Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,067 members, 7,807,204 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:01 AM

GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** - Travel (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** (719365 Views)

Irish Student Visa / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (387) (Go Down)

Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by Glokit(m): 1:16pm On Jan 18, 2018
ceceliaa34:
Hi everyone. My visa was approved today! Processing time: 3 weeks and 4 days. I wanna say thanks to everyone on this forum that helped out in one way or another.

I'm so glad I didn't give up after my Canadian refusal. Some people thought I was crazy applying for visa on the 21st of December when school resumes January 2018, looks like my 'craze' paid off in the end, God be praised!

Who else is going to DBS?
Congrats ooo.... Happy for u
When are you leaving

1 Like

Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by Glokit(m): 1:19pm On Jan 18, 2018
pristine88:

LOL we go rendezvous on Monday....whats the plan to secure a place?? where are you presently

You are still converting euro-naira...comot mind for that side.....
I will be in Ireland very early on Wednesday... See you guys soon
Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by cnonwnuwsp17: 1:43pm On Jan 18, 2018
Alikote:
your daily update will help

Winter this year smoke weed o.

I need to understand transport here fast, my money dey disappear.
My dollar card has been saving my ass.

Uber doesn't accept cash and it's expensive. You will need to have the exact change for taxi here. You can download mytaxi, career, hailo any that works for you. My main goal is to get a bank account.
Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by ICaSNg(f): 2:23pm On Jan 18, 2018
[q
Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by mayorelnino(m): 3:42pm On Jan 18, 2018
[quote author=Chimumsy20 post=64182380]For all new applicant

Try as much as possible to avoid schools in Dublin if you're on budget as the accommodation and living expenses is ridiculous. You can apply for job from anywhere in Ireland .
You can only apply for single entry while in Nigeria and if you're planning to travel during studies. Then, you have to apply for re entry visa which is guaranteed till the expiry date of your GNIB. The cost is 100 euros
Be mindful of the schools you're applying to. Check their rankings on google before you apply. I will advice, you apply only to the top ten schools. You will thank me later.
As for staying back, it's possible if u find any company that can sponsor your work visa which is not easy as portrayed. However, it differs on individual basis. Also most people come to Ireland as route to Canada or Australia.
Thanks

Hello. pls u would like you to explain more about the route to Canada or Australia as you have mentioned. thanks.
Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by cnonwnuwsp17: 6:49pm On Jan 18, 2018
ICaSNg:

It will help to visit your student center/ International students department to find cheaper ways of conveying yourself around, sim card / network .

Definitely Buses in lieu of Uber unless you're running late for an appointment and find the cheapest grocery store i.e a version of their Asda , I think Aldi is in Dublin ; it has basic daily needs and groceries.

Like you mentioned : Open an account and definitely try and book for an appointment early enough for your GNIB card to come through.

Enjoy .

I got a sim and monthly plan ( my intention before arriving was to use eir but saw vodafone shop first and i needed a sim very badly for google map). I not shopping for groceries yet but there are popular companies around (Aldi, Lidl, Tesco express, SPAR, etc).

I need to study the Bus and tram routes plus the change thing is an issue

Griffith College registration process is too slow.

Those of una wen never enter road please buy flipflops for Nigeria o, I searched for that thing today like someone looking for gold still didn't get any, will continue 2mao)

2 Likes

Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by ICaSNg(f): 7:17pm On Jan 18, 2018
cnonwnuwsp17:

I got a sim and monthly plan ( my intention before arriving was to use eir but saw vodafone shop first and i needed a sim very badly for google map). I not shopping for groceries yet but there are popular companies around (Aldi, Lidl, Tesco express, SPAR, etc).

Those of una wen never enter road please buy flipflops for Nigeria o, I searched for that thing today like someone looking for gold still didn't get any, will continue 2mao)

Cool- Tesco express is always a bit pricier than main Tesco store and definitely Aldi is cheaper on most items as compared to Tesco sha - That is from my UK experience though.
As for slippers ; check Aldi or preferably African/Asian stores.

