Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,555 members, 7,809,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

My New Cucumber Farm - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My New Cucumber Farm (18266 Views)

My Profitable Cucumber Farm . / My Cucumber Farm Dairy / Lady Shows Her Cucumber Farm In Anambra As She Goes For Harvest (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Nobody: 4:50pm On Mar 21, 2018
stocklot:
No , the germination rate was good . The problem was i read some where that milk helps in preventing fungal diseases . The seeds were soaked in milk prior to planting . The insects found the seeds to be tasty and ate the seeds up before they could germinate . The reason for planting is to try out high density farming . Currently we also have gherkins planted in the same method , but without dipping the seeds in milk . When i am at my farm I can get the pics for reference . Mine was more of research into various methods to help prevent fungal diseases . The 15 days mentioned is the time required for the manure and fertilisers to be mixed before applying on the farm prior to planting of the seeds or seedlings . Hope that clears the doubt .

No germination was not so good, and we all understood it that pests fed on them which happens to many farmers. Its not the milk you coated it with that made the melon palatable but they just love eating melon and cucumber seeds. But seriously, seed treatment is different from foliar infection management. That milk stops certain infection doesnt mean it can stop all fungi infections. You need to study deeper, which kind of infections will milk handle well? There are many kinds of fungi infections. And you are treating seed. Did you really think milk can get the job done? Well, maybe yes or no. You coated with milk to prevent fungi infection but pests still ate many seeds? Which kind of pest feasted on your melon seeds? How can you handle it? So, germination was not so good..

15 days after sowing, and you mix manure and fertiliser 15 days before or after sowing....very confusing. I am sorry, there was no doubt but mix-up. And it is far more unclear.

Please, let us leave aside the issues, doubts or whatever. Let us just focus on the result. Good job sir.
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by stocklot(m): 1:57pm On Mar 23, 2018
Hmmm .. the milk coated seeds were used as a trial without the use of seeds being dipped additionally in imidachloropid .IF the seeds had been treated with imidachloropid the germination would have been near perfect . The reason for treating seeds with milk was to avoid soil borne fungi .. not foliar borne fungi .. We also did try a few other organic methods like introducing viral cultures and bacterial cultures for pest and virus management . I hope you get the point .. fungal infection is different from pest or insect eating up the seeds . For basal fertiliser application you can apply before you plant the seed or if you compost manure and fertilisers then you can apply after 15 days of composting . When the seeds germinate the seedlings do not need much of fertilisers and it is perfectly right to apply fertilisers after 15 days also if the manure has composted .

fluentinfor:

No germination was not so good, and we all understood it that pests fed on them which happens to many farmers. Its not the milk you coated it with that made the melon palatable but they just love eating melon and cucumber seeds. But seriously, seed treatment is different from foliar infection management. That milk stops certain infection doesnt mean it can stop all fungi infections. You need to study deeper, which kind of infections will milk handle well? There are many kinds of fungi infections. And you are treating seed. Did you really think milk can get the job done? Well, maybe yes or no. You coated with milk to prevent fungi infection but pests still ate many seeds? Which kind of pest feasted on your melon seeds? How can you handle it? So, germination was not so good..

15 days after sowing, and you mix manure and fertiliser 15 days before or after sowing....very confusing. I am sorry, there was no doubt but mix-up. And it is far more unclear.

Please, let us leave aside the issues, doubts or whatever. Let us just focus on the result. Good job sir.

Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Nobody: 4:00pm On Mar 23, 2018
stocklot:
Hmmm .. the milk coated seeds were used as a trial without the use of seeds being dipped additionally in imidachloropid .IF the seeds had been treated with imidachloropid the germination would have been near perfect . The reason for treating seeds with milk was to avoid soil borne fungi .. not foliar borne fungi .. We also did try a few other organic methods like introducing viral cultures and bacterial cultures for pest and virus management . I hope you get the point .. fungal infection is different from pest or insect eating up the seeds . For basal fertiliser application you can apply before you plant the seed or if you compost manure and fertilisers then you can apply after 15 days of composting . When the seeds germinate the seedlings do not need much of fertilisers and it is perfectly right to apply fertilisers after 15 days also if the manure has composted .

It is time for me to define some technical terms so it can help you

1. Basal Application: Nutrients you apply before sowing seeds. Basal is an adjective which means forming or belonging to a bottom layer or base. Basal is what you do immediately after soil test. And then you sow.

2. Top dressing: When your plants are young and the roots are still near top soil, you top dress. If urea is involved, use soil to cover it to prevent evaporation of nitrate into air.

3. Side dressing: You dig holes near plants, place fertilizer in them, and cover. The distance of the holes to the plants depend on many factors.

4. Foliar Application: You feed your plants through leaves. You spray liquid or soluble fertilizer.

5. Fertigation: Passing of nutrients to plants through irrigation system. The best is through drip irrigation. This is the best form of applying fertilizer to non leafy vegetables.

