Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,893 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:51 PM

Turai Checkmates Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Turai Checkmates Jonathan (2165 Views)

As EFCC Goes After Daughter, Turai Yar’adua Runs To Obasanjo For Help / Change Of Tactics In The North Checkmates Obj And Catches Jonathan In A Trap / Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Turai Checkmates Jonathan by Pharoh: 8:01pm On Feb 24, 2010
The handlers of the ailing President Umaru Yar'Adua who sneaked him into the country in the wee hours of today have not wasted any time in trying to wrest power from Acting President Goodluck Jonathan.

Unconfirmed reports speak of plans to make him resign if he doesn't toe the line now being drawn by Turai Yar'Adua who is now effectively in charge of the presidency. A number of ministers who were deemed to have been disloyal to Mr Yar'Adua, are also slated to be sacked, and Dora Akunyili is said to be top on that list.

A source in Aso rock confirmed that officials of the State Security Service had this afternoon gone into the office of Mr Jonathan and conducted a thorough search although it is not immediately clear what they were looking for. They were allegedly working under the directives of Mrs Yar'Adua.

Only a few hours after he arrived the country, and while he lies convalescing in a ‘clinic', aides to the President began systematically to divest Mr Jonathan of any opportunity to exercise the powers of the presidency. He has been denied access to the President and to any information that will keep him abreast of the unfolding drama. Sources say he is barely managing to avoid embarrassment as events keep changing around him and he only gets to hear of the changes after they were announced.

As early as 11.31am, while he prepared for the weekly meeting of the Executive Council of the Federation, a security detail entered the chambers and immediately secured the president's chair to prevent Mr Jonathan from sitting on it. Less than one hour later, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation Yayale Ahmed announced that the Council meeting has been postponed. Instead, Mr Jonathan was scheduled to have a private meeting with the ministers. That meeting eventually lasted less than 10 minutes and the confusion was evident in the faces of some of the ministers who appeared to be sleep walking .

As part of the process of demoting Mr Jonathan, Presidential spokesperson, Segun Adeniyi has announced that from now on the Acting president will revert back to his previous status of vice President, although he will still need to hold the fort while the President recuperates.

However, there are indications that none of this is happening with Mr Jonathan's consent as he remained locked out of the decision making process. Although no one has come out to say he is under house arrest, sources say after the search of his office, the Acting president was effectively kept apart and the coterie of visitors that has been around him in the last two weeks is no longer evident.

As a sign that Mrs Yar'Adua is now in charge of running the presidency, the Acting President has been scheduled to meet with her this evening, and sources say the fate of Mr Jonathan may depend on how that meeting goes.

US concerns

The United States of America has raised concern over the sudden return of Mr Yar'Adua. A statement from its mission in Abuja today warns that the President's return may create chaos in the nation's polity. According to Johnnie Carson, the US Under-Secretary of State on African Affairs, the US government hopes that, "President Yar'Adua's return to Nigeria is not an effort by his senior advisors to upset Nigeria's stability and create renewed uncertainty in the democratic process."

The statement also touched on the president's health: "We hope that his health is sufficient to enable him to fully resume his official duties," Mr Carson said, adding, "Nigeria needs a strong, healthy, and effective leader to ensure the stability of the country and to manage Nigeria's many political, economic and security challenges."

Some celebrate

Residents of Katsina, the home state of the president, yesterday came out in their thousands to celebrate the return of Mr Yar'Adua from Saudi Arabia. He was flown into the country from Saudi Arabia in an air ambulance Number HZM55A at about 1.47 a.m. yesterday.

Security sources say Mr Yar'Adua was forced to relocate to Nigeria from Saudi Arabia following the decision of the Saudi government to avoid mounting diplomatic crisis.

