Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,709 members, 7,805,909 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:22 AM

After Designing A Static Website From Scratch, How Do I Add CMS? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / After Designing A Static Website From Scratch, How Do I Add CMS? (931 Views)

Can A Static Site Be Effectively Monetized / Does Your Business Need More Than A Static Website? / Get A Stunning Website From Us And Receive Money In Naira, US Dollars And Pounds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

After Designing A Static Website From Scratch, How Do I Add CMS? by LOSKYXANDER: 1:29pm On Sep 05, 2017
I am a web designer (I'm not an expert yet). I just completed my first project. it's a blog with home page, about me and contact me. That's just 3 pages. I am self taught by the way. If I am to sell this blog to a client that does not know anything about coding. How do I make it possible for him or her to be able to easily create/edit blog posts including pictures, place adverts on the blog etc. In simple terms, how can I make it possible for my client to have a dashboard where he or she can have control over the blog without having to code. Thanks
Re: After Designing A Static Website From Scratch, How Do I Add CMS? by hostkobo(m): 1:40pm On Sep 05, 2017
LOSKYXANDER:
I am a web designer (I'm not an expert yet). I just completed my first project. it's a blog with home page, about me and contact me. That's just 3 pages. I am self taught by the way. If I am to sell this blog to a client that does not know anything about coding. How do I make it possible for him or her to be able to easily create/edit blog posts including pictures, place adverts on the blog etc. In simple terms, how can I make it possible for my client to have a dashboard where he or she can have control over the blog without having to code. Thanks

Hi there,

let us assume your project home page is at projecthomepage.com. Install wordpress in a folder, for ex: blog; thus it can be accessed as follows: projecthomepage.com/blog.

Rather than spending time re-inventing the wheel, spending a lot of time trying to get around databases, accessing the database, updating, deleting, etc, security; you can pick up a CMS such as wordpress, joomla, drupal, study the publicly available code, and customize it to your own fancy, package it up and launch for your customer.

regards
HK
Re: After Designing A Static Website From Scratch, How Do I Add CMS? by LOSKYXANDER: 2:06pm On Sep 05, 2017
hostkobo:

Hi there,

let us assume your project home page is at projecthomepage.com. Install wordpress in a folder, for ex: blog; thus it can be accessed as follows: projecthomepage.com/blog.

do you mean a folder in my laptop, that is before I even host the site? Please guide me on a step by step approach on how to go about it, I'm confused. thanks
Re: After Designing A Static Website From Scratch, How Do I Add CMS? by DualCore1: 2:42pm On Sep 05, 2017
hostkobo:

Hi there,

Rather than spending time re-inventing the wheel, spending a lot of time trying to get around databases, accessing the database, updating, deleting, etc, security; you can pick up a CMS such as wordpress, joomla, drupal, study the publicly available code, and customize it to your own fancy, package it up and launch for your customer.

regards
HK
This is how we will keep producing Wordpress/Joomla installers (drag and drop "web designers" ) who will fight tooth and nail for very useless 15,000 Naira websites and the rest of the world will keep on producing web developers who will earn (remotely) a minimum of $15 per hour in a 40-hour week or even go a step further to be freelance full stack developers.
Re: After Designing A Static Website From Scratch, How Do I Add CMS? by excanny: 3:37pm On Sep 05, 2017
All these noobs sef, we way be pro, no dey even attempt create CMS from scratch. grin
Re: After Designing A Static Website From Scratch, How Do I Add CMS? by excanny: 3:42pm On Sep 05, 2017
DualCore1:

This is how we will keep producing Wordpress/Joomla installers (drag and drop "web designers" ) who will fight tooth and nail for very useless 15,000 Naira websites and the rest of the world will keep on producing web developers who will earn (remotely) a minimum of $15 per hour in a 40-hour week or even go a step further to be freelance full stack developers.

His attempt is commendable. But your knowledge skill should be past beginner level before attempting to create CMS, these kinds of simple questions would be unnecessary.
Re: After Designing A Static Website From Scratch, How Do I Add CMS? by LOSKYXANDER: 5:47pm On Sep 05, 2017
I only know html, css and a bit of JavaScript. Like I said, I'm learning on my own. Perhaps if I was taught by someone I would have known better about CMS. You guys should please help me out!!
Re: After Designing A Static Website From Scratch, How Do I Add CMS? by DualCore1: 8:34pm On Sep 05, 2017
excanny:

His attempt is commendable. But your knowledge skill should be past beginner level before attempting to create CMS, these kinds of simple questions would be unnecessary.

