Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,172 members, 7,807,548 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:11 PM

5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid (41606 Views)

5 Healthiest Meats You Can Eat, So As To Improve Your Chances Of Living Longer / Lady In Shock After Caterer Hid Meats Meant For Her Guests(video) / The Bush Meats I Killed This Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by Opinionated: 12:48pm On Sep 08, 2017
By Nwokolo Collins
By Nwokolo Collins

It is often said that you are what you eat, so a healthy person should expect to eat healthy food. Our nutrition should be based on our health needs or even health challenges. For example, diabetic patients are advised to consume foods with low glycemic index. You should not just eat whatever you feel like, whenever you feel like. This goes especially for one of the most consumed food, meat. I love meat, and am very sure you do too. It is delicious and we always look forward to eating it except you are a vegetarian or vegan. But as tantalizing as meat can be, there are some types of it that are unhealthy for us. In this article, we'll look at 5 unhealthy meats that you should avoid eating. Most of these meats are processed meats and they contain harmful substances.

Hot dogs

Hot dogs are highly processed meat, and are very unhealthy. Hot dogs are made with chicken, pork and steak trimmings that are added with additives like salt and corn syrup, which make them bad.

A single hot dog contains 410mg of sodium, because it contains high amount of salt used for preservation. Consuming such meat can increase the risk if getting hypertension and heart diseases.

Organ meat: Liver

Liver, in this context is an organ meat, found in animals. There are many other organ meats, we consume, but the liver is widely consumed and very unhealthy.

Remember that the liver is an excretory organ that rids the body of toxins. So, when you consume liver meat, you are ingesting the toxins as well. This can be harmful the body, and people with cholesterol problems should avoid liver or other organ meat.

Bacon

Bacon contains a lot of calories, 60 percent of which are unhealthy fat. This explains why 30g of bacon contains 30 milligrams of cholesterol. Bacon is bad for people with heart diseases and stroke. It also contains a very high amount of sodium

Corned beef

Corned beef is a widely consumed processed meat and is often used as an ingredient in salad. However, corned beef is unhealthy, not just because of the way it is processed but the way it was made.

Corned beef contains a lot of calories, saturated fat and sodium. When bacon is fried, it forms a substance called nitrosamine. Studies show that nitrosamines may increase the risk of stomach and bowel cancer.

Fried catfish

Fried catfish is often processed by deep frying under high temperatures. Most foods that are preserved or prepared under high temperatures are said to produce carcinogens that lead to cancer.

Catfish also contain harmful toxins like mercury and lead, because live near the bottom of the water.

Conclusion

A healthy person will eat healthy food and avoid or reduce the intake of unhealthy ones. They're a lot very healthy meats you can eat. So don't feel like you are limited, learn to make healthy choices, so you can be healthy.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/5-unhealthy-meats-avoid/

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by WizAkzy: 1:18pm On Sep 08, 2017

Kuku say make we use goat meat do burger na.

Head dey pain una

80 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by FunmyKemmy(f): 3:22pm On Sep 08, 2017
Noted with thanks.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by TINALETC3(f): 4:04pm On Sep 08, 2017
Really
Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by ZeroUnity: 4:05pm On Sep 08, 2017
Eziokwu?? sad

5 Likes

Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by Josh44s(m): 4:05pm On Sep 08, 2017
What will we eat then? Vegetable and fruits morning till night

22 Likes

Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by hazyfm1: 4:05pm On Sep 08, 2017
angry

I will kuku be drinking only water and eating vegetables

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by Unbreakable007: 4:06pm On Sep 08, 2017
Tell that to Buhari

1 Like

Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by Esomchi44(m): 4:06pm On Sep 08, 2017
We shouldn't eat at all that will be better

13 Likes

Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by Queenext: 4:06pm On Sep 08, 2017
Everything on the internet is bad,yet people have been consuming it since forever,something must kill a man.

When then should we eat?

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by greatboom(m): 4:06pm On Sep 08, 2017
What about snakes?

1 Like

Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by TINALETC3(f): 4:07pm On Sep 08, 2017
U cn eat dog grin grin
Josh44s:

37 Likes

Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by ENGINEous(m): 4:07pm On Sep 08, 2017
Go and barn it Oga

6 Likes

Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by microscope1(m): 4:07pm On Sep 08, 2017
Nice post. More of this will be helpful.
Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by akins56(m): 4:07pm On Sep 08, 2017
If you have only know just 1 of the listed meats above, just like me, click like .
Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by campbelljosh(m): 4:08pm On Sep 08, 2017
Kk
Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by aszunky: 4:08pm On Sep 08, 2017
kuku say make we no eat meat again
Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by yomibelle(f): 4:09pm On Sep 08, 2017
I Can't laugh alone jare, oya join me.
My neighbor was sick and invited a native doctor.
I warned and pleaded with him, begged him to
wait for God's time but he refused, So I left him.
He went inside his house with the native doctor,
so after the native doctor finished doing his
enchantment, he told my neighbor that the
sickness is incurable but can be transferred to
another person and my neighbour greedily agreed.
The native doctor then told my neighbour that the
1st person that will enter his house, he should
shout "taarh" and the sickness will transfer to the
person and the person will die, except d person
reply with retaarh to backfire. my neighbour
agreed and the native doctor left in a hurry,
forgetting to collect his money for the service he
had offered. My neighbour sat down in his parlour
and kept his door open waiting for the first victim
that will pass through that door. The native
doctor then remembered that he forgot to collect
his money and decided to go back and collect it.
Immediately the native doctor entered, my
neighbour shouted "taarh" and the native doctor
shouted "retaarh" and my neighbour shouted
again “reretaaarh" the native doctor replied
“retartartarh".
This noise started since yesterday morning and
up till now they are both shouting “rerererererere
rererererererererereretaaaaaaaaarrrhhhh"...
Who will stop and die for who?