Stay warm

Cheers

1 Like

Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by Heimdall: 8:19pm On Jan 18, 2018
cnonwnuwsp17:

Oh you’re in Griffith College...nice! Are you in the Dublin campus or Limerick campus?? What’s accommodation there like??

Lol @ the flipflops comment. I can imagine how much you must have searched for it.
Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by pristine88: 9:50pm On Jan 18, 2018
cnonwnuwsp17:

What do you mean registration is slow....i thought that starts next week?
Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by cnonwnuwsp17: 7:35am On Jan 19, 2018
ICaSNg:

Cool- Tesco express is always a bit pricier than main Tesco store and definitely Aldi is cheaper on most items as compared to Tesco sha - That is from my UK experience though.
As for slippers ; check Aldi or preferably African/Asian stores.

Stay warm

Cheers

There was only one flip flop remaining in Dublin (Skechers) and I just bought it. ALDI and Primark didn't have. The skechers was expensive but no other option. People travelling for holidays have bought them all.

1 Like

Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by cnonwnuwsp17: 7:36am On Jan 19, 2018
Heimdall:

Oh you’re in Griffith College...nice! Are you in the Dublin campus or Limerick campus?? What’s accommodation there like??

Lol @ the flipflops comment. I can imagine how much you must have searched for it.

Dublin
Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by cnonwnuwsp17: 7:38am On Jan 19, 2018
pristine88:

What do you mean registration is slow....i thought that starts next week?

The online registration. I need to complete that before requesting for bank letter and letter to proceed to immigration
Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by niyogeol(m): 9:58am On Jan 19, 2018
To the dude complaining about transportation, please endeavor to get a student leap card. It will save you cost. Leap card is acceptable on Dublin Bus, Dart, Luas, and Tram. Try to avoid taxi as much as possible except if you're from the elite class, and you have the cash to play with.

GNIB card has been replaced with IRP - Irish Residence Permit. The GNIB card still remains valid for its holders till it expires. Since you are in Dublin, try to book an appointment to suit the date stamped on your passport when you entered Ireland. You also need an address to open a bank account. So if you don't have that yet, I will advice you get a place for yourself. This is one important thing you need to settle first.

As other posters have said, Aldi and Lidl should be your go to stores for groceries as they are cheaper compared to other stores.

Regards.

6 Likes

Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by ICaSNg(f): 10:07am On Jan 19, 2018
Lets explore Cork!!! : Ireland's 2nd largest City.
===============================

Distance : Cork is almost 3 hours away from Dublin City; Dublin is easily within reach via Trains, Flights and buses. However, Dublin has wider options when it comes to means of Transportation and waiting time @Bus stops is minimal due to frequency of the buses or number of Taxi companies , including Uber , Tram etc; Cork however has timed transportation and fewer options.

Cost of living : This varies by items, while some items like milk have similar price ; other items such as Bread, chicken is slightly cheaper in Cork as well as restaurant meals or fast-food. However, food items such as Eggs cost more when compared to Dublin.

Renting : Dublin is the new New York thus accommodation can be crazy expensive. Within Dublin city center a 1 bed private apartment cost a minimum of EUR 1,200 to 1,500 while outside Dublin city this may be between EUR 950 to 1,300 depending on how sophisticated the apartments are and the neighborhood.

Same or similar apartments within Cork city center lies below EUR 900 and EUR 750 for outside cork city center.

Academics : Similar to Nigeria and every other country in the World, Ireland has both public and Private Universities- an example of a private Uni or College is Griffith College and Royal College of surgeons Ireland. However, UCC falls among top 5 Universities in Ireland-though Tuition fee is a little on the high side but it has prestige.

Job opportunities : Being Ireland's second largest County, definitely job opportunities will be available but may not be as much as the powerful Dublin City. However, on the bright side, you are able to live comfortably and within your means.

2 Likes

Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by ICaSNg(f): 10:09am On Jan 19, 2018
niyogeol:
To the dude complaining about transportation, please endeavor to get a student leap card. It will save you cost. Leap card is acceptable on Dublin Bus, Dart, Luas, and Tram. Try to avoid taxi as much as possible except if you're from the elite class, and you have the cash to play with.

