Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,895 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:21 AM

6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced (10632 Views)

6 Signs Of A Bad Water Pump / These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair / Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by obafemee80(m): 4:36am On Sep 10, 2017
[img]http:///a/img922/5858/ceryhY.jpg[/img]

Spark plugs are similar to motor oil,fuel filters, and air filters in that they require routine service and maintenance to keep your engine running strong.

Spark plugs are designed to transmit an electrical signal sent from the ignition coil at a predetermined time to create a spark that ignites the air-fuel mixture inside the combustion chamber.

Over time unburnt gases and oil create a buildup of carbon residue on your car’s spark plugs,which can lessen the performance of your vehicle’s engine and make a cold start more difficult.

Good spark plugs will burn fuel efficiently, while bad or failing spark plugs can cause the motor not to start at all.

Listed below are a few common symptoms of worn out spark plugs or spark plugs that have fouled and need to be replaced as soon as possible,so you can continue driving your vehicle without issue.

1)The engine idles roughly
The sound of your car’s engine should be constant and smooth.If your vehicle’s engine is making more noise than usual,have it checked out by a mechanic.

2)Difficulty starting the vehicle
Dirty spark plugs and damaged wires make it difficult or impossible to deliver the spark needed to start the engine.They can even drain power from your battery.If you have trouble starting your vehicle,have your plugs and wires checked by a qualified mechanic.

3)Your car’s engine misfires
Built-up carbon deposits on your car’s spark plugs can cause one or more cylinders to misfire,resulting in poor performance.

4)Engine surge or hesitation
Power surges and hesitation are signs your car’s engine is working inefficiently.It can be quite dangerous if they occur while you are in traffic.If you experience this,have your vehicle checked by a mechanic right away.

5)High fuel consumption
Worn,deteriorated spark plugs can decrease fuel economy by as much as 30 per cent.If you notice you’re filling the fuel tank more often than usual,you might need new spark plugs.

6)Lack of acceleration
If you notice that your car is running sluggishly or does not accelerate as quickly as it used to,it may be attributed to a spark plug that needs to be replaced.However, you should contact a mechanic to inspect this issue as it could be caused by multiple other factors including bad fuel filters, dirty or clogged fuel injector,or issues with oxygen sensors.

Spark plugs typically have a life expectancy of about 45,000 kilometres.
Like other parts of your car,these numbers vary depending on how you drive and how well the spark plugs and ignition wires are looked after.It’s a good idea to have them checked,cleaned or changed as necessary,as part of a regularly scheduled maintenance plan for your car.

https://autojosh.com/6-signs-sparkplugs-need-replaced/

Credits: yellowpages.ca/

Cc
Lalasticlala
Mynd44

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by 7ran53nd: 7:55am On Sep 10, 2017
Guess it's high time I looked into mine.

1 Like

Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by sKeetz(m): 7:57am On Sep 10, 2017
well in my humble opinion, without the desire to offend those who think different from my point of view, but looking at it in depth, taking into account the characteristics of each person I honestly think....I forgot what i was going to say..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by Nobody: 7:57am On Sep 10, 2017
Acceleration affected and when hot the car switches off.
Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by Onyijeff(m): 7:57am On Sep 10, 2017
Could it be d cause of a car going off all of a sudden. Expecially wen ur on low speed
Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by johnjay4u2u(m): 7:58am On Sep 10, 2017
na new shoe i need and a car join
Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by DMerciful(m): 7:58am On Sep 10, 2017
Been using my Hyundai accent 2012 model for over 5 years now and nothing has been changed in the entire car except brake pads and normal servicing. The spark plugs have never been changed but d performance is awesome! Hyundai rocks!

6 Likes

Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by Engrr(m): 7:59am On Sep 10, 2017
Good one.....Very Helpful

1 Like

Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by almsofgold: 8:00am On Sep 10, 2017
Nice piece op. It really got me thinking about changing them plugs. I've got all the related issues on my car.
Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by Nemesis1: 8:01am On Sep 10, 2017
How do I identify engine fault?
Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by drsteroid(m): 8:02am On Sep 10, 2017
Informative!I had issue with mine 3wks ago,wasn't moving as fast as it used to move,over consumption of fuel⛽,jerky movement..I had to visit a mechanic workshop who said my fuel pump was faulty...It was my Mechanic who told me d fault was from the plug,the 2nd and 4th plugs were gone...As soon as I changed those plugs,my car was back to factory settings�,smooth movement and accelerating well..I spent over 3hrs in Iyana Dopemu hold up with my fuel stil intact,comparing it to when the plugs were still faulty

1 Like

Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by somehow: 8:02am On Sep 10, 2017
I can supply you sparkplugs in bulk if you are an end user or even a reseller.

Kindly contact me if you would want to buy in bulk from me.

Price is relatively cheap and straight from the factories abroad.

Check my signature or quote me.

1 Like

Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by TheAlchemist: 8:30am On Sep 10, 2017
Sometimes a bad speed sensor can mimic some of the issues raised in the OP's post, how do we know when it is actually the speed sensor that is bad or spark plugs.
Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by whizpa(m): 8:30am On Sep 10, 2017
Funny how I was googling this stuff yesterday. Didn't really get the answer I needed. But this article has done justice to it.
Cool stuff OP.

And Please, can anyone tell me why my spark plugs keep fouling out in less than a week?