6. Broadcasting: Best used for leafy vegetables like lettuce, basil, local veggie etc. And also used as basal.

Modern nutrient management has gone beyond olden theories like side dress or apply fertilizer after 15 days bla bla bla. If you are using fertigation, you may schedule daily fertilizer application, or weekly, or twice a week. See, plants feed like human. Gradual intake of nutrients. Granules were made because they dissolve gradually so they can last longer. Those powdery olden fertilizers were discontinued because after the first day, most nitrogen and potassium evaporate. But now that we have granules, they have binding materials which hold them for more days. Hope you get it. But if you use fertilgation, you just use soluble nutrients and use mathematics to calculate the amount you give your plants daily, biweekly or weekly. This is why fertigation is the best. Gradual feeding program. Super yield. Shikena!

Suggestion: I think you open a new thread for your work. It looks interesting. I will definitely make comments as you make progress. I suggest you leave this thread for OP so we all do not get confused. Your style is interesting and it should not come under any thread. It deserves a new thread.
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Nobody: 4:21pm On Mar 23, 2018
I really do not have time but the day I decide to open one or two threads, grin. It will be pure scientific approach. A form of online research which will cover many areas. I am just careful, and at the same time discouraged with the attitude of Nigerians. We just do not have the zeal to sacrifice time and resources to do new things. And when one is doing it, that is when attacks and many stupid things follow. It is why I have just been minding my business and making comments when I see anything interesting.

How I wish our educational system is improved. I think Bill Gates mentioned it too recently that education is below standard in Naija. Wake up Nigerians.

When I read comments and threads on nairaland, I shake my head that wisdom has departed from Naija. Content quality is zero on nairaland. Ha ba!

It is not that we do not have brains here. Yes, we have excellent brains. When the child of clothes seller starts wearing rags, the child of a butcher starts eating bones, and the legitimate child starts walking about on his feet aimlessly while the child of the slave starts riding horses and dictating stupidly, then, there is a big mess.

Most exceptional Nigerian brains are in diaspora. If they try to return to do good, they are axed down and sent back. I shake my head with the kind of content on this forum. Na wa oooo.

Let us pray for Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: My New Cucumber Farm by stocklot(m): 4:12pm On Mar 31, 2018
Bro .. It is not that i do not know the technical terms .. I always avoid the jargon as the person who needs to understand is a farmer and not a scientist .

fluentinfor:

It is time for me to define some technical terms so it can help you

1. Basal Application: Nutrients you apply before sowing seeds. Basal is an adjective which means forming or belonging to a bottom layer or base. Basal is what you do immediately after soil test. And then you sow.

2. Top dressing: When your plants are young and the roots are still near top soil, you top dress. If urea is involved, use soil to cover it to prevent evaporation of nitrate into air.

3. Side dressing: You dig holes near plants, place fertilizer in them, and cover. The distance of the holes to the plants depend on many factors.

4. Foliar Application: You feed your plants through leaves. You spray liquid or soluble fertilizer.

5. Fertigation: Passing of nutrients to plants through irrigation system. The best is through drip irrigation. This is the best form of applying fertilizer to non leafy vegetables.

6. Broadcasting: Best used for leafy vegetables like lettuce, basil, local veggie etc. And also used as basal.

Modern nutrient management has gone beyond olden theories like side dress or apply fertilizer after 15 days bla bla bla. If you are using fertigation, you may schedule daily fertilizer application, or weekly, or twice a week. See, plants feed like human. Gradual intake of nutrients. Granules were made because they dissolve gradually so they can last longer. Those powdery olden fertilizers were discontinued because after the first day, most nitrogen and potassium evaporate. But now that we have granules, they have binding materials which hold them for more days. Hope you get it. But if you use fertilgation, you just use soluble nutrients and use mathematics to calculate the amount you give your plants daily, biweekly or weekly. This is why fertigation is the best. Gradual feeding program. Super yield. Shikena!

Suggestion: I think you open a new thread for your work. It looks interesting. I will definitely make comments as you make progress. I suggest you leave this thread for OP so we all do not get confused. Your style is interesting and it should not come under any thread. It deserves a new thread.
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Itydee(m): 7:06pm On Apr 03, 2018
Hmm this guy you sure knows how to show arrogance. I didn't delete your number and there is no gain in lying. The way you show arrogance and are very uncouth with people just because we share interest in ordinary cucumber is amazing. I do not have to do the farming to be very successful in Cucumber business. I can market and do preservation. People are talking to me everyday. However, there was something I read in one of your mouth-offs that caught my interest that's why I asked for your miserable number. I can see the help and encouragement you give prospective newbies. I have never been this insulted online for any reason. It wasn't money from cucumber that we used to buy the expansive lands. I just want to delve into planting these stuff to help provide food for NIGERIANS AND SATISFY MY INTEREST IN NUTURING LIFE. I don't live off cucumber or farming. It is my hobby but I want to step it up. I had successful runs in the past on small scale which I share to friends and consume the rest,now I wanted to take it a notch higher. The challenge I had was the guys working for me were novices and wouldn't take instructions and the guy who was supposed to mentor me in large scale exposures, just as you were asked to help, deceived me and ran away with the money paid for several things. I closed down the farm due to security issues attached to the villagers I used as workers. There were threat of kidnapping me.and the sluggishness of my workers too. Today the farm is back and is doing well too. I have reduced cost and its working well reasonably. There were other areas I wanted to partner with you and see how we can work symbiotically. I'm talking of exposures running in excess of $m. However since your number is gold keep it for yourself I don't think I will ever need it or need you for anything. You are such a flippant and arrogant fellow abusing and insulting people all over the network. I follow some of your posts and I really wonder if you are that busy to have the time to respond with insults and abuses to almost everyone you have discussed with. No one is ever good enough for you. your best part is to pick faults and run others down just because you have some rudimentary idea of farming. If I want anything from you I KNOW EXACTLY HOW TO GET IT. Please DO NOT respond otherwise I will report you to the MODs. Just leave my Thread and let ME be. Cheap arrogance lipsrsealed sad angry angry angry
fluentinfor:

I have left the farm. I only asssited my friend there. I thought you are in the midst of professionals now. Do you want me to tell you the honest truth, I do not give my number out easily. Also, when I give it out, anyone who deleted me will have to live with it like that. I dont delete people like that cos I learned how to tame my temper more and more daily. I remember our chat very well and it is still on my phone. You deleted it, not that you lost it. And that is it.

Please, leave it and move on. Whatever, I can do, I will do it here for you. Just post the pictures of your farm. When I am online, I will make comments.

I receive mails daily the number of people my posts have helped. I can count up to 200 people who have ordered drip directly from China, US, India (more from china) with the help of my post on drip irrigation and set up. I explained all that is needed there.

I do not need anyone to train under me. Presently, I have 10 people undergoing free online training. I call it "Do it yourself". All from nairaland. Anyway, the training is the only one I will do this year. They bought seeds and nutrients themselves. I just felt like doing good.

All I hope is that those 10 people will develop the heart of humanitarianism, and not turn to "over billing consultants". I do not do more than I can chew. Those 10 only for this year. Maybe next year I will take more. The quality they get and how they can interprete the procedures are what will make them become excellent farmers.

You need to learn it well. It is not when you open 10 plots or go inside forest "Makibamtolo" one becomes a good farmer. Just using 10 sacks at home, that is enough. Then, go to farm and fimd out the challenges of farmers. I have listed many out. You cannot do beds yourself. Can you? So, you do not need to learn it. Outsource it. The only skill required is how to supervise it. Thats all. And mere reading how it is done can give you idea what you need to ask laborers do for you.

Make sure you finish installing bamboos, and other staking materials before you sow seeds.

There are modern tech one can use to reduce the tedious labor on cucumber farms. And there are steps one needs to take. If done well, one will have good yield. Staking is one. Manual training of crops to lines stressed the plants. Almost everyone uses manual style in Nigeria but when I tell what to do, most cannot afford it. But the result is super and the long term cost of production is so low.

Cucumber is money now in South West, South East and South South. Why? Cucumber and other vegetable kings from the north are keeping it cool now. They are boucing back.in November. Get yourself to the farm, make some cash now. Enter your shell in November and let the big boys operate then.

I could have suggested people coming together to farm but I cannot do that. Partnership or group.work always fail in Nigeria. So, do it yourself.
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Nobody: 8:46pm On Apr 03, 2018
Itydee:
Hmm this guy you sure knows how to show arrogance. I didn't delete your number and there is no gain in lying. [s] The way you show arrogance and are very uncouth with people just because we share interest in ordinary cucumber is amazing. [/s] I do not have to do the farming to be very successful in Cucumber business. I can market and do preservation. People are talking to me everyday. However, there was something [s] I read in one of your mouth-offs that caught my interest that's why I asked for your miserable number. [/s] I can see the help and encouragement you give prospective newbies. I have never been this insulted online for any reason. It wasn't money from cucumber that we used to buy the expansive lands. I just want to delve into planting these stuff to help provide food for NIGERIANS AND SATISFY MY INTEREST IN NUTURING LIFE. I don't live off cucumber or farming. It is my hobby but I want to step it up. I had successful runs in the past on small scale which I share to friends and consume the rest,now I wanted to take it a notch higher. The challenge I had was the guys working for me were novices and wouldn't take instructions and the guy who was supposed to mentor me in large scale exposures, just as you were asked to help, deceived me and ran away with the money paid for several things. I closed down the farm due to security issues attached to the villagers I used as workers. There were threat of kidnapping me.and the sluggishness of my workers too. Today the farm is back and is doing well too. I have reduced cost and its working well reasonably. There were other areas I wanted to partner with you and see how we can work symbiotically. I'm talking of exposures running in excess of $m. However since your number is gold keep it for yourself I don't think I will ever need it or need you for anything. [s] You are such a flippant and arrogant fellow abusing and insulting people all over the network. [/s] I follow some of your posts and I really wonder if you are that busy to have the time [s] to respond with insults and abuses to almost everyone you have discussed with [/s] No one is ever good enough for you. your best part is to pick faults and run others down just because you have some rudimentary idea of farming. If I want anything from you I KNOW EXACTLY HOW TO GET IT. Please DO NOT respond otherwise I will report you to the MODs. Just leave my Thread and let ME be. Cheap arrogance lipsrsealed sad angry angry angry

I do not think I have ever used terrible words like this on anyone. What I do is tell my view politely, though, it may be hard and tough, but not with direct insults. My kind of person tries to point out what I am unfamiliar with and brings out discussions from them. They can lead to debates which I do not think should end in insults. Check out the phrases or words I crossed out. Many Nigerians do not know how to argue without using direct insultive words. Emotion can take over, but a professional must learn to avoid using some words. You may express yourself explicitly such that the person you are addressing will get it right, and will not mess up with you again without using these kind of words. I think you will not get any job relating to diplomacy with these set of words.

