Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,892 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:03 AM

ASUU Strike: No End In Sight - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: No End In Sight (22415 Views)

Strike: No End In Sight, State Varsities Insist / No End In Sight To ASUU, Federal Government Face Off / ASUU Strike: No School In Kogi Has Been On Strike In The Last 5 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by activistjohnny(m): 2:33am On Sep 15, 2017
Gbenro Adesina/Ibadan

Hope that the strike action embarked upon by Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, is about to come to an end appears dashed as congresses of universities met across the country to deliberate on the recent agreements reached between the leadership of the union and the Federal Government.
Feelers from the congresses that have met indicate that the unions were not ready to call of the strike because the government is yet to show the necessary commitment to their plights.

For instance, in congresses held yesterday at the University of Ibadan, UI, and Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti, EKSU, members of the union decided to continue with the strike action on the ground that the Federal Government’s offers are not acceptable to them.

According to reliable sources, the staff are not comfortable with the fact that only about one of the seven demands, which is the issue of staff schools of the universities was convincingly addressed by the government. Government only made promises as regards the other demands which do not show any difference from what was on ground before the strike.
As at the time of filing this report, UI was devoid of activities as all unions on campus both academic and non academic have embarked on indefinite strike.
A lecturer from EKSU said, “We have agreed that the strike must continue until the Federal Government is ready to grant our demands in practical way not in promissory act”.

In one of the interaction with the media after the last meeting the union had with the government, ASUU President, Professor Biodun Ogunyemi said that he could not determine when the union would call off its strike adding that calling off the strike would be determined by the entire members of the union.
However, the effects of the strike has began to manifest as some students who have secured employments have decided to abandon their academic programmes.

A Master’s Degree student of UI who did not want his name mentioned said, “I have been looking for a job for a while now. Because I don’t want to be sitting at home, I obtained a postgraduate form and I was admitted. We were about to start our exam when the strike action began. Now I have a job. I can’t trade the job with the Master’s prpogramme. If I decide to leave the job and go back to school when the strike action is over, what gives me the impression that I will get a job as soon as I am through with the Master’s programme? I will do the Master’s programme when it is more convenient”.

Another student said, “I am considering private university, maybe BABCOCK or Lead City University. Government universities in Nigeria are becoming a problem and time waster. Unfortunately, we don’t have responsible government who will be ready to do what the unions are asking for. First, people in government will chose to embezzle people’s money or mismanage it rather than using it for public good. Since Nigeria has been in recession, have you heard political office holders reducing their salaries and allowances? Go to the National Assembly, and see the exotic cars they are buying. Their salaries are been paid as at when due.

Under the nose of President Muhammadu Buhari, those in the executive are also stealing. How many thieves will Buhari catch? Except the system is working, nothing good can come from Nigeria”.
To some female students, the strike action is a blessing to them as some pregnant female students delivered babies.

One of them said, “I thank God because I don’t know how I would have coped. I gave birth within two weeks the strike action commenced. That means that I would have given birth to my child while my first semester examination is on-going. This means that I might have not been able to write all my papers. So you can see now that it is a blessing for me. If the strike action is called off now, at least I can sit for my exam and graduate when my mates are graduating”.

http://thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2017/09/ASUU-strike-no-end-in-sight/

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by activistjohnny(m): 2:34am On Sep 15, 2017
cc lalasticlala,fynestboi
Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by paiz: 2:49am On Sep 15, 2017
Ladies go and marry school done close final

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by Nobody: 2:57am On Sep 15, 2017
Bad news.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by EEZe(m): 3:00am On Sep 15, 2017
as a student in Nigeria u cant escape strike

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by Nobody: 5:26am On Sep 15, 2017
Strike itself is a course every student must pass in the University or Polytechnic...

27 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by JERRY1925(m): 6:07am On Sep 15, 2017
Temilayhor:
Strike itself is a course every student must pass in the University or Polytechnic...

How can abnormal, sound normal to u!!!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by MuslimChamo(m): 6:27am On Sep 15, 2017
OMG�
Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by Nobody: 6:53am On Sep 15, 2017
Well...we have survived through worse angry. .

