you mean I can get 18% in mmf with stanbic after investing my funds but I have to wait till maturity to get the interest. Common, Mr marketer, if I put that same money in treasury bills with stanbic I will get the same rate but my money will be upfront. I don't need to wait till maturity to get my interest. mind you, I use the interest to pay my rent and my children school fees.

pls guy continue with your treasury bills for now cos is far better. these fund managers will make more gain from you. if am doing mmf I expect 22% interest since my interest will be at maturity. Please go back and study the time value of money in finance

you shouldn't have been hard on him. he is just a marketer. and his audience are everyday people who don't understand how money works. lets him give them a chance.
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by vitality22(m): 9:39am On Sep 05, 2017
chinnyonwu:

Stanbic MMF is 50k
This is totally different from what i was told. I was told that the minimum amount for mutual funds is (five thousand Naira) #5,000 but here you are saying 50k. First bank mutual funds is 5k
Please could you kindly confirm the amount again. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by Partnerbiz3: 12:56pm On Sep 05, 2017
gnykelly:

you shouldn't have been hard on him. he is just a marketer. and his audience are everyday people who don't understand how money works. lets him give them a chance.
Which hard on him.
That guy has been able to refute all claims here.
He has established his point and he is right.

The guy is smart..

3 Likes

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by Partnerbiz3: 12:57pm On Sep 05, 2017
vitality22:

This is totally different from what i was told. I was told that the minimum amount for mutual funds is (five thousand Naira) #5,000 but here you are saying 50k. First bank mutual funds is 5k

You are so bothered about inanities.

Do you want to invest less than 50k. Why you so bent on knowing whether it's 5k or 50 as though you wanted to invested less than 50k?

1 Like

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by Pesuzok(m): 3:03pm On Sep 05, 2017
vitality22:

Firstbank minimum opening is 5K while stanbic is 50k.

I will go with stanbic rather than TB because of the liquidity and at the same time I am getting the same returns as in TB

1 Like

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by cooldudeng(m): 10:14pm On Sep 05, 2017
Can someone please help clarify.

Are the rates on the MMF fixed? I believe stanbic also invest in TBs and all. From all indication, TB rates will likely "soften" going my government efforts to reduce cost of borrowing

So, isn't it best to go long and lock my funds in a one year Tbill and work away with c18% as against the monthly computation of the MMF?

Again, are the rates on MMF fixed?
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by imagrg(m): 10:54pm On Sep 05, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

This is a great post. I try to educate naive investors of the magic of compound interest and how to harness that magic via mutual funds. I have done mutual funds for a decade and it's growth majorly surpassed even d high yielding businesses.

We must all be rich!
Chick feed interest compared to when you invest in second hand shoes or clothes trade. You make more than 18k in one month. Banks are robbers. They rob you of your initiative to invest in profit yielding business. They loan your capital out to smart investors at big interest rates while they give you peanuts. Don't fall for their antiques.
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by sabanageorge(f): 6:56am On Sep 06, 2017

3 Likes

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by CuteRedd(f): 6:57am On Sep 06, 2017
sabanageorge:

Be careful with these guys. I have learnt from a reliable source that the profits are not consistent with the market.
pls shed more light shocked
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by sabanageorge(f): 6:58am On Sep 06, 2017

1 Like

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by sabanageorge(f): 7:08am On Sep 06, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by sabanageorge(f): 7:14am On Sep 06, 2017

3 Likes

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by Partnerbiz3: 7:50am On Sep 06, 2017
sabanageorge:

If you take into consideration the compounding nature of the investment, you should have more than 84k.
You mean the daily interest is used to calculate the next day's interest?
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by sabanageorge(f): 12:50pm On Sep 06, 2017

1 Like

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by Partnerbiz3: 1:03pm On Sep 06, 2017
sabanageorge:

The daily interest is added to the principal and this is used to compute next day's interest.
Interesting
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by dotcomnamename: 2:01pm On Sep 06, 2017
chinnyonwu:
Where are my conservative investors, do you know that Stanbic IBTCs Mutual funds is here for you?
No you don't.

This is a great start for very conservative investors. I started here too, but after a while i said Bleep this. Im 25..i have time to take bolder risks. So i pulled 60% of my investment here and went to cryptocurrencies � (remember i didn't pull all, 25 year old people can have BP issues)
I dont know your level of comfort with risk but if your investment priority is safety of your capital, or having near-money, this could be what you need.

I will try to be concise. Feel free to ask for further clarification.

StanbicIBTC is finance company, i'm limiting this to the particular product i invested in-Their money market fund (mmf).
This fund pulls money to invest in money market securities only (FGN treasury bills, commercial papers, bankers acceptance etc), since they pull so much funds, they get better rates than a single individual wouldve been able to get, and also have access to investment vehicles which may not be available to a single individual.
Right now the yield hovers around 18% (per annum).
This means an investment of 100k for 365 days will get you 118k at maturity and around 1500 monthly. Through the app or your portal, you can monitor your daily money growth.

