Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,521 members, 7,801,435 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:10 PM

Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? (24719 Views)

Say Good Bye To Acne, Blemishes And Shaving Bumps. / Be Fresh Looking. Tips On How To Say Bye To Shaving Bumps. / Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by danderson(f): 10:29am On Feb 14, 2007
Guys,

Please i will need youy advice on the best approach to cure my shaving bumps and maintain a smooth good looking face.I  have also observed that my hair are very hard and curly when the starts coming hence percing my skin to cause bump.

Regards
Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by danderson(f): 1:45pm On Feb 22, 2007
Hey guy,
You have to help me out with your solutions for those shiny,soft sweet looking cheecks. embarassed
Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by Nobody: 12:38am On Feb 24, 2007
What kind of shaving kit do you use? I started using a clipper when i was younger but an uncle of mine advised i get used to using a normal shaving blade early enough. I realised it would cause serious facial bumps, after a yr of sorrow i went back to using my dear old clipper, the bumps cleared up and my skin is back to normal again.
Never ever will i use shaving blades again.
Find what goes best with your skin and stick with it.

Get a strong anti-bump cream and use it religiously, do not pick your bumps it only makes things worse.
I also think you have a problem with ingrown hairs. wash your face with warm soapy water to soften your face before shaving. Use a good shave cream and apply a good bump cream or aftershave.
Shave everyday to avoid having ur ingrown hairs give u more bumps.
Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by 1forall: 1:24am On Feb 24, 2007
Like david said, find whats good for your skin and stick to it. Before you do anything, have a patient friend (prefereably one with a beard) help pick out the ingrown hairs in each one of your bumps with a good pair of tweezers, it works! If the hairs can be picked out with their roots, the bumps simply disappear! Thats the best cure for the stubborn, old bumps.

Ive tried so many things but found Bumpstopper (anti-bump cream) most effective, use sparingly though lest your skin get resistant to it over time.
Theres Bumpstopper, and theres Bumpstopper 2. Start with the regular one and see how it works before graduating.

For as long as you can, always wash your face before you sleep, best with a face wash but soap isnt bad either.

Shave regularly, at worst every 2-day interval, a bushy beard leads to nothing but bumps for someone with your kind of hair.

Avoid alcohol based aftershave (may be just stay away from aftershave entirely), it stings your skin when you apply it and seals your pores when it dries which blocks the hairs when they start to grow, that leads to more bumps! (my experience).
Best just to apply baby oil slightly after a shave.

Hope that helps, with best wishes.
Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by Nobody: 5:15am On Feb 24, 2007
depends on your kind of skin though. Be careful when using anti bump creams, most of them will leave you with severe dry skin if you use them too often. use at night before you go to bed AFTER washing your face with warm soapy water.
Aftershaves are excellent for me, they dont cause any problems and they leave my skin soft and smooth, you can try it and see if it works for you.

Like the first poster said, the key is to shave REGULARLY because of the nature of your ingrown hairs. I find if i dont shave after 4-5 days it begins to itch and i might get a bump or two.
Find what works for your skin and stick to it.
Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by danderson(f): 1:46pm On Feb 24, 2007
A lot of thanks to you guys but which bump cream will match my case since the upjoln brabd of neo medro is no longer sold in the Market.

Thanks really b/cos these bumps makes me uneccessarily sad.
Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Feb 24, 2007
try the bump stopper 1forall recommended. i heard it works very well.
Neo medrol used to work well until your skin got used to it and then it stopped working.
Stop using whatever gives u the bumps and use the bump stopper religiously morning and night.
Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by 1forall: 2:05am On Feb 25, 2007
Chikena! lipsrsealed
Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by danderson(f): 5:32pm On Feb 25, 2007
Thanks a lot guys.I'll go fetch both bumbstoppers.

Regards
Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by teemine(f): 11:55pm On Mar 25, 2007
Try a very good after shave. It helps prevent bumps
Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by naijafresh: 12:23pm On Apr 05, 2007
Razor bumps or shaving bumps are common in people of African extraction

Due to the nature of African hair, hard and curly; a very close smooth shave cuts the hair just below the follicle.
The bumps are caused when the hair instead of growing straight out like it would with straight hair grows into the side of the follicle or root
This causes local irritation and a bump which is actually an ingrown hair buried inside the skin. In extreme cases this can lead to a small abscess forming and scar formation with repeated infection. This obviously leads to facial disfiguration

Cures
1. Stop Shaving
2. Do not shave too close, IE electric shave rather than extra smooth close Gillette shave
3. Exfoliation soon after shave with mild exfoliants to lift the hair out of the follicle and off the skin too
4. Use special razors designed not too shave too close but still do the jobdesigned for African people Wahl do one
5. Try to keeo the skin clean before a shave, wash lightly with mild cleanser and pat dry to reduce chances of skin infections ( you may need to wait sometime before actually shaving this depends on hair type)

These measures are not foolproof but they work for most people

Bottomline is as an African if you don't want unsightly bumps don't shave very close and exfoliate regularly

1 Like

Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by ayooluwapo: 5:43pm On Apr 26, 2007
pls i had a cut recently only to discover tha i hv bumps at the back of my head it is really embarassing.anybody in the house that can help me wit wat to use would be doin me a great deal of favour pls help a broda in need.
Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by BUMPDOC: 11:26pm On Oct 09, 2007
You should first heal the existing bumps [shaving bumps] before shaving again. If you shave over your inflamed skin - the condition will get worse.

