Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,204 members, 7,807,688 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:31 PM

10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing (24776 Views)

52 Transition Words And Phrases To Keep Your Writing Whole And Well Knit. / 5 Books To Sharpen Your Writing Skill In 2020 / Earn Extra With Your Writing Skills On Social Media. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Nobody: 4:11pm On Sep 04, 2017
There is nothing as embarrassing as being ignorantly confident in error. You may have, on one or two instances, be posing off with some words/phrases, not knowing you’re deep in the pool of mistake; they’re non-existing phrases.

There could make you fell terribly bad after crafting out a ‘beautiful’ post around an idea.

Embarrassing? Jaw-dropping ? You do the job. Use whatever words suits you, my dear. You’re at liberty!

After observing conversations and reading through piles of texts, I found out that you, like many others, could have used these wrong, rather non-existing phrases:

Plumby:
Chances are that you’ve used this word to paint your friend who has some lump of flesh attached to his frame. Maybe I would forgive you because it is “Nigerian English.”

There is no need adding “y” to plumb when referring to that friend who has some fleshy meat glued to his bony structure.

Wrong: George’s girlfriend’s not plumby.

Right: George’s girlfriend’s not chubby/plumb.

Complimentary Card
“I’ll send give him my complimentary card“. That’s a wrong way to tell someone you’ll give him your BUSINESS CARD.

If you use complimentary, it means that you’re giving out a free copy of your product.

That informs why you have “COMPLIMENTARY COPY,” used as a promotional device by intellectual property owners.

Wrong: I gave Uche my complimentary card.

Right: I gave Uche my business card.

Delta citizen/indigenes
This one has been popularised by the media but some principalities in high places say that “indigene” is not an English word.

I was wondering, when I read “Delta citizens” in the news the other time, if my state had finally gotten independence and became a country.

Never say: “Delta citizens” since Delta is not a country or Delta indigenes.

Wrong: Delta state indigenes/citizens have been largely peaceful amidst the economic Kung Fu.

Right: Delta state natives have been largely peaceful amidst the economic Kung Fu.

4: Poke Nose

I know you used to tell your neighbour not to poke nose into your affairs again. But unku, it’s actually poke your nose into your affairs.

Wrong: Stop poke nosing into my affairs, biko!

Right: Don’t poke your nose into my affairs, e jor!

Luxurious Bus
Trust me, I heard and used this confidently while growing up until the scales fell off my eyes.

Nigerians use it to describe a large bus which can take in more persons than the normal bus.

Wrong: I took a luxurious Bus to Ikeja on Saturday.

Right: I took a luxury bus to Ikeja today.

Comity of Nation
If you’re a politically inclined person, you know that this is used in reference to the gathering of nations.

However, that is a wrong judgement of the phrase. Comity of nation is the respect countries have for one another.

Wrong: Nigeria is envied in the comity of nations.

Right: Nigeria is envied in the community of nations.

Barbing Salon.
No much talk on this as there is no word as “barbing” in that context.

Wrong: I went to the barbing salon.

Right: I went to the hair salon.

Screen touch
In this digital age, you may have been guilty of using it to describe a mobile device that responds to touch.

However, that’s wrong. See how to use it:

Wrong: My phone is a screen touch.

Right: My phone is touch screen.

PS: Some dictionaries cum authorities in the language disagree with some of these ‘non-existing phrases. However, you could make do of them in ‘non-standard’ usage.

http://theflowingink.com/10-embarrassingly-non-existing-phrases-hurting-writing/

47 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Florblu(f): 4:19pm On Sep 04, 2017
Thank you.
Looking for who will make misuse those words I can't wait to flaunt my newly learnt English

34 Likes

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Nasa28(m): 4:20pm On Sep 04, 2017
Lesson learnt smiley

2 Likes

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Nasa28(m): 4:21pm On Sep 04, 2017
Florblu:
Thank you.

Looking for who will make misuse those words
I can't wait to flaunt my newly learnt English

Come over here grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 04, 2017
Florblu:
Thank you.

Florblu:
Thank you.

Florblu:
Thank you.

Great to hear that from you.

1 Like

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Addicted2Women: 7:06am On Sep 06, 2017

Only uneducated blokes and slay girls should be on this thread.

What educated person uses words like poke, complimentary cards and screen touch ??

12 Likes

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by rayobaba(m): 7:06am On Sep 06, 2017
Longevity
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Nobody: 7:07am On Sep 06, 2017
To the enemies of progress......

Don’t poke your nose into my affairs anymore , abeg I!

11 Likes

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by soberdrunk(m): 7:07am On Sep 06, 2017
Teacher teach me some sense......
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Nobody: 7:09am On Sep 06, 2017
I seriously doubt if Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Dangote, Zuckerberg and Co know this.
Now take a look at majority of those who know this information, I am sure that you will be forced to agree with me that the basic importance of language is to pass your message across.

