Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,568 members, 7,801,620 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:32 PM

Is This Gear Oil Good? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is This Gear Oil Good? (2287 Views)

Help Me Explain This Gear Automatic System / Is Visco 2000 Engine Oil Good For Es 330 Oil..? / Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Gear Oil Good? by Mist100: 9:32pm On Sep 03, 2017
I recently changed the gear oil in my Honda accord 05 with pertamina ATF when I couldn't
lay my hands on the honda ATF DW1. Does anyone have any experience with this ATF ?

Re: Is This Gear Oil Good? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Sep 03, 2017
Drain as soon as u get ur hands on DW-1. If its dextron 3 it can be used temporarily
Re: Is This Gear Oil Good? by Mist100: 11:11pm On Sep 03, 2017
greenhulk:
Drain as soon as u get ur hands on DW-1. If its dextron 3 it can be used temporarily

Thanks
Re: Is This Gear Oil Good? by timifakay(m): 12:07am On Sep 04, 2017
You opened a thread relating to this one before...
By the way, what's your location?
Re: Is This Gear Oil Good? by honmusa(m): 6:50am On Sep 04, 2017
Mist100:
I recently changed the gear oil in my Honda accord 05 with pertamina ATF when I couldn't
lay my hands on the honda ATF DW1. Does anyone have any experience with this ATF ?
Dextron 3 for Honda tx .This is medicine after death.Why not ask before using it .

1 Like

Re: Is This Gear Oil Good? by thebigkendo(m): 7:09am On Sep 04, 2017
honmusa:

Dextron 3 for Honda tx .This is medicine after death.Why not ask before using it .

He asked oh.. but still went against all the advice given, Penny wise..Pound..............
https://www.nairaland.com/4029197/choice-gear-oil
Re: Is This Gear Oil Good? by bravolad(m): 7:20am On Sep 04, 2017
thebigkendo:

He asked oh.. but still went against all the advice given, Penny wise..Pound..............

I have discovered that most people seek advice but do not adhere to such advise. They are quick to abandon the same advise they sought. I wonder why coming to ask for help only to do exact same thing you are cautioned against.

A friend's thermostat was yanked off by the car killing mechanics (kazeem) and he asked me what I think he should do. I told him to replace thermostat with exact same specs & run coolant but he didn't listen; now top gasket is blown & he still needs my advise...SMH.
Re: Is This Gear Oil Good? by honmusa(m): 7:21am On Sep 04, 2017
thebigkendo:

Then he shd be ready to face the consequence then !!
Re: Is This Gear Oil Good? by honmusa(m): 7:27am On Sep 04, 2017
bravolad:

I have discovered that most people seek advice but do not adhere to such advise. They are quick to abandon the same advise they sought. I wonder why coming to ask for help only to do exact same thing you are cautioned against.

A friend's thermostat was yanked off by the car killing mechanics (kazeem) and he asked me what I think he should do. I told him to replace thermostat with exact same specs & run coolant but he didn't listen; now top gasket is blown & he still needs my advise...SMH.
It is not ordinary o ,it is his kazeem at work cos he need money to finish his third house before xmas!!!
Re: Is This Gear Oil Good? by thebigkendo(m): 9:46am On Sep 04, 2017
bravolad:

hahahaha i get your point but your friend's car was probably already overheating..Kazeem's solution to the overheating was removing the thermostat(& i guess connecting the rad fan directly)... Removal of thermostat will not cause overheating & blow the top gasket..... If he had followed your advice and replace the thermostat without solving the overheating, his top gasket might have blown earlier and he might have blamed you

4 Likes

Re: Is This Gear Oil Good? by thebigkendo(m): 9:53am On Sep 04, 2017
honmusa:

It is not ordinary o ,it is his kazeem at work cos he need money to finish his third house before xmas!!!

Hahahaha Oga as a professional Kazeem, how many houses you don finish?
Re: Is This Gear Oil Good? by Mist100: 10:07am On Sep 04, 2017
honmusa:

The ATF had already been used before I came to ask because I was stranded somewhere and had no choice.

I only wanted to know if anyone has used this before. If their experience after usage is bad then I would drain this until I get the required ATF.
Re: Is This Gear Oil Good? by Mist100: 10:10am On Sep 04, 2017
The same mechanic who recommended this condemned the usage of Holts. This one has dextron III on it.
Re: Is This Gear Oil Good? by timifakay(m): 10:11am On Sep 04, 2017
Alot of people 'seeking advice' already know what they will do, they only want to seek opinions or validation for the sake of it before carrying out their decision.
Re: Is This Gear Oil Good? by timifakay(m): 10:15am On Sep 04, 2017
Mist100:
The same mechanic who recommended this condemned the usage of Holts. This one has dextron III on it.

