Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,916 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:12 AM

I Just Cut The Cord With My Father - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Just Cut The Cord With My Father (39411 Views)

Advise For A Woman Whose Husband Is Suffering From A Spinal Cord Injury / My Father-in-law Is Making My Wife To Disrespect Me! / I Found My Father After 24 Years, But... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by chisabones: 3:14pm On Sep 18, 2017
Beverly1:
Hi fellow Nlanders

I was born into Catholic faith and practice till I was 12 and I enjoyed it. My parent became deeper life member while we were living apart and now a pastor in that church. I re-united with them when I was 12 and since then I've been attending the church with them and still attend Catholic occasionally....I love the preaching from the founder of deeper life as he preaches the bitter truth but I believe most other young pastor see d church "doctrine" as commandment and so must be kept 100%.....the founder of the church addressed this issue several times but NO.

18 years on since we re-united, I'm a graduate, married and living abroad but my father still forcing his believe and doctrine on me. I considered myself spiritual but not so religious. I connect with my God easily but not a 3G church guy.

He made me and my siblings antisocial and introverted simply because he believed we shouldn't be involved in any social activities even sports. I still remember being beaten for playing soccer, he believes we would be influenced badly. Watching TV was a crime especially movies.

Fast forward to yesterday he rang my wife to check on us but the first question he asked was if we attend to church. I told him it's been raining and temperature was really low....then he started lamenting asking if I won't go to work if it wasn't Sunday,complaining about the country where I can't worship God...then to get me more exasperated he asked and insisted I tell him how many time I've been to church lately and how many times I've read d bible....I told him we've been attending but he insisted on a number.

This got me so mad that I stood up for myself under a heavy breathe as I do not want to disrespect him or hangup on him.I told him I do not appreciate being asked questions like a 10 yrs old boy and at my age I should know how to live my life and what's best for me.....he got angry and said goodbye and I guess he was still on d phone but I didn't know...I just hang up.....Now I've block him from reaching me ... planning to change my numbers.....but not any financial support. Only cutting all communication with him but not with my siblings as they mean more to me and I wanna see them through as much as God help me...

Please is this not an over reaction because I loved him as he's a very responsible man who puts the family first and strived to make us who we are. But we do not av a close relationship because of his believe even though he's been forcing it.

looooooooool... Ogagun!!! calm your tits down, you are supposed to call him back and let him know you arent a kid why block him on your phone when you can ignore his calls and call him when you are in the right frame of mind.

You will miss him when he is gone bros, no macho man for the thing. Show him love now, dont wait for when he is no more. Stand your ground but still let him know how much you love him.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Veetee(m): 3:15pm On Sep 18, 2017
My dad is a deeper lifer too so I get the brief,similar upbringing, strict and religious.. it's actually th best way to bring up kids it's just that they might take too far sometimes, they are probably trying to make u avoid certain mistakes in life. We didn't see the value then but now everything is clear

3 Likes

Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Nobody: 3:15pm On Sep 18, 2017
Beverly1:
Please is this not an over reaction ..

You know what you did jor. You are acting drama. If he ask you how many times tell am 1000. If you don't take church serious, then, you shouldn't heisitate to lie.

OP no give your old man heart attack. Na you go cry pass. Just say yes to whatever he asks and don't take yourself too serious. You don't need to disfather your father to prove you're a man. It seems that's what you're trying so hard to do.

Cut cord ke. Iffa land you backhand.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Zeze06(m): 3:18pm On Sep 18, 2017
Timbuktuo:

Adult children are super free to rebel against their parents when they become overbearing and too controlling. If you were married and your parent came to dictate what school your children were to attend would you just accede to their demands? OP's father was totally out of line. And while OP could have tactfully and respectfully handled the matter, I fault him not. Person wey dey for another country with wife and children? Come on.

The father will think twice about trying such stunts in the future with OP or his siblings.

I want to believe you are an adult so I will take it for granted that you know that not all issues are treated the same way, no parents will condescend to interfere in their children's trivial issues like deciding what school the children should go...

But issues of faith and religion, parents don't joke with this, even if you have a contrary opinion, don't shove it down your parent's throat.