I understand your zeal and passion but how you keep mentioning $ even when i chatted you still amazes me till date. Don't you really get it that some of us used to be engineers too at one time? And many of us had had high paid jobs or businesses, but our passion is Agric just like you. And the few of us who managed to be humble to learn found out that cucumber money can never be compared to oil and gas paying jobs. Chief! Sleep cannot stand death! I pray you get this cucumber right, then you will understand why those northerner friends of mine ship containers of cucumber all the way from Kaduna, Kano, Jos to Lagos. Also, that you see them in their simple native dresses with cool leather slippers hustling in the sun does not mean the suit wearing bankers or engineers in air conditioned offices worth more than their boys running errands. And then, you will realise that the so called job or business you cherish is nothing compared to Agriculture.

May God open your eyes of understanding in Jesus' name. This is not an insult but a prayer.

In addition, my prayer is that you grow to become a good farmer and then, you should be in my shoe. Well, you may handle the situation better, no saying you will not. But let us wait till then. Even when I was learning, I got many negative replies to my requests but I endured all. Today, when I looked back, I give kudos to some of the people cos I just try to imagine how many people played smart on their intelligence before I asked them questions. My prayer is that you become an expert soon and we will see how you will handle yourself.

Well, these kind of direct terrible words were what you gave me when I was the one who even was running after you trying to chat you then. My guess was that you felt I was one of those hungry consultants. Anyway, soft words and persistency get favor just like the story of the man who kept knocking the door for assistance in one of Jesus' parables. The same way you pushed me out of your chat is the same way you have pushed me out of your thread which I will obediently adhere to.

I just think it is a bad idea for you to make any report here because those crossed phrases and words of yours are enough to get you banned.

Finally, I am glad you have found good partners. It was my prayer for you. Sincerely, I pray you have bountiful harvest and may the good Lord make your business prosperous. Amen.

Keep following all my posts. Keep observing who I interact with. Keep reading every post of mine. Or maybe it is online stalking. Who knows? And keep passing judgements. I am happy that I am not irrelevant. But the truth is I do not even get to read any of your posts except I am mentioned.

Also, keep telling everyone you are super rich and you can afford to feed everyone. Keep doing all. Keep telling every farmer you meet you have the financial means to make them better if you partner with them. Just keep on doing all. Perhaps, it was the reason they always pretend to be nice and they run away later after making some free cash. You should ask yourself if this is ARROGANCY or not. (This is just a proverb here: That mad man in the street thinks everyone is mad, and he is the only sane person around. It is funny how he makes accusations first everytime.) And please come back online to show how arrogant someone else is again after reading this post of mine. Silence is the next strategy for such.

I leave in peace.

4 Likes

Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Emmafly(m): 4:37pm On May 11, 2018
stocklot:

hi stocklot, pls how do I get boron , potassium and calcium supplement within Lagos. can't seem to get it at ikorodu sabo market. I need it very urgent. any one in the house can also suggest. my cucumbers are two weeks old and doing great thanks to how you itemized the steps. I soaked the seeds in imidachloropid and got about 95% germination and sustained rate at two weeks. about to apply npk 15:15:15 as I type. thanks for your advice.
fluentinfor has also done great. i can understand his strong tone. only a passionate farmer can use such cos he will not like others to tread the path of failure. he is one to be followed step by step no matter his tone. as he said, no drip no farming except during the rain. tried hand wetting when I just planted the cukes as rain didn't fall then, it was messy. seeds were in the ground but did not germinate for about five days. I was afraid cos they might get cooked up in the soil due to excess heat.

1 Like

Re: My New Cucumber Farm by stocklot(m): 8:35am On May 20, 2018
Hello Emma , Sorry for the late post . I am not really aware of boron , potassium or calcium supplement within lagos . Googling online gave me this though http://www.dizengoff.com/Fertilizers . You can call them and find out if they stock them .

Congrats on achieving 95 % germination rate . Sometimes , the seeds are sowed deeper and it takes a while for the sprouts to show up . Now , the most important thing is insecticide . Continue imidachloropid 2 weeks once , and try to mix different insecticides like profenophos so that the insects do not become resistant . If insects are managed fine , you do not have to worry about funal disease spread that much .

You can also use urea now to promote vigorus growth of the plants as well . When in flowering stage do not use urea .
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Nobody: 12:58am On May 30, 2018
There is big element of pride in all your posts! The post is alone is enough to discourage people

quote author=fluentinfor post=64397372]I may insist on drip; however, a lady I met on nairaland convinced me that she will go with manual irrigation and get the job done. Her determination and style was unique. I was flabbergasted. That was when I relaxed, and her choice of crops suit the style she decided to adopt. Recently, she is the one sending me materials to even read to have another perspective of cultivating. And we discussed marketing, and other technical aspects. I have learned so much from her. I showed her where to get some seeds, before I realise what was happening, she showed me where to get some seeds too, and even got me the producer recommendations for the seeds which are what I need at this time. It happened recently to be precised. After all, I do not see myself extremely harsh. If a lady can make me buy into manual irrigation just because of her unique style, it says a lot.

