Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,416 members, 7,808,487 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:39 PM

ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers (13597 Views)

FG Offers Placement To Ukraine-based Nigerian Students Amid ASUU Strike / Don Davis' Medical Report Silent On Sexual Abuse At Deeper Life High School / FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by JothamPerfection(m): 5:34am On Sep 11, 2017
The Academic Staff Union of Universities has said it will not disclose when it will hold its meetings to consider the Federal Government’s offers, aimed at resolving the ongoing strike.

The ASUU President, Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi, said this on Sunday while responding to our correspondent’s inquiry as to when the union would meet to examine the Federal Government’s offers and resolve the strike.

The union and the Federal Government’s delegation held a 14-hour meeting on Thursday, after which they issued a communiqué, in which ASUU was asked to revert to the government within one week.

The ASUU President had on Friday said in an interview that he could not determine when the union would call off its strike until its members met to decide the next course of action.

This is also as the National Association of Nigerian Students on Saturday promised to meet the ASUU executives and consider the government’s offers with a view to ending the strike.

The NANS spokesperson, Bestman Okereafor, had said this in a statement released in Enugu State.

When contacted to comment on when the union would meet to consider the government’s positions, the ASUU President said in a text message, “Good morning. Sorry. We don’t tell outsiders the arrangements of our meetings. Have a great Sunday.”

source
http://punchng.com/ASUU-silent-on-meeting-to-consider-fgs-offers/

1 Like

Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by KendrickAyomide: 6:01am On Sep 11, 2017
to hell.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by Christonjnr(m): 7:09am On Sep 11, 2017
ASUU can't resist the offer.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by Mikee7(m): 7:58am On Sep 11, 2017
Students in public universities have already started looking for job and starting business, something that could even be better than completing their degree, while I'm here having class from 9-6 pm angry

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by massinola(m): 7:58am On Sep 11, 2017
Every Nigerian who passed through a public Nigerian university is certain to add additional one year to his /her required years of study. This has got no other explanation than the routine ASUU ritual in the name of strike.
It has become a norm for ASUU to go on strike at least twice every year. This has made it impossible for Nigerian youths to have smooth, hitch free academic session. One must pass through this frustration before graduation all because ASUU and Federal government have refused to put the future of the Nigeria youths first before their selfish interests.
The annoying part of it all is the way ASUU always use this emotional blackmail of fighting for the well being of the students in other to draw public sympathy. ASUU knows that once they go on strike, parents will start talking, media will start talking, NGOs will start talking, human right activists will starting talking, thereby making sure the government have no choice but listen to them. So, ASUU has continued to use the Nigeria youths and their academics as leverage to get whatever they wanted from the government.
The Nigeria government also from time immemorial has vowed that Nigeria youths must never have a good education by constantly neglecting the educational sector to rot to death. Why? The answer is not far fetched, they use our collective resources to send their words to the best universities abroad and allow the tax payers children to suffer the degenerated educational system in the country. They don't want any poor man to challenge them for power tomorrow. They rule us now and pave the way for their children to rule us tomorrow. Wickedness and selfishness if you asked me.
ASUU and her members are not in anyway better off from the Nigeria government. The same ASUU who always claim to fight for the interest of Nigeria students are the ones who turn around to frustrate, harass, victimize, extort, and molest the same students they claim to fight for. So many of them are so heartless and wicked that most students who graduate from universities with 2:2,3rd class, and 2:1, did not just do that because that's what their capabilities can get them, but because one lecturer vowed that if you don't dance to his tune, he must show you. They are everywhere in our institutions. ASUU knows this and continuously protect these bad elements because they are all in it. If you make mistake and report any of them, you just dugged your own grave as other lecturers will frustrate you to death. So, what are the evidences that show ASUU has any good intention for the students?
This fracas with the federal government has lingered so much that it's time for Nigerian students to take a stand and say enough is enough. ASUU will declare strike, still be collecting their salaries (not against that though) for six months plus while the students waste in idleness at home. At the end, ASUU will claim to have negotiated with the government, collect their share of the national cake and kpam, the strike is suspended. Till next year, and the cycle continues. The last time ASUU went on strike, some billions of naira were released to them. Please in all honesty, who amongst Nigerian students noticed any change infrastructure wise, instructional material wise, lecture presentation wise and so on as regards the money released to ASUU. They shared the money and now we are on another strike.
Again, ASUU has started another negotiation and have been given some offers too. They have gone to discuss with their members on the offer by the federal government. I know for sure they will accept the offer, collect the money, share it and suspend the strike. Next year, another strike will be declared and the cycle continues.
Aside the gross negligence on the part of the Federal government with regards to our education sector, ASUU members are also the major contributors to the rot in our education. They are too crude, lack information and the will power to deliver in their duties. Most of them are only good in playing demi god in their different departments. If there's anything ASUU should do for the students, it's to curb the excesses of their members, train them to know they are to guide students and not to scare them with their reckless utterances. Aside that, even if the government injects all the national budget into the education sector, we will still remain where we are.
I call on ASUU to as a matter of fact reject any offer that doesn't fulfill the so called 2009 agreement if they actually have the interest of the Nigeria students at heart. Why did I say this? I said so because, it is of no use telling us you have suspended the strike when you and I know that another strike looms in the nearest future. So ASUU should settle this madness with the government once and for all. They should stop kidnapping the Nigerian students and using us to demand ransom from the government. Settle this 2009 agreement, make sure it is fulfilled before calling off the strike. Don't accept any offer that will lead to another strike. That's my take. Nigeria students are tired of the game ASUU and federal government are playing with our future