To get started you dont need an account with Stanbic. Simply walk into their bank and tell them you want to invest in StanbicMMF.
A form will be given to you after which you'd receive an email that your account has been opened. Download Stanbic Bank app from your Appstore and login through the mutualFund tab.
Great place to store some money you might need in a short notice.

When i pulled out 60% of my investment (still using the app) , i received CR alert within the day.

Source: https:///c2dx8r

You stated: ''This means an investment of 100k for 365 days will get you 118k at maturity and around 1500 monthly. Through the app or your portal, you can monitor your daily money growth''

But you did not indicate whether 118k is the profit excluding capital of 100k at the end of 365 days. Also can you confirm if the same profit of 118k will be received if the tenor is not up to 365 days i.e 3 month, 6 months. Thank you.
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by chinnyonwu(m): 3:57pm On Sep 06, 2017
dotcomnamename:

You stated: ''This means an investment of 100k for 365 days will get you 118k at maturity and around 1500 monthly. Through the app or your portal, you can monitor your daily money growth''

But you did not indicate whether 118k is the profit excluding capital of 100k at the end of 365 days. Also can you confirm if the same profit of 118k will be received if the tenor is not up to 365 days i.e 3 month, 6 months. Thank you.
I cant confirm if your post is sarcastic or not since my explanation is Very clear but i will reply you.
The interest is 18% yearly. Therefore only 18k out of 118 i quoted is your interest.
If you invest for less than 365days,you will obviously not get interest for 365days.

1 Like

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by chinnyonwu(m): 4:02pm On Sep 06, 2017
cooldudeng:
Can someone please help clarify.

Are the rates on the MMF fixed? I believe stanbic also invest in TBs and all. From all indication, TB rates will likely "soften" going my government efforts to reduce cost of borrowing

So, isn't it best to go long and lock my funds in a one year Tbill and work away with c18% as against the monthly computation of the MMF?

Again, are the rates on MMF fixed?
They are not fixed and so you have a point worthy of consideration. Although personally i love the liquidity of stanbic MMF.
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by chinnyonwu(m): 4:09pm On Sep 06, 2017
sabanageorge:

Though I do Mutual funds, I don't agree with you that the risk is the same. Stanbic can shut down biz tomorrow (though highly unlikely), but it's even more unlikely that FG can shut down govt tomorrow.
I got to understand that stanbic uses UBA as their trustees. Thats why the CR alert when you try to withdraw comes from UBA.
In a way this control reduces the risk of you not getting your money back... Cos the money aint really with them.

1 Like

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by chinnyonwu(m): 4:12pm On Sep 06, 2017
gnykelly:

Lol. Im faar from a marketer. Im a businessman.. Just sharing my investment thoughts on Facebook. Unfortunately nairaland and their bots or admins keep distorting my page link. Its on my signature now though
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by dotcomnamename: 6:32pm On Sep 06, 2017
chinnyonwu:

I cant confirm if your post is sarcastic or not since my explanation is Very clear but i will reply you.
The interest is 18% yearly. Therefore only 18k out of 118 i quoted is your interest.
If you invest for less than 365days,you will obviously not get interest for 365days.

Your assertion is completely wrong. I genuinely asked simple questions to better understand some of your points.

So, i will sit with N18,000 per year on N100,000 invested? if thats what your calculation is, then I'll rather wash plates on nairaland for one year for free than investing N100,000 and get N18,000 as profit for one year grin.. Don't you think that is ridiculous and insult to biz gurus grin?

3 Likes

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by sgtponzihater1(m): 6:54pm On Sep 06, 2017
imagrg:
Chick feed interest compared to when you invest in second hand shoes or clothes trade. You make more than 18k in one month. Banks are robbers. They rob you of your initiative to invest in profit yielding business. They loan your capital out to smart investors at big interest rates while they give you peanuts. Don't fall for their antiques.

I know u as a critic of mine during d GHWW days. I keep saying innovate because u obviously are a neophyte in investments and business. Business and investments while similar are totally different. Low end financial enthusiast involve in either businesses or investments but not the both. But true investors know d magic of doing both. I have some bonds stocks, mutual funds, partnered in people's businesses, have 2 small businesses, and still work. Income make u a living, while profit make u a fortune, investment secures ur future and insurance gives u a voice even when u are away. Anybody involving in Ponzi schemes is definitely too myopic to reason in this light.

Sgt Ponzi Hater.

3 Likes

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by chinnyonwu(m): 7:32pm On Sep 06, 2017
dotcomnamename:

Your assertion is completely wrong. I genuinely asked simple questions to better understand some of your points.

