Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,720 members, 7,802,174 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:27 AM

Sms To Email/database System - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Sms To Email/database System (1405 Views)

Subscribe To Email / Get Your Form To Email Script With Auto-responder Facility. / Code For Send Form Content To Email Using Php (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sms To Email/database System by ogzille(m): 9:31am On Feb 26, 2010
Please house im workin on a project and im stuck.

I need to collect text messages sent to a mobile no ( not a short code no) and insert it into my database.

please i need assistance on how to achieve this.

thanks
Re: Sms To Email/database System by kehers(m): 12:56am On Feb 27, 2010
Oops, this is kinda deep. It would av been way easier wt a shortcode. The way to it with a number is find a way to listen to incoming messages on the fone and send it to a script (say via a url) dat does d db insertion. Two ways to this is dat 1. U develop a mobile app dat does d listeng & uses d fone's gprs to 4wd it to d url dat will do d db insert. I av done it in java (j2me) once but flopped due to the security restrictns of java. So most def, u should b lookg into a different programmg lang like python or symbian C (dependg on d target fone)
2. Connect d fone 24/7 to a pc and write a desktop app to access incoming msgs on d phone via d connectn port - just as all ds pc suites do.
My advice? Use a shortcode. The provider will give u api with whc u can easily get incoming sms.
Re: Sms To Email/database System by ogzille(m): 8:08am On Feb 27, 2010
Kehers thank you very much for the response.

If i can get sms to email api, that solves my problem too cos i will just get a script to read the mails and insert to the db.
Re: Sms To Email/database System by kehers(m): 10:57am On Feb 27, 2010
Yup. But a good shortcode provider can even allow u submit a url dey will automatically forward ur sms to
Re: Sms To Email/database System by ogzille(m): 11:43am On Feb 27, 2010
Do you have an idea of what it costs to get a short code?
Re: Sms To Email/database System by lojik(m): 8:03am On Feb 28, 2010
i av developed a mobile phone app that can intercept incoming sms that meet a certain a user defined criteria and forward it to a url using HTTP GET. i use it for my software activation. confirm at www.elearning.afrisoft.org . call me on 08086271447 for the app or the source code.
Re: Sms To Email/database System by kehers(m): 8:45am On Feb 28, 2010
@ogzille
Shortcodes r a bit on d high esp for dedicated shortcodes. I cant remember d cost again now, but u shld b lookg at somethn over 100k plus monthly rental fees of 10ths of thousands. But then again it depends on d provider. And by d way, I will do wit the recommendatn of a good provider myself.
@lojik
Dats interestg. Jst wat I was simulatg in java. Wat lang was it written wit? Can u provide a direct download link pls.
Re: Sms To Email/database System by kehers(m): 8:47am On Feb 28, 2010
@ogzille
Shortcodes r a bit on d high esp for dedicated shortcodes. I cant remember d cost again now, but u shld b lookg at somethn over 100k plus monthly rental fees of 10ths of thousands. But then again it depends on d provider. And by d way, I will do wit the recommendatn of a good provider myself.
@lojik
Dats interestg. Jst wat I was simulatg in java. Wat lang was it written wit? Can u provide a direct download link pls.
Re: Sms To Email/database System by lojik(m): 2:44pm On Feb 28, 2010
i coded it in .net and it uses sqlite database to store the messages.
if u r planning on coding yours, u might wanna consider the following features i have in mine:

1. At times wen sms comes in and are intercepted, gprs connection may not be available or may fail so i created a database to save the message and keep retrying at a user specified interval until connection to the website is successful.
2. It supports unlimited user defined keywords so that it can be used for more that one project e.g for keyword "RINGTONE", the message must start with RINGTONE followed by a space and for keyword "VOTE" the message must start with VOTE followed by a space
3. It restores sms messages that do not match any defined keyword in case the message is meant to be read not to be processed.
4. The program can be made to run in the background (not visible on the phone) and still intercept messages.
5. User can specify interval to retry gprs connection for resending of failed messages
6. All messages, date/time of interception, date of sending to url, response from url, message status, e.t.c are saved in the database for future reference and can be deleted/edited by user in excel like interface.
7. intercepted messages are automatically prevented from reaching the phone once they match a keyword

u'll av to contact me via email to ceo[at]afrisoft[dot]org if u need a copy as i did not make it downloadable. Pls note that its commercial but affordable.
Re: Sms To Email/database System by Nobody: 2:25am On Mar 05, 2010
SHORTCODE IS FREE PM ME I WILL TELL YOU

I WILL LINK YOU UP.
Re: Sms To Email/database System by TechPros(m): 4:39am On Mar 05, 2010
@lojik
you are really doing great, look forward to working with you. nice app and implementation.
Re: Sms To Email/database System by lojik(m): 10:26pm On Mar 05, 2010
Tech Pros:

@lojik
you are really doing great, look forward to working with you. nice app and implementation.
Thanks.
Re: Sms To Email/database System by Nobody: 11:41pm On Mar 05, 2010
Men boys are great in Nigeria.

And Nairaland have great coders.

Logik. All respect all the way, I drop my cap!!!
Re: Sms To Email/database System by quadrillio(m): 2:33pm On Mar 06, 2010
@Donpozo,

I pick the cap, wear am back for your head, lol

I respect fellow programmers when I see a good one, lojik, DHTML, DualCore, Yawatide, to mention a few

I did something similar to this when I was building a bulk SMS portal, n I know what it takes.

we are together. naija coders for life.
Re: Sms To Email/database System by Nobody: 2:56pm On Mar 06, 2010
lolzzzzzzz.

No be small thing na. Even some small coding na wrong tags dey frustrate person

When building enterprise softwares using Java or C++ its better for me to work as a team ohhhh or else i go take my time.

(1) (Reply)

Let Port Harcourt Bloggers Meet Here / Top 25 Richest Internet Entrepreneurs In The World / 50+ Article Submission Sites List 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.