Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,557 members, 7,809,031 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:27 PM

Protecting Your Children From Paedophiles. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Protecting Your Children From Paedophiles. (557 Views)

Wife Of Ex-akwa Ibom Military Governor Evicts Step-children From Family House / My Dead Uncle's Wife Needs Children From Me / Francisco Tchikuteny Sabalo Dead: Angolan Man Who Had 281 Children From 47 Wives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Protecting Your Children From Paedophiles. by kemthegirl(f): 12:07pm On Sep 10, 2017
We often hear the word pedophile and pedophilia in connection with sexual abuse of minors. What then is pedophilia? How do we protect the targets?

Pedophilia is a mental disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a primary or exclusive sexual attraction to prepubescent children.That is to say a person could be a sex offender but not a pedophile because he or she does not feel sexually attracted to prepubescent children exclusively. Studies have also shown that a person cannot be termed a pedophile until he or she is up to the age of sixteen.
Again, the African society seems to associate Pedophilia with men. However, women have also been known to be sexual predators. Most people erroneously tag sex offenders as pedophiles without the understanding of this mental disorder.
Now we know who a pedophile is and we also know their main targets are children between the ages of 0-13 years of age.
HOW DO WE PROTECT OUR CHILDREN?

1. TEACH YOUR CHILDREN SEXUALLY PROTECTIVE BEHAVIORS
The first step is to have a simple yet candid conversation with your child(ren) about sex depending on how old they are. Teach your child(ren) the proper name for each body part and explain their functions. Note that most pedophiles use nicknames for a child’s body part so it is your duty to educate your child(ren) on which areas are off limits to strangers. Help your child(ren) identify a good touch and a bad touch.
Do not allow anyone call your child “my wife” or “my husband”.
2.BE INVOLVED IN YOUR CHILD’S LIFE
Do you know the real trait of that uncle or aunt you trust your child(ren) with? Who are your child(ren)’s friends? What do they do at sleepovers? 95% of the time, the abuser is someone the parents know and trust their child(ren) with so it is imperative that parents strive to build a strong bond with their child(ren) and this in turn helps the children have confidence in their parents.
Usually, pedophiles prey on children who seem lonely or whose parents/guardians are not so attentive. Thus as a parent, when you are largely involved with your child, you are setting up barriers and protecting your children from pedophiles.
3. ABUSE OF CHILDREN CAN BE DONE ANYWHERE AND AT ANY TIME
Children can be abused anywhere. At home, in school, in church, at the mosque, market, you name it. Recently, i had cause to witness a couple take steps to press charges against two school teachers(female by the way) who violently and systematically abused a three year old girl by inserting a ruler into her vagina. Turns out the parents didn’t pick their child from school early enough so they saw and opportunity and exploited it. The poor child bled for over a week.
Are you shocked? You shouldn’t be. Outside the home, the school environment and the teacher is whom your ward should be safe with right? Not necessarily so. Get to know those in your community, those who frequently come in contact with your child(ren) and be wary of those who have unusual interests in your child(ren). Most pedophiles get the attention of children with gifts so be watchful.
4. DO NOT IGNORE YOUR INSTINCTS
Nature has blessed human beings with instincts. It serves as a natural defense mechanism so do not ignore it. If you are uncomfortable with a particular individual being around your child(ren), take decisive actions to protect them. Remember it is better to err on the side of caution. If your child says “I don’t like that uncle” or aunt as the case may be, please do not try to force them to have a relationship with that person and get them out of that environment.
Remember you cannot tell a pedophile from his or her looks. They are people who could be Lawyers, Doctors, Teachers, Religious Leaders etc.
5. DO NOT BLAME YOUR CHILD
If your child(ren) is being abused or has been abused to your knowledge, please do not blame him or her. A pedophile will probably make your child(ren) feel guilty and responsible for his or her sick behavior. They are also known to use threats to keep their preys under their control. Showing love can go a long way to heal an abused child even though he or she may never forget it. Communicate sincerely with your child(ren) and help them to stay vigilant.

I recognize that the “hush culture” and the “i leave you to God” syndrome in the African society makes addressing this ugly phenomenon a challenge. However, i am a strong advocate of speaking out. A pedophile is wired that way and is not going to change no matter how you hope for a change.
It could be your child tomorrow. Identify the Pedophiles in your community. For all you know, he could be unto his next victim.

southerntelescope.com
Lalastica
Seun

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Protecting Your Children From Paedophiles. by Nobody: 12:10pm On Sep 10, 2017
pedophiles are sick people

(1) (Reply)

10 Years Old Girl Reportedly Commits Suicide / Rose Marie: Dick Van Dyke Show Star Dies At 94 / How To Know If A Woman Is Pregnant Or 'has Belle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.