I do not mean to have any element of pride in my posts. And if there is, it is not intentional. Please forgive me. [/quote]
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Nobody: 6:20am On May 31, 2018
Googleski001:
There is big element of pride in all your posts! [s]The post is alone is enough to discourage people[/s]

My posts are indeed enough to discourage you to the extent you had to send me an email after your very first post on nairaland.

Sir, you do not need this kind of attitude. Honestly, it will get you nowhere. New professionals you boasted of having, and new people talking to you cannot get the job done again. Right? It is already 60 days after you boasted you will get it done but you hit a bigger rock. Huh? You have wasted another "chicken change" and it is itching you. Lol. You are not to feel the loss since you have a fat salary job. Or am I wrong?

I wonder how you would have blasted me again, and flooded this thread with pictures of your new farm if it was a success. And I expect you to come out and post pictures of a fake farm just to discredit my post because it is who you are.

Chief! A go boast this time. Infact, I go use "pridoooo" talk am. People like you always come back. But you are extremely short tempered. grin

You opened a new account, and the very first post is to fault another user. On top, you sent an email (message) secretly to the person you faulted. You criticized publicly to lick "ass" privately. What kind of obession and desperation is that? Following me about, knowing about all my posts? Na wa oooo! Bro, you can never meet me. My life is precious. Attached is a screen shot as a proof

People like you are the main reasons I do not invite guests or newbies to my farms. Theft was eradicated on my farms as soon as I stopped it. Also, Vandalism was curbed drastically. You would send crazy people to destroy my farm if I allowed you visit one with this obsession and desperation together with your pride and "over sabi" attitude.

I leave you to God to deal with. You are trying to use words to assassinate my person.

2 Likes

Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Delgi(m): 5:14am On Jun 03, 2018
fluentinfor:

My posts are indeed enough to discourage you to the extent you had to send me an email after your very first post on nairaland.

Sir, you do not need this kind of attitude. Honestly, it will get you nowhere. New professionals you boasted of having, and new people talking to you cannot get the job done again. Right? It is already 60 days after you boasted you will get it done but you hit a bigger rock. Huh? You have wasted another "chicken change" and it is itching you. Lol. You are not to feel the loss since you have a fat salary job. Or am I wrong?

I wonder how you would have blasted me again, and flooded this thread with pictures of your new farm if it was a success. And I expect you to come out and post pictures of a fake farm just to discredit my post because it is who you are.

Chief! A go boast this time. Infact, I go use "pridoooo" talk am. People like you always come back. But you are extremely short tempered. grin

You opened a new account, and the very first post is to fault another user. On top, you sent an email (message) secretly to the person you faulted. You criticized publicly to go lick "ass" privately. What kind of obession and desperation is that? Following me about, knowing about all my posts? Na wa oooo! Bro, you can never meet me. My life is precious. Attached is a screen shot as a proof

People like you are the main reasons I do not invite guests or newbies to my farms. Theft was eradicated on my farms as soon as I stopped it. Also, Vandalism was curbed drastically. You would send crazy people to destroy my farm if I allowed you visit one with this obsession and desperation together with your pride and "over sabi" attitude.

I leave you to God to deal with. You are trying to use words to assassinate my person.

Hmmmm, is Googleski001= Itydee? or a new hater? Silently following and laughing my ass off. Ogbeni Googleski001, learn what you can from the guy and leave the judgement to your pastor/Daddy G.O. jare.
Fact, most intellectuals come off as brash and proud or even outright arrogant. If you check your ego at the door and really get to know them, you'll realize they are just teddy bears deep down.
Fluentinfor, abeg screenshots of the secret email will really make my day. Hahaha.
Spread love and not hate y'all. PEACE.

1 Like

Re: My New Cucumber Farm by jerryadindu123(m): 7:40pm On Jun 14, 2018
Business plan on vegetable farming: cucumber farming for sell.. The plan is farming on a 2acre farm land
Contact me if you need it.

Or if you want a knowledge on business plan writing.. .i have an e-book on that
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Itydee(m): 6:39pm On Jul 27, 2018
Naaaah.
I cant go down so low. I don't hide under any pseudo-names to score cheap points. Googlesi or whatever moniker is another dude with dislike for arrogant loud mouths.
Cucumber is not life. For some of us these are mere hobbies honestly. We get our kick from tilling the ground and watching it grow to life. we dash the proceeds to the poor and friends.
Call us any thing you like its your business. I venture into areas unknown. Sometimes we get our fingers burnt sometimes we break even. We consider all experiences worthwhile.
So there is no need to brag over calls and humility or sorts. if you habour knowledge and I so much desire it I will surely stoop to conquer. Though not at the expense of my life sha. I have gained enough experience with cucumber farming though my challenges were not human or lack of knowledge but cows from the Fulani herdsmen who broke into my farm and the cows used their hooves to scatter all the vines. They don't actually eat cucumber but they did that as a revenge on one of my former worker who was a party to shooting and killing one of their cows. Unknown to the herders that he was just a hired hand they came and destroyed the farm in anger. We have made our reports to police and have converted the farm to some other useful avenues after sorting it out with the village and the herders.
I have ventured into Sweet potatoes. Have I smiled to the bank?? your guess is as good as mine. I would have actually smiled to the bank. as my rule I don't like selling my proceeds. The harvest was amazing I have dashed a lot of the tubers out to friends. Still harvesting small small and giving to who has food needs. I did only 6 plots as pilot and have recently increased it to 16 plots. I hope to expand into the entire 40 Plots before middle of August. its a 4 months venture or 3 months as the case maybe depending on the variety. We might do cucumber again, though on a smaller scale if the rains go down.
Delgi:

Hmmmm, is Googleski001= Itydee? or a new hater? Silently following and laughing my ass off. Ogbeni Googleski001, learn what you can from the guy and leave the judgement to your pastor/Daddy G.O. jare.
Fact, most intellectuals come off as brash and proud or even outright arrogant. If you check your ego at the door and really get to know them, you'll realize they are just teddy bears deep down.
Fluentinfor, abeg screenshots of the secret email will really make my day. Hahaha.
Spread love and not hate y'all. PEACE.
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Itydee(m): 5:18pm On Sep 07, 2018
is Flentifor tired of sounding off here?
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by gamacityconcept(f): 6:35am On Feb 24, 2019
Itydee:
I have acquired 18 plots of land to start my new cucumber farm.
Stay tuned as we progress the process of making it a reality.
Do u have a cucumber farm expert managing the farm for u?? Please I think I need one
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by gamacityconcept(f): 7:13am On Feb 24, 2019

From my experience with cucumber, it is one of the best and at the same time most delicate crop among vegetables. Also, it is a crop which sales is extremely high or fairly good If you do not allow market women to cheat you.

Since it is delicate, it is not just the nutrient management you pay attention to. You pay attention to your spraying formular. Again doing everything at the right time matters a lot. For example staking.

Just look at the pictures posted again by owner of the farm, i can tell you that his plants are in trouble. They are stressed.

My brother, I do not attend to anyone who does not have drip system or just asking me information anyhow. But I help as many people as possible that I see are willing to help themselves. If I tell you to buy drip and you keep saying it is expensive but I see you buying some stupid things, I will just ignore. It is a privilege for me to even talk to anyone. When I started, those who called themselves consultants hid all information from us.

Mind you, someone sells drip on this nairaland and as soon as he saw my posts he quickly added some parts from mine to his thread. Just copied from my write up. Such is life. Anyway, we have been in the game for long. Anyone who cares to listen should. We do not force anyone to listen..

Kindly send me email. Please, make sure you have drip irrigation. If not, please, do not bother to mail me. It is time to give counsel to who is ready to accept it, and not just to everybody.

Please I need u to be my consultant on my farming venture. I do not mind adding you to my payroll. Please contact us through this phone number. 08078525583
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Jamesrock(m): 10:52am On Feb 26, 2019

I do not think I have ever used terrible words like this on anyone. What I do is tell my view politely, though, it may be hard and tough, but not with direct insults. My kind of person tries to point out what I am unfamiliar with and brings out discussions from them. They can lead to debates which I do not think should end in insults. Check out the phrases or words I crossed out. Many Nigerians do not know how to argue without using direct insultive words. Emotion can take over, but a professional must learn to avoid using some words. You may express yourself explicitly such that the person you are addressing will get it right, and will not mess up with you again without using these kind of words. I think you will not get any job relating to diplomacy with these set of words.

I understand your zeal and passion but how you keep mentioning $ even when i chatted you still amazes me till date. Don't you really get it that some of us used to be engineers too at one time? And many of us had had high paid jobs or businesses, but our passion is Agric just like you. And the few of us who managed to be humble to learn found out that cucumber money can never be compared to oil and gas paying jobs. Chief! Sleep cannot stand death! I pray you get this cucumber right, then you will understand why those northerner friends of mine ship containers of cucumber all the way from Kaduna, Kano, Jos to Lagos. Also, that you see them in their simple native dresses with cool leather slippers hustling in the sun does not mean the suit wearing bankers or engineers in air conditioned offices worth more than their boys running errands. And then, you will realise that the so called job or business you cherish is nothing compared to Agriculture.

May God open your eyes of understanding in Jesus' name. This is not an insult but a prayer.

In addition, my prayer is that you grow to become a good farmer and then, you should be in my shoe. Well, you may handle the situation better, no saying you will not. But let us wait till then. Even when I was learning, I got many negative replies to my requests but I endured all. Today, when I looked back, I give kudos to some of the people cos I just try to imagine how many people played smart on their intelligence before I asked them questions. My prayer is that you become an expert soon and we will see how you will handle yourself.

Well, these kind of direct terrible words were what you gave me when I was the one who even was running after you trying to chat you then. My guess was that you felt I was one of those hungry consultants. Anyway, soft words and persistency get favor just like the story of the man who kept knocking the door for assistance in one of Jesus' parables. The same way you pushed me out of your chat is the same way you have pushed me out of your thread which I will obediently adhere to.

I just think it is a bad idea for you to make any report here because those crossed phrases and words of yours are enough to get you banned.