56 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by AngelicBeing: 4:09pm On Sep 08, 2017
greatboom:
What about snakes?
You want Lalasticlala to come for you right, @topic, I concur with the submission tongue

Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by Sochimaobim(m): 4:09pm On Sep 08, 2017
U for kuku add beef and chicken so that ur list will be complete. One thing must kill a man joor
Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by AuroraB(f): 4:10pm On Sep 08, 2017
Hot dog shocked
Haba! sad
So, what would Shawarma be served with angry
Haba!
We go find something to do about this one oooo shocked
Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by folba(m): 4:10pm On Sep 08, 2017
That's why it's good to be a veg cool
Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by ivolt: 4:10pm On Sep 08, 2017
Aside from risk of infection from eating Liver, every other food
on that list is good for healthy people in moderation(as every other food).

1 Like

Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by bedspread: 4:10pm On Sep 08, 2017
Josh44s:
add with Potatoes, Green tea, lots of water, salads..

Note: Too much of Everything isn't good

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by marvelling(m): 4:11pm On Sep 08, 2017
Opinionated:
By Nwokolo Collins
By Nwokolo Collins

It is often said that you are what you eat, so a healthy person should expect to eat healthy food. Our nutrition should be based on our health needs or even health challenges. For example, diabetic patients are advised to consume foods with low glycemic index. You should not just eat whatever you feel like, whenever you feel like. This goes especially for one of the most consumed food, meat. I love meat, and am very sure you do too. It is delicious and we always look forward to eating it except you are a vegetarian or vegan. But as tantalizing as meat can be, there are some types of it that are unhealthy for us. In this article, we'll look at 5 unhealthy meats that you should avoid eating. Most of these meats are processed meats and they contain harmful substances.

Hot dogs

Hot dogs are highly processed meat, and are very unhealthy. Hot dogs are made with chicken, pork and steak trimmings that are added with additives like salt and corn syrup, which make them bad.

A single hot dog contains 410mg of sodium, because it contains high amount of salt used for preservation. Consuming such meat can increase the risk if getting hypertension and heart diseases.

Organ meat: Liver

Liver, in this context is an organ meat, found in animals. There are many other organ meats, we consume, but the liver is widely consumed and very unhealthy.

Remember that the liver is an excretory organ that rids the body of toxins. So, when you consume liver meat, you are ingesting the toxins as well. This can be harmful the body, and people with cholesterol problems should avoid liver or other organ meat.

Bacon

Bacon contains a lot of calories, 60 percent of which are unhealthy fat. This explains why 30g of bacon contains 30 milligrams of cholesterol. Bacon is bad for people with heart diseases and stroke. It also contains a very high amount of sodium

Corned beef

Corned beef is a widely consumed processed meat and is often used as an ingredient in salad. However, corned beef is unhealthy, not just because of the way it is processed but the way it was made.

Corned beef contains a lot of calories, saturated fat and sodium. When bacon is fried, it forms a substance called nitrosamine. Studies show that nitrosamines may increase the risk of stomach and bowel cancer.

Fried catfish

Fried catfish is often processed by deep frying under high temperatures. Most foods that are preserved or prepared under high temperatures are said to produce carcinogens that lead to cancer.

Catfish also contain harmful toxins like mercury and lead, because live near the bottom of the water.

Conclusion

A healthy person will eat healthy food and avoid or reduce the intake of unhealthy ones. They're a lot very healthy meats you can eat. So don't feel like you are limited, learn to make healthy choices, so you can be healthy.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/5-unhealthy-meats-avoid/

this post contains some misinformation

8 Likes

Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by bedspread: 4:11pm On Sep 08, 2017
TINALETC3:
U cn eat dog grin grin
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by Royalfurnitures: 4:11pm On Sep 08, 2017
Thanks for the info though i don"t eat hot dog but eat a little of liver

Check out my signature for quality and durable furniture
Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by Yabsun(m): 4:12pm On Sep 08, 2017
Something must kill a man. Ask our grandparents, they cherish organ meat than the body itself. They grew old like Methuselah with many wives and concubine..c u.

6 Likes

Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by Lumig: 4:12pm On Sep 08, 2017
What else do we have left to eat,almost every food is unhealthy. Na wa ó

1 Like

Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by 1Sharon(f): 4:14pm On Sep 08, 2017
Liver meat is unhealthy? What kind of source is this?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid by soberdrunk(m): 4:14pm On Sep 08, 2017
After avoiding all these yummy delights, one dangote truck will still fail break and pick you. Moral of the story----Nobody gets out alive angry

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

White Rice With Spicy Chicken Stew. Fresh Tomatoes Is Scarce Today So.... / Lady Orders Cake for her Baby's Birthday Online, But See What was Delivered. PIX / Party Guests Served Food From A Hot Stove In Nigeria (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.