You should get the BUMP ZAPPER Severe Bumps Kit [from BREEJ Technologies - www.bumpzapper.com] available online @ CVS.com or @ Bumpzapper.com. The product will resolve your problem in 24 - 48 hours.

Once you irritation is gone you can resume shaving. After shaving, apply the BUMP ZAPPER HEALING LOTION to the shaved area.
Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by tomX1(m): 6:41pm On Oct 11, 2007
Well according to a Men's Health article, in-grown hairs, one of the most common cause of bumps, results when one shaves against the natural growth direction of ones beards. If your beards grow downwards, you should typicaly stroke downwards with your shaving stick. Nonetheless, you may come across some renegade beards that grow in all conciveable directions (tough luck).
These in-grown hairs pierce into your skin (yes human hair is actualy tougher than copper wires of egual thichness) and cause local irritation to your skin. This results in a bump at the point of irritation.

My strategy for combating razor bumps is to deal with it in two stages.
1) Identify the problem and eliminate it:
a. stop shaving for about two days to let your beards sprout a little.
b. arm yourself with a shaving mirror, a pin and a tweezer.
c. use your mirror to look closely at each bump and note the ingrown hair running across the surface (it should look like a thin black depresion on the bump)
d. use the point of your pin to gently lift the hair up. This should remove the tip from your skin. Use your tweezer to pull it off from the root.
e. do the same for all bumps on your mug, then wash your face with hot water to help open up your pores.
f. shave with new and sharp razor. remember to shave in the direction of your growth.
g. treat your face with good anti-bump lotions or creams. I recomment Neo-Medrol (watch out for imitations such as new-medrol, nu-medrol etc.).
2) Discourage any resurgence:
a. always shave regularly with a sharp and clean razor (stroking in the direction of your growth). Atleast once a day is recommended.
b. use a good aftershave if you must. choose something to match your skin type.
c. any bump that may appear as a result of those afore-mentioned renegade hairs that go against the normal growth patern should be dealt with as outlined in step 1b-1g above.

Good luck

1 Like

Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by Ndipe(m): 11:49pm On Oct 26, 2007
One recommendation, use an electric clipper instead of a razor blade. The downside is that you will be shaving almost daily if you want to maintain a clean cut look, but hey, it is a better alternative to the social embarrasement of spoting shaving bumps. There is a cream developed by Dr. Moore, a black demartologist which I used and recommended to a friend that also worked for him. Just google "Dr Moore shaving" to get a better idea on what to order.
Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by Geoforever(f): 12:57am On Apr 13, 2010
lets do dis with less amount and i assure u dat no such re-occuring.call me on 08035151554
Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by nikkyshyne(f): 10:09pm On Sep 29, 2012
Guyz, try applying Aleo vera gel directly as soon as you shave. Works like MAGGIC! Thank me later.
Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by billtommy(m): 10:42am On Oct 06, 2012
Does aloe vera juice really work?
Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by laurend1985(f): 6:56pm On Oct 06, 2012
Don't use this

Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by laurend1985(f): 6:58pm On Oct 06, 2012
Use this and it doesn't give my husband trouble because it doesn't shave as close.

Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by billtommy(m): 11:40pm On Oct 07, 2012
laurend1985: Use this and it doesn't give my husband trouble because it doesn't shave as close.

Thanks you're highly appreciated, do you know how I can get that? For how much? Does it cut head hair too?
Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by laurend1985(f): 12:40am On Oct 08, 2012
billtommy:
Thanks you're highly appreciated, do you know how I can get that? For how much? Does it cut head hair too?

I don't think they ship to Nigeria but it can be found in Europe, South Africa, The U.S. Do you have friends in the states that can buy and bring it with them back home? It cuts hair also.

http://wahlhomeproducts.com/
Re: Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? by billtommy(m): 6:29pm On Oct 08, 2012
laurend1985:

I don't think they ship to Nigeria but it can be found in Europe, South Africa, The U.S. Do you have friends in the states that can buy and bring it with them back home? It cuts hair also.

http://wahlhomeproducts.com/

From what I see on their site,they only ship to the states or canada, unfair

(1) (Reply)

3 Health Benefits Of Guguru And Groundnut To Men (a Natural Man Power Food) / Who Can Help With The Most Effective Medicine For Intestinal Worms? / Bayelsa’s 7 Monkey Pox Patients Discharged From Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.