GNIB card has been replaced with IRP - Irish Residence Permit. The GNIB card still remains valid for its holders till it expires. Since you are in Dublin, try to book an appointment to suit the date stamped on your passport when you entered Ireland. You also need an address to open a bank account. So if you don't have that yet, I will advice you get a place for yourself. This is one important thing you need to settle first.

As other posters have said, Aldi and Lidl should be your go to stores for groceries as they are cheaper compared to other stores.

Regards.

Gracias , your knowledge as a Resident will be highly appreciated bro.

Cheers
Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by niyogeol(m): 11:25am On Jan 19, 2018
No wahala.
ICaSNg:

Gracias , your knowledge as a Resident will be highly appreciated bro.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by Heimdall: 3:36pm On Jan 19, 2018
cnonwnuwsp17:

Sorry, I forgot to ask. Were you picked up at the airport by a rep from the university? If so, why didn't the international office at the school provide a sim for you?

My suggestion to anyone travelling is this, before your trip, you can download an offline version of the entire Ireland on google maps (its about 400mb). This way you can search for places even without data.
For those who don't know how to do this, just follow the steps below:
1. Download google maps (if you don't already have it)
2. Search for "Ireland" and select any of the locations (perhaps Dublin international airport).
3. Click the bottom to view more info on the selected item and click download.
4. Ensure the blue rectangle is covering the entire map of Ireland.
5. Click download and wait for it to finish.

**Please note that this version will only be available for about 30 days after the download so it's advisable to do this just before you leave for Ireland.

I hope someone finds this helpful

5 Likes

Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by baeAF: 4:21pm On Jan 19, 2018
Hi everyone. My visa got approved on the 16th of January. Submitted documents etc on the 4th of January... 1 week n 5 days!!!! Even my agent was shocked.. It can only be God

Thanks to everyone who gave out advice here.

Anyone going to Dublin City University here?

9 Likes

Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by Glokit(m): 7:45pm On Jan 19, 2018
baeAF:
Hi everyone. My visa got approved on the 16th of January. Submitted documents etc on the 4th of January... 1 week n 5 days!!!! Even my agent was shocked.. It can only be God

Thanks to everyone who gave out advice here.

Anyone going to Dublin City University here?
Happy for u

1 Like

Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by mayorelnino(m): 10:07pm On Jan 19, 2018
hello everyone I have just been offered a place at Dublin institute of technology. MSC sustainable development. Pls I will be glad to meet anybody from the school who can share a thing or two with me. Also I like to know if there is a specific period of time BTW when you print your SOA and when you submit your application. Because I am considering printing my SOA before paying my tuition.
This means that my SOA will carry a date that is earlier than the date on my receipt and admission letter. I am thinking if everything is still within a month then I am good. Your professional advise is needed pls. thanks.

1 Like

Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by niyogeol(m): 11:48pm On Jan 19, 2018
Printing your statement of account before paying your tuition is not out of place. Just ensure you have the sum to cater for your tuition and your upkeep. Part time job will/might cater for your rent and day to day need but won't pay your tuition.

Note that €7,000 is what you need as evidence for upkeep.
mayorelnino:
hello everyone I have just been offered a place at Dublin institute of technology. MSC sustainable development. Pls I will be glad to meet anybody from the school who can share a thing or two with me. Also I like to know if there is a specific period of time BTW when you print your SOA and when you submit your application. Because I am considering printing my SOA before paying my tuition.
This means that my SOA will carry a date that is earlier than the date on my receipt and admission letter. I am thinking if everything is still within a month then I am good. Your professional advise is needed pls. thanks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by mayorelnino(m): 7:04am On Jan 20, 2018
niyogeol:
Printing your statement of account before paying your tuition is not out of place. Just ensure you have the sum to cater for your tuition and your upkeep. Part time job will/might cater for your rent and day to day need but won't pay your tuition.

Note that €7,000 is what you need as evidence for upkeep.
okay bro. thanks.
Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by cnonwnuwsp17: 8:23am On Jan 20, 2018
Heimdall:

Sorry, I forgot to ask. Were you picked up at the airport by a rep from the university? If so, why didn't the international office at the school provide a sim for you?

