Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,893 members, 7,806,600 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:52 PM

The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni (39550 Views)

History Of Ika People(umunede) / Ika People / The Ika People{igbanke}. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by pazienza(m): 6:42pm On Mar 03, 2017
gerg:
That's a very simplified Ika. That's the Otolokpo dialect of the Eastern Axis of Ika. and again, the things it's talking about are all new stuffs that don't exist in Ika precolonial times. Abiriba might be difficult to understand but it sounds Igbo. I'm not denying their Ibibio connection. In fact, I heard they have Ibibio origin that's why I said the major reason they accept the Igbo tag is probably because they're located in the SE.

They are Igbo and accept Igbo tag because they are a people with dignity and sense of group worth. They wouldn't twist their history to propound irrational origin stories.

Isobos are not in SE, they are in Cross river, yet their sense of group pride and group worth, will not allow they deny their Igbo roots and claim an Efik or Ekoid one.

https://www.nairaland.com/3425009/meet-isobos-igbo-speaking-tribe

1 Like

Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by Probz(m): 11:51pm On Mar 03, 2017
Dhugal:

I'm really starting to believe you're not Igbo as you claimed.
Pray tell,how did that Ika video sound alien to you?.
Even the Benin guy agree it's intelligible, but try to lay that on Otolokpo being close to Enuani.

Believe what you want.

There's mutual intelligibility but the intonation makes it sound foreign. I didn't say it's not Igbo, it just doesn't sound it.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by cheruv: 2:14am On Mar 04, 2017
Probz:

Believe what you want.

There's mutual intelligibility but the intonation makes it sound foreign. I didn't say it's not Igbo, it just doesn't sound it.
Guy...of all Igbo dialects, Onicha is the only non nasal one that's why speakers of Onicha tongue find it difficult to switch to other Igbo dialects bkos they can't nasalize.
Standard Igbo is based to a greater degree on Onicha dialect even though the format looks like the Owerre/Ohũhũ dialect.
Try and travel around...then you'd know there's nothing different about those Ika or Oru dialects
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by Abagworo(m): 9:44am On Mar 04, 2017
cheruv:

Guy...of all Igbo dialects, Onicha is the only non nasal one that's why speakers of Onicha tongue find it difficult to switch to other Igbo dialects bkos they can't nasalize.
Standard Igbo is based to a greater degree on Onicha dialect even though the format looks like the Owerre/Ohũhũ dialect.
Try and travel around...then you'd know there's nothing different about those Ika or Oru dialects

Actually its Umuahia and Onitsha dialects spoken free of nasal sounds that makes the basics of Igbo Izugbe. However there's fusion of words from different dialects into spoken central Igbo and it has evolved over time. That claim of Owerri being part of it I'm yet to ascertain because Owerri Igbo is very deviated like Ngwa or Etche and there is no "t" or "s" in it.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by Doug07034780891(m): 9:52am On Mar 04, 2017
cheruv:

I think that is the reason the original Igbo Bible is written in Onitsha Igbo language.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by cheruv: 3:36pm On Mar 04, 2017
Doug07034780891:

I think that is the reason the original Igbo Bible is written in Onitsha Igbo language.

As for Igbo Bible, am drafting materials to write an Igbo bible whose language would be inclusive of all dialects especially the borderline dialects like izhi and ika but would still be contemporary in nature. Of course it'd be in standardized literary Igbo but the difference is that the names would be in their Hebrew format. For eg
Jesus would become Yeshua, Joseph (Yosef), Isaac (Yitschak), Moses (Moshe), Jacob (Yaakov), Isaiah (Yeshayahu) etc
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by gerg: 10:01pm On Mar 04, 2017
Abagworo:

I will pick out all the central Igbo in the Ika video while you pick out the ones in Abiriba video.
Ok. I've been busy and haven't come online since. Will reply later.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by chibecan: 2:50am On Mar 05, 2017
grafikdon:

Same experience here. Some people furrow their faces in bewilderment when I switch from central Igbo to my Ekwulobia dialect, but in most cases (if not all) it is done without malicious intent. When friends are involved in the ''mockery'', it is usually done as a comic relief. But to be fair, there are words and phrases in my dialect that bear little or no semblance to the widely known Igbo words/terms and can be easily mistaken for a different language by those unfamiliar with the dialect.

