Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,582 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:31 PM

Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! (4017 Views)

Religion And Poverty In Africa. Why Is The ‘most Religious’ Country The ‘poorest / Top 10 Most Religious Countries In The World / Ghana Is The Most Religious Country On Earth. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by Euclid(m): 2:24pm On Feb 15, 2007
Hi All undecided

Can anyone please give me viable reason as to why Nigeria is one of the religious countries in the world?

At a point in time Warri (Delta State) was said to have more churches per square mile than any other place in the world.

The are serious ascertions and my own personal take on this is that RELIGION IS THE OPIUM OF THE POOR!!

Hence Nigeria is a country with a lot of ppl leaving below the poverty line and so they need Salvation from their poverty.

When we achieve our destiny as a nation (Social Welfare) this may spell the end of deceptive reliogious norms and probably evn the decline of religious tension in the country.

Euclidian Geometry is a Farce shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by mrpataki(m): 2:42pm On Feb 15, 2007
Are you as well looking for a religious debate or something?

All this they say they say. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Bring out your facts then, we can talk better.
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by mazaje(m): 2:58pm On Feb 15, 2007
people are just into religion in nigeria because u really need to belive in 'something' else every body will be dead by now, cos as it is with all the religion and religion adherants and what not nigeria is the place where crime,death,desturuction and all forms of evil these religions are against holds way. i am living a very non religious society here in europe and the people are far more honest and open minded than the very religious nigerians that are busy decieving and destroying them selves all in the name of religion and madness. i have been around europe too and the free thinking/very little religious people i see all over the place to me are far better people compared to the very religious average nigerian that will go to the church or mosque all day and night and end up stealing,killing,or destroying his fellow neigbhour. infact thats just the way of life out there(nigeria). i remember the time the useless OBJ came out on air and said that God told him to rule and some people believed him because of the too much belief in religion not fairness. it just does'nt make any sense to me and the people in general but because we just dont want to open our eyes and do what is right we prefer to hang on to religion to our own detriment.
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by gaby(m): 3:35pm On Feb 15, 2007
The honest answer to your question is simply not far-fetched and i type in bold "POVERTY", If It were possible for Nigerians to have the kind of life-style obtainable in most not-so religious countries believe you me most Nigerians wont be scared to tell you there is nothing like God, Why would you be looking up to heaven when almost all you need in your day to day life are readily available to you, It's just simple to know that Nigerians out of desperation and hopelessness have decided that since the state has failed them in almost all facets of life the only resort and consolation will be to be looking up to heaven to a God arranged by the white man as a tool to successfully carry out their nefarious act of slave-trade, The white folks look at us blacks and laugh their asses out knowing and seeing that the idea they sold to us has been so embraced and taken to by us that you would believe it was our idea in the first place,

This is my take and my personal opinion.I respect other people's views and beliefs and so no one should come in here and start bashing me for believing what i believe and stating my views,

One love

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by Nobody: 4:51pm On Feb 15, 2007
POVERTY!

Religion is the opium of economically oppressed people.
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by Hugoboi(m): 4:55pm On Feb 15, 2007
POVERTY!

says it all!!!
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by exu(m): 4:59pm On Feb 15, 2007
Poverty clearly isn't the whole answer when there are people living like kings in Nigeria who also slavishly follow religious doctrine.

Not all of these people are involved in politics mind, so it isn't purely a case of power.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by mazaje(m): 12:19am On Feb 16, 2007
its really not purely a case of power but the people in power are using it as a tool to oppress the poor just as the white people that brought the idea of religion used it to get control of the africans. here in europe and america people are not into religion at all and every thing is going on well, their God is money but in africa its all about waiting on God people fail to do what is right and keep on waiting for a devine intervention that will never come. here no body waits upon anything people just do what they have to do and give in their best not waiting on some thing to come and help them when all the ability lies in them.In nigeria the system is terriblely bad and you just have to believe in some thing else the level of destruction will be unimaginable.
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by dblock(m): 11:04am On Feb 16, 2007
davidylan:

POVERTY!

Maybe true, but I'll rephrase that for you
Economically oppressed people are more liable to see the true light

If being economically oppressed means that we see the trute light, then economically oppressed people are the blessed.