My suggestion to anyone travelling is this, before your trip, you can download an offline version of the entire Ireland on google maps (its about 400mb). This way you can search for places even without data.
For those who don't know how to do this, just follow the steps below:
1. Download google maps (if you don't already have it)
2. Search for "Ireland" and select any of the locations (perhaps Dublin international airport).
3. Click the bottom to view more info on the selected item and click download.
4. Ensure the blue rectangle is covering the entire map of Ireland.
5. Click download and wait for it to finish.

**Please note that this version will only be available for about 30 days after the download so it's advisable to do this just before you leave for Ireland.

I hope someone finds this helpful

I was taken straight to my temp accommodation, I came in late.

Yea the map thing is important I had mine ready before I got to Dublin. The bus route and stope are a lol bit confusing mostly for first timers.

For those if you that aren't here yet, download the Dublin bus app (very awesome) and real time Ireland app, then get a comfortable shoe and plenty of change, you are good to go.

Come with flip flop o, any type (holiday ppl Don empty stores).

Waiting for you guys cool

Safe trip

3 Likes

Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by cnonwnuwsp17: 8:26am On Jan 20, 2018
niyogeol:

Regards.

I can only get one after completing my registration. I need my student ID for plenty of things including discount on spotify grin and at restaurants

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by niyogeol(m): 3:55pm On Jan 20, 2018
cnonwnuwsp17:

I can only get one after completing my registration. I need my student ID for plenty of things including discount on spotify grin and at restaurants
Okay. I don't know what is obtainable in your school, but registration shouldn't take much time as such. Try to get your student I'd and an address (The address of the temporary accommodation is tenable in this case) and proceed to Dublin Bus office building at O'Connell street to get it as soon as possible. Like I said before, this will save you cost.

1 Like

Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by cnonwnuwsp17: 5:24pm On Jan 20, 2018
niyogeol:
Okay. I don't know what is obtainable in your school, but registration shouldn't take much time as such. Try to get your student I'd and an address (The address of the temporary accommodation is tenable in this case) and proceed to Dublin Bus office building at O'Connell street to get it as soon as possible. Like I said before, this will save you cost.

Ewo didn't know I could use my temporary addy, can I use it too for bank account opening and IRP?

Primark Don stock slipper grin be like say no be only me be dey find am sef.

1 Like

Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by niyogeol(m): 6:23pm On Jan 20, 2018
cnonwnuwsp17:

Ewo didn't know I could use my temporary addy, can I use it too for bank account opening and IRP?

Primark Don stock slipper grin be like say no be only me be dey find am sef.
No. The address for opening bank account should be standard address because the debit card that will be issued to you by the bank will be sent to the address. Bank statement is required for the IRP registration. Also the IRP card will be sent to your address in about 10 working days. So it is important to use address where you can receive stuffs of that nature.

1 Like

Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by Nobody: 7:04am On Jan 21, 2018
niyogeol:
No. The address for opening bank account should be standard address because the debit card that will be issued to you by the bank will be sent to the address. Bank statement is required for the IRP registration. Also the IRP card will be sent to your address in about 10 working days. So it is important to use address where you can receive stuffs of that nature.
how is getting job s partime and fulltime after graduation
Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by niyogeol(m): 10:16am On Jan 21, 2018
If am not mistaken, this is your second time of asking this question. Getting job anywhere is a matter of chance and preparation. So like boys scout, be prepared.

I think you should evaluate and do a risk assessment if it is worth committing your resources to.

Job or success is not guaranteed anywhere. We live by hope. So you can only hope for the best.

Part time job shouldn't be too difficult to find. For job after graduation, I have no story to share as regards that now.
Alikote:
how is getting job s partime and fulltime after graduation

1 Like

Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by ICaSNg(f): 3:22pm On Jan 21, 2018
S

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** by cnonwnuwsp17: 10:59pm On Jan 21, 2018
niyogeol:

Do you leave in Dublin?

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (387)

General Australian Visa Enquiries / North Cyprus / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.