Example:

1. Ibene/Kana/Kanwa (Here)

2. Wehine/Wehune (Now)

3. Ibenihi/Ibehu (There)

4. Etu (butt)

5. Mgbaduga/Apalapa (foofoo/Akpu)

6. Okeibulu (Elderly woman)

7. Nihi (look/Look at)

8. Gbaduo (Walk)

9. Ndi (Who/what)

10. Akiyiwe (Coconut)

11. Ngwa (fire)

And others too numerous to mention.

Lol..I am from Aguluzigbo. Same with my own dialect.
now...phaa.
here...noonwa,nkaana,nkaawa.etc.
ofo..who.
coconut..akiyiwe,okuoyiwe.
there..noohu,nooli,nkaanihi.
come here ...via noonwa,bia nkaa.
going to toilet...gbadue Ana(something like..taking a walk to the square or something like that)
If somebody asks after where you are going central Igbo is ebee ka ina-eje?,we say nnei ka ina-eje? or nnei ka I jei?
where are you from...nnei ka isi?.
central Igbo says ebea, we say McBee and so on.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by Chysler(m): 9:20am On Mar 05, 2017
[/quote][quote author=chibecan post=54282075]Lol..I am from Aguluzigbo. Same with my own dialect.
now...phaa.
here...noonwa,nkaana,nkaawa.etc.
ofo..who.
coconut..akiyiwe,okuoyiwe.
there..noohu,nooli,nkaanihi.
come here ...via noonwa,bia nkaa.
going to toilet...gbadue Ana(something like..taking a walk to the square or something like that)
If somebody asks after where you are going central Igbo is ebee ka ina-eje?,we say nnei ka ina-eje? or nnei ka I jei?
where are you from...nnei ka isi?.
central Igbo says ebea, we say McBee and so on.

Ya the whole of Aguata LGA, Nnewi south and orumba north and south LGA in Anambra, and ideato north and south, orlu all in IMO speak dt dialect...

I can understand more of ika than Ezza Dialect at first hearing even though I spent much of my childhood in Ebonyi state...

2 Likes

Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by OMANBALA1: 2:09pm On Mar 05, 2017
Chysler:

Ya the whole of Aguata LGA, Nnewi south and orumba north and south LGA in Anambra, and ideato north and south, orlu all in IMO speak dt dialect...

I can understand more of ika than Ezza Dialect at first hearing even though I spent much of my childhood in Ebonyi state...

Ideator and Orlu don't speak like those Anambra groups you mentioned I know those places very well.

1 Like

Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by chibecanglobal(m): 5:33pm On Mar 05, 2017
OMANBALA1:

Ideator and Orlu don't speak like those Anambra groups you mentioned I know those places very well.
I think he tried to say those groups share a lot in common. Not necessarily speaking same dialect. My own dialect is unique to my town and once I speak wholely anyone conversant with the dialect will know I am from Aguluzigbo
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by OMANBALA1: 6:47pm On Mar 05, 2017
chibecanglobal:
I think he tried to say those groups share a lot in common. Not necessarily speaking same dialect. My own dialect is unique to my town and once I speak wholely anyone conversant with the dialect will know I am from Aguluzigbo

Well, lets wait for him to clear it out. This is a public forum and I hope we don't mislead people.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by B2mario(m): 7:02pm On Mar 05, 2017
Abagworo:

agbor di nma owa
umunede di nma
owa di nma
akumazi di nma
emuhu di nma
mbiri di nma
ya di ni anyi ncha nma.alua ni umunnem.puta ni ebea ka anyi mara onwe anyi.

sorry dear.just had to centralise it for all to understand without stress.

But this Ika is almost the same as Owerri dialect . 'puha' and 'ri' are common verbs used in Owerri which mean the same thing in the two languages .

They also have a clan called Mbiri, same in Owerri [mbiri]. The emuhu in Ika is it not the same thing as Umuhu scattered allover communities in SE.

people should source for their ancestry based on ancient community names not on imaginary folklores.