Status quo

The House of Representatives announced yesterday that it still recognises Mr Jonathan as the Acting President of Nigeria. According to the chairman, Rules and Business, Eta Inang, the status of Mr. Jonathan has not changed. Also, at about 5pm today, the Conference of Nigeria Political Parties welcomed the president into the country, but note that the manner of his arrival clearly indicates that he is too incapacitated to rule. However, a statement from the Peoples Democratic Party which also welcomed the President, praised Mr Goodluck Jonathan for holding the fort during the three months of the President's absence.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5531707-146/turai_checkmates_jonathan.csp
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by Gekko(m): 8:06pm On Feb 24, 2010
this woman clearly does not know her place, where in the constitution does it state that Turai can give orders to govt officials.
Michelle Obama is planting vegetables in the white house lawn and our First Lady is steering the affairs of the nation without a drivers license.
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by violent(m): 8:11pm On Feb 24, 2010
Gekko:

this woman clearly does not know her place, where in the constitution does it state that Turai can give orders to govt officials.
Michelle Obama is planting vegetables in the white house lawn and our First Lady is steering the affairs of the nation without a drivers license.

My boy Joe is letting the woman drag his balls.

If he was smart enough, he shoulda known tht the President isn't in any condition to give orders right now, he better act faster than fast!
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by marcdunu: 8:12pm On Feb 24, 2010
we seen it all before

these are legendary stories that will only lead to a sorry end for Turai

Jonathan should speak out tomorrow. Address the Senate notifying them that Yar'adua is missing and he has been unable to find him.

Jonathan should address a joint session of parliament this week.

Immediately find a new NSA to lead a search for yar'adua.

enough of these inuendoes
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by Ibime(m): 8:20pm On Feb 24, 2010
This is what we call a civilian coup.

The House of Reps have said they still recognise Jonathan as Acting President. Any attempt to usurp the House of Reps is undemocratic and can be considered a coup.

At this stage, the House should impeach Yara, and if Turai refuses to leave the seat of power, the army should step in, before this woman destabilises the country any further.
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by otawa: 8:23pm On Feb 24, 2010
we seen it all before

these are legendary stories that will only lead to a sorry end for Turai

Jonathan should speak out tomorrow. Address the Senate notifying them that Yar'adua is missing and he has been unable to find him.

Jonathan should address a joint session of parliament this week.

Immediately find a new NSA to lead a search for yar'adua.

Day dreaming. Constitution does not allow Goodluck to declare Yaradua missing!

The only person that can declare him missing is Turai.

And she will need to register with Nigeria Police that she cant find her husband.

After 3days, Nigeria Police can list Yaradua as missing person. Folllow the Law!

Dont allow emotions to carry you away. The case could also reverse in the future; it could a south President that his sick. What will you say then?

The House of Reps have said they still recognise Jonathan as Acting President. Any attempt to usurp the House of Reps is undemocratic and can be considered a coup.

Believe that, believe anything.

Last time I checked Yaradua is still the PRESIDENT of Nigeria.
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by marcdunu: 8:25pm On Feb 24, 2010
otawa:

Day dreaming. Constitution does not allow Goodluck to declare Yaradua missing!

The only person that can declare him missing is Turai.

And she will need to register with Nigeria Police that she cant find her husband.

After 3days, Nigeria Police can list Yaradua as missing person. Folllow the Law!

Dont allow emotions to carry you away. The case could also reverse in the future; it could a south President that his sick. What will you say then?

Believe that, believe anything.

Last time I checked Yaradua is still the PRESIDENT of Nigeria.

so post what section of the constitution you are quoting
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by Pharoh: 8:26pm On Feb 24, 2010
Jonathan can not do anything because up to this moment he does not have executive powers.
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by Fhemmmy: 8:29pm On Feb 24, 2010
Power has been given to someone that has no idea what to do with it, so what do you expect?
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by Ibime(m): 8:30pm On Feb 24, 2010
Pharoh:

Jonathan can not do anything because up to this moment he does not have executive powers.

All that one na story. . . what constitutional powers does Turai have?

FEC needs to declare Yara incapable, lets move on abeg.