Don't try to justify your rebellion to your parents, if not clearly evil parents, no parents would wish evil on their children.... That said.

To each his own...

1 Like

Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by stevecantrell: 3:21pm On Sep 18, 2017
I know it can be irritating but as long as he wasnt a selfish man or mean to you while growing up, you should go easy on him.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by nams77: 3:22pm On Sep 18, 2017
Beverly1:
yea I could have just lied but that's not my thing.... didn't even come to my head.....
Op take am easy. Abi you no sabi our Nigerian parents again? This is there way of caring for u grin. Remembered when I was an undergraduate, i had a misunderstanding with my dad ( can't remember what again) we both stuck to our guns. No one was willing to budge. That morning my dad was supposed to travel with my mum. They got into the car and drove off. A while later my dad came back. My mum called my aside and asked my to apologise, that my father was not himself on the steering wheel. I had to apologise and we both settled our difference before he was able to embark on that journey. So op, take things easy with the old boy

1 Like

Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Timbuktuo: 3:23pm On Sep 18, 2017
Zeze06:

1. I want to believe you are an adult so I will take it for granted that you know that not all issues are treated the same way, no parents will condescend to interfere in their children's trivial issues like deciding what school the children should go...

2. But issues of faith and religion, parents don't joke with this, even if you have a contrary opinion, don't shove it down your parent's throat.

3. Don't try to justify to your rebellion to your parents, if not clearly evil parents, no parents would wish evil on their children.... That said.

4. To each his own...

1. But they can demand from their children to recite the number of times they go to church in a given year, right Mr. Adult?

2. How can you say an adult asking refusing to answer a ridiculous question is "shoving a contrary opinion down his parent's throat?" You should reread the opening post so that you have an idea what you're arguing about.

3. An adult is an adult and should be treated as one. What if the OP has become an atheist, his father would travel to America and force him to attend church?

4. Lol. Nice cop out.

1 Like

Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Suspense12(m): 3:23pm On Sep 18, 2017
Op if you listen to what people are saying here, you will only regret it.

Fine, you have to explain to your dad better but he is only concerned about you and your spiritual life.

Do you know what it means to lose someone. I pray your dad doesn't die soon or else you would wish so much for more than just one more chance to talk to him.

Let him understand better how it is....but really if it was raining and cold, won't you still go to work?? We are all guilty of this, including me, we shouldn't second rate the place of God in our lives.

3 Likes

Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Nobody: 3:24pm On Sep 18, 2017
Beverly1:
Hi fellow Nlanders

I was born into Catholic faith and practice till I was 12 and I enjoyed it. My parent became deeper life member while we were living apart and now a pastor in that church. I re-united with them when I was 12 and since then I've been attending the church with them and still attend Catholic occasionally....I love the preaching from the founder of deeper life as he preaches the bitter truth but I believe most other young pastor see d church "doctrine" as commandment and so must be kept 100%.....the founder of the church addressed this issue several times but NO.

18 years on since we re-united, I'm a graduate, married and living abroad but my father still forcing his believe and doctrine on me. I considered myself spiritual but not so religious. I connect with my God easily but not a 3G church guy.

He made me and my siblings antisocial and introverted simply because he believed we shouldn't be involved in any social activities even sports. I still remember being beaten for playing soccer, he believes we would be influenced badly. Watching TV was a crime especially movies.

Fast forward to yesterday he rang my wife to check on us but the first question he asked was if we attend to church. I told him it's been raining and temperature was really low....then he started lamenting asking if I won't go to work if it wasn't Sunday,complaining about the country where I can't worship God...then to get me more exasperated he asked and insisted I tell him how many time I've been to church lately and how many times I've read d bible....I told him we've been attending but he insisted on a number.

This got me so mad that I stood up for myself under a heavy breathe as I do not want to disrespect him or hangup on him.I told him I do not appreciate being asked questions like a 10 yrs old boy and at my age I should know how to live my life and what's best for me.....he got angry and said goodbye and I guess he was still on d phone but I didn't know...I just hang up.....Now I've block him from reaching me ... planning to change my numbers.....but not any financial support. Only cutting all communication with him but not with my siblings as they mean more to me and I wanna see them through as much as God help me...