When you say "his attempt is commendable" I'm assuming you are talking about the OP. Yes I agree it is commendable and I have no problems with that, the fact that he believes in teaching himself and understands he is on a learning path is the right direction to be going.

Maybe there is confusion because I just quoted hostkobo in the entirety of his post and responded. This is the problem I see with Hostkobo's post

hostkobo:

Rather than spending time re-inventing the wheel, spending a lot of time trying to get around databases, accessing the database, updating, deleting, etc, security;

Discouraging the OP from going through the fundamentals of web development, in my opinion is not advisable. Learning the fundamental of any programming language or technology is not reinventing the wheel.

From this OP's opening statements, he is trying to make a career out of web design and development and I think he should be grounded in the fundamentals before going on to other things.

The following supplementary information will help anyone on the path to becoming a professional web developer.
https://usersnap.com/blog/how-to-become-a-full-stack-developer/
https://www.sokanu.com/careers/full-stack-developer/how-to-become/
https://medium.freecodecamp.org/the-practical-guide-to-becoming-a-professional-web-developer-2f255bc25c90
https://medium.com/coderbyte/a-guide-to-becoming-a-full-stack-developer-in-2017-5c3c08a1600c

1 Like

Re: After Designing A Static Website From Scratch, How Do I Add CMS? by etoluw: 9:22pm On Sep 05, 2017
LOSKYXANDER:
I only know html, css and a bit of JavaScript. Like I said, I'm learning on my own. Perhaps if I was taught by someone I would have known better about CMS. You guys should please help me out!!

if u are ready i will teach you how to convert your site into a wordpress theme.
but u will have to learn the basic PHP
Re: After Designing A Static Website From Scratch, How Do I Add CMS? by LOSKYXANDER: 9:32pm On Sep 05, 2017
etoluw:

if u are ready i will teach you how to convert your site into a wordpress theme.
but u will have to learn the basic PHP
I just started learning PHP
Re: After Designing A Static Website From Scratch, How Do I Add CMS? by etoluw: 6:30am On Sep 06, 2017
LOSKYXANDER:
if i av ur whatsapp no i can send some u some good ebooks on PHP
Re: After Designing A Static Website From Scratch, How Do I Add CMS? by etoluw: 6:30am On Sep 06, 2017
LOSKYXANDER:
Re: After Designing A Static Website From Scratch, How Do I Add CMS? by LOSKYXANDER: 7:37am On Sep 06, 2017
etoluw:

I just sent you a PM. Pls check your email. thanks
Re: After Designing A Static Website From Scratch, How Do I Add CMS? by hostkobo(m): 7:39pm On Sep 23, 2017
LOSKYXANDER:

do you mean a folder in my laptop, that is before I even host the site? Please guide me on a step by step approach on how to go about it, I'm confused. thanks

Sorry for the late reply

Since you are using your laptop, yes install in a folder.

I assume your project is inside a folder of its own, so the cms is a subfolder

regards
HK
Re: After Designing A Static Website From Scratch, How Do I Add CMS? by hostkobo(m): 8:40pm On Sep 23, 2017
DualCore1:

@Mr Fullstack developer,

your reputation is commendable, but please let me take you to school and back.

Is there any software / stack development knowledge that you invented by yourself? I can answer for you: NO

You were once a novice and you learnt through example.

You are on a forum where a CMS not built by the site-owner was installed, he then customized it to his own liking, back-front end. Yes?

You are using a computer where you installed an operating system not built by you, right. Why didn't you re-invent the wheel.

The intenet you are using? why not re-invent the wheel? why not start from scratch?

And the full stack development you know, which part of it is entirely not a result of some wheels already created and crafted by someone else?

The point of the above is: Yes, there is no point re-inventing the wheel - as I said in my post. The fastest way to learn is by an example.

The OP is talking about a CMS and I have given him an example of one. Creating a CMS is not a walk in the park, it goes beyond just understanding PHP and putting a a bunch of codes together. Even after putting it together, the next question is workflow, security, applicability.

Let me tell you how I learnt CMS development, for example: wordpress.... and this is what I meant by my no need to re-invent the wheel.