Afterall it is said in the goodbook that "blessed are the poor"
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by 4Play(m): 1:21pm On Feb 16, 2007
The United States is said to be the most religious nation in the developed world,yet its people are not wallowing in poverty.For instance,compared to Britain,the US has higher income levels but yet is more religious than than Britain

Gulf Arab countries have high levels of religiosity simultaneously with high levels of income

I believe our religiosity is down to a mixture of economic and cultural factors.On one hand,economic deprivation has a part to play but on the other,we have historically been a religious people even before colonisation

I suppose the next question is,why has it been our culture historically to be religious .I think it has to do the fact we have not been exposed to the scale of secularist forces unleashed in the Western World since the Age of Enlightment

Besides we just found Christianity and Islam relatively recently,in the fullness of time its attractions might fade away
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by cuteass1(f): 8:54am On Feb 18, 2007
I personally do not agree with the fact of poverty and religion going hand in hand. To begin with, the white man who introduced religion to Nigeria are not by any means poor.,by the way there are lots of rich/wealthy people in Nigeria who are very religious, so
Some white people left their butter and bread countries and are in Nigeria(africa) cos of religious and missionary works , so what's their excuse
I live in europe and i won't say i'm living from hand to mouth and i love GOD more than anything, why is that
The fact that Nigeria might be the most religious country is just a coincidence and has nothing to do with poverty or circumstance or is it so difficult to believe people just want to serve/worship God and the majority happens to lie in Nigeria
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by hotangel2(f): 10:43am On Feb 18, 2007
cute-ass:

I personally do not agree with the fact of poverty and religion going hand in hand. To begin with, the white man who introduced religion to Nigeria are not by any means poor.,by the way there are lots of rich/wealthy people in Nigeria who are very religious, so
Some white people left their butter and bread countries and are in Nigeria(africa) because of religious and missionary works , so what's their excuse
I live in europe and i won't say i'm living from hand to mouth and i love GOD more than anything, why is that
The fact that Nigeria might be the most religious country is just a coincidence and has nothing to do with poverty or circumstance or is it so difficult to believe people just want to serve/worship God and the majority happens to lie in Nigeria

makes sense.

I also dont think poverty and religion go hand in hand when it comes to Nigeria's case. Don't get me wrong now, You could have an argument there, and be on some levels absolutley right. But I think That Religion in Nigeria is more of a cultural thing.

It's just a way of living if i might say. We are Religious people in Nigeria. It's not just about christianity or islam, it's just who we are, thats how it has been, and thats probably how it'll continue to be.
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by jagunlabi(m): 4:48pm On Feb 18, 2007
Poverty is the most viable reason.
Nigerians flock to churches and mosques for the same selfish and materialistic reasons they would to a babalawo's shrine.Nigerians are,and will remain a people that believes almost exclusively that manna falls from heaven,and churches and mosques are where you go to collect them.
"GOD WILL PROVIDE",remember that line?
Nigerians are perfect proofs that religion(as it is practiced today) does not make a good human being.
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by Nella(f): 3:16pm On Feb 21, 2007
correction: Nigeria is not d most religious country, but d country where d people r just so gulible that they would go any where if u just mention d word "MIRACLE" seriously i do belive in miracle, but Nigerians all they want is miracle ( not all) n most of them don't go 2 church 2 worship God but 2 look for Miracle, n diz is not wat u call religious!!
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by 4Play(m): 11:37pm On Feb 21, 2007
Our religosity is not an entirely bad thing.It does more good than harm.It is one of the things preventing our society from disintegrating
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by TV01(m): 12:21am On Feb 22, 2007
4 Play:

It is one of the things preventing our society from disintegrating

Enter religious delusion. Religion is one of the most malevolent phenomena in Nigeria right now. Along with it's brother, politics it proves something that men have known for centuries. Religion and politics are the source of most of the worlds problems.

Spiritual codswallop angry!
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by WesleyanA(f): 12:22am On Feb 22, 2007
Nella:

correction: Nigeria is not d most religious country, but d country where d people r just so gulible that they would go any where if u just mention d word "MIRACLE" seriously i do believe in miracle, but Nigerians all they want is miracle ( not all) n most of them don't go 2 church 2 worship God but 2 look for Miracle, n diz is not what u call religious!!

did you hear about the guy that stole thousands (or millions?) of money from his boss (sheraton hotel) and donated it to his pastor oyakhilome (or some other big pastor) in hope that God will return the money in double fold (the pastor had been preaching about sowing seeds).

a lot of people are truly just gulible and don't worship for the right reasons.
religion is now a form of business in Nigeria. every one's opening their own church. I wont be surprised if there are streets where there are more than 5 churches.
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by Nella(f): 11:38pm On Feb 22, 2007
WesleyanA:

did you hear about the guy that stole thousands (or millions?) of money from his boss (sheraton hotel) and donated it to his pastor oyakhilome (or some other big pastor) in hope that God will return the money in double fold (the pastor had been preaching about sowing seeds).

a lot of people are truly just gulible and don't worship for the right reasons.
religion is now a form of business in Nigeria. every one's opening their own church. I wont be surprised if there are streets where there are more than 5 churches.

about d story : lololol!!!!