1 Like

Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by aieromon(m): 8:39am On Sep 10, 2017
Any misfire will result in a check engine light warning on your dashboard. All the signs here are generic and only a scan can reveal the need for spark plugs replacement.
Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by jimb(m): 9:06am On Sep 10, 2017
sKeetz:
well in my humble opinion, without the desire to offend those who think different from my point of view, but looking at it in depth, taking into account the characteristics of each person I honestly think....I forgot what i was going to say..

see mumu

5 Likes

Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by Splashme: 10:00am On Sep 10, 2017
TheAlchemist:
Sometimes a bad speed sensor can mimic some of the issues raised in the OP's post, how do we know when it is actually the speed sensor that is bad or spark plugs.

Do a scan
Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by plethoral: 11:11am On Sep 10, 2017
drsteroid:
Informative!I had issue with mine 3wks ago,wasn't moving as fast as it used to move,over consumption of fuel⛽,jerky movement..I had to visit a mechanic workshop who said my fuel pump was faulty...It was my Mechanic who told me d fault was from the plug,the 2nd and 4th plugs were gone...As soon as I changed those plugs,my car was back to factory settings�,smooth movement and accelerating well..I spent over 3hrs in Iyana Dopemu hold up with my fuel stil intact,comparing it to when the plugs were still faulty
Please can you help me with the make and price of the plugs you bought?and is there anything in particular i need to look out for when purchasing same. Thanks!
Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by TERTAR: 12:55pm On Sep 10, 2017
Sniper12:
Acceleration affaected and when hot the car switches off.

the contact is mixing with the caborator grin grin
Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by DaV8King(m): 1:44pm On Sep 10, 2017
DMerciful:
Been using my Hyundai accent 2012 model for over 5 years now and nothing has been changed in the entire car except brake pads and normal servicing. The spark plugs have never been changed but d performance is awesome! Hyundai rocks!

Bros, you dey go anywhere with the motor? Cz the exhaust smoke suppose don black pass Baba Mulika own by now.
Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by ezugegere(m): 2:20pm On Sep 10, 2017
DMerciful:

Hyundai 2012 for over 5 yrs now? Ok.
Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by jacoik(m): 3:12pm On Sep 10, 2017
sKeetz:
gods!!! Look at how I wasted my time trying to read what u r going to say. In fact u r mad!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by kunlexy1759(m): 3:13pm On Sep 10, 2017
My Mazda car sounds and runs smoothly but d exhaust mouth is black now while d car is not even smoking. Could it be sparkplug issue? It has been long i changed d plugs.
Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by oseiwe(m): 5:51pm On Sep 10, 2017
DMerciful:
2012 model for over 5 years equals to 2018, 2019, 2020. sad
Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by DMerciful(m): 8:43pm On Sep 10, 2017
Simple maths....bought it 2012 June. From 2012 June to 2017 June is 5years and we are in September. Maths is not that hard!
oseiwe:

2012 model for over 5 years equals to 2018, 2019, 2020. sad

1 Like

Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by lonelydora: 10:34pm On Sep 10, 2017
I have been using my follow come NGK plugs for 6 years now. I tried some months back to change them but the ones i bought wasn't idling fine, so i have to change back to my follow come plugs.
Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by Taolakprinting(m): 3:40am On Sep 11, 2017
Onyijeff:
Could it be d cause of a car going off all of a sudden. Expecially wen ur on low speed

Try check your fuel pumb, if the fuel pumb pressure is low that's what happen mostly.
Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by FreshMekanik: 3:41pm On Sep 11, 2017
Taolakprinting:

Try check your fuel pumb, if the fuel pumb pressure is low that's what happen mostly.

How can one know the fuel pump pressure?
Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by Nobody: 1:48am On Sep 12, 2017
Nice thread,,, Please house, I have a camry 2001, when I engage the gear, the movement is always sluggish until after sometime when the gear shits, it shifts well and runs fine until I stop again, what could be the cause, most mechanic I've visited thinks the gear is faulty and needs to be changed. Please help!
Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by suretx(m): 7:13am On Sep 14, 2017
DMerciful:

As a fellow Accent user, and for others too, please check the condition of your timing belt, especially if you've done over 50,000km from new or from when it was last changed. There is a tendency to overlook and forget this critical component during maintenance.
If it fails (cuts), your vehicle will be grounded on the spot. Asides the inconvenience, the failure may further result in the bending of the valves, cylinder head or camshaft damage and possibly piston damage. These are all as bad as they sound...

1 Like

Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by DMerciful(m): 8:18am On Sep 14, 2017
Thanks....will do
suretx:

As a fellow Accent user, and for others too, please check the condition of your timing belt, especially if you've done over 50,000km from new or from when it was last changed. There is a tendency to overlook and forget this critical component during maintenance.
If it fails (cuts), your vehicle will be grounded on the spot. Asides the inconvenience, the failure may further result in the bending of the valves, cylinder head or camshaft damage and possibly piston damage. These are all as bad as they sound...
Re: 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced by ceasare: 9:33am On Sep 14, 2017
suretx:

You are right use to hv a Santa fe couple of yrs back .the timing cut off
And I hv to spend much to fix valve ,belt etc to return it back to condition.

(1) (Reply)

5 Reasons Why You Must Have Fire Extinguisher In Your Car / Is Kia Rio A Good Car? / Why I Hate "Danfo" Buses!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.