Please is this not an over reaction because I loved him as he's a very responsible man who puts the family first and strived to make us who we are. But we do not av a close relationship because of his believe even though he's been forcing it.

Wisdom bro!!! You don't need this stress at all.
Q: did you go to church today?
A: yes sir, service was great.

No be sin (lie), na wisdom.
You will have your peace!

My mum called yesterday to ask the same question when I was watching arsenal match, me I just said service was great, while I was romancing my bottle of Heineken.

1 Like

Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by moneyspeaking: 3:27pm On Sep 18, 2017
voiceoftruthNG:
My friend! Don't be silly. Go and apologise to him before you get God to contend with. U will not celebrate an old man who looks after ur soul when majority in his shoe will be asking for dollars. U piss me off honestly, no insult intended.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by moneyspeaking: 3:27pm On Sep 18, 2017
voiceoftruthNG:
My friend! Don't be silly. Go and apologise to him before you get God to contend with. U will not celebrate an old man who looks after ur soul when majority in his shoe will be asking for dollars. U piss me off honestly, no insult intended.

well said
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by moneyspeaking: 3:28pm On Sep 18, 2017
Suspense12:

Fine, you have to explain to your dad better but he is only concerned about you and your spiritual life.

Do you know what it means to lose someone. I pray your dad doesn't die soon or else you would wish so much for more than just one more chance to talk to him.

Let him understand better how it is....but really if it was raining and cold, won't you still go to work?? We are all guilty of this, including me, we shouldn't second rate the place of God in our lives.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by moneyspeaking: 3:29pm On Sep 18, 2017
chisabones:

looooooooool... Ogagun!!! calm your tits down, you are supposed to call him back and let him know you arent a kid why block him on your phone when you can ignore his calls and call him when you are in the right frame of mind.

You will miss him when he is gone bros, no macho man for the thing. Show him love now, dont wait for when he is no more. Stand your ground but still let him know how much you love him.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by moneyspeaking: 3:30pm On Sep 18, 2017
missjane:
OP I wish I had a father like yours. You are blessed. I would give anything to be in your shoes. My father is a deeply occultic man and you can imagine the state of affairs in my family. I have prayed tirelessly for his repentance but it seems it's nothing is happening.. Pls every day u kneel to pray, thank God first that you have a father who is going to any lenght to make sure you make Heaven n bond with Jesus whether he is going about it the right way or not.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Nobody: 3:34pm On Sep 18, 2017
Smile
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 18, 2017
Rubbish...

You father called you, complained about your not going to church often and you had a heated argument cos of this and now you plan to cut all communication with him.

Mumu. Because you still have dad. Billions of people 're wishing they have one that will at least call them about stuffs like this.

Cos you are abroad, your mindest has been renewed to think it's wrong for parents to ask questions about the lives and faith of their children.

If you observe very well, you will know there is a great divide btwn those with family guidiance and those without in the western world. The difference is very clear

If you like no talk to your dad forever; na your bloody biz. I really pity ur family cos you are obsessively petty.

And to think this bullcrap made front page is WONDERFUL!!

Rubbish!
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by joenor(m): 3:36pm On Sep 18, 2017
You are right bro, unblock him with time he's going to call u
Greenbullet:
Brother your father is a religious extremist, What you did was right , you have fixed a problem and created another , give your Father time , na him go call you.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Ochinex(m): 3:36pm On Sep 18, 2017
Beverly1:
Hi fellow Nlanders

You are foolish for doing what you did.. He knows and want the best for you.. What right do you have in disrespecting him and God? He only want you to be grounded in God's word..

Rain is falling, I will follow Jesus, Sun is shining I will follow Jesus. He asked a simple and straight forward question, if rain was falling , won't you go to work? you respected the work more than the person who gave you the work which is God. Make straight your ways. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Barywhyte(m): 3:37pm On Sep 18, 2017
Beverly1:
Hi fellow Nlanders