Mbiri is found in Ika and Owerri
Owerri is also found in ika
Igbodo is found in Ika and Etche
Obibi is found in Etche, Ngor okpala, and Orlu
Emuhu same as Umuhu is found in Ibeku Ndume, Oboro, Orlu and Ngwa.
there is Owa in Ika and Orlu(Umu Owa)
Aboh is found in Ndokwa, Mbaise, Orlu etc
Onicha communities scattered allover Igboland starting from Ika to Ebonyi, from Etche to Nsukka.

So let's try and make our ancestral history to be more logical by connecting ancient communities with same name not these imaginary forktales of how a bini prince or warrior with Igbo name left bini and found a community with Igbo name similar to other Igbo community names not a bini name. Meaning that before the imaginary prince or warrior settled in those igbo communities there must had been Igbos who were living in these lands who must have come from Owerri, Isu, Ibeku, Nri, Etche, Ishiagu, Asaba, Ogwashi, Igbo-uzo etc and due to expansion of Benin kingdom have little bini influence in their cultures.

How can people who we claim to have migrated from bini and reside in a place close to bini, traded with bini, intermarried with them since time immemorial dropped bini language and culture and take a language similar to Owerri language in faraway eastern heartland? Hmmmm, we need check our brains thoroughly.

1 Like

Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by B2mario(m): 7:16pm On Mar 05, 2017
OMANBALA1:

You don't know anywhere. If you don't have a good contribution to make Pls just back off. Those places he mentioned including Ihiala speak dialects similar to that of Orlu, Oru, and Ideato (ie Orsu and Isu dialects).
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by LasGidiOwner: 7:42pm On Mar 05, 2017
What you have written is rubbish. @Omanbala1 is very correct.

[s]
B2mario:

You don't know anywhere. If you don't have a good contribution to make Pls just back off. Those places he mentioned including Ihiala speak dialects similar to that of Orlu, Oru, and Ideato (ie Orsu and Isu dialects).
[/s]
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by gerg: 8:29pm On Mar 05, 2017
B2mario:

But this Ika is almost the same as Owerri dialect . 'puha' and 'ri' are common verbs used in Owerri which mean the same thing in the two languages .

They also have a clan called Mbiri, same in Owerri [mbiri]. The emuhu in Ika is it not the same thing as Umuhu scattered allover communities in SE.

people should source for their ancestry based on ancient community names not on imaginary folklores.

Mbiri is found in Ika and Owerri
Owerri is also found in ika
Igbodo is found in Ika and Etche
Obibi is found in Etche, Ngor okpala, and Orlu
Emuhu same as Umuhu is found in Ibeku Ndume, Oboro, Orlu and Ngwa.
there is Owa in Ika and Orlu(Umu Owa)
Aboh is found in Ndokwa, Mbaise, Orlu etc
Onicha communities scattered allover Igboland starting from Ika to Ebonyi, from Etche to Nsukka.

So let's try and make our ancestral history to be more logical by connecting ancient communities with same name not these imaginary forktales of how a bini prince or warrior with Igbo name left bini and found a community with Igbo name similar to other Igbo community names not a bini name. Meaning that before the imaginary prince or warrior settled in those igbo communities there must had been Igbos who were living in these lands who must have come from Owerri, Isu, Ibeku, Nri, Etche, Ishiagu, Asaba, Ogwashi, Igbo-uzo etc and due to expansion of Benin kingdom have little bini influence in their cultures.

How can people who we claim to have migrated from bini and reside in a place close to bini, traded with bini, intermarried with them since time immemorial dropped bini language and culture and take a language similar to Owerri language in faraway eastern heartland? Hmmmm, we need check our brains thoroughly.