Street with more than 5 churches!!: absolutely true!!!!!!! i just pity d people who live in such streets!!!
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by Jen33(m): 1:18am On Feb 23, 2007
If only the 'two major world religions' would simply practise true religion - of whose long and short is to love thy neighbour as thyself - the world would be a terrific place.

Instead they spend time worshipping the messenger(s) of their 'religion' - forgetting entirely about the message.
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by Vintage: 9:10am On Feb 23, 2007
I am a Christian myself, yet sadly I have to say religion is one of the things that has hampered African people world wide.

I beleive its created this inferiority complex amongst us, as weare always looking to outsiders for help.

We need to understand that the solution to Nigerias problems lies with us. Weworship this white man on a cross who is not Jesus, but an imposter.

If you do not believe me read Daniel 10:6, Daniel 7:9, and Revelations 1:12-14. These verses give a full description of what Jesus loked like, yet like slaves we refuse to see the good in ourselves, contnue o embrace what the white mn gve to us.

IMAGINE THAT, WE ARE ARGUING OVER 2 RELIGIONSWHICH WERE USED AS TOOLS TO INSLAVE US, WHAT A DISGRACE.

YET WE HAVE THE NERVE TO CELEBRATE INDEPENDANCE DAY, WHEN WE CLEARLY ARE NOT.
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by Ndipe(m): 10:23am On Nov 28, 2007
@Vintage, you are a Christian, yet you do not believe in Jesus Christ as the Savior? Please clarify!
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by dafidixone(m): 10:50am On Nov 28, 2007
Hi All

Can anyone please give me viable reason as to why Nigeria is one of the religious countries in the world?

At a point in time Warri (Delta State) was said to have more churches per square mile than any other place in the world.

The are serious ascertions and my own personal take on this is that RELIGION IS THE OPIUM OF THE POOR!!

Hence Nigeria is a country with a lot of people leaving below the poverty line and so they need Salvation from their poverty.

When we achieve our destiny as a nation (Social Welfare) this may spell the end of deceptive reliogious norms and probably evn the decline of religious tension in the country.

Euclidian Geometry is a Farce

Where is that findings from? grin
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by focused(m): 11:28am On Nov 28, 2007
POVERTY!

You are right Davidylan, but I don't think poverty is all the reasons. Also mysterious problems is also part of the reason.
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by focused(m): 11:35am On Nov 28, 2007
USA IS EQUALLY AS RELIGIOUS AS NIGERIA, AND USA IS NOT A POOR COUNTRY.

I THINK MOST PEOPLE WHO BUILD CHURCHES ALL OVER THE PLACES IN NIGERIA ARE NOT CALLED FOR SUCH VOCATION, BUT THEY DO THAT OUT OF POVERTY. A WAY OF MAKING MONEY.

MYSTERIOUS PROBLEMS IS ALSO PART OF THE REASONS WHY MOST PEOPLE IN NIGERIA ARE RELIGIOUS. SOME OF THEM HAVE EXPERIENCED PROBLEMS WHICH HAVE DEFY MEDICAL SOLUTION AND WERE ABLE TO FIND SOLUTION BY GOING TO ONE OF THE CHURCHES.
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by focused(m): 11:52am On Nov 28, 2007

Hi All

[b]Can anyone please give me viable reason as to why Nigeria is one of the religious countries in the world?

Hence Nigeria is a country with a lot of people leaving below the poverty line and so they need Salvation from their poverty.

Euclidian Geometry is a Farce

The reason why Nigeria is poor is not because of religion. We say we are Independent, but we are still dependent on the white man. We are indebted on the loans we are getting. Nigerians yet unborn is owning the white man.

We say we are free but we are still slaves. A slave is a slave when he have not remove slavery from his mind.

Why do we have to depend on the IMF, World bank and Transparenct International to tell us the state of our country. All these institutions were created by the white man to protect their interest.

The reason why we are poor is because :

our country is not stable (politically),

The leaders are corrupt. Looting is a serious business. Always stealing our money and resources to white man's land, and a white man will never steal his country money to Africa.