Finally, I am glad you have found good partners. It was my prayer for you. Sincerely, I pray you have bountiful harvest and may the good Lord make your business prosperous. Amen.

Keep following all my posts. Keep observing who I interact with. Keep reading every post of mine. Or maybe it is online stalking. Who knows? And keep passing judgements. I am happy that I am not irrelevant. But the truth is I do not even get to read any of your posts except I am mentioned.

Also, keep telling everyone you are super rich and you can afford to feed everyone. Keep doing all. Keep telling every farmer you meet you have the financial means to make them better if you partner with them. Just keep on doing all. Perhaps, it was the reason they always pretend to be nice and they run away later after making some free cash. You should ask yourself if this is ARROGANCY or not. (This is just a proverb here: That mad man in the street thinks everyone is mad, and he is the only sane person around. It is funny how he makes accusations first everytime.) And please come back online to show how arrogant someone else is again after reading this post of mine. Silence is the next strategy for such.

I leave in peace.

Hello Farmers.
I am a serving youth Corp member in Lagos and I’ll be passing out by November this year. I have always loved agriculture because I don’t want to work for anyone and all my life I have been independent.
I am here to seek best Advice on plans for my CUCUMBER farm.
I already have 2 plot of Land somewhere in Ijebu.

But the question is I have dis 80k I want to use and start my farm. Below is the estimate I have after discussing with a friend. But I’m here to seek more advice...

Whatsapp:- 07062342648

PLS LET NO ONE DISCOURAGE ME,

THANKS AS YOU INPUT YOUR MATURED ADVICE
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Jamesrock(m): 6:56pm On Feb 27, 2019
Very interesting. I was reluctant to make any comment but maybe my suggestions will help you.

You spent N30,000 on seeds, if hybrid, it should be around 150 grams and you really should not expect more than 85% germination rate with the seeds around. Or did you think you are getting 100% germination rate? Gone are the days I used to get over 95%. Such are the seeds we have now.

Yes, crickets eat cucumber seeds during this period. I really do not know what option you have if you are doing organic but if inorganic, Dimethoate 40 % EC will help you. Spray every evening and morning till seeds germinates. After germination, use common sense in spraying as they can still eat young seedlings. 2 weeks duration is too long. You may alternate with another active systemic ingredient. Honestly, you need very strong pesticides to survive the first 10 days Afterwards, reduce spraying chemical drastically but do not leave out Imidaclorid so you can combat thrips, aphids and Whitefies. Also, get your fungicides ready.

I am not scaring you but how on earth do you think you can manage using hose only to irrigate your cucumber well. Honestly, I am still shocked many still want to farm like our olden grandparents. Did they have succesful agricultural system? If they do not, how do you think you will be succesful using their style. The first equipment you suppose to buy even before seed is your drip irrigation. I do not know why most users here think using hose is wise. Anyway, I do no know how you will perform with this style of irrigation. Honestly. You may be tough to scale through but as for me, I do not farm to land myself in any hospital. I have never used my profit to treat myself afterward. Let us be smart.

Ok, you need to irrigate morning and evening, and it may take hours, look at your plant spacing. It means you are going to stake. Hahahhaa. You will stake and irrigate manually. Bro, I cannot just but pity what is going to happen there. After staking one 50g can seed , you will hear it. Hope you have paracetamol. And if you had to pay for making your beds, it means you do not have full time workers. No full time workers for staked cucumbers? Bro, you are also going to prune. grin

Anyway, I think you should get one or two full time workers fast. You can still make it. Next time, farm with drip irrigation. I repeat, get your drip. It is not even too late, if you have cash with you, quickly get your drip irrigation.

I wish you the best.

Pls sir, I really need ur number as I want to start my cucumber farm with just 80k
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Ken4agent(m): 10:57pm On Feb 27, 2019
jidestroud:
Interesting thread. I'm here to learn.

18 plots of land? That's 3 acres...that's a lot to start with going into cucumber farming (my opinion though). I also want to believe you have done a very thorough feasibility study all the way to marketing your cucumber; your guess is as good as mine what a 3 acres cucumber farm would give you under proper management.

Moreso, I do hope you have an experienced cucumber expert supervising your project. This isn't a gamble biko. This is real investment, and internet cucumber farming advice may just not cut it for you.

Nevertheless, wishing you all the best. God's speed and definitely a bumper harvest.

U said it all, wen investing in cultivation of crop, we always advise you learn as an aprentist from an experience farmer for as long as you get all the directions needed after which u can safely set up yours. Or you may hire the service if an expert if you are engaged with other work.

Cash spent in any of the two is never a waste because it secure your investment and minimise lost in produce and cash...it also save quality time where you have to start allnover because you didn't get it right at first.

If you do it right, u get it right
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Itydee(m): 4:32pm On Mar 14, 2019
Thanks all of you. I have walked away from Cucumber for now due to the diseases and dry season. Will give it a try again when the rains starts coming down a bit. The cost of irrigation is killing sha. I'm now into other things.

