Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,400 members, 7,808,432 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:54 AM

Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) (40628 Views)

Biography, Net Worth Of Kamala Harris, The US Vice President-Elect / Speaker Pelosi Calls Biden ‘President-Elect’ / Cyril Ramaphosa Declared President Of South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by DONSMITH123(m): 1:36pm On Sep 13, 2017
here we go again

Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by babyfaceafrica: 1:36pm On Sep 13, 2017
And they say we are the leaders of tommorow?..old people everywhere you go save france

1 Like

Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by WebSurfer(m): 1:37pm On Sep 13, 2017
Unbreakable007:
That con3 is in trouble.

Ask me why.
ignorance
Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by Nobody: 1:40pm On Sep 13, 2017
Yes!
Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by Gerrard59(m): 1:41pm On Sep 13, 2017
Lee Loong has enthroned mediocrity in Singapore. That lady does not deserve the post, neither are most Singaporeans in support of it. The post was reserved for only Malays as opposed to anyone irrespective of race, who desires to become the president. Lee Kuan Yew must be angry in his grave.

Moreover, the president in Singapore has little powers, the defacto leader is Lee Hsien Loong (son of Lee Kuan Yew - founding father of modern day Singapore).

2 Likes

Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by ariwamichael(m): 1:41pm On Sep 13, 2017
midehi2:
When will a woman rule Naija wink

Inshort they should wait for me, will be a president after 2019 tongue

ma'am we do not want a female president...i mean take a cue from Diezani...hope i spelt her name right
Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by Bobnotrouble: 1:42pm On Sep 13, 2017
Nice one!
Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by DrChatNuff: 1:43pm On Sep 13, 2017
Diazani for prezz.....
Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by bleskid: 1:43pm On Sep 13, 2017
midehi2:

how far
Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by maximus4455(m): 1:43pm On Sep 13, 2017
See wonder requirements before you can contest for the top seat. Only in my country , a candidate who doesn't even possess a dignified certificate will contest for president. Only in my country. Singapore is a serious country with a vision,

4 Likes

Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by Gerrard59(m): 1:44pm On Sep 13, 2017
Ihutomi:
An Islamic country wow am impressed

Singapore is not an Islamic country. Chinese constitute roughly 73% of the population. Singaporeans of malaysian origin constitutes majority of Muslims in Singapore. The Chinese are mainly Buddhist and minimally Christians.

5 Likes

Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by Orobo2Lekpa: 1:44pm On Sep 13, 2017
midehi2:

Runz, begging, and Brazilian hair will not allow some of them fulfil their potential.
The many that are have potential are being stifled by Men, Religion, culture and the society

I hope I made sense at the end

1 Like

Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by wickyyolo: 1:47pm On Sep 13, 2017
It's a pity our women are not President materials
Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by fk001(m): 1:48pm On Sep 13, 2017
Badgers14:
Female president in a Muslim country..
Wow... Interesting. Congrats to her.

Bangladesh is also an Islamic country that has female president,

1 Like

Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by Funkybabee(f): 1:49pm On Sep 13, 2017
When their religion said women should stay indoor
Waooooooooh am really impressed

Congrats ma
Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by fk001(m): 1:51pm On Sep 13, 2017
Gerrard59:

Singapore is not an Islamic country. Chinese constitute roughly 73% of the population. Singaporeans of malaysian origin constitutes majority of Muslims in Singapore. The Chinese are mainly Buddhist and minimally Christians.

But all the contestants were Muslims, and where did you get that your 73% from?

4 Likes

Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by salt1: 1:54pm On Sep 13, 2017
I love the conditions. You must have run a successful business before aspiring to run a nation.
How I wish.....

3 Likes

Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by peacemara54(m): 1:54pm On Sep 13, 2017
Am a trusted supplier of quality honey. Go to bed & sleep when you transact with me.

We deliver to states in nigeria
pure, unadulterated honey
Check my signature
Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by Nobody: 1:54pm On Sep 13, 2017
Badgers14:
if Singapore is a Muslim country then Nigeria is a Muslim country.
Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by Gerrard59(m): 1:58pm On Sep 13, 2017
fk001:

But all the contestants were Muslims, and where did you get that your 73% from?

That's because the post of the president was reserved for ONLY Singaporeans of Malay origin. Majority of such people are Muslims, hence Muslims will be the contestants.

It was reserved because according to a survey by the government published in the Straits Times of Singapore, majority of Singaporeans still have racial biases. There's no way an election will be conducted in Singapore that a Chinese Singaporean won't win - they are the majority.