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by Emily22(m): 7:58am On Sep 11, 2017
Abeg 2 more weeks.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by joburiel(m): 7:58am On Sep 11, 2017
good morning nairalanders. I just woke up
Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by Silentscreamer(f): 7:58am On Sep 11, 2017
The earlier the better
Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by stinggy(m): 7:58am On Sep 11, 2017
ASUU will always hide under conditions such as "improved learning for students, grants for indigent students, poor hostel facilities for students, poor funding for academic researches" to press home their largely selfish financial interests.
Grant these their requests and you'll see that the same students they said they fought for will soon protest the bad conditions of their hostels yet the schools won't do anything than drive them out and declare mid-semester break. Before resuming back, students will be made to sign undertaking and levied huge amount as damages even if nothing gets spoilt in their protests undecided

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by tolexy123: 7:58am On Sep 11, 2017
We know it's all about their pockets undecided

1 Like

Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by laryom1(m): 7:59am On Sep 11, 2017
Well, if they go through with this, NASU and SSANU just started theirs today grin
Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by Dollabiz: 8:00am On Sep 11, 2017
H
mm
Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by Nobody: 8:02am On Sep 11, 2017
Nice move by ASUU.
Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by babyfaceafrica: 8:02am On Sep 11, 2017
ASUU and money are like bee and honey.......I know before the ns of the month sha ,they will accept... And come back back again next year
Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by Godwin999(m): 8:03am On Sep 11, 2017
Will that time ever be when ASUU and FG will do those meetings in public?
When every student will know the truth. When we can be sure we are not blind. It grieves me that its whats in the news we know. One undergraduate will be happy hes not doing some courses right now. I will do what it takes to get the youth out of this ignominy.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by Mikee7(m): 8:03am On Sep 11, 2017
massinola:
Every Nigerian who passed through a public Nigerian university is certain to add additional one year to his /her required years of study. This has got no other explanation than the routine ASUU ritual in the name of strike. ...
Bros this your epistle long oh, longer than the original post sef