So, i will sit with N18,000 per year on N100,000 invested? if thats what your calculation is, then I'll rather wash plates on nairalder for year for free than investing N100,000 and get N18,000 as profit for one year grin.. Don't you think that is ridiculous and insult to biz gurus grin?
Your cup of tea, not mine. 18% storylesss return is okay for some people
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by dotcomnamename: 8:08pm On Sep 06, 2017
chinnyonwu:

Your cup of tea, not mine. 18% storylesss return is okay for some people

Whos cup of tea? Cant you read again? Are you drunk or you are on drugs?. Kids everywhere.. Mtchewwww. Out of this thread.
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by prince13: 9:23pm On Sep 06, 2017
@OP,I have seen the difference,nothing much with the stanbic mmf and the risk is not worth it,I go with the FG treasury bill.
chinnyonwu:

First of all, im no fund manager. Im simply sharing my investment knowledge.
Secondly, im an accountant and should understand time value of money properly.
Thirdly, let me show you a little calculation that Stanbics MMF beats FGN treasury bills.
If you invest 1m in FGN bills for 6months at 17% interest, you get around 85k interest. You argue This interest is paid upfront so the actual money you invest is 915k. 915k at Stanbic IBTCs MMF will get you around 84k. All in all it's a close call but done forget that..
1) if you invest anything below 6months is FG Tbills, stanbic becomes far better option cos of better rates
2) you can withdraw your cash in stanbic after just 1 month lock period, treasury bills is for the whole duration if not you incur penalty.
3) you can purchase investment in stanbic mmf at any fucking time, not waiting for next auction or waiting for secondary market rates to be available.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by riteprice1: 11:53pm On Sep 06, 2017
No need for all this agruement, why not diversify by doing both Tbills and mmf.
Tbills for long term lets say 1 yr and mmf until when u have need for the invested money.

OP one quick question, how soon will stanbic pay when you decide to terminate the MMF before maturity. I hope no long stories and delay tactics?

Also i learnt banks do discourage the public from Tbills in other to get them to do Fixed deposit which is more profitable for the banks i.e
FD has lower interest rate and banks can use your money for Tbills, make big profit and then give you peanuts on FD.

MMF is very similar to Fixed deposit, but comes with higher interest. It seems to good to be true, Unless.. wink

stanbic has a way of making more money via MMF. Can u help us with stanbic fees, hidden charges, tax on interest etc.
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by riteprice1: 11:56pm On Sep 06, 2017
dotcomnamename:

So, i will sit with N18,000 per year on N100,000 invested? if thats what your calculation is, then I'll rather wash plates on nairalder for year for free than investing N100,000 and get N18,000 as profit for one year grin.. Don't you think that is ridiculous and insult to biz gurus grin?

Oga if u have any good business one can invest 100k and get returns with no story kindly tell us.

I have come to realize that many profitable businesses in Nigeria you thing are doing well cut corners.
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by CuteRedd(f): 6:50am On Sep 07, 2017
Please who can tell me about Stanbic IBTC GUARANTEED INVESTMENT FUNDS, does anyone have any investment in this vehicle and what's are their rates.

From my findings, they capital is guaranteed while the invest 75% in fixed funds(Tbills, bonds etc) and 25% in equities(NSE market)
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by Partnerbiz3: 3:09pm On Sep 07, 2017
chinnyonwu:

First, with stanbic even for a 1 month duration investment i can enjoy same rates people achieve on 365 day investment.
Secondly, i dont know how many more investments you can buy as an individual.. Have you bought commercial papers before? Bankers acceptances?

Please what's the current rate of stanbic mmf.

Again, if I invest say 1 million in T bills for 365 days at say 18% and I terminate after 60 days, what's likely to be my penalty?
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by sgtponzihater1(m): 3:13pm On Sep 07, 2017
many of these guys don't know jack about investments and unfortunately don't want to learn.

3 Likes

Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by chinnyonwu(m): 3:50pm On Sep 07, 2017
Partnerbiz3:

Please what's the current rate of stanbic mmf.

Again, if I invest say 1 million in T bills for 365 days at say 18% and I terminate after 60 days, what's likely to be my penalty?
18.5%
No penalty for termination after 30days
Re: Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? by Partnerbiz3: 4:05pm On Sep 07, 2017
chinnyonwu:

18.5%
No penalty for termination after 30days

Ok thanks.

Do you know about this

If I invest say 1 million in T bills for 365 days at say 18% and I terminate after 60 days, what's likely to be my penalty?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chaka Receives SEC License For Stock Trading In Nigeria / My Friend Lost His House Rent To MMM. He Has Been Evicted !! / DAAR Communications Shares

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.