1 Like

Re: My New Cucumber Farm by pamcode(m): 2:35pm On Sep 13, 2021
Booking Number: 55BVHQR
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by AllAnglesFarm: 4:02pm On Jun 02, 2022
Farmers in the house, I have 3acreas of land with bolehore to sell, suitable for farming and building located in Agbowa iganke, ikorodu Lagos. I also have items on my farm to sell out like 3000Lbaaf, drip line, insecticides etc at reduced price, Call or chat me on 07069308901 if interested
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Itydee(m): 6:28pm On Mar 27, 2023
Good evening farmers in the house. How is the season doing with your guys. I'm back into cucumber again. Will be updating with the new effort.
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Ayemileto(m): 12:16am On Dec 15, 2023
Let me just drop the details here as I have received too many messages that I cannot start replying everyone.

Which type of drip?
There are two kinds of drip irrigation systems. One that has embedded emmiters and one that you drill holes into by yourself and fix emitters on the holes. Embedded is cheaper; hence, it is what you should use.

Thickness
I recommend you pick 0.3mm and above. 0.2mm is too common in Nigeria. It is ok for gravity fed systems but if you are usig pressure like me, the day you set it up is the day it starts bursting here and there. It is too light for my kind of work. In short, you can only enjoy it in its first season. After, you will not like it again. Better to take 0.4mm but 0.3mm is ok. The thicker the drip, the more expensive it is.

Rate of Flow:
Anything 1L/hr is ok but I prefer you choose 2L/hr and above.

Size:
16mm diameter is more appropriate.

Spacing:
Most people choose 30cm emitter spacing but really I do not know why. When they want to cultivate another crop that needs more spacing, they tell you to skip the next emitter. If you have 1,000m drip, this is like 3,333 emitters which should handle 3,333 plants. But skipping every other emitter slashed it to 1,667 plants. And it means you keep wasting fuel on the other 1,667 spaces you skipped. Also, you will be discouraged to use fertigation as you will waste fertilizer on 1,667 spaces feeding weed. Well, do not just go for 30cm. I know most sellers will just tell you 30cm bla bla bla. Know about the kinds of crops you want to cultivate. If it is cucumber and you are in a downy mildew infected area, choose 40cm or 50cm. If you are the type who cultivates cucumber, tomato and watermelon, 50cm is more appropriate. You can imagine using 30cm to cultivate watermelon. You will have to skip every 2 emitters and plant on every other.

Fertigation:
Learn how to use it. It saves you so much. All those 1 inch venturis will take you no where in my own opinion. Well, the cheapest kit is still venturi but it works under minimum of 2 bar. Gravity will not work as it is around 0.2bar.

Filter:
I avoid using it except the water source is terribly dirty. Filter reduces pressure so much but I always have it around and I just remove the disc or mesh inside when I do not need it. When i need it, I fix it. Use 120 to 130 mesh filter.

I always cut my drip into 40m length which means my beds are usually 40cm length. Many times I have used 50 - 60m if i have high water pressure.

Main Line
This is the line that runs across the top of all your beds where the drip lines are connected to and where fertigation not and filter are connected. Many use 1 inch. If you have more than one acre, I suggest you use minimum of 2 inches. Infact, if you use mud pump of 3 inches, do not reduce it. Lay 3 inches across your farm as this will give you super volume of water and the pressure wil be high. You may be able to irrigate half of your farm at once or maybe your whole farm at once.

Connectors:
Valve connectors to the main pipes (make sure it has valve, do not buy the ones without valve. What I see around are those without valves). Seller are not farmers, they buy what they profit more on.

End caps:
Insist on buying this too. I have used sticks only to tie the end of my lines but they aren't the best.

Connectors of drip lines:
I doubt if sellers give you this. But you will have bursts, so you need these to connect your lines without leakags.

How many drip lines do I need per acre?
My recommendation is 1 km per plot. If cucumber, it is around 1km per plot. If watermelon, it may be around 1/4km to 1/2km per plot depending on your spacing. So, it is a wrong question to ask how many km do I need per acre. Very wrong and naive question. It is cos the buyers are naive is the reason sellers customized 4km per acre. To know what quantity you need for a particular crop, you must know the spacing you need. The bed spacing, row spacing, and most importantly, your arithmetic must be sound.

For example watermelon:
1 acre = 4,000 sqm.
Let say your beds are 40m long.
So, it means you have 100m × 40m land
If you have 2m btw rows, you will have about 51 lines. So, you need just 51 × 40 = 2040m. You can simply pick 2km. If you have more than 2m btw rows, you need less and if it is smaller, you need more. So, you see that you limit yourself by not knowing the details of drip irrigation. Sellers are not farmers, stop listening to them. However, there are sellers that are good.

1 acre cucumber:
40m beds long.
Let's say you make your beds 80cm and walk path 40cm, you will have around 83 beds. You then have two lines per bed. So, you have 166 lines. In total, you need 6,666m (6.6km.) But many sellers tell you need 4km just because they also do not know or because they do not want the wahala of explaining too much. . Ok. If you make your beds 1m width, and path way 50cm, you need less. So, this is it. You must know what you are doing and not just dive into farming like a Jaguar.

I am a very busy person and may not be able to attend to every inquiry as I receive too many mails daily.

Hope this helps.

Thank you 👍

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mushroom Cultivation Simplified / Drip Irrigation For Vegies ACRE and HECTARE Kit... Talk to us / Feeding My Fishes With Maggots, Is There Any Side Effects??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 182
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.