Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:57 AM

What Is Iru And What Is It Used For? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Is Iru And What Is It Used For? (12934 Views)

Vegetable soup with locust beans (efo Riro with Iru) / Iru / How To Preserve My Ground Melon (Egusi) And Locust Beans (Iru)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Iru And What Is It Used For? by GRAgirl: 4:44pm On Feb 14, 2007
Hi guys,
I am an igbo girl living in LDN, I cook a lot of Nij food but I have been wondering what iru is and what its used for,
I read on the net that its some kind of fermented locust bean, but i often see it added to soups etc.
Can you tell me what its used for and what it adds to the food,

(second question.,. is there anywhere i can buy snails for cheaply in London?)
thanks
Zi
Re: What Is Iru And What Is It Used For? by OpeLovely(f): 4:06am On Feb 15, 2007
Yes, IRU is called Locust beans (the english name) and its used as a traditional spice to add flavour to foods. Usually, they are sold in leaves and salted for preservation. The best ones are from the village where they are free from sand and are fresh.

They are ground with pepper for vegetable soups but some leave them like that without grinding them. They are also ground with onions and pepper with smoked fish and fried as stew for white rice which is simply delicious.

Not only do they add taste to the foods, they are good for the eyesight as well.
Re: What Is Iru And What Is It Used For? by tpia: 2:21am On Feb 25, 2007
the Igbo version of iru is in long and thin strips. I've forgotten what it's called.
Re: What Is Iru And What Is It Used For? by chiogo(f): 9:08pm On Feb 25, 2007
I think it's called[b] UGBA[/b] in igbo.
Re: What Is Iru And What Is It Used For? by lolabaloo(f): 1:32pm On Feb 26, 2007
hausa own is dawadawa some people call it dadawa
Re: What Is Iru And What Is It Used For? by egbon(m): 3:08pm On Mar 02, 2007
@ GRAgirl

[quote(second question.,. is there anywhere i can buy snails for cheaply in London?)][quote][/quote]

Deptford or Peckham
Re: What Is Iru And What Is It Used For? by bunmii(f): 1:09pm On Mar 05, 2007
eru i don't know what it is called in another language but in those days my mum use to put it in okro soup.
Re: What Is Iru And What Is It Used For? by omoge(f): 6:53pm On Mar 05, 2007
Iru is great, always love it in those days and i look for it everywhere in the soup,

I have seen some hausa women and Tivi making dawadawa using Soya Beans.
I think Iru can be made from soya beans too (cuz i watch the process they used back then, leaving the soya bean to be fermented).

The IRU is seeding (the yoruba way, while the Tiv will blend it in groundstone and use their hand to mold it flat or round)

The smell is funny but the taste is great.

I have a friend who instead of using maggi, used Iru instead. Heard before the advent of maggi, that's what they use. I don't know but
it taste great in Ogbono, okra soup or Efo soup.

I love IRU anyday.

1 Like

Re: What Is Iru And What Is It Used For? by Nobody: 1:34am On Mar 07, 2007
Iru in Igboland is face. grin grin grin
It is used for a whole bunch of stuff.
Re: What Is Iru And What Is It Used For? by patrikoolar: 12:33am On Nov 05, 2022
Hmmm... I bought it once to cook okra soup at my new area, and the women were looking at me funny. Except it's an aphrodisiac, I don't even know why else they were looking like that. OP, avoid snails, sorry.
Re: What Is Iru And What Is It Used For? by shantti(m): 9:51am On Nov 05, 2022
I think it is called okpeyi in igbo. Igbos make theirs into a big black lump.

(1) (Reply)

How To Cater To A Man Who Doesn't Eat Draw Soup. / Indomie Noodles! / The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.