I just wished I had a father like yours!
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Nobody: 3:39pm On Sep 18, 2017
Greenbullet:
Brother your father is a religious extremist, What you did was right , you have fixed a problem and created another , give your Father time , na him go call you.
The best advice so far! He'll realise you're now an Adult, your own man with your family after some time and call you back. Trust me, I've been there at a point but mine wasn't about Religion. Sometimes you just have to stand your ground when it comes to Parents.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by mowapa(m): 3:40pm On Sep 18, 2017
Don't listen to the man jor, who is he to keep you in faith with God? ,come join the everlasting order of lucifer and Noone will ever ask if you've worshipped..
Dem dey tell you now,you come dey do yanga, one day you come be your papa age,then you go understand.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by ConcernedNL: 3:40pm On Sep 18, 2017
Beverly1:
Hi fellow Nlanders

Dont block your dad, Since you have stood up for yourself, maintain your stance though.
He is talking to you based on what he feels is right, so just cut him some slack. The next line of action for him wont be talking like that to you anymore but praying (LOL, We all need prayers right?).
Dont make the man develop a bp biko, just cut him some slack.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by yek: 3:43pm On Sep 18, 2017
yeap . . . u are going to hell
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by StaffofOrayan(m): 3:44pm On Sep 18, 2017
If you don't call him, your relationship won't be the first or last religion would break apart, its a potent drug, especially the fear based ones, My old man joined mfm and from having a library full of the most thought provoking philosophical books to books from Dr Olukoya about nightmares, witches, demons and all that crap. It does a number on a man that wants to believe, luckily I had read the Romans already went through the witchcraft stage of christianity in the 1600's. Sooner or later you have to let him know you have risen above that delusion, religion ain't spirituality, or you put on your lying jacket grin

1 Like

Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Mhyketh(m): 3:44pm On Sep 18, 2017
the fact that you knew him to be that religious, you could hav played along. No oda man can replace your father
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Skain(m): 3:51pm On Sep 18, 2017
Don't do that to your pop, just tell him what he wants to hear and you will all be happy.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by herrdeustch: 3:59pm On Sep 18, 2017
Op, what you did was fine.However, it will become bad if you dont go back to your dad and let him know that you are a man of your own now and that you are sorry for ending the call and blocking him. Also you need to establish to him that you are no longer spiritually accountable to him- he can ask after your spiritual wellbeing, but not control you;this is manipulation and is equivalent to witchcraft. I totally understand how you feel trust me.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by jaychubi: 4:00pm On Sep 18, 2017
Beverly1:
Hi fellow Nlanders

u cut ties with ur father bc he want you to go to heaven, bro u need serious spiritual deliverance. The old man has not done enough to waranty this treatment
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by JamesReacher(m): 4:02pm On Sep 18, 2017
Missonas:
So cos of this small thing u cutting ties? You'll become a dad someday too remember. Parents always go to the extremes but they mean no harm. You are just overeacting.
Some parents are reasonable, they don't always go to the extreme . Its not a small thing according to Op
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by jaxxy(m): 4:02pm On Sep 18, 2017
Beverly1:
Hi fellow Nlanders

Just learn to manage him. He obviously means well bt is just being overbearing. Like sm said tell him wat he wants to hear and make him happy atleast his not with u to confirm. Dont want him having high bp now.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by JamesReacher(m): 4:05pm On Sep 18, 2017
Suspense12:

Everybody go die abeg, no matter how good parents are, everybody dies.

1 Like

Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by benswagtt(m): 4:07pm On Sep 18, 2017
Beverly1:
Hi fellow Nlanders

People who praised you for your actions are misleading you... Even though dad might be a religious fanatic, he questions disturbing and somewhat annoying, don't forget he breed you and influenced the process of becoming who you are now.. He might be wrong with his approaches but it's for your own good. take a minute 2 look at the motive behind his actions, I believe they are for good not the other way round... So bro, I'll advice that you call him and apologize.. U shouldn't make him regret having you.. Parents can be annoying I know.. Instead of being the man whom you are when similar situations arises, be the child they have. Am not an advocate of lies ooo, but if u had tamed the situation by spicing it with little Lies (its bad though) this wouldn't have happen.. Happy reconciliation!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Children Of Woman Who Hired Assassin To Kill Her Husband: "Forgive Our Mum" / Is It Right For A Man To Bath His Own Daughter Who Is Over 3 Years? / Woman Strips Her 9-Year-Old Son For Stealing N5000 In Delta (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.