We I'll still survive no matter how cool

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by Nobody: 6:59am On Sep 15, 2017
JERRY1925:

Since when does a fact become abnormal or normal sir?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by olaoluwa3124(m): 7:02am On Sep 15, 2017
Booked
Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by JOYOSITA(f): 7:07am On Sep 15, 2017
Make i go marry then.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by HRich(m): 7:08am On Sep 15, 2017
Operation Anaconda dance

---There was Ife/Modakeke war,no operation Monkey dance
---Hausa/Yoruba war in Ile-ife,no operation Anaconda dance
---A cult group called Badoo emerged from nowhere and killed over a hundred souls in Ikorodu-Lagos,no operation fowl dance
---Fulani herdsmen invaded Taraba and souls were lost in hundreds,no operation elephant dance
---Villages were nearly wiped out in areas occupied by TIVs in Benue state which propmted Gov Otorm to say"my people have been pushed to the wall to the extent that i may not be able to convince them not to defend themselves,yet no operation tortoise dance
---Over 400 people were gruesomely murdered in Agatu Local Govt area of Benue State by Fulani herdsmen,no operation fox dance
---In Southern Kaduna,uncountable number of innocent men,women and children were slaughtered in blood-daylight.But we never heard of this new dance by the noble Nigeria Army rather apostle Johnson Suleman who spoke up was summoned to explain what he knew about the Kaduna killings
---In Plateau state,it was a killing spray,kill anyone at sight.There was no proliferation of arms neither was anyone nor groups prosecuted,yet no operation dragon dance
---The Abuja/Kaduna road has turned a kidnapping den,former ministers,former Senators etc have been kidnapped,no operation fish-them out dance
---In Nasarawa State,over 50 police men were mysteriously slaughtered by the Ombatse people,but there was no known operation turkey dance
---The creeks of Niger/Delta is a no-go area today;the boys have taken arms against the government,killing soldiers,police,bursting oil pipes at will and sending giant oil companies packing as well as crippling Nigerian economy;yet no operation Mammy Iwater dance
---No one passes through Lokoja/Okene roads anymore,its either you are kidnapped or you are robbed;no one remembers operation tolotolo dance
---How do i count them? how do i count all the evils that happened under your very own nose? how do i explain it that of all the vices you claimed you watched from your sick bed in London,the only one that deserves crushing is the ones you described as 'miscreants' in the south east?
---Its only in the South East the military experiments operation python dance part 1 & 11.Hahahahaha!!!!
---Today you are in power, tomorrow you may be no more.Those you crush today you may not have the power to crush tomorrow.But i will still advice you;since i was born,i have never ever seen fire quenching fire.You are creating problems for this nation which you may not be available solve when the time comes.We have known you and have decided whom you are from your body language and utterances.Abia is one state you should know does not fear violence.
---Continue your python dance in such a peaceful area but also remember that pythons are not venomous but some tiny snakes are.The python may crush the tiny snakes but may not be free from venomous bites.

Copied

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by DanielsParker(m): 7:08am On Sep 15, 2017
all these ASUU chiefs sef. their children are happily schooling abroad.

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by 9jayes: 7:08am On Sep 15, 2017
When it's up to a year then I Will know they are on strike but for now they are on vacation

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by birdsview(m): 7:09am On Sep 15, 2017
That is why our universities keep rolling out half baked graduates..including MYSELf....it's such a pity

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by Nobody: 7:09am On Sep 15, 2017
What kind of news network be this...
You only state the consensus of two universities and two opinion of students. That doesn't represent the large part of the union or students.

Just wait for a statement from the union! Respect your elders, puunch, guardian, ect

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by Tekecoms1(m): 7:09am On Sep 15, 2017
Is this a country? Kilonshele gangan?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by YelloweWest: 7:09am On Sep 15, 2017
Which kind wahala be this?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by texazzpete(m): 7:09am On Sep 15, 2017
Excellent news.

Support the strike continuing until their demands are met. Even if it takes months to achieve.

If they say insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, many Nigerians are truly insane.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by Mimienudles(f): 7:09am On Sep 15, 2017
JERRY1925:

It's actually a Fact. Strike is more like a Course in the University, no student can just escape it. It's painfully impossible and saddening

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by babyfaceafrica: 7:09am On Sep 15, 2017
ASUU....destroying student lives sine 18AD

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by KayDEAN(m): 7:10am On Sep 15, 2017

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by IamAthens(m): 7:10am On Sep 15, 2017
Space booked. Contact within for the sale of this property.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by CallMeNJay: 7:10am On Sep 15, 2017
FG Vs ASUU
Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by King4Roller: 7:10am On Sep 15, 2017
Federal Government abeg na. ASUU abeg na.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by OBTMOS(m): 7:11am On Sep 15, 2017
Chai!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by sotall(m): 7:11am On Sep 15, 2017
OK
Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by 9jayes: 7:11am On Sep 15, 2017
Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by holuwajobar(m): 7:12am On Sep 15, 2017
failed system
Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by sakalisis(m): 7:12am On Sep 15, 2017
cry

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: No End In Sight by jamesbridget13(f): 7:12am On Sep 15, 2017
So d strike is still on?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Started ICAN In SS3, Bags First-Class At 20 / 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year / 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.