Our President has been kidnapped!!!

If Yara is still functioning, they should give us even some video footage of him.

Turai is opening a pandoras box she wont be able to close.

This is Fulani way of operation. They always run monarchical system. . . even in a democracy.
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by otawa: 8:31pm On Feb 24, 2010
@mardunu,

Civil Law.

Only your next of KIN can declare you missing!

In Yaradua case, he has a wife, otherwise, his kids or mother or father can also do it.

And they have to inform Nigerian Police.

Nigeria Police has to search for you for 3-days after which they can go to court and list you as missing person.

Who is FEC Yaradua appointed all the FEC members. They report to him.

And what does incapable means? I see many people here just run away with emotions.

That is why Turai is controlling the situation.
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by Ibime(m): 8:34pm On Feb 24, 2010
otawa:

Who is FEC Yaradua appointed all the FEC members. They report to him.

And what does incapable means? I see many people here just run away with emotions.

That is why Turai is controlling the situation.

My friend sharrap. . . you are the only one running away with emotions here. . . what constitutional right does Turai have to "control the situation". . . please face front and dont respond to my posts again. . . I dont chat to neanderthals.
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by Boboribo: 8:37pm On Feb 24, 2010
Chei Jona dey fall my hand big time.  Is this the same Turai that can barely speak good English? Is she the one that is effectively checkmating Ph.D holder Jona?  Jona you better allow another fish swallow you up a second time.
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by DrKnow1(m): 8:47pm On Feb 24, 2010
Ibime:

This is what we call a civilian coup.

At this stage, the House should impeach Yara, and if Turai refuses to leave the seat of power, the army should step in, before this woman destabilises the country any further.

I am afraid that won't be possible. Didn't you witness the recent top military officers postings where all the top brass are mainly from Katsina, Kano or Kaduna. I think they have some hidden agenda. This is quite a dangerous development. They won't take orders from Jonathan.
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by Pharoh: 8:48pm On Feb 24, 2010
Ibime:

All that one na story. . . what constitutional powers does Turai have?

Our President has been kidnapped!!!

If Yara is still functioning, they should give us even some video footage of him.

Turai is opening a pandoras box she wont be able to close.

This is Fulani way of operation. They always run monarchical system. . . even in a democracy.

Sure turai does not have executive power but she can always say to goodluck that she is receiving instructions from her husband which the acting president has no option but to obey. Goodluck became the acting president of nigeria without a constitutional backing so it is illegal and he does not have executive power as such.

He can only become acting president if the provision of section 143 of the constitution has been fulfilled.
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by Fhemmmy: 8:49pm On Feb 24, 2010
Dr Know:

I am afraid that won't be possible. Didn't you witness the recent top officers postings where all the top brass are mainly from Katsina, Kano or Kaduna. I think they have some hidden agenda

Anything is possible in Nigeria.
Pharoh:

Sure turai does not have executive power but she can always say to goodluck that she is receiving instructions from her husband which the acting president has no option but to obey. Goodluck became the acting president of nigeria without a constitutional backing so it is illegal and he does not have executive power as such.

He can only become acting president if the provision of section 143 of the constitution has been fulfilled.

Very true
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by hillsate: 8:55pm On Feb 24, 2010
Fellow Nigerians,
Something very drastic is going to happen on a morning in the next 7 days. It will be very drastic. Everyone that played any role in making a fool of all nigerians will find their rightful place. Nature will always seek equilibrium. i rest my case.
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by MrCrackles(m): 8:56pm On Feb 24, 2010
hillsate:

Fellow Nigerians,
Something very drastic is going to happen on a morning in the next 7 days. It will be very drastic. Everyone that played any role in making a fool of all nigerians will find their rightful place. Nature will always seek equilibrium. i rest my case.
Who are ya
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by otawa: 9:01pm On Feb 24, 2010
what constitutional right does Turai have to "control the situation".

Her husband is the executive President of Nigeria.

She can refuse access to anyone to see him.