Both this one and Holt are Dextron3
Your car uses DW1
Your first topic was you asking for recommendations, people told your DW1, You eventually used Dextron3

Modified
First thread was created September 2, 2017. 7:50pm. Second thread was created September 3, 2017. 9:32pm
Are you saying you already changed the ATF before creating both threads?

Anyway, whether good or bad, it is not recommended for your car.
What's your location?
Re: Is This Gear Oil Good? by Mist100: 10:16am On Sep 04, 2017
bravolad:

Bros chill. like I stated earlier I had used this when I needed to get out of a situation ASAP. On a second thought I wanted to know from peoples experience if continued usage will harm my tyranny or not.
Re: Is This Gear Oil Good? by Nobody: 11:29am On Sep 04, 2017
honmusa:

It can be used temporarily. Even Honda recommend it should dw1 not be readily available and to drain as soon as dw1 is sourced.
Re: Is This Gear Oil Good? by Nobody: 11:33am On Sep 04, 2017
Mist100:

The ATF had already been used before I came to ask because I was stranded somewhere and had no choice.

I only wanted to know if anyone has used this before. If their experience after usage is bad then I would drain this until I get the required ATF.

Oga don't mind all these ITK. If u are stranded and have no way of getting dw1 then use dextron 3 temporarily. It's there in Honda user manual.

The picture below is from ur car's user manual.

1 Like

Re: Is This Gear Oil Good? by nurey(m): 12:39am On Sep 05, 2017
greenhulk:

Oga don't mind all these ITK. If u are stranded and have no way of getting dw1 then use dextron 3 temporarily. It's there in Honda user manual.

The picture below is from ur car's user manual.

1. Honda gears are very delicate, if changing ATF, a reliable compromise should be done.

2. Even if you decide to use dextron 3 use a reliable brand product not junk

3. Dextron 3 in the market has been replaced by dextron 6, as at 2005,dextron 3 produced cannot be guaranteed again.

4. I won't use dextron 3 on any Japanese vehicle pass year 2000, I won't even put it near a German or American brand closer to year 2000

5. A dextron 3 in a gear that has worked tirelessly and is on its extra life, most engines can take abuse and built to last not same for vehicle gear.

I think you need to apologize for calling people ITK and refrain from telling op to pour any unsolicited fluid into delicate mechanical parts
Re: Is This Gear Oil Good? by Nobody: 9:40am On Sep 05, 2017
nurey:

I think you need to apologize for calling people ITK and refrain from telling op to pour any unsolicited fluid into delicate mechanical parts

I ain't apologising to nobody. U obviously got me wrong. For the records I'm currently on my 3rd Honda and I've never used any other ATF other than z1 for my first Honda and dw-1 for my other 2. Yes I take care of my cars.

But picture this scenerrio, u r in some place where u don't have access to dw-1 and maybe due to some reasons u lost the ATF in ur car. R u gonna just leave the car there and start looking for dw-1? U can use dextron 3 to get out of that situation and then drain and replace with dw-1 as soon as possible. I never adviced anyone to use unsolicited fluid.

1 Like

Re: Is This Gear Oil Good? by Mist100: 1:50pm On Sep 05, 2017
greenhulk:

I ain't apologising to nobody. U obviously got me wrong. For the records I'm currently on my 3rd Honda and I've never used any other ATF other than z1 for my first Honda and dw-1 for my other 2. Yes I take care of my cars.

But picture this scenerrio, u r in some place where u don't have access to dw-1 and maybe due to some reasons u lost the ATF in ur car. R u gonna just leave the car there and start looking for dw-1? U can use dextron 3 to get out of that situation and then drain and replace with dw-1 as soon as possible. I never adviced anyone to use unsolicited fluid.

Bro you don't need to take that statement to heart. Everyone has differences as well as views. I'm sure no harm was meant.
Re: Is This Gear Oil Good? by diportivo: 8:12pm On Sep 05, 2017
Mist100:

Bros chill. like I stated earlier I had used this when I needed to get out of a situation ASAP. On a second thought I wanted to know from peoples experience if continued usage will harm my tyranny or not.

na wa o

so ITK ppl dey here

people sha undecided

op has stated that he wants to know the experience users of the said oil has and den use the info to decide weda to drain or not...

this simply means he isnt interested in using it as a "get out of a difficult situation'' oil

therefore,those calling for dw1 are very right

by the time u start feeling the effect of the oil,anoda gearbox wld av been loading already grin

(1) (Reply)

Warning!!!!- (harness Canibalism) / Sienna Engine Price / Apprentices To Be PAID Wanted!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.