However, Singapore espouses meritocracy, which reserving a post for a particular race is a sign of mediocrity.

7 Likes

Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by fk001(m): 2:00pm On Sep 13, 2017
Gerrard59:

That's because the post of the president was reserved for ONLY Singaporeans of Malay origin. Majority of such people are Muslims, hence Muslims will be the contestants.

It was reserved because according to a survey by the government published in the Straits Times of Singapore, majority of Singaporeans still have racial biases. There's no way an election will be conducted in Singapore that a Chinese Singaporean won't win - they are the majority.

However, Singapore espouses meritocracy, which reserving a post for a particular race is a sign of mediocrity.

okay
Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by kaywhy09(m): 2:00pm On Sep 13, 2017
midehi2:

Naijabet?
Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by Corson: 2:05pm On Sep 13, 2017
Badgers14:

As a Muslim, I'd like to point out that Singapore is not a Muslim country. In fact, Muslims only constitute only about 14% of the population.

Ihutomi:
An Islamic country wow am impressed

She's not the first. Bangladesh currently has a female Prime Minister; her name is Sheikh Hasina.

What's the difference between a Muslim country and an Islamic country?

First and foremost, one should know that people that follow Islam are known as Muslims. The same way people who follow Judaism are known as Jews, Christianity as Christians, Hinduism as Hindus, Buddhism as Buddhists. Right, that being said, cleared and explained. Let's move on.

Most time on Nairaland, I see people use 'Muslim country' & 'Islamic country' wrongly in their post, and I just want to correct that mistake.

A state can be referred to as a MUSLIM COUNTRY if the majority of its citizens are Muslims, e.g. Turkey, Gambia & Chad. By constitution, some of these countries are also secular, just that they have more Muslims than any other religion. For example, India has more than 80% Hindu citizens, but it's still a secular country, not a Hindu country.

Similarly, Israel is a secular state even though more than 75% of its citizens are Jews, 17% Muslims, 2% Christians and other religions share the rest. At times, Israel is referred to as a Jewish State; this is just to show that it has a Jewish majority, not because the Constitution said so.

An Islamic country, on the other hand, is a country which by law declares itself to be an Islamic country, e.g. Islamic Republic of Iran, Saudi Arabia, Islamic Republic of Pakistan. The norm for these countries is to use Shari'ah as their legal system, but some of them do sprinkle a little bit of democracy once in a while.

6 Likes

Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by ivolt: 2:07pm On Sep 13, 2017
Unbreakable007:
That con3 is in trouble.

Ask me why.

Yeah the same way Germany is in trouble.
Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by midehi2(f): 2:07pm On Sep 13, 2017
bleskid:
how far
Afar dey mosque grin
Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by Pharoh: 2:09pm On Sep 13, 2017
Reserving a post for a particular race does not.constitute mediocrity and you can see that in the conditions and process used to select a qualifying candidate.
Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by Etoom(m): 2:10pm On Sep 13, 2017
Smiles...She deserve the seat! smiley
seeing good leadership in her face not money leadership :-D :-D Smiles...She deserve the seat! smiley
seeing good leadership in her face not money leadership :-D :-D
Smiles...She deserve the seat! smiley
seeing good leadership in her face not money leadership :-D :-D
Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by midehi2(f): 2:14pm On Sep 13, 2017
ariwamichael:

ma'am we do not want a female president...i mean take a cue from Diezani...hope i spelt her name right
Because she fvcked up doesn't mean another female will, some countries have female as their president and they are doing well, If someone like me should rule this country, i swear things will change wink
Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by olowobaba10: 2:15pm On Sep 13, 2017
SHE IS JUST A CEREMONIAL PRESIDENT, ALL THE POWERS ARE WITH THE PRIME MINISTER AND THE PARLIAMENT .

1 Like

Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by Kingspin(m): 2:15pm On Sep 13, 2017
The surprising package is that she became president without election. The reason was that she comes from minority tribe of Singapore and they have never rule the country before. Each election the majority wins. Now the parliament agree to suspend election to pave way for minority to rule the country for the time. This is to give all Singaporean equal opportunity and sense of belonging.

1 Like

Re: Halimah Yacob Declared President-Elect Of Singapore (Photo) by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 13, 2017
midehi2:

It can neva happen... stop living in fool's paradise

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Luca Attanasio, Italian Ambassador To DR Congo Killed After Convoy Attacked / Biya's Car Breaks Down At National Day Celebration - Photo / Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.