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by CornelG(m): 8:03am On Sep 11, 2017
Hissses
Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by joburiel(m): 8:04am On Sep 11, 2017
massinola:
Every Nigerian who passed through a public Nigerian university is certain to add additional one year to his /her required years of study. This has got no other explanation than the routine ASUU ritual in the name of strike.
It has become a norm for ASUU to go on strike at least twice every year. This has made it impossible for Nigerian youths to have smooth, hitch free academic session. One must pass through this frustration before graduation all because ASUU and Federal government have refused to put the future of the Nigeria youths first before their selfish interests.
The annoying part of it all is the way ASUU always use this emotional blackmail of fighting for the well being of the students in other to draw public sympathy. ASUU knows that once they go on strike, parents will start talking, media will start talking, NGOs will start talking, human right activists will starting talking, thereby making sure the government have no choice but listen to them. So, ASUU has continued to use the Nigeria youths and their academics as leverage to get whatever they wanted from the government.
The Nigeria government also from time immemorial has vowed that Nigeria youths must never have a good education by constantly neglecting the educational sector to rot to death. Why? The answer is not far fetched, they use our collective resources to send their words to the best universities abroad and allow the tax payers children to suffer the degenerated educational system in the country. They don't want any poor man to challenge them for power tomorrow. They rule us now and pave the way for their children to rule us tomorrow. Wickedness and selfishness if you asked me.
ASUU and her members are not in anyway better off from the Nigeria government. The same ASUU who always claim to fight for the interest of Nigeria students are the ones who turn around to frustrate, harass, victimize, extort, and molest the same students they claim to fight for. So many of them are so heartless and wicked that most students who graduate from universities with 2:2,3rd class, and 2:1, did not just do that because that's what their capabilities can get them, but because one lecturer vowed that if you don't dance to his tune, he must show you. They are everywhere in our institutions. ASUU knows this and continuously protect these bad elements because they are all in it. If you make mistake and report any of them, you just dugged your own grave as other lecturers will frustrate you to death. So, what are the evidences that show ASUU has any good intention for the students?
This fracas with the federal government has lingered so much that it's time for Nigerian students to take a stand and say enough is enough. ASUU will declare strike, still be collecting their salaries (not against that though) for six months plus while the students waste in idleness at home. At the end, ASUU will claim to have negotiated with the government, collect their share of the national cake and kpam, the strike is suspended. Till next year, and the cycle continues. The last time ASUU went on strike, some billions of naira were released to them. Please in all honesty, who amongst Nigerian students noticed any change infrastructure wise, instructional material wise, lecture presentation wise and so on as regards the money released to ASUU. They shared the money and now we are on another strike.
Again, ASUU has started another negotiation and have been given some offers too. They have gone to discuss with their members on the offer by the federal government. I know for sure they will accept the offer, collect the money, share it and suspend the strike. Next year, another strike will be declared and the cycle continues.
Aside the gross negligence on the part of the Federal government with regards to our education sector, ASUU members are also the major contributors to the rot in our education. They are too crude, lack information and the will power to deliver in their duties. Most of them are only good in playing demi god in their different departments. If there's anything ASUU should do for the students, it's to curb the excesses of their members, train them to know they are to guide students and not to scare them with their reckless utterances. Aside that, even if the government injects all the national budget into the education sector, we will still remain where we are.
I call on ASUU to as a matter of fact reject any offer that doesn't fulfill the so called 2009 agreement if they actually have the interest of the Nigeria students at heart. Why did I say this? I said so because, it is of no use telling us you have suspended the strike when you and I know that another strike looms in the nearest future. So ASUU should settle this madness with the government once and for all. They should stop kidnapping the Nigerian students and using us to demand ransom from the government. Settle this 2009 agreement, make sure it is fulfilled before calling off the strike. Don't accept any offer that will lead to another strike. That's my take. Nigeria students are tired of the game ASUU and federal government are playing with our future
I wish all these things you wrote will call off the strike.

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by Desdola(m): 8:05am On Sep 11, 2017
ASUU should consider the students and come to terms with the federal government.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by Brugo(m): 8:08am On Sep 11, 2017
ASUU is the real problem of universities in Nigeria. Next thing for them is to compare university funding with other countries. Can we also compare teaching methods with other countries?

A word to students at home. Learn an IT skill. Learn photography, interior decoration, music production, etc. The parties in this impasse don't care a hoot about you.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by gracein: 8:10am On Sep 11, 2017
happy birthday to me. please give me my gift(likes).

6 Likes

Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by massinola(m): 8:12am On Sep 11, 2017
joburiel:
I wish all these things you wrote will call off the strike.
Did you read what I wrote?
Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by tokrizy: 8:12am On Sep 11, 2017
Mikee7:
Students in public universities have already started looking for job and starting business, something that could even be better than completing their degree, while I'm here having class from 9-6 pm angry
. . . PUBLIC UNIVERSITY . . . . dis 1 muzz me
Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by riyanxeally(f): 8:17am On Sep 11, 2017
ASUU
association of skillful union of
usurpers....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by Zzzina: 8:18am On Sep 11, 2017
ASUU is a sham
Re: ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers by aod1(m): 8:23am On Sep 11, 2017
Emily22:
Abeg 2 more weeks.....futa don frustrate my life
You are not well bro.....you can stay home when sch resumes

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? / WAEC Releases 2021 WASSCE Results for Private candidates / National Library Building To Be Completed At 50 Billion Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.