The problem with you guys is you Igbonise everything. You see everything from Igbo perspective. You do not care what people's name or place name means in another people's language and culture. Igbos that do not know their history can confidently tell someone that his history is fake? Most of those names you listed also exist in Edo State. same pronunciation with the Edo but different pronunciation with the ones in the East. So the meaning, history and pronunciation doesn't matter? You base everything on similarity in spellings? SMH

1 Like

Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by Abagworo(m): 9:08pm On Mar 05, 2017
OMANBALA1:

All those people speak same type of Igbo with little differences. Igbodigbo.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by OMANBALA1: 9:11pm On Mar 05, 2017
B2mario:

Just look at this Nigga telling me I don't know anywhere in my own srate. Are you kidding me. I bet you don't know what pure Orumba, Nnewi and Aguata sound like. For your own education I must let you know Ekwulobia, Ezinifite are in Aguata while Umunze and Awgbu are in Orumba and these towns and Nnewi has nothing and absolutely nothing in common with any IMO state towns in areas of dialects. The only group in Anambra that has dialectical similarities with Orsu of IMO are Ihiala, Uli and co due to their closeness. Finally, there is nothing like Isu dialects because they are scattered all over Igbo land but they originated from Anambra.

1 Like

Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by OMANBALA1: 9:15pm On Mar 05, 2017
Abagworo:

All those people speak same type of Igbo with little differences. Igbodigbo.

No, they do not speak the same dialect and please don't argue what you don't know. Just because Onitsha say bia for come and Owerri say bịa for come doesn't mean they speak alike. Stop making things up, Nigga. I mean, when are you gonna change?? This is sickening.

1 Like

Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by B2mario(m): 9:58pm On Mar 05, 2017
OMANBALA1:

Just look at this Nigga telling me I don't know anywhere in my own srate. Are you kidding me. I bet you don't know what pure Orumba, Nnewi and Aguata sound like. For your own education I must let you know Ekwulobia, Ezinifite are in Aguata while Umunze and Awgbu are in Orumba and these towns and Nnewi has nothing and absolutely nothing in common with any IMO state towns in areas of dialects. The only group in Anambra that has dialectical similarities with Orsu of IMO are Ihiala, Uli and co due to their closeness. Finally, there is nothing like Isu dialects because they are scattered all over Igbo land but they originated from Anambra.
OK your point is considerable because even in those local governments mentioned in Imo state there are little dialectical differences. Nkwerre and Amaigbo are not speaking completely the same thing likewise Osina and Okporo. But Akokwa and Uga are almost the same thing. And most communities in Nnewi south speak something close to Orsu dialect.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by B2mario(m): 10:19pm On Mar 05, 2017
gerg:
The problem with you guys is you Igbonise everything. You see everything from Igbo perspective. You do not care what people's name or place name means in another people's language and culture. Igbos that do not know their history can confidently tell someone that his history is fake? Most of those names you listed also exist in Edo State. same pronunciation with the Edo but different pronunciation with the ones in the East. So the meaning, history and pronunciation doesn't matter? You base everything on similarity in spellings? SMH

You are not well, how do we igbonise everyhing or are you not the one trying to edonise our communities west of Niger because Biafran proponents refused to include Edo in the map. We are not one and do not share same values, you claimed that all the names I mentioned also exist in Edo. Good and fine, list the communities where we can find them and also say the meanings.

Any Edo Ika is a stranger to Ika, how can Ika that is very close to Edo dropped Edo language and culture only to adopte a language similar to that of Owerri faraway east of the Niger.

Oga pls drop this argument, you are already a loser.

3 Likes

Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by Chysler(m): 10:24pm On Mar 05, 2017
Akokwa (IMO), obodukwu (IMO) , urualla (IMO), Uga, akpo, achina ,ekwulobia, aguluzoigbo, oko, Nanka, Nkpologwu, igboukwu, ezinifitte(aguata), unubi, ekwulumili All in anmbra speak exactly same Dialect

1 Like

Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by gerg: 10:24pm On Mar 05, 2017
B2mario:

You are not well, how do we igbonise everyhing or are you not the one trying to edonise our communities west of Niger because Biafran proponents refused to include Edo in the map. We are not one and do not share same values, you claimed that all the names I mentioned also exist in Edo. Good and fine, list the communities where we can find them and also say the meanings.

Any Edo Ika is a stranger to Ika, how can Ika that is very close to Edo dropped Edo language and culture only to adopte a language similar to that of Owerri faraway east of the Niger.