Sha pass your message across.
That is the koko

17 Likes

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by steveyoungwealth: 7:09am On Sep 06, 2017
sad
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by WeirdoNg: 7:09am On Sep 06, 2017
angry
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by eleojo23: 7:10am On Sep 06, 2017
I only learnt one new phrase from your writeup "Economic kungfu" grin

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by elfico(m): 7:11am On Sep 06, 2017
just checked a dictionary and found indigene.@op

6 Likes

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Captain6(m): 7:12am On Sep 06, 2017
Thanks
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by MuyiRano(m): 7:12am On Sep 06, 2017
thanks.
Noted
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Abudu2000(m): 7:13am On Sep 06, 2017
As an engineer do i really have to care? cheesy
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by confy22: 7:16am On Sep 06, 2017
Nairaland English week! Op it's plump not plumb. One can as well, use 'barber shop' in place of 'hair salon'

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by ModusOperandi(f): 7:18am On Sep 06, 2017
there's one they use:

Fanimorous to mean attractive, but it actually originated from the Yoruba word "fanimora"

7 Likes

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by barbiesparkz2(f): 7:19am On Sep 06, 2017
Emmykego:

Delta citizen/indigenes
This one has been popularised by the media but some principalities in high places say that “indigene” is not an English word.

I was wondering, when I read “Delta citizens” in the news the other time, if my state had finally gotten independence and became a country.

Wrong: Delta state indigenes/citizens have been largely peaceful amidst the economic Kung Fu.

Right: Delta state natives have been largely peaceful amidst the economic Kung Fu.

Indigene is an English word.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/indigene

11 Likes

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by excel4us: 7:20am On Sep 06, 2017
interesting and educating.thanks op
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Only1mi(f): 7:20am On Sep 06, 2017
I'm not sure about this write up oh, to begin with its plump not plumb.

12 Likes

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by nice360: 7:21am On Sep 06, 2017
Nice one OP
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by kygo(m): 7:27am On Sep 06, 2017
There are a stream of girls these days. . .if Ada refuses to give you her number,Halima on her part is willing to blow you for free.

1 Like

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by harpahrah(m): 7:27am On Sep 06, 2017
eleojo23:
I only learnt one new phrase from your writeup "Economic kungfu" grin

So I'm not the only one on this.....I got confused
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by AlanSugar(m): 7:30am On Sep 06, 2017
Op, be very careful! I stopped reading @ indigene.

13 Likes

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Mavrick2012: 7:33am On Sep 06, 2017
@op and other English gurus in the house, how about
"behind my back"?
Hit or miss?
eg they gossip me behind my back
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by MrScribe: 7:36am On Sep 06, 2017
Emmykego:

There is nothing as embarrassing as being ignorantly confident in error. You may have, on one or two instances, be posing off with some words/phrases, not knowing you’re deep in the pool of mistake; they’re non-existing phrases.

There could make you fell terribly bad after crafting out a ‘beautiful’ post around an idea.

Embarrassing? Jaw-dropping ? You do the job. Use whatever words suits you, my dear. You’re at liberty!

After observing conversations and reading through piles of texts, I found out that you, like many others, could have used these wrong, rather non-existing phrases:

Plumby:
Chances are that you’ve used this word to paint your friend who has some lump of flesh attached to his frame. Maybe I would forgive you because it is “Nigerian English.”

There is no need adding “y” to plumb when referring to that friend who has some fleshy meat glued to his bony structure.

Wrong: George’s girlfriend’s not plumby.

Right: George’s girlfriend’s not chubby/plumb.

Complimentary Card
“I’ll send give him my complimentary card“. That’s a wrong way to tell someone you’ll give him your BUSINESS CARD.

If you use complimentary, it means that you’re giving out a free copy of your product.

That informs why you have “COMPLIMENTARY COPY,” used as a promotional device by intellectual property owners.

Wrong: I gave Uche my complimentary card.

Right: I gave Uche my business card.

Delta citizen/indigenes

4: Poke Nose

I know you used to tell your neighbour not to poke nose into your affairs again. But unku, it’s actually poke your nose into your affairs.

Wrong: Stop poke nosing into my affairs, biko!

Right: Don’t poke your nose into my affairs, e jor!

Luxurious Bus
Trust me, I heard and used this confidently while growing up until the scales fell off my eyes.

Nigerians use it to describe a large bus which can take in more persons than the normal bus.

Wrong: I took a luxurious Bus to Ikeja on Saturday.

Right: I took a luxury bus to Ikeja today.

Comity of Nation
If you’re a politically inclined person, you know that this is used in reference to the gathering of nations.

However, that is a wrong judgement of the phrase. Comity of nation is the respect countries have for one another.

Wrong: Nigeria is envied in the comity of nations.

Right: Nigeria is envied in the community of nations.

Barbing Salon.
No much talk on this as there is no word as “barbing” in that context.

Wrong: I went to the barbing salon.

Right: I went to the hair salon.

Screen touch
In this digital age, you may have been guilty of using it to describe a mobile device that responds to touch.

However, that’s wrong. See how to use it:

Wrong: My phone is a screen touch.

Right: My phone is touch screen.

PS: Some dictionaries cum authorities in the language disagree with some of these ‘non-existing phrases. However, you could make do of them in ‘non-standard’ usage.

http://theflowingink.com/10-embarrassingly-non-existing-phrases-hurting-writing/

I disagree with "indigene" being a wrong word. Indigene is just as apt a word as "native".

8 Likes

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by olowobaba10: 7:39am On Sep 06, 2017
PROFESSOR GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT BEFORE POSTING, YOU ARE WRONG IN MANY POINTS HERE STARTING FROM NO 1, DO YOU MEAN PLUMB OR PLUMP?

18 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Husband & 1 (18+) / Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle / LOVESTRUCK - A Campus Love Story. By Demsid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.