We do not have a vision as a country. Even if someone sets a vision, that vision is not followed up.

We are fond of pulling each other down. When one person is about to get to the top we pull him or her down.

We promote mediocres and people who have nothing to offer the country and demote talented people.

Honestly there is a problem in the country.

We don't believe in ourselves.

I think religion is helping us through prayers, that is why we have not disintegrated into bits a long time ago. If you study the history of Nigeria very well, you will see that whenever anything tragic wants to happen, that will break the country, there is always a divine intervention.[/b]
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by dtwsola(m): 5:20pm On Nov 28, 2007
focused:

USA IS EQUALLY AS RELIGIOUS AS NIGERIA, AND USA IS NOT A POOR COUNTRY.

I THINK MOST PEOPLE WHO BUILD CHURCHES ALL OVER THE PLACES IN NIGERIA ARE NOT CALLED FOR SUCH VOCATION, BUT THEY DO THAT OUT OF POVERTY. A WAY OF MAKING MONEY.

MYSTERIOUS PROBLEMS IS ALSO PART OF THE REASONS WHY MOST PEOPLE IN NIGERIA ARE RELIGIOUS. SOME OF THEM HAVE EXPERIENCED PROBLEMS WHICH HAVE DEFY MEDICAL SOLUTION AND WERE ABLE TO FIND SOLUTION BY GOING TO ONE OF THE CHURCHES.

Even in the U.S, you’ll find that the poorest and most downtrodden areas tend to be the most religious. The most prominent community leaders in poor black American communities are both reverends (Jesse & Al). Now look at countries like Norway, Sweden, and Japan which all have high standards of living, but more balanced wealth distribution. I think it is more than mere coincidence that they are also among the least religious countries in the world. I think Sweden is 85% atheistic/humanistic, yet always ranked as one of the most developed countries. Religion most definitely is a strong function of poverty.
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by bindex(m): 2:23am On Nov 29, 2007
Nigeria is dying today because of religion. All religions were created out of the fear of the many and the cleverness of a few,  Africans are taught by religion and superstition to fear too many things, anything that man wants to do must be done by man himself, America is an athiest country so is china, sweden,norway,austria and all the other developed countries, we waste our time believeing in what the white man used in ensalving us.there are so many good things about religion to be candid but its purpose is just to put people in line in general it serves as a constriant to develpoment , if nigerians had what they wanted in life(basic things in life and quite a large amount of disposable income) like let's say the people in sweden i believe nigeria will be the country with the highest number of athiests in the world, we all know that nigerians are just too religious because of the level of poverty that is out there.
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by MP007(m): 4:03am On Nov 29, 2007
lets ask ourselves a candid question, why are most nigerians going to churches and other religious venues? It is because they "really" love God that much or what? It amazes me anytime I ponder why nigeria is still the way it is despite the fact that its people are very religious, whats going on? Its too intricate to decipher
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by Horus(m): 11:46am On Nov 29, 2007
Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country?
Because Nigeria is The Most Brainwhashed Country!
Most European online forum dont even have a religious section anymore,and even if some have you will not see as much religious threads as HERE on Nairaland.
The religion forum of Nairaland is the biggest meeting of religious and brainwhashed religious fanatics on the internet,This is ridiculous,this is a world record ,and yes Nigeria is The Most religious Brainwhashed Country in the world.
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by mazaje(m): 7:46pm On Nov 29, 2007
Just as one poster said nigeria is really dying because of religion
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by dot2002(m): 11:19pm On Nov 29, 2007
fasting, pretending to be humble, praying for massive congregation instead of organizing business empowerment seminars to make them viable member of the society, praying for an hungry man instead of feeding him, praying for a widow instead of clothing her and sending her children to school, and so on. Religious Nigerians thinks God is dumb, they try to pull wool on God eye by night vigils every last Saturday of the month,
Re: Why Is Nigeria The Most Religious Country! by IDINRETE: 6:54pm On Dec 03, 2007
dot2002:

fasting, pretending to be humble, praying for massive congregation instead of organizing business empowerment seminars to make them viable member of the society, praying for an hungry man instead of feeding him, praying for a widow instead of clothing her and sending her children to school, and so on. Religious Nigerians thinks God is dumb, they try to pull wool on God eye by night vigils every last Saturday of the month,

you this girl take time o  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

There Shall Be No War In Nigeria. Prayer Points / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome And His daughters share Christmas photoshoot. (photo) / Is Jesus Christ God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.