She can pass any message to anyone and says it is from her husband.

That is why when you voting for President, you are also voting for the WIFE!

They are called 'First Family'
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by Fhemmmy: 9:04pm On Feb 24, 2010
otawa:

Lol
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by DrKnow1(m): 9:16pm On Feb 24, 2010
I think Jonathan should not hold any meeting with Turai. Whatever she wants to say, she should come out and tell the whole Nigeria. If Jonathan should be meeting her that would translate taking orders from her. Jonathan is currently holding the mantle of power and he should act so to save Nigeria from this quagmire
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by Fhemmmy: 9:31pm On Feb 24, 2010
Dr Know:

I think Jonathan should not hold any meeting with Turai. Whatever she wants to say, she should come out and tell the whole Nigeria. If Jonathan should be meeting her that would translate taking orders from her. Jonathan is currently holding the mantle of power and he should act so to save Nigeria from this quagmire

I am sure even Jonathan will wish, it was that simple
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by ojimboIV: 9:34pm On Feb 24, 2010
the story lacks credence
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by Fhemmmy: 9:35pm On Feb 24, 2010
ojimbo IV:

the story lacks credence

Credence does not matter in Nija
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by henry101(m): 9:44pm On Feb 24, 2010
It wil amount 2gross foolishness if Jonathan shud take oda/odas from Turai.
I pray He remains strong.
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by irohadis: 10:00pm On Feb 24, 2010
All Jonathan needs to do is refuse to take instructions from Turai and insist on seeing the president. Where meeting the president is not possible, he should make it clear to the cabinet that they take orders from him as the person 'running the affairs of the state.' If Turai disagrees, let her bring Yar'adua, to retake command of the state, return to his office and executive seat to run the government. If Turai becomes intransigent as expected and Jonathan refuses to move from his position, the resulting paralysis in government will set off a national outcry, fear of coup etc that the National assembly will be forced to impeach the president to save their own jobs.
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by SkyBlue1: 10:15pm On Feb 24, 2010
otawa:

Unless you are joking and being sarcastic, I implore you; please stop embarassing yourself.

The president is not just any citizen, he is the number one citizen. Turai was not on the PDP ballot, Yar Adua and Johnathan were. "First Family", is not empowered to wade into executive affairs by the constitution because Yar Adua, and not his family appeared on the ballot. This is not running Mile one market, this is running the country; hence not a case of waiting for 'Mama Yar Adua' to come and tell the country what has husband says. Please stop spreading such outright misinformation unless you can back it up.
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by Igwe9(m): 10:37pm On Feb 24, 2010
. . . . . watching as dramas keep unfolding.
They are just using her,
sad
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by Gekko(m): 10:42pm On Feb 24, 2010
otawa:

That is why when you voting for President,  you are also voting for the WIFE!

If my memory serves me correct Yaradrool and Goodluck took oath of office on May 29 2007 not the "first family"
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by AT1: 10:58pm On Feb 24, 2010
Hmmmmmmm
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by alleno: 11:10pm On Feb 24, 2010
Thank you skyblue, Well said
Re: Turai Checkmates Jonathan by Ibime(m): 11:11pm On Feb 24, 2010
Sky Blue:

Unless you are joking and being sarcastic, I implore you; please stop embarassing yourself.

The president is not just any citizen, he is the number one citizen. Turai was not on the PDP ballot, Yar Adua and Johnathan were. "First Family", is not empowered to wade into executive affairs by the constitution because Yar Adua, and not his family appeared on the ballot. This is not running Mile one market, this is running the country; hence not a case of waiting for 'Mama Yar Adua' to come and tell the country what has husband says. Please stop spreading such outright misinformation unless you can back it up.

Ottawa is a neanderthal. . . why waste your words?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Double IDs / Nigerian, Others, Extradited From Liberia To U.S On Cocaine Conspiracy Charges! / Olunloyo's Daughter Fast Becoming The Laughing Stock Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.