Oga pls drop this argument, you are already a loser.
Talking with you is a waste of time. here another nutcase

1 Like

Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by OMANBALA1: 4:14am On Mar 06, 2017
Chysler:
Akokwa (IMO), obodukwu (IMO) , urualla (IMO), Uga, akpo, achina ,ekwulobia, aguluzoigbo, oko, Nanka, Nkpologwu, igboukwu, ezinifitte(aguata), unubi, ekwulumili All in anmbra speak exactly same Dialect

Figment of your imagination.
This is nothing but stark ignorance. And I hate when ignorant people try to sound like they are informed. And why did you remove Nnewi from your imagination?

I bet you aren't from Anambra.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by Abagworo(m): 7:01am On Mar 06, 2017
OMANBALA1:

This is nothing but stark ignorance. And I hate when ignorant people try to sound like they are informed. And why did you remove Nnewi from your imagination?

He may not be completely accurate but you sound full of hate. All those people mentioned by him live in a part of Igboland that is compact and indistinguishable. That States were created doesn't change it.

Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by LasGidiOwner: 7:05am On Mar 06, 2017
Old fool stop accusing people wrongly because you are the one that's full of hate. The point @Omambala1 is trying to make is that Anambra has not in common with your useless Imo state, not in language or culture. We are not the same people. Even before the states were created, we were never the same people. Stop forcing yourself on us.

[s]
Abagworo:

He may not be completely accurate but you sound full of hate. All those people mentioned by him live in a part of Igboland that is compact and indistinguishable. That States were created doesn't change it.
[/s]
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by Abagworo(m): 7:09am On Mar 06, 2017
LasGidiOwner:
Old fool stop accusing people wrongly because you are the one that's full of hate. The point @Omambala1 is trying to make is that Anambra has not in common with your useless Imo state, not in language or culture. We are not the same people. Even before the states were created, we were never the same people. Stop forcing yourself on us.

[s][/s]

Igala man.

www.nairaland.com/290572/igala-people-identify-urselfs/1
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by LasGidiOwner: 7:13am On Mar 06, 2017
He he he..e pain am.

Yes I am an Igala man from Anambra.

I would rather be an Igala man in Anambra than to be from Imo state. We prefer Igala to ordinary useless Imo state.

We are saying it for everyone to hear, we Anambrans have nothing in common with your useless Imo state. Deal with it or kill yourself. We are not the same people.

[s]
Abagworo:

Igala man.

www.nairaland.com/290572/igala-people-identify-urselfs/1
[/s]
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by ehikwe22: 8:29am On Mar 06, 2017
Very crude and uncivilized set of people
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by Chysler(m): 9:13am On Mar 06, 2017
[/quote][quote author=OMANBALA1 post=54310998]

See the kind of rubbish division you are causing among same Pple... U simply don't know how to debate an issue... U r full of urself and very irrespectful... Am telling u about the place I come from and u want to school me about that simply because u bear Omanbala in nairaland ... In ur bid to sound credible u have only succeeded in being not difference from that ignoramus calling himself Lasgidiowner... We Anambrarians and IMO are one Pple especially us that wea formerly under old orlu zone , as geograph widens our dialect pronunciation and intonations may deviate slightly but does not garner much percentage to be said to he different from each other!
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by B2mario(m): 9:29am On Mar 06, 2017
gerg:
Talking with you is a waste of time. here another nutcase
Because you don't have fact to back up your argument that's why you've resorted to insult. Pls stopping dividing Igboland before the gods of our ancestors strike you with heavy thunder.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by gerg: 10:06am On Mar 06, 2017
B2mario:

Because you don't have fact to back up your argument that's why you've resorted to insult. Pls stopping dividing Igboland before the gods of our ancestors strike you with heavy thunder.
See who's talking about insults. Who started the insults? And who share same ancestors with you? you're insane. shameless people forcing themselves on others. I've never seen a people so shameless like you guys.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! / Ojora Of Lagos, Oba Fatai Aremu Marries A New Wife (Photos, Video) / Masquerade Wearing Lord’s Chosen Church’s Overalls in Anambra State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.