- I installed it severally on my computers, and got comfortable first with administration

- then I dived into the code, file by file, I researched online and understood what they did, and why the code was there in the first place. I studied the coding style and understood why the codes flowed the way they did. I cross-checked with PHP references - just to give me explanations of what is this and why is it like this.

- I compared implementations of other CMSs. For example: what is the diff/similarity between how wordpress implements their user/admin login as compared with Joomla and Drupal. I checked out a couple of other cms codes as well.

- I figured out how to remove some functionality, add functionality, extend functionality etc., with just a couple of lines of code.... until I could strip it down to its barebones, and assemble it together again. For example, rather than installing a plugin just to get a slideshow, i can easily add my own custom slider-code which is eventually lighter (size-wise). Rather than adding bulky contact forms, I could add a couple of lines of code and my contact form is up and running. If I feel I dont need a functionality, I can easily remove it, thus making the entire code safer as the # of hacker loopholes reduce.

- at first, I couldnt write plugins, but after installing a couple of them, then I'll check the codes and try to understand them, how/why they implemented their functionalities, how other functionalities inter-relate, why this style, why not that style etc; what I can change and what not to change. Now, I can tell how good and secure a plugin is just by looking at the codes.

- I went further into the database and began to investigate what happens in the database real-time as I manipulated the site-administration / code wise; how operating systems handle databases, pros, cons, etc

- as I pulled wordpress apart, I went into Joomla, Drupal, compared both, asked myself why, what this, why that, what if and what if not.
I investigated having some Joomla core-functionality in wordpress without a plugin, and vice-versa; for example: having drupal views functionality inside wordpress and wordpress core functionality inside drupal. Thus, I can easily adapt to a customers request without necessarily re-inventing the wheel and without breaking the bank.

The above learning curve was very short because I have working example CMSs which is almost an industry standard if we can say so. If I screwed things up, I can easily uninstall and start all over, documenting what I learn along the way.

That is why it is called RESEARCH, because you have a lot of examples before you, and you can study what has been done and why it was done the way it is done; what you can add, remove, twist around, and an idea that was not implemented or that was implemented differently from what you are thinking about.

Honestly, before I started all of the above, I didnt know a single line of PHP, although I had some html and css knowledge. After satisfying myself with those 3, I went into their-shopping carts, other shopping cart implementations, forums, etc., and im still learning. Do I know the basics, yes I do, but i learnt it faster than waiting for someone to start teaching me why helloworld in php is different from javascript.

So if you ask me: can I build my own CMS?
Answer: Yes
why: I know how the structure is, what is required, where to start from, where to branch and where to get off

================

Do you know why the rest of the world keep on producing web developers / full stack developers, it is because they have shortened their learning curve.

For example: if we assume a newbie in the USA and a newbie in Nigeria who start learning computer programming at the same time, the USA newbie will get to the market first.

Why, because he will be shown tons of examples of how things have been done, and why. He will get to read of ideas of what has not been done, what projects and going on currently,etc. His natural instinct will start working immediately about what he can do, add, remove, improve, etc. We see him and say he is a genius.

By the time nepa takes light in Nigeria, our newbie forgets what he has learnt.

What does this mean for us: our learning curve must be shorter than theirs to compensate for our other losses "as Nigerians living in Nigeria".

It is one thing to study up, cram up, write down a lot of fundamentals before trying out an example/your first project. It is another thing to understand the fundamentals by example.

What is the best way to learn French: reading, writing, accent? it is by going to France and talking to french people.... by example. Yes, you will also learn it all in French village in various parts of Nigeria, but the non-French speaker in France will eventually speak it faster and better.

sorry the piece is long

regards
HK

1 Like

Re: After Designing A Static Website From Scratch, How Do I Add CMS? by DualCore1: 11:01pm On Sep 24, 2017
hostkobo:

@Mr Fullstack developer,

The name is Dual Core as far as Nairaland goes. Starting off your post like this gives me no motivation to read the rest, been here since 2007 and I'm used to the stereotypes ... I really didn't read the rest. I have a low threshold for long posts and when the first line is already a turn off, it only lowers the threshold.

I wish you all the best in your endeavors. You will all move on to sky level and beyond. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Web Hosting / Bluehost Or Namecheap: Which One Should I Use To Host My Blogs / Warning_amber Ad Serving Has Been Limited invalid Traffic Concerns 23nov 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.